Saints leading Caddy race

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints leading Caddy race

I wouldn't waste pick 14 for Caddy. In this year's draft you're likely to get a better player than him in at pick 14. I've seen him play and there's nothing that excites me about him. I really don't know what all the fuss is about him.

suss
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:GC have to shed a number of players due to their list concession expiring this year. Adding to their challenges their list faces O'Meara comes into their senior list and they will likely gain Kurt Tippet. Cos of these circumstances the hot tip is they are trying to package a number of players for pick(s). These players include Caddy, Weller, Toy and Hickey. I wouldn't be surprised to see the club that gets Caddy will pay top dollar worth of pick(s) and also get one or two other players such as the ones mentioned. GC will not take players, only picks, sans Tippet.
The raid on GC and GWS players over the coming years will be interesting (and delightful to watch). The AFL have gifted them a massive head start but I don't doubt that these kids will consider there options when the other clubs come calling.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

MCG-Unit wrote:
St Ick wrote:Free agency rules are unfair. If BJ leaves, and we pick up another FA, our compensation will be affected to the point to where a first round pick becomes second or third round. So why is it that our compensation is affected but a club simply picking up players doesnt give up anything?

Im keen as on Caddy, watched him a bit this year and is an awesome prospect for a teenager regardless of what his stats were, if he was to come to us he would be at the top of the list in under 21 year olds.

Now one last thought, if we were able to keep BJ, would we be happy to get Caddy with our first rounder assuming we have space in our cap as has been reported?
Yes I would give up the first round DP for Caddy, subject to a medical - if Goddard stays, which I hope he does.....
You would hope that he would pass a medical considering he is what...20?

That being said it is a no-brainer as to throwing our first-rounder at him. Two years of development essentially we do not have to spend on him and he should be good enough to go and at the very least play a minor part of our 22.

That being said I would not expect much of him first season though as all players take a wee while to develop.

kimberly saint
Club Player

just out interest wat pick was caddy ?

jays
Club Player

would be a great get imo

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:just out interest wat pick was caddy ?

7, i think

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote:I wouldn't waste pick 14 for Caddy. In this year's draft you're likely to get a better player than him in at pick 14. I've seen him play and there's nothing that excites me about him. I really don't know what all the fuss is about him.

Unless you barrack for a different club you wont have to worry about pick 14 as we will have 12-13 if we have a compo pick... he was pick 7, but there was also a bunch of 17 year olds taken a year earlier so it could be more like 10-14 in an uncompromised draft

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
defacto
Club Player

theres absolutely no way i would give up a first round pick for him.

if we did it would have to be something similar to the saad/milera trade. gold coast would have to get their hands on a late first rounder.

caddy + later first round pick for our first rounder

alternatively we would need to get another player. but i dont like the idea of giving up the chance to back our selves in to find our own talent.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:just out interest wat pick was caddy ?
If you were really interested you would have read the whole thread and seen that he was pick seven in 2010.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:The fact that he is a teenager mean much to you?
It means he's young. It doesn't mean he's tracking to be Chris Judd or Dane Swan. Both of those players broke in with teams that averaged about 50 less disposals per game than what GC do now. Different era of footy. Judd had kicked 50+ goals by the end of his second season and was one of the most exciting young players in footy. I don't see that in Caddy. I see Caddy as a b-tier level player forced into AFL duty because his team is rubbish. I think he'd be, at best, our number 6 mid, fighting with the likes of Ledger, Ray and Ross for playing time. I don't think he's enough of an upgrade on any of those players to warrant the trade, especially when we're in desperate need of young talent in other places (key back, key forward, ruck).

I'm not saying Caddy's valueless. I do think that he was drafted early because of his endurance and his footy has never lived up to his athleticism. If we could get him at a bargain I'd love to have him. I don't see pick 12 as a bargain though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Old Mate wrote:GC have to shed a number of players due to their list concession expiring this year. Adding to their challenges their list faces O'Meara comes into their senior list and they will likely gain Kurt Tippet. Cos of these circumstances the hot tip is they are trying to package a number of players for pick(s). These players include Caddy, Weller, Toy and Hickey. I wouldn't be surprised to see the club that gets Caddy will pay top dollar worth of pick(s) and also get one or two other players such as the ones mentioned. GC will not take players, only picks, sans Tippet.
The raid on GC and GWS players over the coming years will be interesting (and delightful to watch). The AFL have gifted them a massive head start but I don't doubt that these kids will consider there options when the other clubs come calling.

love ya post...and it's true...fortunately.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
defacto
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
It means he's young. It doesn't mean he's tracking to be Chris Judd or Dane Swan. Both of those players broke in with teams that averaged about 50 less disposals per game than what GC do now. Different era of footy. Judd had kicked 50+ goals by the end of his second season and was one of the most exciting young players in footy. I don't see that in Caddy. I see Caddy as a b-tier level player forced into AFL duty because his team is rubbish. I think he'd be, at best, our number 6 mid, fighting with the likes of Ledger, Ray and Ross for playing time. I don't think he's enough of an upgrade on any of those players to warrant the trade, especially when we're in desperate need of young talent in other places (key back, key forward, ruck).

I'm not saying Caddy's valueless. I do think that he was drafted early because of his endurance and his footy has never lived up to his athleticism. If we could get him at a bargain I'd love to have him. I don't see pick 12 as a bargain though.
+1

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Caddy, Hickey yes.

Weller is an egomaniac. Toy is as hard as fresh bread. Wouldn't touch either.

GC's problem is they HAVE to cull. Everyone knows it. Why deal with them on that basis? There'll be rookies lolling about compulsorily...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

Yes to Caddy but not for our 1st pick, No 12.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:

Fair enough, we have differing views. I am basing mine on potential, only having one real preseason, being young and showing signs of being a great player. You are more realistic and safe. Neither of us are necessarily incorrect as dealing with this sort of stuff is mainly speculation anyway.

I can't see him going for less than say, pick 14. I agree its a lot to give up for him considering potential injuries but I think its his worth. GC want a high pick and not lots of picks or players due to condensing their list. This makes it interesting as I would have been happy to move on a second rounder also for Toy, Hickey and Caddy.

I acknowledge Toy is soft but has great skills combined with being a star junior. GCs unaccountable style of footy surely isn't going to instill toughness to a kid. But a preseason or two being manned up on Lenny Hayes in every one on one drill could and he is worth a punt as a sweetener.

Consider this, for a bit of fun...

Saints give, pick 13 and early second rounder or we could do a shuffle to get a better pick
GC get Tippett
Saints get Hickey, Toy and Caddy
Adelaide get pick 13, second rounder, Jolly and/or an earlier pick from GC.

Giving us 3 good young kids with a lot of potential, GC lose 4 players but get Tippett (Hickey will drop out if Tippett is added).

Personally I think its a little bit weighted in our favour but I would be happy with it. Would also mean we lose BJ and second round pick and gain the 3 GC kids. (if as expected BJ walks). Note this is all based on the two first rounders I dont think I would trade off our pick 12 if BJ stays.

Strength through Loyalty
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:

Saints give, pick 13 and early second rounder or we could do a shuffle to get a better pick
GC get Tippett

Giving us 3 good young kids with a lot of potential, GC lose 4 players but get Tippett (Hickey will drop out if Tippett is added).

Personally I think its a little bit weighted in our favour but I would be happy with it. .
A little bit..... :shock:

No way would we be able give up so little, and gain so much.

If you want to propose trades do try and be at least reasonably realistic.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
St Ick wrote:

GC get Tippett

Personally I think its a little bit weighted in our favour but I would be happy with it. .
A little bit..... :shock:

No way would we be able give up so little, and gain so much.

If you want to propose trades do try and be at least reasonably realistic.
Fair enough, the new clubs are creating situations which are unique come trade week. Would you consider Milera, Saad and pick 25 for pick 20 reasonable? I don't actually think my trade scenario will work but fact is that GC need to get rid of players and that is a situation someone like Pelchin/Bains can take advantage of. Takes more guts to suggest something than to just keep shooting others suggestions down.

