This guy (Rossy) can't coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: This guy (Rossy) can't coach

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I would back my footy knowledge over yours.
Surprise surprise...Who cares if you have a chip on your shoulders? Who cares what your opinion is. Facts are that Rossco failed to get the job done. He may have picked up one or two good recycled palyers -and it would've been good if Dempster knew how to find the goals in 2009 the same way Stewy Dew found them the year before - but facts are the forwards that Lyon selected did not get the job done.

My line about blooding a forward was in reference to the FIVE years that your f***** great coach had at the Saints - that was my point. Who the f*** did he blood as a forward in 5 whole years? ANNDD....................we've been through this conversation before. You always go on about about who, and I always go on about Armo and Jack. Lyon could have tried another forward or tried to blood Jack as a second small forward in early '09. Jack Steven showed what he could do in the Rnd 19 match at Launceston. Lyon just didn't value Jack's talent.

Jack was injured come finals time. He had bad groins but you should know that if you had any proper knowledge. i have no chip on my shoulder but I know more about footy than you. means jack though as I just discovered Camilla Parker Bowles knows more about footy than you. Really you need to stop. it continues to embarrass your family.
Your nose just grew an inch. Would Ross have named him as an emergency in a prelim in 2009 if he had 'bad groins'? Like we all know...you twist things round to suit your argument and then you tell us that you have a fatuation about Camilla LOL...wtf??

http://wikisaints.truesainters.com/inde ... ack_Steven

"Despite playing well on debut Steven was left out of the side for Round 20 as St Kilda had to make room for their returning stars. Jack was named as an emergency for three of St Kilda’s final six games of the season including the Preliminary Final against the Western Bulldogs."

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:[

Your nose just grew an inch. Would Ross have named him as an emergency in a prelim in 2009 if he had 'bad groins'? Like we all know...you twist things round to suit your argument and then you tell us that you have a fatuation about Camilla LOL...wtf??

http://wikisaints.truesainters.com/inde ... ack_Steven

"Despite playing well on debut Steven was left out of the side for Round 20 as St Kilda had to make room for their returning stars. Jack was named as an emergency for three of St Kilda’s final six games of the season including the Preliminary Final against the Western Bulldogs."
in fact jack and armo both starred in games for casey around then.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

imhfo...lyon tanked in both of our games final games against the swans last year...why did he do it??...beats me...maybe to make his cut and run to freo easier.....all i know is that he didn't give his all in those games...either at selection or on match day.....in my view...and i'm not going to change...he is a low life and i hope freo never wins a flag.... at least whilst he's their coach....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop, you've just become my favorite forumite. Your spot on.

Funny how anyone who criticises RL now is classed as a revisionist. SOme of us thought he was a decent coach that made some pretty glaring mistakes that are now being widely acknowledged

bigred
Saintsational Legend

So is this another year of fail from RL?

Gifted a list.
Gets them to finals but cannot go the distance?

My heart is friggen bleeding here.
Struggled to get up this morning as I am still not over seeing Freo lose.

Such a shame.
Such a waste of a year.

Everyone was humming on him last week about how he is the supercoach.

Suck it Ross.

Just a little chip on my shoulder.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
murray 66
Club Player

Typical saints footy played by Freo last night.The game plan is very taxing and demanding on the mids where they have to gut run to help out the defence and then run and create when the ball is turned over.It lasts for most of the match before cracks appear and the opposition find space and the gameplan becomes exposed.You have to take all your opportunities and kick accuratlely while the sun shines because the opposition is always left hanging in the game.Pavlich was well beaten last night and when the game was their to be won freo just defended and had no other way to kick goals.Sound familar???????????

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Scollop, you've just become my favorite forumite. Your spot on.

Funny how anyone who criticises RL now is classed as a revisionist. SOme of us thought he was a decent coach that made some pretty glaring mistakes that are now being widely acknowledged
The mistakes as you call them are subjective claptrap.

