Apparently we have reduced the offer to BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Apparently we have reduced the offer to BJ

If Cloke signs, I also kind of like how most of the 'big' players are staying with their respective clubs that were rumoured to look at a move...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If Cloke signs, I also kind of like how most of the 'big' players are staying with their respective clubs that were rumoured to look at a move...
Really there's nothing to indicate BJ's going anywhere. Just rumours.

And although some claim they are "strong" rumours the reality is that they refer to more than one new home. And the fact there are several clubs mentioned to me makes the rumours rather weak.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I might not be the brightest light going around but I can't see what value to our club it would be to reduce the offer to BJ now.
If we are certain we can't match the other clubs and are fairly sure he is going why not hold out and keep our offer up as high as possible ?
That forces other clubs to pay a premium and also highlights to the AFL what his worth is re: compensation pick.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SMS
Club Player

Bloody saints ... We are going to lose goddard brendon goddard because of our once again incompetence.

Lyon wanted to sign a contract very fair one... We say wait and them lose him

Goddard wanted to sign a very fair contract ... We say no we will be stubborn and lose this elite player over a year??? A year??

We are idiots

Lyon goddard dawson ... Tell me wouldnt have played 2012 finals and tell me 2013 wouldnt be so out of reach ...

Unbelievable.

Dont get me wrong i love watters we got lucky there!

But our stupidity continues as we lose goddard in a few days.

felix
Club Player

BJ probably wants to set up his family for the future seems like they have had hard times in the past. At this stage of his career it's about the money , otherwise he would have signed a deal most on here would think very generous. He is at the peak of his earning capacity more than likely won't see those sort of dollars again , time to cash in . Loyalty is only for the fans these days. How iconic was bJ when he thumped the chest the badge and the heart it signified the new StKilda, tough, passionate and uncompromising thats how i will remember him , It will be hard to see him play for someone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Bloody saints ... We are going to lose goddard brendon goddard because of our once again incompetence.

Goddard wanted to sign a very fair contract ... We say no we will be stubborn and lose this elite player over a year??? A year??

We are idiots

Lyon goddard dawson ... Tell me wouldnt have played 2012 finals and tell me 2013 wouldnt be so out of reach ...

Unbelievable.

How do you know about the contract offers for BJ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:If Cloke signs, I also kind of like how most of the 'big' players are staying with their respective clubs that were rumoured to look at a move...

And although some claim they are "strong" rumours the reality is that they refer to more than one new home. And the fact there are several clubs mentioned to me makes the rumours rather weak.

If he was planning to stay, you would think that he might have signed before the free agency window opens.

Saints43
Club Player

SMS wrote:But our stupidity continues as we lose goddard in a few days.
The salary cap makes it a 'bang for buck' competition.

The 2009 grand final should have taught us that. I said after that match - even at the risk of insulting our best players - that we should have enforced contract re-negotiations.

Over paying star players keeps us reliant on star players. And that has been our downfall for a long time imo.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dragit wrote:If he was planning to stay, you would think that he might have signed before the free agency window opens.
Why? He has a profesional manager that will be advising him and running contract negotiations for him, who knows that the FA window is the mechanism whereby his client will maximise his earnings. Why would he sign before that and reduce his earning capacity? Would you take a raise from your boss that you knew was smaller than he was prepared to give you, just because?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
maverick wrote:Given Ball received $600K for virtually nothing back in the mid naughties, why is $650K unreasonable?
It was a back-ended contract. He didn't receive $660K every year.

Luke Ball's mid naughties where he did 'virtually nothing'
2nd B&F in 2004.
1st B&F in 2005.
Captain 2006.

And on to 2009 where he was best afield in a GF but 'couldn't spread' so the '600K' contract was widely publicised (lesser payments in previous years ignored) so that some dumb **** could say that he did 'virtually nothing' for St Kilda.

One of our bravest ever players.

FFS

Well said.

St.Roly
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SMS wrote:Bloody saints ... We are going to lose goddard brendon goddard because of our once again incompetence.

We are idiots

Unbelievable.

How do you know about the contract offers for BJ?
I agree - on what basis do you assert this as fact?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

KB and Denham are fielding calls from SEN listeners this morning after saying St Kilda hasn't shown enough that it wants to keep Goddard.

IMO we've made him a very fair offer. Not as much as Essendon and Fremantle are willing to offer, but a lot of money nevertheless.

I've heard that paying him as much as they are offering would make him the club's highest-paid player, earning more than even Riewoldt. That is a big ask for a financially-strapped club.

I wish someone from the club would make these points on SEN.

I've no doubt we want him to stay. I think BJ needs to decide whether he wants to be an extremely rich man or just a very rich man who has shown loyalty to a club that has been good to him.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 27 Sep 2012 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:BJ probably wants to set up his family for the future seems like they have had hard times in the past. At this stage of his career it's about the money , otherwise he would have signed a deal most on here would think very generous. He is at the peak of his earning capacity more than likely won't see those sort of dollars again , time to cash in . Loyalty is only for the fans these days. How iconic was bJ when he thumped the chest the badge and the heart it signified the new StKilda, tough, passionate and uncompromising thats how i will remember him , It will be hard to see him play for someone else.
Maybe I'm niave, but I thought BJ was a pretty loyal character, had every intention of staying...