Strength through Loyalty
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Fair enough, the new clubs are creating situations which are unique come trade week. Would you consider Milera, Saad and pick 25 for pick 20 reasonable? .

It was a steal for us.

However the club we traded with was not actually giving up anything much from their perspective as they had already stockpilied a lot of early picks, which was their strategy that year, and so they did not actually want to list players like Saad or Milera. Knowing this Pelchen was able to strike a very good deal.

They were looking to get as many low picks as possible. So for GWS to give up two players that they were never going to list to move lower was for them still good value as it strengthened their overall possible. Essentially they from their point of view gave up nothing to move lower.

Given how well Saad went they may on reflection change their mind if they could a year later. Though I doubt that they are really fussed.

This year it is different as we are now talking of players on their lists and trading for them. This is now a very finite resource and so they will be looking for fair value in any trade.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Takes more guts to suggest something than to just keep shooting others suggestions down.
Interesting....I would have thought I regularly posted all sorts of opinions and theories...so I don't follow your logic at all.

If you take Caddy....pick 13. I am not sure he is worth it though.

If they took BJ...I would want more than Caddy as a trade. But the rules allow BJ to circumvent being traded.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 16 Sep 2012 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Fair enough, the new clubs are creating situations which are unique come trade week. Would you consider Milera, Saad and pick 25 for pick 20 reasonable? .

It was a steal for us.

However the club we traded with was not actually giving up anything much from their perspective as they had already stockpilied a lot of early picks, which was their strategy that year, and so they did not actually want to list players like Saad or Milera. Knowing this Pelchen was able to strike a very good deal.

They were looking to get as many low picks as possible. So for GWS to give up two players that they were never going to list to move lower was for them still good value as it strengthened their overall possible. Essentially they from their point of view gave up nothing to move lower.

Given how well Saad went they may on reflection change their mind if they could a year later. Though I doubt that they are really fussed.

This year it is different as we are now talking of players on their lists and trading for them. This is now a very finite resource and so they will be looking for fair value in any trade.
The point was they need to condense their list by a lot so thats unique and could create an opportunity to steal a player. Thats all

Strength through Loyalty
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:

The point was they need to condense their list by a lot so thats unique and could create an opportunity to steal a player. Thats all
As you say opportunities will present if they are sought.

They do as you say have to shrink. Though I would not take it a as given with the new clubs that they will gift away trades too gernerously, as some of the players they have gained will be assessed as not being good enough and will just be delisted at no value with no takers, just as the Saints have delisted Crocker and Archer.

We gained Schnieder and Dempster for pick 26 -odd due the Swans having salary cap problems.....and I dare say Lyon having a relationship with Roos. So hopefully Pelchen can find some out-perform trades again this year.

Pelchen will having his shopping list:

* FB
* Ruck

* Plus the continuation of getting more skilful and or/quicker players. Plus will have an eye on replacing Roo and Lenny down the track.

He will be seeking trades that can upgrade us, and address current deficiencies and weaknesses. Obvious in itself...but he art and skill will be how well Pelchen can achieve it.

Will be very interesting to see which FB he settles for.

With ruck:
* Does he go for an upgrade on Ben?
* or just a Back up?
* ora ruck/forward like Hale to complement Ben?

doggerel
Club Player

Greg Denham said this morning on SEN that Caddy seems headed for one of Geelong or Carlton.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:Greg Denham said this morning on SEN that Caddy seems headed for one of Geelong or Carlton.

He said Fev is million to one to go to Brisbane.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
doggerel wrote:Greg Denham said this morning on SEN that Caddy seems headed for one of Geelong or Carlton.

He said Fev is million to one to go to Brisbane.
Well he cant go to Geelong because we have a pick ahead of them. Id be totally peeved if the Blues get him - we should have tanked against those cheating arrogant w*nkers.

I say bring Caddy to Saints for pick 13. CMON!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ahhhh..... but if he goes to Carlton at least we still tried our best last game..... we had the moral win.... just can't see how that translates to helping us move forward 6 months from now in a new season...

“Yeah….nah””