Have been proven to be opinion time and time again.

Here are some facts 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime in the 2009 GF.

Players kic straight - we win.

Lyon got us to two consecutive GF's. First one the players lost. Second one the players almost won it after Lyon swapped Kosi into the ruck, Ray on to Swan and Gilbert up forward.

Lyon was not to blame for 2009, but cannot be praised for the almost win as the changes were forced on him mainly by the injury to Gardiner.

This absolute garbage about him being to blame for us not winning the flag IS REVISIONIST stupidity.

In saying that, he had run his race at the Saints, and I for one didn't lose sleep over a Freo team losing last night.

As for the cannonisation of Lyon a sthe "mastrer coach" some do. Well he has failed to win a flag in another finals series. the Freo team who has supposedly improved under Lyon had a relative free injury run this year with Barlow and Sandilands being available for much of it.

Also watch Freo reminds me how much i dislike Lyons style of play. Didn't mind it when we were challenging for flags as we were winning, but as a neutral, it is metronomic, and brutally boring.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

murray 66 wrote:Typical saints footy played by Freo last night.The game plan is very taxing and demanding on the mids where they have to gut run to help out the defence and then run and create when the ball is turned over.It lasts for most of the match before cracks appear and the opposition find space and the gameplan becomes exposed.You have to take all your opportunities and kick accuratlely while the sun shines because the opposition is always left hanging in the game.Pavlich was well beaten last night and when the game was their to be won freo just defended and had no other way to kick goals.Sound familar???????????
Yes indeed does sound familiar. Thats why the 7.7 to 7.1 halftime score in the 2009 Gf was so critical. It was last night three years ago if you know what I mean.

GF1 2010 was an abberation in the Lyon gameplan where his changes worked a treat and Lenny and bj almost got us over the line with a lot of help from Gilbo and others.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:So is this another year of fail from RL?

Gifted a list.

Such a shame.
Such a waste of a year.

Suck it Ross.

+1

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mark Harvey said that this was the year he was going for the premiership...

reasonable injury list, I believe that they needed to finish 4th at minimum with a prelim, for a pass.

To me they underachieved

andrewg
Club Player

stinger wrote:
bigred wrote:So is this another year of fail from RL?

Gifted a list.

Such a shame.
Such a waste of a year.

Suck it Ross.

+2

+1

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Mark Harvey said that this was the year he was going for the premiership...
Of course he did. :lol:

murray 66
Club Player

I also noticed Joffa that as the game went on and Freo's mids couldn't physically run back and defend their backs were exposed one on one (Silvaghni).

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Mark Harvey said that this was the year he was going for the premiership...

reasonable injury list, I believe that they needed to finish 4th at minimum with a prelim, for a pass.

To me they underachieved
yes, I do believe this stuff about how much Lyon has improved Freo is a bit overrated.

Their injury list last season was appalling, they lost their best mid in Barlow the whole season, and Sandilands for much of it. They had a heap of other injuries and were cooked by about midway of the season. Harvey threw games into the kids under the mistaken belief that he would benefit from that this season.

Lyon got the players back fit and the benefit of the work Harvey had done for years.

Lance or James??

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:

To me they underachieved
yes, I do believe this stuff about how much Lyon has improved Freo is a bit overrated.

Their injury list last season was appalling, they lost their best mid in Barlow the whole season, and Sandilands for much of it. They had a heap of other injuries and were cooked by about midway of the season. Harvey threw games into the kids under the mistaken belief that he would benefit from that this season.

Lyon got the players back fit and the benefit of the work Harvey had done for years.
I agree completely. Freo have a good list. They were playing exceptionally well the year before and last year early in the season prior to being hit by injuries (needed a little tinkering on their defensive side of the game).

