What we need to draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

I like the sound of bosely. Could play next year with his attributes ( pace/closing speed) an could build a body from there. Also people it takes time to develop talks ruck take 3-5 years to play regularly. And good key posistion take 2-5. So we have to think ahead. We have plenty of miss who haven't played more then a handful of games . E.g crocker, ledger, cripps,winmar. Plus armo and steven will get better. So I think we have enough mids with our current mids to get us through. Then at the end of next season know we as aat and then pick what we need

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

Re: What we need to draft

hey to those who were bagging mitch brown as a good pick up did they see the game he had against buddy in quarters 2,3,4 on friday night last time i checked he didn't get a goal.

also hadf hopes that fergie would be the guy to take the gorillas of the league like cloke and hawkins but i heard tony leshaug said he isn't that type of player but has the ability to make the step to the afl.

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

i'm sick of the same people saying we need quick mids. those are the people that have absolutely no idead about the game they are watching we have picked up 7 mids in 2 years are only 1 k position player. best way forward i think is to get a solidly built key forward with our first pick. then get a key defender they usuyally tend to go late first round early second round. if u look at the draft only seen two top 10 key defenders in recent years no point getting carried away. then i would go best available and there are always decent ruckmen around at picks 40 plus because they take time to get an afl body and most of the time haven't finished growing. if u want a ruckmen for a back up there are always 1 or 2 flying around we can get.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:i'm sick of the same people saying we need quick mids. those are the people that have absolutely no idead about the game they are watching we have picked up 7 mids in 2 years are only 1 k position player. best way forward i think is to get a solidly built key forward with our first pick. then get a key defender they usuyally tend to go late first round early second round. if u look at the draft only seen two top 10 key defenders in recent years no point getting carried away. then i would go best available and there are always decent ruckmen around at picks 40 plus because they take time to get an afl body and most of the time haven't finished growing. if u want a ruckmen for a back up there are always 1 or 2 flying around we can get.
Jake Stringer.

191cm powerfully built midfielder and forward. Suppose to play like Pavlich.

He may slip to our pick due to injuries.

Kyle Hartigan would be a good KPD acquisition. 194cm defender who reads the play well and has good body positioning.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If Stringer or Mason Shaw is available at pick 12 then I hope we grab them. If they're gone you would think one of the highly rated mids like Sam Mayes would be snapped up.

If we have another 1st rounder then we could nab both a key position fwd & a mid. Key position defenders are more likely to be available for our 2nd rounder (unless we can nab M.Brown/ Pedersen) with it during trade period.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Sam Mayes would be good as well. Said to be the best skilled player in the draft.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:Hey guys just seeing what people think about what we need I think we need to go tall as we lack you key position players.
Previding we don't sacrifice too much. Aja missing a gun mid. I think we should draft like this.
Key defender: to either replace Dawson or if we have injuries. We lack real height in defence. So I would use our first pick on KD
Next a ruckman: we only have 1 ruckman. Stanley will be a forward. And we can't rely on kis kosi too much. So we need one
Then the our next pick should be a key forward. We need more invade of injuries .

I kind of agree but at the same time strongly disagree.
Firstly noone recruits defenders with their first picks. Admittedly some guys recruited as a tall fwd end up as a back (like chips). But noone spends high picks on key defenders.
So lets use our first pick on the best tall key fwd we can find. ALSO what is the point getting a tall defender kid in now when it realistically takes them 4 or 5 years to develop? It wouldnt help our issue anyway. So we need to be thinking 3 years out with our first pick. And that to me is post Rooey.
So lets use our first pick on the best young tall fwd w can find.

If Goddard goes we get 2 first rounders - so get 2 young tall fwds if we can.

next issue is solving our short term problem - a tall key defender. now there arent many of these available. so maybe go for one with a medium pick. Someone over 21 (and under 26) already playing in the afl or dominating at vfl/sanfl/wafl level.

our next short-term issue is a back-up depth ruckman. Once again there arent many of these realistically available. So maybe also look at somone 21-25 dominating at the lower level. But this should be a later pick. last thing i want is a high pick spent on a big dud who never plays for us. Im happy with Stanley and Macca - so we just someone who is insurance.

My strategy would be (assuming bj leaves and no other trades)

pick 19 - best tall young fwd available
pick 22 - best tall young fwd available
pick 42 - best player available under 19 (any position)
pick 60 - mature-age tall key defender from vfl/sanfl/wafl
pick 80 - mature-age ruckman from vfl/sanfl/wafl

of course if a trade happens for say a troy chaplin - this could change a bit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
big_mac_evoy5 wrote:Hey guys just seeing what people think about what we need I think we need to go tall as we lack you key position players.
Previding we don't sacrifice too much. Aja missing a gun mid. I think we should draft like this.
Key defender: to either replace Dawson or if we have injuries. We lack real height in defence. So I would use our first pick on KD
Next a ruckman: we only have 1 ruckman. Stanley will be a forward. And we can't rely on kis kosi too much. So we need one
Then the our next pick should be a key forward. We need more invade of injuries .

Firstly noone recruits defenders with their first picks. Admittedly some guys recruited as a tall fwd end up as a back (like chips). But noone spends high picks on key defenders.
So lets use our first pick on the best tall key fwd we can find. ALSO what is the point getting a tall defender kid in now when it realistically takes them 4 or 5 years to develop? It wouldnt help our issue anyway. So we need to be thinking 3 years out with our first pick. And that to me is post Rooey.

next issue is solving our short term problem - a tall key defender. now there arent many of these available. so maybe go for one with a medium pick. Someone over 21 (and under 26) already playing in the afl or dominating at vfl/sanfl/wafl level.

our next short-term issue is a back-up depth ruckman. Once again there arent many of these realistically available. So maybe also look at somone 21-25 dominating at the lower level. But this should be a later pick. last thing i want is a high pick spent on a big dud who never plays for us. Im happy with Stanley and Macca - so we just someone who is insurance.

I asked you this a few times without an answer. Are you saying at our first pick we get a tall forward even if the tall forward should really be about pick 30. Surely the first pick should always be the best available player in the draft no matter where he plays. And surely our first pick isnt 19?

noob
Club Player

All our best backman have been drafted from playing forward as a youngster.. Even Siposs started to relish the role in the backline. You don't need to draft a Backman to actually be a backman..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I want us to go for Zac Clarke.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

First off, we won't get two picks for Goddard, just one unless he goes to GWS.

We now know our first pick will be 12 cos Melb and WB are using their compo picks. Then another club or two (forget who they are) are using the second round compo picks. Our picks will look something like this:

Pick 12 - Best player avail
Pick 32 - Best player avail
Pick 50 - Best avail - start thinking KPP
Pick 68 - Best avail - start thinking KPP
Pick 86 - Best avail - start thinking KPP / Upgrade current rookies
Pick 104 - Best avail - start thinking KPP / Upgrade current rookies

It's a fairly decent draft however there will likely only be 2-3 decent tall's in the top 30 so one would assume our first 2 picks will be midfielders or if we are lucky we may land Stringer who is a larger midfielder who can pinch hit forward. Our later picks should be used on tall's and we should look at rookie's for tall's, as you said they take a while to develop....Unless we can land a ready-made and mature bodied KPP like Darling that is.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

We now know our first pick will be 12 cos Melb and WB are using their compo picks. Then another club or two (forget who they are) are using the second round compo picks. Our picks will look something like this:

It's a fairly decent draft however there will likely only be 2-3 decent tall's in the top 30 so one would assume our first 2 picks will be midfielders or if we are lucky we may land Stringer who is a larger midfielder who can pinch hit forward. Our later picks should be used on tall's and we should look at rookie's for tall's, as you said they take a while to develop....Unless we can land a ready-made and mature bodied KPP like Darling that is.
I didnt know we had 12 locked in - I do know we dont get 2 for goddard - but i was banking on 12 + compo pick (around a pick 20?).

My point is you can a have a million midfielders but u will always be a shite side and never win a final if you dont have a decent key fwd. So with Roopey on his last legs I think we should spend some high picks on Key fwds (just be a bit smarter than in the past.... no presidents sons please...)

So whilst most years i think best available is the way to go and i agree with your strategy - i think we can make an exception this year because it is supposed to have high quality talls - so we should cash in on that..... Chances are a young key fwd after 50 isnt going to be much chop. But a jack darling around 20 would be fecking nice.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I didnt know we had 12 locked in - I do know we dont get 2 for goddard - but i was banking on 12 + compo pick (around a pick 20?).

My point is you can a have a million midfielders but u will always be a shite side and never win a final if you dont have a decent key fwd. So with Roopey on his last legs I think we should spend some high picks on Key fwds (just be a bit smarter than in the past.... no presidents sons please...)

So whilst most years i think best available is the way to go and i agree with your strategy - i think we can make an exception this year because it is supposed to have high quality talls it - so we should cash in on that.....

So again I ask would you be happy to use our pick 12 on someone who may only be a mid 20's pick just because they are a tall forward. Has disaster written all over it.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

So whilst most years i think best available is the way to go and i agree with your strategy - i think we can make an exception this year because it is supposed to have high quality talls - so we should cash in on that..... Chances are a young key fwd after 50 isnt going to be much chop. But a jack darling around 20 would be fecking nice.
The AFL have already stated that Cloke and Goddard would generate band 1 compo which would give us a pick after our first selection...We would then have pick 12 and 13. Band 2 comp would mean a pick at the end of the first round.

I see your point re needing a key forward however there are very few in the draft at the top end, so even know we would love one we more than likely won't get one with our first few picks. Look at Jackson Paine for example: Last draft he was seen as one of the best KPP avail and fell to pick 50.

creepypolar
Club Player

Tanner Smith anyone? Meant to be a good negating defender, but no rebound. Around pick 14

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

As I stated if Stringer or Shaw are available at 12/13 then we take them.

Otherwise it's best mid available.

Tanner more likely to be available 2nd round but who knows til draft day

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:As I stated if Stringer or Shaw are available at 12/13 then we take them.

Otherwise it's best mid available.

Tanner more likely to be available 2nd round but who knows til draft day
spot on mate thats exactly what we need and if availble are a good fit. i think we need about 3 talls for the future hopefully they aren't bean poles but we need forwards and backs. 2 forwards because we need to prepare for when rooey is done which is 3-4 years away and thats how long it could take to get someone ready. and need a nother defender and key forward for the holes we already have in our team.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I dont believe Stringer will get through to our 1st selection and there is no other talls I would take with our 1st selection. The clubs selection in Round 1 IMO should always be best available and they will be all midfielders this year!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If you check out the Phantom Drafts of Big Footy, I notice the latest has Brody Grundy falling to us, which is a possibility as I dont think any clubs under us has a pressing need for a ruckman. If we did get him, we would have to change our entire game plan. He is supposed to be the best ruckman to come through the draft since NicNat.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ok pluggs within reason of course. if the tall fwds left at 12 are not that flash then we probably shouldnt get him. weight of probabilities tells me there will be a good tall fwd left at 12.

i can similarly argue the other way - what if the 'best available' player at 12 is a 'tall 189cm running defender' from the tac . we really need another one of those like a hole in the head.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:ok pluggs within reason of course. if the tall fwds left at 12 are not that flash then we probably shouldnt get him. weight of probabilities tells me there will be a good tall fwd left at 12.

i can similarly argue the other way - what if the 'best available' player at 12 is a 'tall 189cm running defender' from the tac . we really need another one of those like a hole in the head.

I will give you the tip. Tall running defenders from the TAC arent usually 12th pick but if he is than grab him unless the 13th is closer to what we want. The weight of probabilities. What does that mean? There were bugger all talls last year and not much by the looks of it this year. Get the best player. Cant go wrong there.

noob
Club Player

I think this year we should just stick to drafting players. If we are trading at least trade a player or two from our list for picks. There isn't much out there for the needs we want from other clubs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like the look of Jacksh and Rodda- big lumps of kids who look like proper key backmen, not your Sam Gilbert quick running scrawny blokes.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I believe they will grab a young defender at Selection # 34 like Tanner Smith, Tom Clurey, Nick Rodda or Aaron Luccon. We will also pick up a older ready to go defender later in the draft or via other means like -

Joel Tippett
Club: West Adelaide
Height: 195cm
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 26.10.1988

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I believe they will grab a young defender at Selection # 34 like Tanner Smith, Tom Clurey, Nick Rodda or Aaron Luccon. We will also pick up a older ready to go defender later in the draft or via other means like -

Joel Tippett
Club: West Adelaide
Height: 195cm
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 26.10.1988

Heard lots of good reports of the other Tippett. Would have to commit to footy but looks like he's stepped it up.