4 votes BJ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: 4 votes BJ?

In a successful team, you should have many players grabbing votes, as a team is generally successful due to many players in the one team having good seasons. We had quite a few players having inconsistant seasons and that showed on the ladder position, having good wins then dropping games we should have won etc. Our overall Brownlow votes reflected that. Obviously a champion playing in a dud team will stand out to the umpires.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Obviously a champion playing in a dud team will stand out to the umpires.
Lenny Hayes :shock:
Anyone begrudging Ablett getting votes is watching with one eye, the guy is an absolute freak.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:Wow, original post is ridiculous, he does realise this right?
Of course it is, but so predictable. Only what suits some peoples agenda.

So Brownlow votes indicate Goddard is not much good. Yet when he polled well in the Saints B&F folks said the voting was flawed !!

When Goddard was high up in the AFLCA votes, we were told these should not be taken into account in determining a players worth.
Also amateurs like us in the SS & BF voting is also totally wrong.

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

So Brownlow votes indicate Goddard is not much good. Yet when he polled well in the Saints B&F folks said the voting was flawed !!

When Goddard was high up in the AFLCA votes, we were told these should not be taken into account in determining a players worth.

I agree it is totally silly to judge worse on brownlow votes but what all the types of vating show over the last 2 years is that BJ does not deserve to be our highest paid player next year or probably in the top 3 in payments. However it seems he will be our highest paid if he stays. Now that doesnt make sense to me at all.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

I agree it is totally silly to judge worse on brownlow votes but what all the types of vating show over the last 2 years is that BJ does not deserve to be our highest paid player next year or probably in the top 3 in payments. However it seems he will be our highest paid if he stays. Now that doesnt make sense to me at all.
Fair enough, people see what they want to. I've never expected the club to match those supposed massive $$ reported in the media - if they're true - but I still think he might stay for less if given the 4 years, which you're saying would make him the highest paid, or in the top few.

Do you reckon Riewoldt has been overpaid the last 3 years, if these figures reported in the media are true? Even if there was some marketing component in there.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 25 Sep 2012 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:Its just become a mid-fielders award , if your not around the umps getting 30+ posi's a game , its tough to be noticed .

Ablett getting 24 votes was a joke , I know he's a fantastic player but when your team only wins 3 games and most of your losses are by more than 10 goals , Its clear that the umpires love him . Maybe its his nude nut as allot of the umpires are also chrome domes .
Uhh, dont agree one bit. Ablett is one of the best ever. He deserved more IMO. Isint it about the best player on the field? Not about best player in the winning team?

No I don't agree either. Ablett is CLEARLY the best player in the comp imo. I thought he would win it. Too much emphasis is palced on who won the game. The award isn't on who played best for the winning team, it's who played best. Ablett was generally that player - it's just that too many of his team mates weren't even close to it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Fair enough. I've never expected the club to match those supposed massive $$ reported in the media - if they're true - but I still think he might stay for less if given the 4 years, which you're saying would make him the highest paid, or in the top few.

Do you reckon Riewoldt has been overpaid the last 3 years, if these figures reported in the media are true? Even if there was some marketing component in there.

I think Rooy has been overpaid for the last 3 years due to injury which has caused him form to not be at his best but Rooy deserved the money he was getting because his form was great when his previous contract came up again. BJ's form is a 5-10 player at the club when his contract has come up. And the reason i would never give BJ 4 years is for the exact reason Rooy is overpaid. Who can tell what will happen in the future. And even if we dont match the offers from other clubs it seems BJ will be our highest paid player. Now that makes no sense to me at all and that is why I really dont care if BJ goes. I cant see why he should be our highest paid player.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Fair enough. I've never expected the club to match those supposed massive $$ reported in the media - if they're true - but I still think he might stay for less if given the 4 years, which you're saying would make him the highest paid, or in the top few.

