Where are the umpire apologists tonight?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where are the umpire apologists tonight?

The only thing you could say in their favour is that they must have been intimidated by the very strongly collingwood crowd. If they gave one against the Pies they would seem to manufacture one against us to compensate. I watched the game with a Saints supporter and 2 Pies supporters and they we're even saying they were gifted the game but were happy to take it.

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

"he should be along in an hour or so....."

I thought so too. Even he is embarrassed. His silence speaks volumes. (I'm sure he will claim to have been out of the country on holiday when we FINALLY do hear something)

Nothing can be said is the reality.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

By the sounds of it I was glad i was out last night and didn't have to sit through an obvious travesty.

I have only watch the last free kick and Milne actually did hit O'Briens arm on the first touch. I cant put it in context as i haven't seen the game and probably would get called incidental contact on other occasions but Milne did contact O'briens arm.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:By the sounds of it I was glad i was out last night and didn't have to sit through an obvious travesty.

I have only watch the last free kick and Milne actually did hit O'Briens arm on the first touch. I cant put it in context as i haven't seen the game and probably would get called incidental contact on other occasions but Milne did contact O'briens arm.

I dont beleive people actually wait for me to comment on umpires. Sad life. The Milne free was certainly technically there but the problem with paying those really technical ones is you could pay 100 frees in game. Umpires make mistakes and I thought they made a few last night but claims of cheating are very funny. The pies have had a bigger gap in frees than us. Do umpires only cheat for the pies when play us.

The only good thing about the Milne non free is it would have made no difference to our finals hopes had it no been paid. Lets face it some of skills last night especially in the last quarter cost us more than the umpires. Why did Kosi even do that kick anyway.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:By the sounds of it I was glad i was out last night and didn't have to sit through an obvious travesty.

The Milne free was certainly technically there but the problem with paying those really technical ones is you could pay 100 frees in game. Umpires make mistakes and I thought they made a few last night but claims of cheating are very funny. The pies have had a bigger gap in frees than us. Do umpires only cheat for the pies when play us.

Yeah that sums up that free kick from my objective (non emotional because i wasn't at the game and not involved)

The technicallity will be what Geischen hangs his hat on in defending the umpire.

So everyone dont be suprised and upset when that happens.

Problem with incompetent umpires is that if we keep slagging them the standard will only get worse as less and less people will want to officiate.

I understand the emotion of an inconsistant umpiring display, but the umpiring pool doesn't have an inexhaustable supply.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I dont beleive people actually wait for me to comment on umpires. Sad life. The Milne free was certainly technically there but the problem with paying those really technical ones is you could pay 100 frees in game. Umpires make mistakes and I thought they made a few last night but claims of cheating are very funny. The pies have had a bigger gap in frees than us. Do umpires only cheat for the pies when play us.

The only good thing about the Milne non free is it would have made no difference to our finals hopes had it no been paid. Lets face it some of skills last night especially in the last quarter cost us more than the umpires. Why did Kosi even do that kick anyway.
Never ever ever is that a free in any context. Dont blame Kosi he put it exactly where it should have been. The umpire chose delibrately to decide a result and in short cheated. I said earlier in the week on here the umps bias would cost us and it proved correct. The sad thing is the call on Milne wasnt the worst. The infringments on Kosi in contests where far worse.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Not umpiring fairly means that one side is cheated. 25 to 14 is laughable. The many unpaid Saints frees were laughable. Umpiring by feral crowd noise means that one team is cheated as the balance expected from an official is not present. The 'few mistakes' you talk about were instrumental because of where and when they occurred. They appeared scripted. Whether anyone sees them as such or not, one team was cheated of the even playing field a good game of AFL deserves.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Never ever ever is that a free in any context. Dont blame Kosi he put it exactly where it should have been. The umpire chose delibrately to decide a result and in short cheated. I said earlier in the week on here the umps bias would cost us and it proved correct. The sad thing is the call on Milne wasnt the worst. The infringments on Kosi in contests where far worse.

Of course they cheat. How anyone would think that is beyond me but if if its makes you feel better go ahead. The kick from Kosi was far to rushed. maybe you werent at the ground but it was one on 5 when he kicked it. Milne was the one.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint wrote:Not umpiring fairly means that one side is cheated. 25 to 14 is laughable. The many unpaid Saints frees were laughable. Umpiring by feral crowd noise means that one team is cheated as the balance expected from an official is not present. The 'few mistakes' you talk about were instrumental because of where and when they occurred. They appeared scripted. Whether anyone sees them as such or not, one team was cheated of the even playing field a good game of AFL deserves.

So the free kick count has to be equal every time?

Lance or James??

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

'I dont beleive people actually wait for me to comment on umpires. Sad life. ' :wink:

I thought you would appreciate the fact that your comedy brings such joy to the forum. :D

I think you add flair and fun to Sainsational P66 and that's your aim. I was actually talking about anyone seriously trying to be an apologist for the last quarter umpiring performance. Only a moron would think the only problem was one 'technical' free kick in the last minute of the game.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Plugger dont try and divert this from what it was. A poorly umpired game that was in fact to bias to justify.

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

'So the free kick count has to be equal every time?'

No Joffa. Not at all. I don't mind a lopsided count at all. Some teams get clumsy, some continually play catch -up and make mistakes, some are second to the ball, some overdo it and push the boundaries as far as the rules go. I'm pretty sure I didn't see that last night in the Saints' performance.

Did you? :?:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Hawkesbury Saint wrote:Not umpiring fairly means that one side is cheated. 25 to 14 is laughable. The many unpaid Saints frees were laughable. Umpiring by feral crowd noise means that one team is cheated as the balance expected from an official is not present. The 'few mistakes' you talk about were instrumental because of where and when they occurred. They appeared scripted. Whether anyone sees them as such or not, one team was cheated of the even playing field a good game of AFL deserves.

Of course it doesnt have to be even. What has to be even is the interpratation of rules both ways. The frees paid one way where not being paid the other. Once again both our key forwards received zero while theres got four.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Of course it doesnt have to be even. What has to be even is the interpratation of rules both ways. The frees paid one way where not being paid the other. Once again both our key forwards received zero while theres got four.

I reckon in about 5 games you have said the umpires cheated against us. Why would they logically cheat against us?

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Incompetence results in a team being cheated of a fair result.

saint6709
Club Player

On the reply it was 25 to 14 BEFORE the obrien free - so thats 26 to 14 - 9 to 2 in the last qtr - we were playing the ball and getting there first a good deal of the time in the last so no call for such discrepancy - Pies had 2 frees to make a goal in the first 1 minute of the last term - umpiring has cost us about 3 games this year - Obriens free wasn't even worth comment it was so bad - but the damage had been done - a draw would't help us I don't think needed to win -- saints should now give the league the F you - rest our aging champs - roo,milney, lenny, joey, goddard - let them get their bodies right for next year - and get some games into our young blokes - see who can make a diff next year - sipposs, Milera, Newnes, cripps, ledger and 1 or 2 others - see if archer should stay on the list and same with wilkes --- 2013 is for the saints now I would think

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Of course they cheat. How anyone would think that is beyond me but if if its makes you feel better go ahead. The kick from Kosi was far to rushed. maybe you werent at the ground but it was one on 5 when he kicked it. Milne was the one.
Kosi is an arse hole he made the umpires stuff it up by kicking it quickly. They cheat because if a bookie gives you $100000 to make a result fall a certain way so they can manipulate the payouts it is very tempting. AFL has allowed gambling money and now needs to keep a very close eye on how games are officiated because the more at stake the more likely corruption becomes. If it's not corruption this time it is still dangerous for the integrity of the competition when umpires contribute to outcomes.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Did the timekeeper lose three seconds off the clock after time on had been blown at the end for the blood rule?
Siren sounded with gram sending a pass into the fifty.
Didn't notice at the time as I was still yelling abuse, but it's been commented on by neutrals since.
Any ideas?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Oh and yes the umpiring was terribly uneven. I would strongly suggest there is a bias in umpiring time and time again. The umpires are simply unprofessional and not up to umpiring big events. The afl needs to do something about it. And it undoubtedly cost us the game - not just a draw.
As for costing us finals - probably. Even if we finish 13-9 we could be equal with the eagles, but behind on percentage.
The umpiring in our game has always been a disgrace and the afl continue to ignore it and sweep criticism aside with technicalities. We have a world class game with B class officials.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
maverick
Saintsational Legend