Ross has 4 years left to get them to a grand final before he grinds the club, players and coaching staff in to the ground like he did with us (not a criticism, just how much he demands perfection, control and the style of play he demands from his players). He will always have a shelf life of approximately 4-5 years at a club IMO.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I agree that his game plan has a shelf-life of no more than 5 years ... and his time with us had come to an end ... and I am happy to watch us play some more attractive footy. I just hope we can halt other teams coming hard at us - and win the close ones next year.
I am not sure that any coach should stay longer than 5 years though.
Recalling the 2009 goal misses is just torture - we should have had them on the canvas at half-time and appalling kicking cost us the game - it really was a big choke, unfortunately. Ball also should have played in the last quarter. Freo by chosing defence over scoring allowed Adelaide the chance to come back. Lyon is not Mr Perfect.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im glad theyre out
and next week ill be as happy when the crows get smacked by the hawks :mrgreen:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
skeptic wrote:Scollop, you've just become my favorite forumite. Your spot on.

The mistakes as you call them are subjective claptrap.

Have been proven to be opinion time and time again.

Here are some facts 7.7 to 7.1 at halftime in the 2009 GF.

Players kic straight - we win.

Lyon got us to two consecutive GF's. First one the players lost. Second one the players almost won it after Lyon swapped Kosi into the ruck, Ray on to Swan and Gilbert up forward.

Lyon was not to blame for 2009, but cannot be praised for the almost win as the changes were forced on him mainly by the injury to Gardiner.

This absolute garbage about him being to blame for us not winning the flag IS REVISIONIST stupidity.

In saying that, he had run his race at the Saints, and I for one didn't lose sleep over a Freo team losing last night.

As for the cannonisation of Lyon a sthe "mastrer coach" some do. Well he has failed to win a flag in another finals series. the Freo team who has supposedly improved under Lyon had a relative free injury run this year with Barlow and Sandilands being available for much of it.

Also watch Freo reminds me how much i dislike Lyons style of play. Didn't mind it when we were challenging for flags as we were winning, but as a neutral, it is metronomic, and brutally boring.

Hi JB,

Just to clarify, that comment wasn't in referencing the 09 GF which you and I have previously logged heads in. I agree that he wasn't to blame for that loss which is contrary to what I have said in the past but I still feel he didn't coach as well as he could have which is one of many many factors that contributed to the loss on the day.

My comment was in reference to his overall strategy from 2010 onwards. In that time there were a handful on mediocre players that were consistently gifted games despite sustained poor form instead of playing kids that could have developed into something better. People use the argument that Lyon sacrficed tomorrow for today. IMO there was no benefit to today in playing McQualter so that he could get his 10 touches and 5 tackles whilst doing the infamous role. Whilst I respect his achievements over that time, I feel we could have been a bit better then we were if he made what I consider obvious changes

Same deal with a handful of other players over the course of 2010-11.

I like yourself could give 2 $#!ts about boring footy when we were winning and challenging for flags... if we had beaten Geelong in 09 with a score of 27-15 I couldn't have cared less. Insane argument that 1.

I like SW, simply because I think he is developing our list and taking it in the right direction. I like what I see so far. We'll see what happens next

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

To me they underachieved

I agree completely. Freo have a good list. They were playing exceptionally well the year before and last year early in the season prior to being hit by injuries (needed a little tinkering on their defensive side of the game).

Ross has 4 years left to get them to a grand final before he grinds the club, players and coaching staff in to the ground like he did with us (not a criticism, just how much he demands perfection, control and the style of play he demands from his players). He will always have a shelf life of approximately 4-5 years at a club IMO.
I agree as well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-31/i ... lp/2864552

Ross just showed he is smarter than the average bear, people can argue all they like that Ross left because the St Kilda admin stuffed up, but I reckon he'd have left anyway.

Especially once Freo came to the table, I mean look at the age/state of their list compared to ours. Hard work has been done, and it's prime and ready to go. If he'd stayed his market value would of hugely diminished....he knew that, career coach that he is.