Round 22 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Team

Teflon wrote:Good on the club - responsible approach to our current situation!!!
agreed. it's the right thing to do and i'm glad they're doing it. whether you call it "the tank" or not, this is about as much tanking as any club ever does - send senior players for ops (schneids, chips); don't play them if there are niggles (roo, armo, kosi?); drop them if they're out of form (gram). of course most of them would have played if we were in contention. i'm sure they offered milne and hayes (at least) a rest as well, but presumably they didn't want it.

all that said, it's not impossible to see a loss to gws with this team, though given the midfield is basically intact that would be a surprise. lenny, dal, joey and bj should have far too much class for the gws kids. greene looks like a good one, though - and he's a few months younger than ross...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gee wadda ya know
i few of the older guys are getting a rest

F***
no one wouldve suggested that in a gazillion years

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the idea behind tanking is to conveniently lose. No way are we hoping that might eventuate.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
We're not tanking...ridiculous..you don't "tank" for one or two higher spots in the draft...lol...muppet.
We're not putting our best team out there, so we're tanking just as much as the Dees were.
Better draft selections is not the reason we are not putting our best team out there, hence it is not tanking.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:How Old are you people calling this a tank? Before drafts existed, teams missing the finals routinely played their young playera to get them experience. The only Incentive was to speed their development. Saints simply doing that.
The reasons you do it are almost irrelevant - the FACTS are you are deliberately not putting your best 22 on the park - for whatever reason - its still a tank aka not your best effort to win

How old are you not to get that?

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:Tad dissapointed.

Wouldve liked to see Hayes out also - dont see a point at all and clearly Watters doesnt either........despite the "we must play all our guns for our pride" guru's on here.

Great to see kids thrown in - let em play.

Sorry but the only gun out is Fisher and he is having an operation. Pretty sure most said anyone having an operation goes out now. Not one gun has been rested as you suggested.
Dont be sorry....you'll be here all night..

Fisher, Riewoldt both out. Gram dropped, Schneider supposed injury.........and Kosi dropped (dont believe all that sore rubbish...you know that)

We're tanking fella - IF we were in the finals hunt Riewoldt would play and so would most those others Ive no doubt......except maybe for Gram/Kosi.

Tank it up I say!! - just shame Lenny is also out there.

Are you sure Rooy would play if it was a final? He says the injury is an 8 week injury. Anyway I said anyone injured goes out. Fisher and Schneider would have played you would think but they are going for operations as i suggested should happen. Your point was our stars should be rested. Is Kosi, Gram and Armo our stars? Surely Hayes, Ben, Dal and Joey would be rested if they were worried about stars. How the hell are we tanking playing GWS. We win what ever team we put out there. We probably lose what ever team we put out against Carlto as they have a lot more to play for. We are doing exactly as I said. Injured players out. No resting of players because they are worried about injuries for next season. Maybe some will come out before Saturday and you could be proved right.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'm already right.

Riddle me this batboy

Is that side - injuries aside (as I think Riewoldts the only major one) - our current best 22?

We're playing kids. We know we can't play finals. I suspect further late changes.

Call it what you like - I call it a tank and happy to see the club get smart . I hope by game time they are super smart and rest Hates/Milne.

They do need to win this game to be sure, cause a loss would surely bring AFL scrutiny but we need to do minimum to ensure a win

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
noob wrote:Doesn't mean anything.. If Fisher and Schneider are going in for surgery they are just blooding young kids for the last 2 games knowing that we won't make finals.
Is Fisher zero chance of playing next week?

yes, he is having surgery next week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I'm already right.

Riddle me this batboy

Is that side - injuries aside (as I think Riewoldts the only major one) - our current best 22?

We're playing kids. We know we can't play finals. I suspect further late changes.

Call it what you like - I call it a tank and happy to see the club get smart . I hope by game time they are super smart and rest Hates/Milne.

They do need to win this game to be sure, cause a loss would surely bring AFL scrutiny but we need to do minimum to ensure a win

Well if you are right then we are both right. I said quite clearly that the only players who should miss are injured players and those that are dropped. Fisher and Schneider are having operations. That suggests injury. Kosi is dropped IMO and Armo is out for some reason. maybe a rest but i have no idea why they picked him to rest. Maybe he is leaving. Gram is dropped. I have no doubt all would have played against Carlton if we could still make it. Not sure against GWS. Matter of fact had we still been able to make it I reckon more would have missed this week. But none of the stars were rested. Well not at the moment. Just one question. If we were still in the race for the finals how many and who do you think would have missed against GWS?

doggerel
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:It's going to be interesting to see who is the sub, Ross or Ledger.
Doesn't the sub have to come from one of the 4 named on the bench? i.e Dal, Joey, Gears, Jack?

