Saints v Cats - Preview and Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Cats - Preview and Discussion

We do not need Blake. Waste of an inclusion, and Blake has missed a lot of football. Simpkin plays the third tall back well.

The Cats are vunerable to small forwards. The Cats are vunerable to pace.

Schneider and Milera should be on the table for selection, as should be Ray. Watters will seriously consider Jones. Siposs is a chance, but personally I believe that Schneider and Milera would bea bigger challenge for th cats.

OUT: Roo, Cripps, Dunnell, Ledger
IN: Schneider, Milera, Siposs, Ray (Though Watters will probably favour CJ).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 12 Aug 2012 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How is Rays back?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
SainterK wrote:OK, if he plays, who goes to him?

Been monstering his opponents in recent weeks.

Fisher has been taking the No 1 key Forward for a while and it has worked.

It would be a waste to play our only player who can do well on key forwards on a small like Chapman.
To be fair, that suggestion was made in the anticipation that Hawkins won't play.
Even if Hawkins does not play, the Cats will have other tall forwards: Harry Taylor, JPod etc.
Chapman is built like a pit-bull, but there are other options to take him.
Fisher is our only player this season that has looked the goods playing full back. Since he moved to that role, our backline has functioned much better.

On Hawkins....most concussed players play the following week. Only the minority miss. He will be given the cognitive test each day..and if his score gets back to an acceptable level he will play. If not he will miss. High fiveing- and smiling are no indication.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough.

I thought Gwilt may take Pods.

Just watching a bit of the Cats in recent weeks, nobody appears to pay any respect to Chappy, and it always seems to backfire. Needs a big body, as he just shrugs off would be tacklers.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Fair enough.

I thought Gwilt may take Pods.

Just watching a bit of the Cats in recent weeks, nobody appears to pay any respect to Chappy, and it always seems to backfire. Needs a big body, as he just shrugs off would be tacklers.
Will have to see how many tall forwards they deploy. They will want some marking targets...and Chapman is a small marking target as well.

Hawkins/Taylor = Sam
JPod = Gwilt
Champan = Simpkin

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

felix wrote:At least thr Geelong fc are brave enough to complain about the umpires were as we just take it on the chin.
Did Chris Scott get an apology this week? I don't think so.

Looking forward to getting some 'favourable' decisions this week. Just once I would like to walk away from a game and say 'gees, we were favoured by the umps tonight'. :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
felix wrote:At least thr Geelong fc are brave enough to complain about the umpires were as we just take it on the chin.
Did Chris Scott get an apology this week? I don't think so.

Looking forward to getting some 'favourable' decisions this week. Just once I would like to walk away from a game and say 'gees, we were favoured by the umps tonight'. :D
I'd prefer "gee the umps werent noticeable tonight"

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gee, Chris Scott likes a whinge doesn't he.
Totally legitimate whinge in my view.

Seemed a mid season 'rule emphasis' was imposed before that game.

If it did, is that not a form of corruption?

The rules are the rules. What is blind-eyed one week should be blind eyed for the year.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

The rules are the rules. What is blind-eyed one week should be blind eyed for the year.
I was more referring to his lodging a complaint about the crowd.

They like to feel they are modern visionaries those two, everything they say is contrived and like they think they are speaking on behalf of us all.

Irritates me :)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I was more referring to his lodging a complaint about the crowd.

They like to feel they are modern visionaries those two, everything they say is contrived and like they think they are speaking on behalf of us all.

Irritates me :)
I get ya.

I do think certain crowd behaviour is appalling tho.

I watched that dingbat Pies bloke mouthing profanities and doing the up yours at the umpires and hurling abuse during Swans game and thought 'where's his education program and $3000 fine?'

Tail wagging the dog again...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Admittedly I watched it on TV, but saw West Coast fans on a whole, respectfully clapping Hawkins off on the stretcher.

There are bananas in every fruit bowl though, always will be a few that should know better.

I hear Brad Scott has invited the channel 7 commentary team to do their show live from the rooms this week before the game as they prepare. I admit it will be an interesting insight, but I'm also relieved it's not our club.

They just both appear to be on a mission to be the modern thinkers of the AFL, to right the wrongs of the competition, I reckon the tide will turn soon...and it's going to grate fans that they keep talking for us.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We have a few problems to solve if we need to win against the top 6. The game will definately be won or lost in the midfield, and just looking at what we have available to us, we at least need the midfield to get more of the ball than they have been lately, as unless Hayes is having a blinder, the rest just don't step up enough in the grunt area. We suffer from lack of height and strength in the backline, so maybe Blake might come straight back in if he is fit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Appears they legitmately may have issues in the ruck department.

Stephenson has injured his hand, West may not be ready to go.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'd say all games are won and lost in the midfield and this game will be not be any different. Funny how teams can react when key players miss. I'll leave it at that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I'd say all games are won and lost in the midfield and this game will be not be any different. Funny how teams can react when key players miss. I'll leave it at that.
No all games rely on massive midfield success, but others do when you have elite players to contend with.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Cats' Johnson scrutinised for Selwood bump
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... 242tj.html

Wouldnt harm our chances if Johnson gets a week ...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... 244tm.html

WITH the immediate playing future of Nick Riewoldt unclear, St Kilda defender James Gwilt is confident the Saints will still have enough scoring options to push Geelong in Friday night's clash.

Riewoldt, the Saints' leading goalkicker this season with 47, is dealing with a tear to a tendon in his right knee that has him in doubt for the crucial match.

Riewoldt has been the dominant target up forward, with 131 of the club's attacking forays directed to him - the seventh most of any forward in the league.

It took a while for the Saints to adjust against Melbourne on Saturday, but when they did it resulted in seven goals in the third term.