There is no such thing as a technical free kick, as incidental contact is ignored, except apparently for hands in the back in a marking contest.
As others have said, if you pay the milne incidental contact the game stops the whole time, it's simply not correct.
There is no point in rationalising it, the mistake cost us 2 points.
Yes the players on both sides made many mistakes, but it's poor form to argue that an umpire making a mistake because he guessed and panicked under pressure is ok because the players make more.
We worked hard enough to deserve the two points and should have received them.
The karma bus needs to hit the no. 8 filth and soon.
Last edited by maverick on Sun 05 Aug 2012 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

tech there???

it was there as much as im sitting in the middle of the dome oval right now drinking champagne and eating caviar

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

P66 and JB are the umpire aren't cheats, however, as I have stated, due to an incredibly incompetent advisor, Geischen, they are incompetent and continously put in bad performances.
Not just at our games, I do watch other games and I see continuous bad decisions, complete inconsistencies and in some case a desire to be involved in the game, ie all these stupid video referrals that have cost goals, and some games, ask Richmond from last week.
I've been saying it for years, Geischen has to go, he had no idea at Richmond and his knowledge hasn't improved one iota since then.
If anything, form my point of view, there should be a much more simplistic approach to umpiring, none of this kneejerk reaction that sees interperations of rules change on a weekly basis, or even from quarter to quarter.
They must also be taught to ignore the crowd, let's face it, even with our supporters, we'd get a 100 free kicks a game.
Last nights final quarter was just deplorable, things that hadn't been paid all night, we're paid.
Good umpires in the past, when a game was tight and tough in the past, would simply put the whistle away and only pay the blatantly obvious freekicks.
That's what makes a great contest and not one that leaves a bad taste in supporters mouths.
As much as I hate losing to the filth, I would have accepted it if the umpires had officiated like I suggested above, unfortunately they didn't and we are going to spend the next few days with elevated blood pressure.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
The Craw
Club Player

Consistency, that's all I ask and last night the only thing that was consistent was the complete lack of consistency.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

There is no such thing as a technical free kick. And if there were frees paid for incidental contact the game would go for ten days instead of two hours.

The umpire choked in the heat of the moment. A little fuse went snap. And having such a critical error occur so close to the game effectively cancels out everything that may or may knot have preceded it. A decision like that simply cannot do anything other than affect the result.

If in doubt don't blow the friggin' whistle.

The bloke has possibly pulled the rug out from under an entire season's toil because of a brain snap.

Umpiring is a horribly tough gig, and you cop roughies either way in the guts of a game as part and parcel of things, but that decision was unacceptable mistake given the moment.

And before the usuals all start getting all bleeding heart on me look at it this way... If Armo had missed the goal from point blank he'd be ROGERED ad finitum on here, in the media, everywhere. He would never be allowed to forget it.

Similarly that umpire should not be hidden behind bloody Gieshen and the AFL protectionist agenda. A sporting administatration with any level of fortitude would make a statement and drop the bloke. There is nothing wrong with consequences for shitness.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:A decision like that simply cannot do anything other than affect the result.
doesn't the same apply the other way? assume he was unsighted, but it looked like milne might have made contact. what if he doesn't blow the whistle, the saints kick the goal, and then the replay shows that milne hit harry in the face? exactly the same story applies, the result has been affected, just the other way around.

he's f***ed if he does, f***ed if he doesn't.