Plugger.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plugger.

I don't hate Plugger, Ball or Hall just bitterly disappointed in them and the system that allowed it. It changed the way I looked at footy the day Plugger left...and Ball to the skunks was the final kick in the guts for me.
I am just about over it.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I don't hate Plugger, Ball or Hall just bitterly disappointed in them and the system that allowed it. It changed the way I looked at footy the day Plugger left...and Ball to the skunks was the final kick in the guts for me.
I am just about over it.

my hurt goes back further.....stewart, big carl....trott....greene even...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
stinger wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:we lost plugger, but with picked up aussie jones, joel smith, and tony brown, who turned out to be just the tonic we needed at the time.

BUT, can u imagine we had lockett at full-forward, instead of Heatley, in the '97 GF???

jones and brown were our picks anyway......we got joel and a packet of used condoms.....
Incorrect we also got Daryl Wakelin

no ... well...maybe...i can't remember...there were a number of draft picks traded...some of them for other players.... ie ...gilbert mcadam....

darryl wakelin we got in a round robin by trading with freo for draft pick 42.....they then picked up doug headland with that pick.....

we had that pick as our own..i think....we also had pick 43 which we got from brisbane for gilbert...we went on to use that pick on dean matthews....

we also got pick 26 from brisbane which we used to draft tim elliott

i am not sure only because pick 48 was also ours originally and we used that to draft aussie

and sydney had pick 40 which they used to draft o'loughlin

we got chris hemley with a draft pick we traded from hawthorn plus josh kitchen and glen nugent..

joel smith with a draft pick and robbie neill both of which were directly traded with/from sydney for plugger

we traded pick 59 to hawthorn for kitchen nugent and pick 13...so the dorks must have got something else elsewhere...pick 8 i think from brisbane

which they used on gowers... with chris scott the giveaway player...

...as i said...we got sfa ...or as i said...a used packet of condoms....

hemley actually played only one game...for no kicks..no marks and no possessions.....and he was our pick 13....

dickheads like mike sheahan were fond of saying what a great deal we got for trading plugger which..according to him benifitted both clubs....after i pointed out to him that no...we actually only got a benefit out of smith...and then only for a couple of years....he stopped and hasn't sprouted that line since....

one of the greatest myths perpetuated in footy....

GSG
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I was under the impression that the club couldn't match the offers made by Sydney but not the case,he told me The Saints had the money and also that Collingwood had offered a massive sum for him. millions.

Not too happy about that.

Did anyone else know this ?

Strange Ken Sheldon should say this.

A few years ago I attended a function where Stan Alves was a guest speaker. During a break, seeing Stan standing on his own, I approached him and during the conversation, I mentioned the Tony Lockett departure (as this was before my time). To my surprise, Stan Alves started talking and told me the whole story (from his point of view). He said St Kilda was never able to match the offer from Sydney, and even he had to say to Tony that the offer was too good to refuse. As Stan was the coach then, I assume he would know the facts.

But really, I cannot believe that St Kilda would have been able to match the offer. This was just a year or two after we heard the tins rattling at Moorabbin collecting money for the survival of the club as St Kilda had a very low membership and profile.

Also at that time Sydney was treading water – not going anywhere. Even though they’ve joined the AFL quite a while ago, membership was low. They desperately needed a drawcard and with the extra funding they got from the AFL, they were able to offer a substantial amount which, I’m quite sure, St Kilda was unable to match.

Well, the rest is history. I think they tried to the same with Barry Hall - only it didn’t work.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:...A few years ago I attended a function where Stan Alves was a guest speaker. During a break, seeing Stan standing on his own, I approached him and during the conversation, I mentioned the Tony Lockett departure (as this was before my time). To my surprise, Stan Alves started talking and told me the whole story (from his point of view). He said St Kilda was never able to match the offer from Sydney, and even he had to say to Tony that the offer was too good to refuse. As Stan was the coach then, I assume he would know the facts...
Exactly what happened. Everything else is just a rationalisation for the decision, usually by people with their own agendas to push. It's a pity that players can bring themselves to say, and for supporters to accept, that money (especially a lot) is a legitimate persuader. If the difference is a few thousand then there might be an argument for staying put. But being offered (say) a million bucks instead of 600 grand, and rejecting it, would be nuts. The only thing that would mitigate would be if there was secret deal to pay the player extra money at the end of his career. But this thread is not about Carlton or Collingwood.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I was under the impression that the club couldn't match the offers made by Sydney but not the case,he told me The Saints had the money and also that Collingwood had offered a massive sum for him. millions.