Something's ruffled him IMO.

As I've said before, he wouldn't talk all year about his desire to be a one club player, take a letter and coin donation from a young fan on TFS to show everyone, be really upbeat and frequent in his communication...

If he was going, it would just be a massively foolish move on his behalf.

I don't for a minute think he thought the Saints would have the best deal for him.

I believe he thought, or was led to believe, that he would be rewarded enough to settle him here for the remainder of his career.

It's gone off the rails, and I want to know why.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:KB and Denham are fielding calls from SEN listeners this morning after saying St Kilda hasn't shown enough that it wants to keep Goddard.

IMO we've made him a very fair offer. Not as much as Essendon and Fremantle are willing to offer, but a lot of money nevertheless.

I've heard that paying him as much as they are offering would make him the club's highest-paid player, earning more than even Riewoldt. That is a big ask for a financially-strapped club.

I've no doubt we want him to stay. I think BJ needs to decide whether he wants to be an extremely rich man or just a very rich man who has shown loyalty to a club that has been good to him.
For what it's worth Carl, I agree.

St Kilda only made noise in recent weeks after it put the contract on the table, didn't hear much prior to that, and it's been stuff that would annoy me personally if I was BJ....almost putting the guilts on him that he hasn't signed when the offer was only officially put to him recently in terms of the season itself.

They appear to be playing hardball with someone who doesn't deserve it IMO.

Loyalty works both ways as well, I think the 4th year would absolutely get it done, and sincerely hope the club is looking to satisfy him...even if it's with performance clauses etc for the additional year.

Saints43
Club Player

SainterK wrote:It's gone off the rails, and I want to know why.
I haven't been keeping up with the BJ contract saga... I was taking the 'what will be will be' approach.

Why do you think it has gone off the rails? In FA, doesn't BJ and his management go to the market, come back to St Kilda with outside offers and then Saints give him their best (final) offer? Isn't that what's happening?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:KB and Denham are fielding calls from SEN listeners this morning after saying St Kilda hasn't shown enough that it wants to keep Goddard.

For what it's worth Carl, I agree.

St Kilda only made noise in recent weeks after it put the contract on the table, didn't hear much prior to that, and it's been stuff that would annoy me personally if I was BJ....almost putting the guilts on him that he hasn't signed when the offer was only officially put to him recently in terms of the season itself.

They appear to be playing hardball with someone who doesn't deserve it IMO.

Loyalty works both ways as well, I think the 4th year would absolutely get it done, and sincerely hope the club is looking to satisfy him...even if it's with performance clauses etc for the additional year.
While I can understand your anguish K, I really don't think we know:

* What exactly has been offerred and when
* On what basis the offer was made
* What the club has told BJ about how they value him
* How BJ feels about the club right now
* What BJ intends to do

I could go on and on.

It's all been media speculation and rumours as far as I can see. The only certainty is that he hasn't re-signed at this stage.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not going anywhere

today

Richter
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:not going anywhere

today
Will be next month though....

Texas.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Travis Cloke has just re-signed with Collingwood...

Now we should see some action on the Goddard front.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Now wait for Travis to say

" I was never going anywhere...."

Righto

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

There's nothing to indicate BJ's staying. They're just rumours also

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Really there's nothing to indicate BJ's going anywhere. Just rumours.

Absolutely correct. No argument here.

It's just a great big universe of nothingness.

busso mick
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Really there's nothing to indicate BJ's going anywhere. Just rumours.

Absolutely correct. No argument here.

It's just a great big universe of nothingness.
Maybe not!

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

From bigfooty today...

BrianSpeaking said: ↑
This is a call to arms for all real Saints who want him to stay. These are facts as if 2 mins ago, he has been offered $475K per year by the Saints for 3 years, that is a $17,000 pay rise FFS.
If you are a member get these facts out in the marketplace, the reported $1.9 million dollar offer is bulls***.
Rooey also went to the Saints with a proposed 2 year contract extension, they laughed at him and said no one over 30 gets more than one year at a time.
I pay these Saints management peoples wages, as do you as fellow members, lets do something about it before its too late.
BJ was dirty when Bally left, but now know how he felt, not good!!!!!
He will take 4 years at 600 K, the club are screwing him.
What an unprofessional bunch of morons, no wonder Ross left.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:From bigfooty today...

BrianSpeaking said: ↑
This is a call to arms for all real Saints who want him to stay. These are facts as if 2 mins ago, he has been offered $475K per year by the Saints for 3 years, that is a $17,000 pay rise FFS.
If you are a member get these facts out in the marketplace, the reported $1.9 million dollar offer is bulls***.
Rooey also went to the Saints with a proposed 2 year contract extension, they laughed at him and said no one over 30 gets more than one year at a time.
I pay these Saints management peoples wages, as do you as fellow members, lets do something about it before its too late.
BJ was dirty when Bally left, but now know how he felt, not good!!!!!
He will take 4 years at 600 K, the club are screwing him.
What an unprofessional bunch of morons, no wonder Ross left.
I hope there's no truth to that.