Advertisement
Former Eagle Beau Wilkes finished the day with a career-high five goals and 12 marks, and can expect to be a focal point alongside Justin Koschitzke on Friday.

''I think every time he [Wilkes] has played he has kicked goals. He has that knack of bobbing up,'' Gwilt said. ''Even though he won't get a stack of the ball, he will get his two or three [goals].''

Gwilt was happy with how the Saints eventually adjusted against the lacklustre Demons. ''Wilkes and Kosi stood up,'' he said. ''I think Gilbo [Sam Gilbert] went forward. His defensive pressure was awesome. Everyone stood up.''

If Riewoldt does not play, his absence could be offset by the Cats losing key forward Tom Hawkins with concussion.

Gwilt does not like to see any player hurt, but Hawkins is the man he has regularly matched up on in recent seasons.

Considering the form the Cat has been in of late, Gwilt, understandably, would be happy if Hawkins was ruled out.

Gwilt is well aware of what is at stake with three rounds remaining and the Saints just outside the top eight.

''It's a massive game, sort of like a final for us pretty much,'' he said.

''They have come off a pretty hard game Friday night over in the west, so we just have to recover well and prepare well, and hopefully give them a good run.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/c ... 6449572494

GEELONG have been dealt a blow ahead of Friday night's match against St Kilda, with ruckman Orren Stephenson ruled out with a hand injury.

Scans revealed Stephenson fractured his right hand in the five-point loss to West Coast, depleting the Cats' ruck stocks in the lead up to must-win clash with the Saints at Etihad Stadium.

Geelong are hopeful their number one big man Trent West, who suffered a medial strain in the Round 18 clash against Adelaide, will return to the side.

Young gun Nathan Vardy is due to play his second match in the VFL after overcoming a hip complaint, while Dawson Simpson has not played since mid-July as he continues to battle a back injury. Simpson is expected to return to the VFL team this weekend.

"I would think he (Stephenson) would certainly miss a week but we haven't really resolved that," Cats football manager Neil Balme said yesterday.

Leading sports medico Doctor Peter Larkins said Stephenson may only miss the one game, depending on the severity of the fracture.

"It's possible that if he's only got a crack in the metacarpal bone they can put a little plate on it, have him wear a glove and come back and that's routine in footy circles," Dr Larkins said.

"The bone isn't healed, so we're not kidding ourselves that the break still isn't there, but if they can control the play and he can handle the ball he can play because the plate will keep it lined up. The concern was the break was in the wrist and if that was the case it was six weeks, so it's better news than expected."

While the Cats sweat on the fitness of West, Balme said star trio Paul Chapman (calf), James Kelly (groin) and Joel Corey (hamstring) would return after missing the clash against the Eagles.

Spearhead Tom Hawkins is also a strong chance to play St Kilda after being knocked out at Patersons Stadium, but youngster Billie Smedts is likely to miss another week with a calf injury.

Balme said Kelly and Chapman were late withdrawals with soreness.

"We expect him (Chapman) to be all right. (He had) slight soreness of the calf and we think he was reasonable but it wasn't worth taking the risk," Balme said.

"Kel was fine. We always thought he'd be ok. He just needed a bit of time to recover he was a little bit sore he should be right."

But Dr Larkins believed Chapman would be a doubtful starter.

"The thing with a calf injury is it's pretty rare to just miss one (week) and Chappy, with his history and his age, I reckon if it's true he's tweaked a calf he wouldn't be able to sprint or do full training on it this week," he said.

But Dr Larkins' diagnosis was more positive for Hawkins after he was stretchered from the field against West Coast.

"Based on his early recovery, yes (he can play)," Dr Larkins said. "It's always a positive sign when a player is coming along quickly and because he was feeling pretty well and resting up yesterday (Sunday) they (Geelong) will go through the typical concussion test and my feeling is all the positive signs were there for him."

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I'd say all games are won and lost in the midfield and this game will be not be any different. Funny how teams can react when key players miss. I'll leave it at that.
No all games rely on massive midfield success, but others do when you have elite players to contend with.
So you agree with me then?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Dr P Larkins reckons Chappy will miss due his age & history. Calf injury. I hope he is right, cos I think Chappy is one of the toughest forwards around. Agree with the clever SainterK. He shrugs off most tackles. IMHO, umpires give him a lot more time to dispose of the pill when he's tackled, maybe they expect him to break free ?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
FQF
SS Life Member

Dempster on Johnson?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:cant see us winning tbh

neither can i ,but lets give it a go.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll win this one… though Hawkins may be the difference if he comes up…

Cats have been up & down like us, coming back from a tough game in Perth, bringing some older players back from soft tissue injuries is always risky…

Who will they put in the ruck if Stephenson doesn't play? West, Vardy & Simpson underdone… Podsiadly?

We need the human wrecking balls in Kosi & Wilkes to cause maximum pack-busting carnage from the very first bounce…

Going to be an absolute cracker!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Heard Chappy is more unlikely than likely?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Admittedly I watched it on TV, but saw West Coast fans on a whole, respectfully clapping Hawkins off on the stretcher.

There are bananas in every fruit bowl though, always will be a few that should know better.

I hear Brad Scott has invited the channel 7 commentary team to do their show live from the rooms this week before the game as they prepare. I admit it will be an interesting insight, but I'm also relieved it's not our club.

They just both appear to be on a mission to be the modern thinkers of the AFL, to right the wrongs of the competition, I reckon the tide will turn soon...and it's going to grate fans that they keep talking for us.
I think you are right but right now if he wants to criticise anything to do with the appaling umpiring we are seeing weekly then he should continue it....(I notice many umpire apologist have gone quiet around now.....what,with an AFL coach bemaoning their pathetic shift in weekly emphasis)

“Yeah….nah””