Geelong has joined the queue for Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geelong has joined the queue for Goddard

GEELONG has emerged as the latest club to consider recruiting free agent Brendon Goddard, as St Kilda fights hard to keep him.

The Cats have salary cap room due to a change in the veterans list and the retirement of Matthew Scarlett and David Wojcinski.

Having already tried and failed to tempt Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield and Port Adelaide's Travis Boak, the Cats have inquired about what it might take to lure Goddard.

But Fremantle has all but given up the chase for Goddard, 27, despite having pursued him for most of the season.

The Dockers have conceded that Goddard, considering his options as a free agent, is unwilling to relocate to Perth.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelon ... 6476845732

There you go you stupid dingbat Peter Vlahos.

Not going to Freo unlike what you keep harping on about. Was it you that made the enquiry to the Royal Perth Golf club?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yaysaints
Club Player

Re: Geelong has joined the queue for Goddard

Amazing how rumours gain traction and bj was already at freemantle.
Like all players that leave us, I'd be disappointed if they win a flag at another
club but not so much with beej.
The guy I begrudge the most I reckon is Luke ball who by stating his preferred
club so strongly ensured we lost him and received nothing.

slider
Club Player

A mate of mine last night said Brisbane are after him? i dont know where all these rumours come from.
Until he decides what hes doing its just that, all rumours.

If he goes he goes and if he stays he stays.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

If he goes, whilst in theory I'd understand his decision to chase the big bucks, it would still REALLY PISS ME OFF - he has been paid handsomely and the fact is, he has TOTALLY UNDERPERFORMED for the last few years. In fact at times he has carried on like a petulant brat out on the ground and we all know what he's capable of.

The true GREATS of this game don't do this, they give of themselves 100%, often more, (HARVES, ROO, LENNY, BURKE, LOEWE, etc - just to name ones from our club alone), and they make a decision to stick it out with the one club and forge something beyond what a few extra bucks can buy.

The way I see it BJ has a choice, he could knuckle down, earn some FANTASTICALLY INCREDIBLE MONEY and become a CLUB LEGEND with a club who have nurtured him and supported him from the start of his career OR he can F#$K OFF to to a club who will pay a bit more FANTASTICALLY INCREDIBLE MONEY but are actually, to GENUINE ST KILDA LOVING PEOPLE, in pure football supporting terms, THE F#$%ING ENEMY.

If he pisses off, I for one, won't be applauding his decision as part of a 'reasonable or understandable modern trend', I will be comparing him to all those guys who could have done EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUT DIDN'T and in my eyes he'll be little more than A SQUIB WHO F$#KED OFF FOR THE DOUGH.

If you can stand before your teammates and members and declare your love and passion for the place, then PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and sign the friggin' paper, if not THEN STOP PULLING OUR D$&KS and F$&K OFF to Geelong or Essendon or whoever the F&*k it is wiling to line your pockets with more cash than we can afford. Don't expect me to applaud your decision though, expect me to see it exactly as it is - a desertion! Expect boo's and derision and venom until the day you retire, for you will no longer be this great of the club, you will just be some guy who could have been but never quite was, A SKUNK who f#$ked off for the cash.

The choice is yours!

Look again it's the Flash!!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Arent Geelong one of the clubs that dont pay their players huge amounts?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Arent Geelong one of the clubs that dont pay their players huge amounts?
That's what they say. So from Geelong's point of view they wouldn't be making the mega offer, altho they may be one of the clubs prepared to offer 4 years. However even with 4 years I doubt the overall amount would be a hell of a lot greater than he could earn at Seaford.

And from BJ's point of view I doubt Geelong's also aging list would pursuade him that the chances of a flag are significantly better than if he remains at the Saints.

kimberly saint
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote:If he goes, whilst in theory I'd understand his decision to chase the big bucks, it would still REALLY PISS ME OFF - he has been paid handsomely and the fact is, he has TOTALLY UNDERPERFORMED for the last few years. In fact at times he has carried on like a petulant brat out on the ground and we all know what he's capable of.

The true GREATS of this game don't do this, they give of themselves 100%, often more, (HARVES, ROO, LENNY, BURKE, LOEWE, etc - just to name ones from our club alone), and they make a decision to stick it out with the one club and forge something beyond what a few extra bucks can buy.

The way I see it BJ has a choice, he could knuckle down, earn some FANTASTICALLY INCREDIBLE MONEY and become a CLUB LEGEND with a club who have nurtured him and supported him from the start of his career OR he can F#$K OFF to to a club who will pay a bit more FANTASTICALLY INCREDIBLE MONEY but are actually, to GENUINE ST KILDA LOVING PEOPLE, in pure football supporting terms, THE F#$%ING ENEMY.

If he pisses off, I for one, won't be applauding his decision as part of a 'reasonable or understandable modern trend', I will be comparing him to all those guys who could have done EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUT DIDN'T and in my eyes he'll be little more than A SQUIB WHO F$#KED OFF FOR THE DOUGH.

If you can stand before your teammates and members and declare your love and passion for the place, then PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and sign the friggin' paper, if not THEN STOP PULLING OUR D$&KS and F$&K OFF to Geelong or Essendon or whoever the F&*k it is wiling to line your pockets with more cash than we can afford. Don't expect me to applaud your decision though, expect me to see it exactly as it is - a desertion! Expect boo's and derision and venom until the day you retire, for you will no longer be this great of the club, you will just be some guy who could have been but never quite was, A SKUNK who f#$ked off for the cash.

