National Draft Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: National Draft Discussion

This doesn't factor in compo picks for free agency so the order could change a fair bit

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:This doesn't factor in compo picks for free agency so the order could change a fair bit
yes, we may add pick 13 to that lot, making it..

12-13-34-53-71-89

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:This doesn't factor in compo picks for free agency so the order could change a fair bit
Correct however I only see the first round change if Goddard or Cloke move from their current clubs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We had no better last year and made some magic happen.

SuperDuper
Club Player

If Stringer is available, he looks too good an opportunity to pass up.... people like Selwwod and judd were considered no. 1 until injuries, and in hindsight they should have been no. 1 despite injuries
Stringer seems likely the same type... getting a pavlich type is simply invaluable and too good an opportunity to let slide

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling Stringer will be the Jack Darling of this draft. He'll slide cos of injuries and a poor 2012 compared to his 2011 form and the clubs that overlook him will be kicking themselves. He looks like a real match winner with star qualities.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:If Stringer is available, he looks too good an opportunity to pass up.... people like Selwwod and judd were considered no. 1 until injuries, and in hindsight they should have been no. 1 despite injuries
Stringer seems likely the same type... getting a pavlich type is simply invaluable and too good an opportunity to let slide

He came back for Bendigo seniors and was close to BOG that's an ok return to form. Viney was considered a potential number 1 pick at one point. I think he kicked 6 or 8 goals on return. Might be an ok player. Menzel is probably more likely to drop down as serious knees are less appealing than breaks.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we should draft for long term success (2015 and beyond)but trade for mid level players to keep us reasonably competitive till then.
Don.t think there's much we can do for 2013/14 given all our structural deficiencies.

noob
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
yes, we may add pick 13 to that lot, making it..

12-13-34-53-71-89
I'd tempt to trade pick 53 & 71 for a pick in the 30s.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon all this talk about Stringer sliding will result in him going top 5!

We're more likely to have a number of outstanding mids to choose from than have one of the few big kids slide.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I reckon all this talk about Stringer sliding will result in him going top 5!

We're more likely to have a number of outstanding mids to choose from than have one of the few big kids slide.

Lauchie whitfield is always going at one and Dees will get Viney at 3 or risk someone else getting him at 4 or 5 there is 2 gone from the top 5 then any of the rest could fall a number of different ways. Just for example I grabbed a fantasy draft from Big Footy and they have Jaksche out to 18 and Stringer at 12. Mc Rae is out to 13. It's going to be easy to get quality in this one. I almost hope we get the Goddard compo at 13 now- imagine grabbing Jakshe a big full back at 12 and Stringer a marking forward at 13. Grab Rodda (Johnathan Brown sized backman) with our second rounder and we have a killer spine for the next 10 years.

1. GWS - Lachie Whitfield
2. Gold Coast - Sam Mayes
3. Melbourne - Jack Viney
4. Melbourne - Brodie Grundy
5. Bulldogs - Oliver Wines
6. Bulldogs - Jonathon O'Rourke
7. Port Adelaide - Jimmy Toumpas
8. Brisbane - Dayle Garlett
9. Richmond - Ben Kennedy
10. Carlton - Lachie Plowman
11. St Kilda - Mason Shaw
12. Fremantle - Jake Stringer
13. Melbourne - Jackson Macrae
14. North Melbourne - Troy Menzel
15. Geelong - Nick Vlastuin
16. Essendon - Joe Daniher
17. West Coast - Tanner Smith
18. Collingwood - Kristian Jaksch
19. Hawthorn - Taylor Garner
20. Adelaide - Jed Anderson
21. GWS - Josh Simpson
22. Sydney - Sam Colquhoun
23. Brisbane - Nick Rodda

Round 2

24. GWS - Matthew Haynes
25. Gold Coast - Tim O'Brien
26. Melbourne - Tom Temay
27. Bulldogs - Laine Wilkins
28. Port Adelaide - Jason Pongracic
29. Richmond - Rory Atkins
30. Brisbane - Marco Paparone
31. Richmond - Sam Lowrie
32. Carlton - Andrew Boston
33. St Kilda - Alex Howson

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Pretty ordinary draft picks aren't they...

12-34-53-71-89
If BJ goes and we get 13 it doesn't look too bad

last year we had picks 20,35,37,42 and 60

and managed to get Ross, Saad, Milera, Newnes, Markworth, Webster and Wilkes

all bar 2 have made their debuts, and I would expect Markworth to get a game next year

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Pretty ordinary draft picks aren't they...

12-34-53-71-89
If BJ goes and we get 13 it doesn't look too bad

last year we had picks 20,35,37,42 and 60

and managed to get Ross, Saad, Milera, Newnes, Markworth, Webster and Wilkes

all bar 2 have made their debuts, and I would expect Markworth to get a game next year

I thought jimmy webster was there last year as well.

