Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

I find it kind of ironic that the last game that Goddard could play for St Kilda would be against Carlton. It will be upsetting to see him leave, I have to say. The guy, love him or hate him, is a big game player that never let us down--something you can't say about a number of St Kilda players. I wish him luck in whatever choice he makes.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Could today be the last time Goddard plays for Saints?

The image in your avatar is of one of my most cherished memories in all my 30 years of being a St.Kilda supporter.

Indeed, it would be sad to lose him.

But whether he stays or goes, I'll still regard him as being a great servant for the St.Kilda Football Club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Brendon Goddard is unhappy with the contract offer he has received from the Saints and will this week begin to seriously deliberate whether he wants to remain at the club and pursue renegotiations or look elsewhere during the free-agency window in October.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... z25EGb0GZ0

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbob
SS Life Member

He's staying, he'll be a one club player for sure!!

battye
Saintsational Legend

I sure hope it isn't.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Yes it is

jays
Club Player

50 50

Saints43
Club Player

I'll be stunned if BJ is still playing for us next year.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I'll be stunned if BJ is still playing for us next year.

Agreed.

I will be amazed. Happy to be proven wrong though, but I think he is on his way.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Goddard would love to stay a Saint for life IMO, but if can earn an extra, say, $150K per year on a 3 yr deal, that's an extra half a mill - bloody hard to say no to that. Bloody hard for him to leave his mates also. I think if he goes, he will leave on good terms so we don't hate him next year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Brendon Goddard is unhappy with the contract offer he has received from the Saints and will this week begin to seriously deliberate whether he wants to remain at the club and pursue renegotiations or look elsewhere during the free-agency window in October.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... z25EGb0GZ0
Does anyone know whether the first round compensation pick is the buying clubs' pick (i.e., Freo pick approx # 14) or would we receive an early 1st round priority pick?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If he goes somewhere, they have to fit him in their salary cap.
I can't see him going to GWS because he would hate it there because BJ likes too win.
Nor can I see him going to Carlton, because they would have to fit him in their salary cap, which would mean they would have to let a couple of decent players go.
Even Fremantle may have difficulty fitting him in without the loss of a decent player or two.
Personally, I think BJ would be happy to stay with us on a little less pay then elsewhere.
We'll know in about 5-6 weeks.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The club hasn't acted like they want him and that will contribute to his decision making. The clubs happy to save cap space and get an early pick. This scenario is not unlike the Lyon fiasco last season.

The clubs backing two horses, win win situation. Sign Goddard for under market value or save cap space and get an early pick. Goddard is just a pawn.
Last edited by Old Mate on Sun 02 Sep 2012 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.

savatage
SS Life Member

He's not worth killing our salary cap over. Whatever will be, will be.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

off to freo for 4 years and much more money than we offered him :evil: :shock:

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

If we let him walk without much of a squeek then our admin are moronic

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The club hasn't acted like they want him and that will contribute to his decision making. The clubs happy to save cap space and get an early pick. This scenario is not unlike the Lyon fiasco last season.

The clubs backing two horses, win win situation. Sign Goddard for under market value or save cap space and get an early pick. Goddard is just a pawn.
lol - acting like they dont want him :roll:

Are all the Geelong players who are all paid around what Goddard currently gets paid pawns?

You know for a fact that the club is playing Goddard?

You know the club hasn't given him its best offer?

But you are correct it is up to Goddard. Free Agency brought in for just this type of thing. Restraint of trade is against the law in most workplaces. Goddard is not a pawn, he is the one in control.

Whatever decision he makes, he has to be happy with. It is nothing to do with the Lyon issue from last season, unless the club reneges on the contract after it being accepted.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:off to freo for 4 years and much more money than we offered him :evil: :shock:

thought you kept on saying he isn't going anywhere?

what has changed your mind?

Lance or James??

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:If we let him walk without much of a squeek then our admin are moronic
if we pay him more than he's worth to us then our admin are moronic.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

You obviously have little love for BJ. I suppose if we assume we will be falling further he is worth nothing to us. So have we just given up?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:You obviously have little love for BJ. I suppose if we assume we will be falling further he is worth nothing to us. So have we just given up?
i don't love him as much as i love lenny, but he's not worth nothing. he's a very good player who's worth about $600k a year - more than 95% of players in the league.

what he's not worth is the $750k or $800k that another team might decide to pay him. in order to fit that inside the salary cap, we'd need to dump someone else - maybe dal santo - or fail to re-sign promising players like siposs, newnes or stanley.

just because someone else is irrational and overpays their players doesn't mean we have to.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
mbogo wrote:If we let him walk without much of a squeek then our admin are moronic
if we pay him more than he's worth to us then our admin are moronic.
Our admin are moronic anyway.

Nettlefold is a complete moron.

Saints43
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Nettlefold is a complete moron.
That is completely wrong. Completely.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Our admin are moronic anyway.

Nettlefold is a complete moron.
that may or may not be the case, but how do you know this?

andrewg
Club Player

matrix wrote:off to freo for 4 years and much more money than we offered him :evil: :shock:
To be honest I will be the first at the gates to see him leave. The age said he is on 550k this year and IMO not worth more than 600. 550 is still a little to much for his output over the last two years. When I think that no player at Geelong has been payed over 500k for the last five years (bartel, selwood, chapman, ling, scarlet, ablett) and BJ is leaving for EXTRA money he isn't worth, well good luck to him. To be honest for 600k we will get good value out of two players at 400k and 200k than we do out of Goddard. If he stays great to keep a very good player if he goes, well it might not be that bad in the long run. To be honest would have been more disappointed if Montagna had left but at least he knows what his 'value' is.

I heard something very true once, "no one gets paid too much or too little for too long in ANY industry.