A few years ago I attended a function where Stan Alves was a guest speaker. During a break, seeing Stan standing on his own, I approached him and during the conversation, I mentioned the Tony Lockett departure (as this was before my time). To my surprise, Stan Alves started talking and told me the whole story (from his point of view). He said St Kilda was never able to match the offer from Sydney, and even he had to say to Tony that the offer was too good to refuse. As Stan was the coach then, I assume he would know the facts.

But really, I cannot believe that St Kilda would have been able to match the offer. This was just a year or two after we heard the tins rattling at Moorabbin collecting money for the survival of the club as St Kilda had a very low membership and profile.

Also at that time Sydney was treading water – not going anywhere. Even though they’ve joined the AFL quite a while ago, membership was low. They desperately needed a drawcard and with the extra funding they got from the AFL, they were able to offer a substantial amount which, I’m quite sure, St Kilda was unable to match.

Well, the rest is history. I think they tried to the same with Barry Hall - only it didn’t work.
I spoke to Andrew Plympton's mum about Plugger and Waverley and she claimed the Swan's were aided by the AFL who were trying to build up the club from it's basket case image with an injection of funds and administration. The Saints just couldn't legally match the Swan's and she claimed they made it way too good to pass up including AFL employees helping plan the raid.

She also claimed the AFL was complicit in the move from Waverley by forcing us to take over the full lease on our own and lose rights to revenue stream and pay for a huge upgrade. They basically forced two moves on us and we sat too long on the docklands and by the time we went back to them they moved the goal posts because Essendon got in first as the "anchor tenant".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The day he kicked the point to get them into the GF i went off tap. My wife was looking at me as if I was from another planet. Maybe I am.
I was hoping he kicked it out on the full. I wanted him to have no success away from St Kilda and cheered North home in the 96 GF. Was also glad that O'Brien got a knock on the head in that game.

You seem like a really nice guy. Thats the way.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
GSG wrote:

I spoke to Andrew Plympton's mum about Plugger and Waverley and she claimed the Swan's were aided by the AFL who were trying to build up the club from it's basket case image with an injection of funds and administration. The Saints just couldn't legally match the Swan's and she claimed they made it way too good to pass up including AFL employees helping plan the raid.

She also claimed the AFL was complicit in the move from Waverley by forcing us to take over the full lease on our own and lose rights to revenue stream and pay for a huge upgrade. They basically forced two moves on us and we sat too long on the docklands and by the time we went back to them they moved the goal posts because Essendon got in first as the "anchor tenant".

sounds about right to me.....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The day he kicked the point to get them into the GF i went off tap. My wife was looking at me as if I was from another planet. Maybe I am.
I was hoping he kicked it out on the full. I wanted him to have no success away from St Kilda and cheered North home in the 96 GF. Was also glad that O'Brien got a knock on the head in that game.

Wow from a guy who seems to go out of his way to stamp on peoples feet? i imagine plugger walking along beaches kicking kids sand castles not the man who cheers on his former hero in his new pursuits. I guess I had him wrong?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Wow from a guy who seems to go out of his way to stamp on peoples feet? i imagine plugger walking along beaches kicking kids sand castles not the man who cheers on his former hero in his new pursuits. I guess I had him wrong?

Only when fools tlike you make silly comments. And lets face it every post you make is silly. It continues now. Because I dont whinge about everything and dont get upset when players leave I kick kids sand castles. Very strange. Matter of fact plain stupid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Only when fools tlike you make silly comments. And lets face it every post you make is silly. It continues now. Because I dont whinge about everything and dont get upset when players leave I kick kids sand castles. Very strange. Matter of fact plain stupid.

I never called you plain stupid just an A hole. Did I say it was because you don't whinge about players leaving, I meant just generally, I will try to make myself clearer next time Plugster.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:

I thought the same as you and why I was surprised at what Ken said. Bit he seemed adamant about it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I never called you plain stupid just an A hole. Did I say it was because you don't whinge about players leaving, I meant just generally, I will try to make myself clearer next time Plugster.
can we get a room for you ladies ?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I don't hate Plugger, Ball or Hall just bitterly disappointed in them and the system that allowed it. It changed the way I looked at footy the day Plugger left...and Ball to the skunks was the final kick in the guts for me.
I am just about over it.

my hurt goes back further.....stewart, big carl....trott....greene even...

I've been bitter since Cazaly was shipped over to South. :shock:

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:...I've been bitter since Cazaly was shipped over to South...
I see he played 99 games for both clubs which, of course, meant he also just missed on playing 200 games. Maybe he started the jinx. Then again, by the time he played his first game for us, we had won just 45 games out of the 240 that we had played, including losing every game in our first three seasons.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I don't care what deal was made it still didn't win us a flag and I would have prefered to have him start and finish his unbelievable career with us rather than share it with any other club.

For all the drama and trouble he might have been he and Winmar was worth every bit of it and I wouldn't change any of it.

He is still by far the most awesome amazing powerhouse footballer I've seen in the best era of football In my life time.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:we lost plugger, but with picked up aussie jones, joel smith, and tony brown, who turned out to be just the tonic we needed at the time.

BUT, can u imagine we had lockett at full-forward, instead of Heatley, in the '97 GF???
I think Heatley was a major factor in us making the GF that season.
The best kick for goal we've ever had IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:

Hall was even better for them than Plugger. They won a flag.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We have lost badly on several occasions. First there was Russell Greene to Hawthorn, Then Plugger to Sydney. Joel Smith to Hawthorn.

We probably won with Aaron Hamill, and Barry Pascoe but I cant remember too many others.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We have lost badly on several occasions. First there was Russell Greene to Hawthorn, Then Plugger to Sydney. Joel Smith to Hawthorn.

We probably won with Aaron Hamill, and Barry Pascoe but I cant remember too many others.

G train, Schneider, Dempster. Swings and roundabouts. We lost a flag because we lost Ian Stewart. It happens.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:interesting thread

I esp like that the greatest full forward in the history of the game wouldn't have made a difference in a grandfinal in which they dropped talls back and monstered us based on the rational that he failed in the 96 GF after leading the Swans there. Well thought and and reasoned.

And to think that I'm accussed of posting things i can't prove
If you mean my thread, quote it then you gutless wonder.

BTW, you are friggin hilarious in your knowledge of the game or recall of history. Crows killed us in the middle and across HB after half time so the ball would not have even got down there but I guess you would have put Plugger on Jarman.

While Plugger is the greatest St Kilda football player I have ever seen, he was quite in many big games for us becuase our strategy of kicking it to him all the time was too predictable...a bit like you Septic old son.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mcadam05
Club Player

it Seems funny no one ever brings up the fact if Lockett had stayed we would of lost Loewe too Fremantle in 95 and more then likely lost burke aswell

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:it Seems funny no one ever brings up the fact if Lockett had stayed we would of lost Loewe too Fremantle in 95 and more then likely lost burke aswell

Why?

wally
Club Player

I still remember the late Doc Baldock being pissed off and saying he believed that "the club let Lockett go to Sydney and wouldn't win another flag in his lifetime".
At the time I just thought "what's that about, Sydney just went out and bought him,probably holding hands with the AFL".Maybe there's some truth the top story would explain
Lockett's dislike/disinterest in StK.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:it Seems funny no one ever brings up the fact if Lockett had stayed we would of lost Loewe too Fremantle in 95 and more then likely lost burke aswell

Why?
Freo threw the kitchen sink at Loewe. Complete package.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....