Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his va

Goddard is an out and out gun whose disposal and poise is as good as anyones across the AFL.

His departure, if it happens (and I think it will) would/will be an unparalleled friggin' disaster IMO.

Anyone who's caging it differently is featherbedding the bare facts.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Goddard is an out and out gun whose disposal and poise is as good as anyones across the AFL.

His departure, if it happens (and I think it will) would/will be an unparalleled friggin' disaster IMO.

Well the facts are he probably wont finish top 5 in the B&F for the second year in a row. He is a receiving HBF who is now not able to play that role because clubs wont let him. We won 12 games without Lenny last year, I reckon we could go just as well without BJ. Anyway the last thing the club should do is pay overs to keep him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling that the club has asked Brendon to make an unofficial decision a week or so ago… so that they can move on with signing up the other un-contracted players… Maybe he has said that he is leaving & that is why we have suddenly seen 5 players sign up in the past 2 days.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I get the feeling that the club has asked Brendon to make an unofficial decision a week or so ago… so that they can move on with signing up the other un-contracted players… Maybe he has said that he is leaving & that is why we have suddenly seen 5 players sign up in the past 2 days.
I thought the same, and he isnt going to announce he is going if he still has 1 game to play as he may cop it from some barrackers

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
dragit wrote:I get the feeling that the club has asked Brendon to make an unofficial decision a week or so ago… so that they can move on with signing up the other un-contracted players… Maybe he has said that he is leaving & that is why we have suddenly seen 5 players sign up in the past 2 days.
I thought the same, and he isnt going to announce he is going if he still has 1 game to play as he may cop it from some barrackers
If he's leaving, he shouldn't be picked.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
mullet wrote:
If he's leaving, he shouldn't be picked.
Completely agree.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Not convinced Watters would publicly saying how confident he is that Goddards staying if that were true

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Is he a 'restricted' free agent?
If so, does that mean we have the opportunity to match any offer he receives from another club?

If that is the case and given that we probably will not be in the salary cap position to match what other clubs can/may offer, then I think the Club should announce the size of the offer they couldn't match.
Let the Saints supporters know how much other club{s} offered BJ.
Let them (the other clubs) explain how they can fit him in their salary cap.
Let them explain to their other 'stars' why he is gretting what they've offered him whilst they are getting what they're getting.

If we have to accept that he is going to be lost to us then we might as well 'fire a shot' at the Club(s) who've upped his salary expectations. Why let them recruit him without any 'heat' (other than GWS or the Suns)?
We might as well cause some consternation for whomever he goes to and publicly acknowledging what they've offered him to entice him away from us may well cause them some 'issues'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Is he a 'restricted' free agent?
If so, does that mean we have the opportunity to match any offer he receives from another club?

If that is the case and given that we probably will not be in the salary cap position to match what other clubs can/may offer, then I think the Club should announce the size of the offer they couldn't match.
Let the Saints supporters know how much other club{s} offered BJ.
Let them (the other clubs) explain how they can fit him in their salary cap.
Let them explain to their other 'stars' why he is gretting what they've offered him whilst they are getting what they're getting.

If we have to accept that he is going to be lost to us then we might as well 'fire a shot' at the Club(s) who've upped his salary expectations. Why let them recruit him without any 'heat' (other than GWS or the Suns)?
We might as well cause some consternation for whomever he goes to and publicly acknowledging what they've offered him to entice him away from us may well cause them some 'issues'.

I would hope they arent allowed or if they are I hope the club are not that stupid unless of course you never want to get a free Agent or a trade ever again at our club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Goddard is an out and out gun whose disposal and poise is as good as anyones across the AFL.

+1

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

How come the hawks seem to keep all their stars.?

Better list manager?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

This right there

Hold your ground :shock:
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

1. Or it just means the club has no aspirations in winning the flag for the next 3-5 years

2. Incompetent list manager/ admin?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:

1. Or it just means the club has no aspirations in winning the flag for the next 3-5 years

2. Incompetent list manager/ admin?
3. Chris Pelchen?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I love how when Goddard says something like "I want to stay at St Kilda" some people automatically refer to Ablett and Scully etc. And based on those guys actions, "I want to stay at St Kilda" means he's going.

BUT

If Goddard has decided to remain where he is he'd also be saying something like "I want to stay at St Kilda".

Reality is that none of us know.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not

going

anywhere

8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:not

going

anywhere

8-)
Very confident Matrix..... source?

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If he leaves under free agency rules do we know what sort of compensation we will get? I keep hearing stuff like we would get only one pick which would likely be at the end of the first round. With Melb and WB's compo picks that would mean we would likely get around pick 21 for losing a gun. I hope that's not the case. Didn't Freo get more for Palmer??? Not free agency but so what.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The longer this goes on the less likely he is to stay IMO!

Obviously the Saints have put the best offer to him which they rightly dont intend to change and this is obviously not in the ball park of offers from other club/s. As it has gone on so long the coach and other players have hit the media attempting to persuade him to stay. IMO if he was going to stay he would have signed to get it out of the way - he is obvioulsy agonising about leaving (taking the huge offer) which is causing him the heart ache.

If money means that much to him then he should go as he would be staying at the Saints for the wrong reasons!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The longer this goes on the less likely he is to stay IMO!

Obviously the Saints have put the best offer to him which they rightly dont intend to change and this is obviously not in the ball park of offers from other club/s. As it has gone on so long the coach and other players have hit the media attempting to persuade him to stay. IMO if he was going to stay he would have signed to get it out of the way - he is obvioulsy agonising about leaving (taking the huge offer) which is causing him the heart ache.

If money means that much to him then he should go as he would be staying at the Saints for the wrong reasons!
about time someone on this forum has brains and thinks rationally.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Obviously the Saints have put the best offer to him which they rightly dont intend to change...
obviously? why? if they gave their best offer up front then they've failed basic negotiation. always leave something in the bank so that you can actually find a middle ground. starting with a final offer is stupid.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

going

anywhere

8-)

i think Freo will have him for over $1m per year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The longer this goes on the less likely he is to stay IMO!

Dont get that last line at all.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Teflon wrote:

going

anywhere

8-)

i think Freo will have him for over $1m per year.
For that he's all theirs

“Yeah….nah””
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

sure Trade barlow and there first rd pick for him