Gilbert's value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert's value

matrix wrote:it just needs it to come off the slipper better
he never used to be this bad

did he?
Footy wan't played at this pace in 2009 I guess?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

did he?
His kicking has definitely been better in the second half of the season than it was in the first.

A confidence thing?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

did he?
His kicking has definitely been better in the second half of the season than it was in the first.

A confidence thing?
I'm just flabbergastered that a proffessional footballer can get away with wearing slippers in this day & age.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: I'm just flabbergastered that a proffessional footballer can get away with wearing slippers in this day & age.
They used to smoke a pipe too in the olden days :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

really amazes me when people say he had a really good year

Nick Dal Santo had a really good year, Monty had a really good year... by his standards Geary had a really good year

Gilbert was ok

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I agree that Gilbert definitely did not have a good year going by what he did in '09 and '10. He's averaging about 7 less disposals and 3 less marks per game while not having any greater defensive focus. He used to take 1.1 contested marks per game and now averages 0.4. Other stats like running bounces, rebound 50s and 1%ers are also down significantly from previous years.

I'm not saying that Gilbert had a terrible year, but it was nowhere near what he has shown he is capable of. In reality, he hasn't been anything like the player he was since the photo scandal.

Anyway, he has re-signed now and hopefully he can get back to his best. I just hope we didn't miss out on our chance to get some value out of him while we still could.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree that Ross had a defensive unit that allowed space and time to the ball carrier so was allowed more time to settle before. Gilberts greatest strength is carrying through traffic and moving the ball forward, he's not expected to be the elite quarterback type like Goddard or Fisher. Just does what he needs to. Montagna was played out of position and looked lost for large parts of the year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
dragit wrote:Doubt anyone would offer up anywhere near a first round pick for him going into a strong draft… mid second at best…

How about Gilbert & Raph & our 2nd pick for Caddy…

Posted on Bigfooty a couple of weeks ago by a Melbourne supporter - was that the Saints had finalized a deal with GC that involved the exchange of Gilbert & Caddy plus to juggling of draft picks. Take it how you like but the guy seemed to have some inside knowledge of the exchange!

Would make sense with both players returning home plus Gilbert is a player with trade value but someone we could cover!

Next time we have a big footy trade rumour can we at least have an asterisk next to it to signify it is a joke.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

mad saint guy wrote:Anyway, he has re-signed now and hopefully he can get back to his best. I just hope we didn't miss out on our chance to get some value out of him while we still could.
and for three years!
just hope this isnt another contract that bites us down the track

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Anyway, he has re-signed now and hopefully he can get back to his best. I just hope we didn't miss out on our chance to get some value out of him while we still could.
and for three years!
just hope this isnt another contract that bites us down the track

Contracts can actually be more valuable if you are looking at trading players so as long as his form holds up i wouldnt worry. 3 years is certainly the limit though.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hope i'm wrong but 3 years for a player that has been in decline for 3 years with a slight blip this season... don't like it

stinger
Saintsational Legend

glad to see that sam has signed on for another three years...i'm glad that scotty is running this show, not some of the football"experts " on here.... :D :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo had a terrific second half of the year.

We can't afford shucking defenders and we'll get nought for him.

Besides, I reckon he's an absolute terrier. I can pretty much forgive him his dodgy kicks when his effort and bravery is first class.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Gilbo had a terrific second half of the year.

Besides, I reckon he's an absolute terrier. I can pretty much forgive him his dodgy kicks when his effort and bravery is first class.
Totally agree.

I think Gilbo is finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. People underestimate what he he has gone through over the past few years (& many blame him for it). Getting accused of being a borderline paedophile by a high profile member of the media would have been too much for a lot of blokes. The fact that he was proven to have done the right thing never entered the discussion.

I think there has been a marked improvement in his disposal this year to the point where he is quite reliable. His pace, tackling, spoiling & rebounding skills are reason enough to keep him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Thinline wrote:Gilbo had a terrific second half of the year.

Totally agree.

I think Gilbo is finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. People underestimate what he he has gone through over the past few years (& many blame him for it). Getting accused of being a borderline paedophile by a high profile member of the media would have been too much for a lot of blokes. The fact that he was proven to have done the right thing never entered the discussion.

I think there has been a marked improvement in his disposal this year to the point where he is quite reliable. His pace, tackling, spoiling & rebounding skills are reason enough to keep him.
Totally.

And to compare his kicking to that of Jones, as at least one poster on this forum has, is completely laughable. He has shown on more than one occassion this year that he can hit blokes on the chest from 50 metres. He does occasionally duff a kick, and he can spray a shot at goal, but he can geniunely kick a ball. With Clint it's more a case of hoping it goes somewhere in the intended direction.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Interesting to hear Scotty say today that Gilbo won't be available this week as he had an operation on his shoulder yesterday.
Has proberbly carried a crook shoulder for a while.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Intriguing player. Nowhere near what he was in 09/10, but not helped by circumstances such as changing personnel around him forcing him to play taller.

Clearly the scandal had an impact on him. His second half of the year has been better, but not great.

Admire his effort, and is of an age, height and experience which makes him more crucial to our list than his form itself has warranted.

3 years perhaps excessive, but we don't know the money. We do know that we are lacking in players in their mid 20s, and he has held his spot in the 22 throughout the year.

Has offered more than Gwilt and Simpkin, and therefore given Chips and Dempster are getting on, he had to be secured barring a great trade. Still reckon he can get back to 09/10 form, as age is on his side still.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs