Bombers to make a play for Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Bombers to make a play for Goddard

The Age reports this morning that Essendon is to make an offer for BJ. Suggests that they are likely to go with offering 4 years.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... 25mer.html

Faithful Even Unto Death
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Bombers to make a play for Goddard

Interesting saying if it happened we would get pick 13 as compensation, fair?

Under the rules of free agency, the Saints would be compensated with a draft choice if they lost Goddard and did not sign a player of comparable worth and age as a free agent themselves. Goddard would likely deliver them a first-round pick (if they did not sign another high-calibre free agent themselves). St Kilda's first round pick is No. 12, which means it would probably receive pick 13 in the draft as compensation.

Clubs can also receive an end-of-first-round pick, a second-round pick or a third-round pick, depending on the contract and worth of the player.

Clubs that lose a player to free agency must take any compensation in the next draft.

per article

The pick cannot be ''banked'' and used when it suits in later years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... z260cwz7ea

Before Im 85
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Interesting saying if it happened we would get pick 13 as compensation, fair?

Under the rules of free agency, the Saints would be compensated with a draft choice if they lost Goddard and did not sign a player of comparable worth and age as a free agent themselves. Goddard would likely deliver them a first-round pick (if they did not sign another high-calibre free agent themselves). St Kilda's first round pick is No. 12, which means it would probably receive pick 13 in the draft as compensation.

Clubs can also receive an end-of-first-round pick, a second-round pick or a third-round pick, depending on the contract and worth of the player.

Clubs that lose a player to free agency must take any compensation in the next draft.

per article

The pick cannot be ''banked'' and used when it suits in later years.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... z260cwz7ea

Is the next draft this draft? If so draft the order cannot be decided until after the free agency period.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

has to be this draft according to article, it mentions pick 13 so it cant be a future draft

Before Im 85
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Like Plugger said, if a club below us on the ladder loses a band 1 player through FA then our picks would change. For example if Carlton lost Gibbs or Murphy then our first pick would likely slide to 13 and our compo for Goddard to 14.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Age & 3AW are both Fairfax companies. 3AW were saying this last Thursday or Friday. Does this mean that Jake Naill is only re-hashing 3AW stuff to make himself look like he knows what's going on? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Kernal75
Club Player

So far Goddard has been off to Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle and Melbourne. Oh and he's also a chance at staying with the Saints. These sort of stories will be every week until free agency actually starts. Only then will we get a true picture of who the real players are. Let's see, if BJ goes and we get pick 13 then Caddy from the Suns would be a nice replacement for half the wage IMO.

shmic_s
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:So far Goddard has been off to Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle and Melbourne. Oh and he's also a chance at staying with the Saints. These sort of stories will be every week until free agency actually starts. Only then will we get a true picture of who the real players are. Let's see, if BJ goes and we get pick 13 then Caddy from the Suns would be a nice replacement for half the wage IMO.
For what its worth, I hope and think that BJ will stay.

But... this is similar to what i was thinking.

If Goddard is off to the Bombers under free-agency.
We get pick 13 compensation.

Then send Raph Clarke, who GC have interest in as a half forward, and pick 12 for Caddy and Hickey.
Clarke, pick 12 ---> Caddy and Hickey
May have to throw in our second round pick to get it done.

If we can pull off something like this, then the loss of Goddard will be easier to stomach.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Then send Raph Clarke, who GC have interest in as a half forward
Is this for real?
I think we would need to give more than him & pick 12 for 2 very good young players.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do you think Brendon is simply using this to get his 4th year from the Saints?

I can't see the issue with 4 years , nor understand why they wouldn't give it to him.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Do you think Brendon is simply using this to get his 4th year from the Saints?

I can't see the issue with 4 years , nor understand why they wouldn't give it to him.
Aaron Hamill

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Brian Waldron

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:Do you think Brendon is simply using this to get his 4th year from the Saints?

Aaron Hamill
I'm just not convinced they really want him that much either.

I know a few on here think we might challenge for a flag in the next 2 years… but it is pretty unlikely, so for a team looking to re-build for another tilt in 5 or so years… a player like Caddy will be much more useful than Goddard will - in 5 years.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If he commits to us for 3 years GREAT! If he goes, then I wish him all the best and move on.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think from the lesson of Waldron's 5 year deal for Hamill, we should be very wary of contracts any longer than 3 years. Those sorts of deals are only an ACL away from being a disaster.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Aaron Hamill
That was a long time ago...

5 year deals are back in vogue, let alone 4, and we're only one offer away from losing a gun (not only BJ) if we don't move with the times.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how players like Hurley and Ryder feel, take much lower figures than offered elsewhere because of cap tightness, then all of sudden the bombers can find an extra 750K per year for 4 years.

We've well and truly paid overs (full market value) for our stars for the past 6-7 years, I back the club to take a sustainable approach to list management from here on in, even if it means losing a player. You just can't match rival offers for every good player as they will inevitably be 20-30% higher than we can afford.

All good players have to settle for less if they want to remain at a club, that is a fact that we seem to have ignored in the past, it has to stop now > the thought of Gram, Kosi & Jones… contract clauses blows my mind, pure insanity.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Aaron Hamill

5 year deals are back in vogue, let alone 4, and we're only one offer away from losing a gun (not only BJ) if we don't move with the times.
Care to name these 5 year deals that are back in vogue?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
beebarry
Club Player

Deledio, Hurley, Sam Reid, Ablett, Scully, Ward. - all 5 year deals

dragit
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote:Deledio, Hurley, Sam Reid, Ablett, Scully, Ward. - all 5 year deals
So all 25 and under at the time, except maybe Ablett who is comfortably the best player getting around.

Goddard - 28 early next season - no 4-5 year deal.

shmic_s
Club Player

dragit wrote:
shmic_s wrote:Then send Raph Clarke, who GC have interest in as a half forward
Is this for real?
I think we would need to give more than him & pick 12 for 2 very good young players.
Yes for real. And I agree, it would be a really good deal for us.
But, Caddy out of contract and can walk if he wants. A first round pick a fair result for them. (cough cough, Luke Ball)
Hickey I haven't seen alot of, so can't really comment. But I rate Raph Clarke and don't see it as that unreasonable. As mentioned, might have to throw in our second round pick.

Realistically, 99% of the hypothetical trades fans and the media mention at this time of the year will not happen.
If Goddard goes, I just want Pelchin work some magic and keep us moving forward.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Aaron Hamill

SainterK could you please name some players that have been signed up on five year deals in the last few years that have been worth 5 year deals.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Aaron Hamill
Didnt Gram get 4 years after 2009 GF . I suspect that is the reason the club is reluctant to go down that path

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
beebarry wrote:Deledio, Hurley, Sam Reid, Ablett, Scully, Ward. - all 5 year deals
So all 25 and under at the time, except maybe Ablett who is comfortably the best player getting around.

Goddard - 28 early next season - no 4-5 year deal.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
andrewg
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:So far Goddard has been off to Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle and Melbourne. Oh and he's also a chance at staying with the Saints. These sort of stories will be every week until free agency actually starts. Only then will we get a true picture of who the real players are. Let's see, if BJ goes and we get pick 13 then Caddy from the Suns would be a nice replacement for half the wage IMO.
Agree