The choice is yours!

well said

. I cant believe people are still talking about him being captain if he stays. A captain should bleed for the club

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote: I cant believe people are still talking about him being captain if he stays. A captain should bleed for the club
Not buying into whether or not he should be captain.

But if he ultimately turns down huge offers to remain a Saint that will be enough blood for me.

And lord knows I've seen enough in my profession :wink:

kimberly saint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
kimberly saint wrote: I cant believe people are still talking about him being captain if he stays. A captain should bleed for the club

But if he ultimately turns down huge offers to remain a Saint that will be enough blood for me.

yer guess i am just a bit old school and more into loyalty , and forget it is more a business these days to sum .

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Arent Geelong one of the clubs that dont pay their players huge amounts?

Yes they are. Cmaeron Ling owns half of the Geelong Beach Front Strip playing on about 250k a season. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

yer guess i am just a bit old school and more into loyalty , and forget it is more a business these days to sum .
I understand, but the rules have changed and with Free Agency in I'm prepared to give blokes a bit of latitude.

For me any questions of loyalty will be determined by what BJ ultimately does and not by the fact he hasn't already signed.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cameron Mooney was talking about loyalty not so long ago on a footy show. He made the comment that players are not so much loyal to their club cos when the club is finished with them they spit them out without thinking twice about it. He went on to say that in his experience what kept his teammates together was loyalty to one another and not the club. I found that interesting.

Edit: Actually that was Cam Mooney not Ling that said that.

jays
Club Player

he can go

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Are there any Auctioneers out there? There could be a demand for your services around 1 Oct !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Mooney was 100% correct. Why should BJ be loyal to our club?
The clubs show no loyalty to players beyond what they can get out of them, so why should players be any different.
Players are no more emotionally involved with the club than you or I are with our work.
We probably wouldn't swap to a competitor for the same money but for a significant increase chances are that 90% would jump with little hesitation.
Let's not kid ourselves if the club didn't see value in BJ they would dump him like a piece of trash.
They did it to club champion Nicky Winmar so they don't care what the player has given to the club just what they have yet to give.

andrewg
Club Player

Can't see BJ going. saints and BJ just seeing if the four year contract is out there. BJ just forcing the saints hand I imagine with the for year deal in that we will have to match it because of free agency. The longer this drags on the more faith I have he will stay a saint. My very good mail is that the only big offer he has is from GWS

saintbob
SS Life Member

Yaysaints wrote:Amazing how rumours gain traction and bj was already at freemantle.
Like all players that leave us, I'd be disappointed if they win a flag at another
club but not so much with beej.
The guy I begrudge the most I reckon is Luke ball who by stating his preferred
club so strongly ensured we lost him and received nothing.
I think RL's stubbornness had a lot to do with why we received nothing for Luke Ball, we were offered players from Collingwood to do the deal.
But RL being the d**khead that he is refused to budge, which left Bally no other option than to nominate a club.

paddy
Club Player

If he wants to go to a club that has a chance for a flag, i cant really think of anyone who is an obvoius threat that can afford him, in victoria.

hawks, pies dont need/ cant afford probably; richmond dont need him

i suppose north or bombers are the ones that would be most likely to win a flag from melbourne who need/can afford him... who are a possibility to be up and about over the next few years.

melbourne can afford him, but prob aren't a contender, same as doggies.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Maybe there is more to the delay than we think, maybe BJ is aggrieved for whatever reason?

I don't think it's fair if people want to resent his leaving, but I really won't think it's fair if people resent his staying.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

He'll probably get paid in Falcons

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Cameron Mooney was talking about loyalty not so long ago on a footy show. He made the comment that players are not so much loyal to their club cos when the club is finished with them they spit them out without thinking twice about it. He went on to say that in his experience what kept his teammates together was loyalty to one another and not the club. I found that interesting.

Edit: Actually that was Cam Mooney not Ling that said that.
That's perfectly normal and footy players have told me the same thing. I really couldn't believe Malthouse's hypocricy when the club cut Capuano. He knows how it works.

Players are treated like commodities. Clubs would deny this but it's just the way it is.

What BJ is doing now is also sensible and perfectly normal, for him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The Linton Street Flash wrote:If he goes, whilst in theory I'd understand his decision to chase the big bucks, it would still REALLY PISS ME OFF - he has been paid handsomely and the fact is, he has TOTALLY UNDERPERFORMED for the last few years. In fact at times he has carried on like a petulant brat out on the ground and we all know what he's capable of.

The choice is yours!
Yep, Fair call. Comprised draft as well... We might end up getting S.F.A for him like Bally.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He will be very well compensated if he stays so is only leaving for the more that he can scrounge. Can't respect the decision if it's for a couple of hundred thousand over a few years. He could earn that back when he gets media gigs, post footy positions at the club or in AFL roles etc. The guys that sell out rarely are afforded the same junkets as they are always tainted by being seen as mercenaries.

Ask Ross Lyon- it's what you do with your money not how much you earn.

Superstar
Club Player

Yeah, but they have also been comfortable signing players to longer term deals.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Superstar wrote:
Yeah, but they have also been comfortable signing players to longer term deals.
Really? Then why is Paul Chapman so disgruntled at the moment.....??

Fortius Quo Fidelius