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:It's going to be interesting to see who is the sub, Ross or Ledger.
Doesn't the sub have to come from one of the 4 named on the bench? i.e Dal, Joey, Gears, Jack?
nope. basically anything can change about that team between now and when they run out.

SuperDuper
Club Player

The reasons you do it are almost irrelevant
Wrong.
Tanking is deliberately losing to get better draft picks. There is no reason to believe that the saints are doing that
Playing youngsters to give them experience in the big league to better prepare them for next year, and telling them to try to win, is different and has been occurring since before drafting existed, and has never been referred to as tanking

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
The reasons you do it are almost irrelevant
Wrong.
Tanking is deliberately losing to get better draft picks. There is no reason to believe that the saints are doing that
Playing youngsters to give them experience in the big league to better prepare them for next year, and telling them to try to win, is different and has been occurring since before drafting existed, and has never been referred to as tanking
Yep, losing is definitely an integral part of any tank procedure.

You would expect us to beat GWS with the team selected. And regardless of what team we pick next week I reckon the Carlton game has always been a 50/50. So it will be difficult to claim any loss was manufactured.

Regardless, there's really little point "tanking" with 2 games remaining and so little to be gained by such an exercise

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:I think the idea behind tanking is to conveniently lose. No way are we hoping that might eventuate.
This

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Last time we 'tanked', in Round 19, 2009, we f****** won!!! Gloriously too

evo
Club Player

If we were tanking we would have selected Peake and Clarke.

thefatdork
Club Player

I don't reckon we are "tanking" at all.
I think that with the realisation that finals were almost impossible, then the decision has been made to look at 2013 and get some players injuries sorted early to enable them to be ready for preseason and to get some time into our younger players. This isn't playing for draft picks, it's playing for the future.
If, by some miracle, we make finals then the coach & selectors realise we won't go far - so again, the young guys would get valuable experience whilst Rooey, Fisher & co are starting preparation for 2013.
I think it is good team management and I'm happy that with the team that's been selected.
Go Saints!!
Thefatdork

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Riddle me this batboy

It is a no lose situation as we are playing GWS. I want to see a couple of youngens have stand-out games and it drives them over the Summer to become best 22 players by round 1. Good work from the coaching group.

class of 2010
Club Player

surely if we were "tanking" we would have played roo, fisher and schnides plus anyone else who was sore or injured, no way we would be able to win with very few fit players on the park!

oh when the saints
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Riddle me this batboy

Well if you are right then we are both right. I said quite clearly that the only players who should miss are injured players and those that are dropped. Fisher and Schneider are having operations. That suggests injury. Kosi is dropped IMO and Armo is out for some reason. maybe a rest but i have no idea why they picked him to rest. Maybe he is leaving. Gram is dropped. I have no doubt all would have played against Carlton if we could still make it. Not sure against GWS. Matter of fact had we still been able to make it I reckon more would have missed this week. But none of the stars were rested. Well not at the moment. Just one question. If we were still in the race for the finals how many and who do you think would have missed against GWS?
Perhaps best to answer like this

If we were a finals chance IMO Gram and co aren't rested and Fisher/Schneider wouldn't be in for operations

Doubt Armo would be rested and am damn sure Seb Ross wouldn't be playing

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote: I want to see a couple of youngens have stand-out games and it drives them over the Summer to become best 22 players by round 1.
I agree

:shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Riddle me this batboy

Perhaps best to answer like this

If we were a finals chance IMO Gram and co aren't rested and Fisher/Schneider wouldn't be in for operations

Doubt Armo would be rested and am damn sure Seb Ross wouldn't be playing

Or we could answer it like this. Hayes is playing, Milne is playing Dal is playng, BJ is playing, Joey is playing and Fisher is having an operation and Rooy has an 8 week injury.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What sort of operation is Fisher having...?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:What sort of operation is Fisher having...?

No idea. His toe. Turf toe I gather.