Superstar
Club Player

gringo wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:If Stringer is available, he looks too good an opportunity to pass up.... people like Selwwod and judd were considered no. 1 until injuries, and in hindsight they should have been no. 1 despite injuries

He came back for Bendigo seniors and was close to BOG that's an ok return to form. Viney was considered a potential number 1 pick at one point. I think he kicked 6 or 8 goals on return. Might be an ok player. Menzel is probably more likely to drop down as serious knees are less appealing than breaks.
Menzels really interesting, talent to go top 5, but two bad knees!! Huge risk. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Last edited by Superstar on Thu 27 Sep 2012 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superstar
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think they will bid to ensure Melbourne use pick 3.
Surely Melbourne would just take Grundy and Toumpas under that scenario and just laugh at Gold Coast. Viney isn't worth pick 2 so I imagine Melbourne will get him second round. No way in hell GWS risk bidding on anyone.

Gold Coast might be in a position, with so much young talent, to select on more of a needs basis's. There is talk that GC rate Viney highly and would be comfortable taking him with pick 2. how much of that is gamesmanship who knows?

Also, bit of pressure on the Dee's too, talented young player they have basically committed to, Dad a former player and current recruiter. Image the Dee's fans if they pass and Viney comes out as a mature bodied midfielder and wins the rising star!

Will be interesting.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Would Melbourne be able to trade for pick 2 to prevent GC bidding on Viney? In that case they could trade picks 4 and 14 and wind up with picks 2, 3 and Viney. It may seem like a lot to give up for two places, but its actually better for Melbourne to give up 14 than their second round pick thanks to the way the bidding system works.

Seems win win to me, so it won't happen.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If they don't pick him at 3 does he go back on the market with pick 4? Don't they have to stave off all first rounders?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:If they don't pick him at 3 does he go back on the market with pick 4? Don't they have to stave off all first rounders?
The only clubs that can make Melbourne use pick 3 on Viney are GWS and GC cos they have earlier first round picks....just remember compo picks (4 and 13 in Melbourne's case) don't count as F/S selections. For example if the Dogs bidded for Viney with their first pick (5) then Melbourne could still select Viney with the second round selection (26). GWS will almost certainly not bid on Viney cos Whitfield is clear no.1. GC are a good chance though.....Viney is cleary top 5 this draft and worthy of pick 2....IMO.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Why does Melbourne have compensation picks 4 and 13 for scully yet we are only getting 13 for bj if he goes?

I love this club
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Why does Melbourne have compensation picks 4 and 13 for scully yet we are only getting 13 for bj if he goes?
Those compensation picks were as a result of Melbourne losing an 'uncontracted player' to GWS whereas free agency compensation is different. If BJ were to go to GWS as an uncontracted player then we could potentially get similar compensation to what Melbourne got for their loss of Scully.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Why does Melbourne have compensation picks 4 and 13 for scully yet we are only getting 13 for bj if he goes?
Those compensation picks were as a result of Melbourne losing an 'uncontracted player' to GWS whereas free agency compensation is different. If BJ were to go to GWS as an uncontracted player then we could potentially get similar compensation to what Melbourne got for their loss of Scully.
ok thanks Old Mate

Looks like Melbourne should get a few guns with the picks that they have

I love this club
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

ok thanks Old Mate

The difference between should and will is very big

In the last 3 years Melbourne have had picks 1, 2,11, 12, 13 and 18

The only A grade talent they have got IMO is Trengove and Mitch Clarke via a trade

You would hope for their sake, that they draft well this year

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Sick Nal Danto wrote:

ok thanks Old Mate

The difference between should and will is very big

In the last 3 years Melbourne have had picks 1, 2,11, 12, 13 and 18

The only A grade talent they have got IMO is Trengove and Mitch Clarke via a trade

You would hope for their sake, that they draft well this year
Agree, but I do think that has a lot to do with a really shyte club, poorly coached and managed. I think if they had a decent coach and strong leadership on and off the field things might have been different. It will be interesting to see what Neeld can do with the top draft picks already at the club and the ones they will get this year. It's amazing how poor they have been.

I love this club
Bardon Saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:

Stringer looks very exciting. If he has a good pre-season he has the body to make an immediate impact.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I would expect GC to bid for Viney as with Caddy going an inside-mid is their biggest need and Viney is the most highly credentialed in the draft.
If Stringer lasts to our pick I would be absolutely amazed and would love for us to grab him. In my opinion he is the sort of player you can build a team around.
That is just an opinion but I am no recruiter so I will trust them to do what they think is in our best interests.