Saints into Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints into Hickey

Todays Age (haven't got link) have reported we have met Caddy but also offered Hickey 3 year deal with questions over McEvoys tap work. Also said we aren't only Vic club looking at Hickey but we are a "strong " chance so that's clearly the priority

“Yeah….nah””
FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Saints into Hickey

Is he any good? Will he eventually overtake Mcevoy?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Tks Doc

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Todays Age (haven't got link) have reported we have met Caddy but also offered Hickey 3 year deal with questions over McEvoys tap work. Also said we aren't only Vic club looking at Hickey but we are a "strong " chance so that's clearly the priority

First thing I have no problems believing that we may have approached Hickey. Hickey looks like a very promising young ruckman. What I do struggle to believe and find it a crock that someone from the club has given info out saying theres question marks over McEvoys tap work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:Todays Age (haven't got link) have reported we have met Caddy but also offered Hickey 3 year deal with questions over McEvoys tap work. Also said we aren't only Vic club looking at Hickey but we are a "strong " chance so that's clearly the priority

First thing I have no problems believing that we may have approached Hickey. Hickey looks like a very promising young ruckman. What I do struggle to believe and find it a crock that someone from the club has given info out saying theres question marks over McEvoys tap work.
Club didn't say that - the article did

It said McEvoys lack of leap at centre bounces was part of the concern. Anyway, does it matter? We all know McEvoy aunt the greates at the centre bounce - around the ground different story

“Yeah….nah””
jays
Club Player

not a bad move imo

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:not a bad move imo
Jays love your posts but could you shorten them up a bit ?

“Yeah….nah””
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

So of we get him, what do you see McEvoys roll going foward if he is not first ruck?

I love this club
dragit
Saintsational Legend

No club statement needed, pretty universally accepted that McEvoy's tap work is well behind most # 1 ruckmen, but he is young, so hopefully still had lots of development in him.

There's a fair bit of fear on here about what will happen to Mac if we get another decent ruckmen in... But surely if we were to find a better ruckman, that would be a good thing? Hale > McIntosh > Goldstien, it happened at north and they are better for it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Club didn't say that - the article did

It said McEvoys lack of leap at centre bounces was part of the concern. Anyway, does it matter? We all know McEvoy aunt the greates at the centre bounce - around the ground different story

Wouldnt matter if McEvoys ruckwork equaled SimonMaddens we would still be chasing another ruckman.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Kernal75
Club Player

McEvoy will be first Ruck however maybe Hickey also plays forward, then takes the centre bounces. McEvoy is good araound the ground so perhaps they have Hickey in line for a Kosi type role?

jmac101
Club Player

McEvoy's greatest value for us this year was his ability to drop back and take marks in the backline. Getting him some help in the ruck makes sense. If it is someone that can drift forward and put pressure on Kosi for a place on the side we will be a better team.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Is Tom Hickey the Suns ruckman with longish brown hair? If so he is reliable around goals and would be an excellent pickup.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is he capable of playing a full season next year?
Body wise is he mature enough is light side?

I think as long Stanley is kept out of ruck as much as possible that's a good thing

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

looked at MCEVoys stats and he averages around 25 hitouts a match which isn't that bad

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:McEvoy will be first Ruck however maybe Hickey also plays forward, then takes the centre bounces. McEvoy is good araound the ground so perhaps they have Hickey in line for a Kosi type role?
Also dont forget Stanley, didnt McEvoy take a few marks accross the half back line, maybe those 3 could all play in the 1 side, but it would make it difficult for Kosi to get a game.

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:McEvoy will be first Ruck however maybe Hickey also plays forward, then takes the centre bounces. McEvoy is good araound the ground so perhaps they have Hickey in line for a Kosi type role?
Also dont forget Stanley, didnt McEvoy take a few marks accross the half back line, maybe those 3 could all play in the 1 side, but it would make it difficult for Kosi to get a game.
I suppose it's called recruiting for the future, and that extends beyond 2013.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I still think Mac will evolve into a ruckman of similar ilk to Jolly.

It took Jolly until he was 25-26 to really establish himself in the upper echelon of ruckmen & it's his strength, not his leap (which has never been enormous) that makes him so good. People underestimate how many pre-seasons it takes to develop the kind of strength that Jolly posesses.

If we can land Hickey that will give us a very nice combo over the next 8 years or so.

I totally agree that Stanley needs to stay as a key forward who only has short stints in the ruck or goes there when McEvoy/Hickey are up against Natanui.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I believe that Stanley is developing well as a ruckman. I think he is more effective at centre bounces than Ben.

Royston
Club Player

by Royston » Sat 08 Sep 2012 4:36pm

A saints contingent are dining with the young GC ruck next week. A big defender has also been earmarked, don't know whom or where from (current afl listed or from another comp) as his identity is being very tightly held by a certain few.
All really positive.

* from a couple of weeks ago !!

paddy
Club Player

The reduction in contact prior to bounces will further impact the effectiveness of Macca.... lending itself to more athletic, high jumping, rucks....

however he is fantastic, for his age, at outmuscling other rucks at stoppages.... as he gets older he will be a monster!

It is important that we are prepared (ruck wise) for changes in the way that Ruck's play.. ie big bodied or athletic... and i think that hickey/ stanley/ and Macca give us this depth

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
I suppose it's called recruiting for the future, and that extends beyond 2013.
The other question I have is how would he come to us, via draft/trade, not sure of how we would get him. If its trade then we would probably have to give a high draft pick to get him.

I love this club
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I remember watching this guy against us earlier on in the year. He took a ridiculous amount of contested marks in their forward line. He's a good mover for a big bloke however he's a bit of an 'unco' even for ruckman standards. He was a late bloomer to aussie rules, a project player. I hope we pick him up.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Tks Doc
Can I call you Teffers too?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.