I think Rooy has been overpaid for the last 3 years due to injury which has caused him form to not be at his best but Rooy deserved the money he was getting because his form was great when his previous contract came up again. BJ's form is a 5-10 player at the club when his contract has come up. And the reason i would never give BJ 4 years is for the exact reason Rooy is overpaid. Who can tell what will happen in the future. And even if we dont match the offers from other clubs it seems BJ will be our highest paid player. Now that makes no sense to me at all and that is why I really dont care if BJ goes. I cant see why he should be our highest paid player.
In that case, a few other clubs must rate him higher than the scale you gave, if these Free Agency offers are true. Some of these are mid table clubs like the Saints, not just the lower end teams.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think BJ is upset with the club for some unknown reason.

I mean why would he have declared he wanted to be a Saint for life, be so bright about the future, bring a letter and coin donation onto a football show from a young supporter wanting him to stay....

If he had intentions to look elsewhere?

I think he was always realistic he'd get better money elsewhere, but being a one club player was important to him.

I fully believe he wanted to stay, I believe the club wanted him to stay, but something has happened to divide the parties. I also believe BJ when he said no formal contract was put to him until about 4-6 weeks ago.

I'm not going to be so quick to blame BJ as some, as the club has recently shown it's quite capable of offending people at times.

Just a gut feel.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think BJ is upset with the club for some unknown reason.

I mean why would he have declared he wanted to be a Saint for life, be so bright about the future, bring a letter and coin donation onto a football show from a young supporter wanting him to stay....

If he had intentions to look elsewhere?

I think he was always realistic he'd get better money elsewhere, but being a one club player was important to him.

I fully believe he wanted to stay, I believe the club wanted him to stay, but something has happened to divide the parties. I also believe BJ when he said no formal contract was put to him until about 4-6 weeks ago.

I'm not going to be so quick to blame BJ as some, as the club has recently shown it's quite capable of offending people at times.

Just a gut feel.

I was very recently told this by someone I trust. BJ was offered a contract very early in the year but because his form still wasnt near 2010 form he deferred it hoping it would improve and it did later in the year. he then wanted to discuss contract but this time the club were looking after other players. I do beleive this to be true.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I think Rooy has been overpaid for the last 3 years due to injury which has caused him form to not be at his best but Rooy deserved the money he was getting because his form was great when his previous contract came up again. BJ's form is a 5-10 player at the club when his contract has come up. And the reason i would never give BJ 4 years is for the exact reason Rooy is overpaid. Who can tell what will happen in the future. And even if we dont match the offers from other clubs it seems BJ will be our highest paid player. Now that makes no sense to me at all and that is why I really dont care if BJ goes. I cant see why he should be our highest paid player.
In a perfect world you are probably right but...also, what ever club he ends up with would be hoping that there is a bit of upside to his form over the last two seasons, obviously.

Who should be our highest paid player? Id say still Roo, then Dal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I think Rooy has been overpaid for the last 3 years due to injury which has caused him form to not be at his best but Rooy deserved the money he was getting because his form was great when his previous contract came up again. BJ's form is a 5-10 player at the club when his contract has come up. And the reason i would never give BJ 4 years is for the exact reason Rooy is overpaid. Who can tell what will happen in the future. And even if we dont match the offers from other clubs it seems BJ will be our highest paid player. Now that makes no sense to me at all and that is why I really dont care if BJ goes. I cant see why he should be our highest paid player.
In a perfect world you are probably right but...also, what ever club he ends up with would be hoping that there is a bit of upside to his form over the last two seasons, obviously.

and Lenny of course...probably number one now..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

and Lenny of course...probably number one now..

He should be but my guess is he is behind BJ, Rooy, Dal and maybe even Joey and Chips.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

NOTTHATAWKWARD wrote:Dempster with 2 votes making the All Australian team. Not to say he doesn't deserve the spot, it's just ammunition for the naysayer's.
How many did the likes of Birchall and Glass get?

The Saints are coming!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Chips has 1 vote for all his years

and CJ has 3

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107