Missing september...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

Missing september...

Could be the best thing for us.

we load up with a top 10 pick, get a full pre season in.

Cut the list hard AGAIN - Peake, Polo, Clarke etc go

let pelchen work the trade table - hopefully snag us our Josh Gibson.

And Just like the CHicago bulls in "98", We let the Guns know this is the last time, last chance.

Hayes, milney,dal,roo,joey etc Have one last chance to roll the dice together before we blow it all up.

Pre season starts early oct, senior guys back mid way. Send the group away overseas rejuvenate and set the goal of winning "the flag in 13".

This year has shown me if anything we are only needing a slight tweak to challenge.WE HAVE BEEN COMPETITIVE EVERY GAME.

In which we were in with a chance to win until mid way through the 4th.

Thoughts?

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Re: Missing september...

My thoughts win the last 4 make September and see what happens.

Like you said we have been in every game this year,

If we don't make it then i love ur thinking.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
sainter#4
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:My thoughts win the last 4 make September and see what happens.

Like you said we have been in every game this year,

If we don't make it then i love ur thinking.

we are closer and better then anyone gives us credit for, but we need to be smarter. Ross,LEdger,Siposs, Milera, markworth etc should be given games from now until seasons end.Send the players for surgery eg fish - shoulder, saad - knee etc

2013 is the final shot, milney and lenny will be cooked after that.Rooey will be much the same.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

sainter#4 wrote:let pelchen work the trade table - hopefully snag us our Josh Gibson.
What's wrong with our backline as it stands? Cloke kicked one last night and Dawes kicked two. The only talls who have really got on top of us all year are Buddy, Jack Riewoldt and Petrie - pretty much the best of the best.

I also think the obsession with freeing up Sam Fisher is completely contrary to the effort going into having BJ play a more accountable game. It's far harder to find a brilliant two-way defender the way Sam is than somebody who can float back and intercept and drive the play the other way. Key forwards have to be far more alert with Sam playing on them. Cloke had to have at least though of the time Fisher had 42 on him at some point in the lead up to the game.

If we add Dowler or somebody like him at low cost, fine. I'd still rather have them float and let Fisher play KPD. Wasting cap space on Chaplin or tradeable assets on Mitch Brown I'm far less excited about. Most of the time it's Fisher 1, Gwilt 2 and Simpkin 3 with Gears and Dempster in support and it seems to be working pretty well. Freeing up Gwilt might work, but I'm not sure he's as well suited to the smaller players. At 188/94, Jimmy's pretty similar shape to Gibson (189/92).

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:let pelchen work the trade table - hopefully snag us our Josh Gibson.
What's wrong with our backline as it stands? Cloke kicked one last night and Dawes kicked two. The only talls who have really got on top of us all year are Buddy, Jack Riewoldt and Petrie - pretty much the best of the best.

I also think the obsession with freeing up Sam Fisher is completely contrary to the effort going into having BJ play a more accountable game. It's far harder to find a brilliant two-way defender the way Sam is than somebody who can float back and intercept and drive the play the other way. Key forwards have to be far more alert with Sam playing on them. Cloke had to have at least though of the time Fisher had 42 on him at some point in the lead up to the game.

If we add Dowler or somebody like him at low cost, fine. I'd still rather have them float and let Fisher play KPD. Wasting cap space on Chaplin or tradeable assets on Mitch Brown I'm far less excited about. Most of the time it's Fisher 1, Gwilt 2 and Simpkin 3 with Gears and Dempster in support and it seems to be working pretty well. Freeing up Gwilt might work, but I'm not sure he's as well suited to the smaller players. At 188/94, Jimmy's pretty similar shape to Gibson (189/92).
Cant agree re Fisher.

Sure, he can do the job as key fwd stopper............but we sorely miss his drive out of defence we've enjoyed previous years.

Goddard isnt in the same situation - hes a mid that needs to be able to win his own ball and hurt side fwd of centre as he did last night early. Fisher IS a defender. Should we find someone who can handle a Petrie.......a Tippett (who kills us everytime) even a Pavlich allowing Fisher some licence our defence becomes far more attacking.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree Tef

Avg 2.9 score involvements per game last year, as a defender.

I can't help but imagine the impact he'd have on games this year with what has to be said, more licence to the creative defenders.

I love Dempster as a defender, and look forward to it continuing...however if we had someone else to play FB, Fisher is just so clever with his ball use and makes his possessions really count.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:we load up with a top 10 pick, get a full pre season in.
it won't be a top 10 pick unless we finish 11th, and possibly not even then, given the number of compensation picks out there. but i don't completely disagree with the rest of your post.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cannot see one benifit of missing the finals. Not one.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cannot see one benifit of missing the finals. Not one.
longer break
higher draft picks
we'll finally stop deluding ourselves.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:we'll finally stop deluding ourselves.
Now there's another fine potential sig....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cannot see one benifit of missing the finals. Not one.
Agree.

I lived through the 80's so I never EVER want to wish us not to make the finals.

Some of you lot are either deluded or too young to know any better.

I'm sure that is plugger's reason for wanting us to make the eight.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

As stated there are benefits in missing the Finals.

However they should be seem as a consolation prize and not as the ultimate goal.

Just aim to do our best over the next 4 weeks and see where that takes us.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Missing the finals as a "benefit" :shock: :? We can NEVER do anything in September....if we're not there! Some of these kids can benefit from the experience of September action. So for me its GO FOR THE EIGHT Saints!!!! (however difficult it's looking right now)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think Melbourne has shown us the effects on team psychology of not striving to win each and every game.
We're in the hunt. It must be our focus.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+100000000000000!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The only beneficiary of missing the finals from my point of view is my Mastercard.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
paddy
Club Player

While i understand that from a list point of view, missing the 8 may make a little difference...

but the benefit of making finals again this year will be seen in our Membership numbers (5k down on last year, because everyone assumed that we'd slide like a fat kid in a tobbogan)

more members means more sponsors, which we are down on last year too...

so for mine, it is praying we make the finals...

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Making the finals (forget the premiership) will be good for the Club - membership & sponsors. It will also give a few of the new young guys a "taste" of finals football, which will be a great lead in to next year.
As a supporter, why would you "want" to miss the finals!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I may be wrong, but didn't the Hawks have a year or two like this? Couldn't buy a close win?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't the Hawks have a year or two like this? Couldn't buy a close win?

Yep but their best players werent either close to 30 or over 30 at the time.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't the Hawks have a year or two like this? Couldn't buy a close win?

Yep but their best players werent either close to 30 or over 30 at the time.
you fill me with such joy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.