Jamie Cripps & Kobby Stevens swap club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jamie Cripps & Kobby Stevens swap club

Stevens played 15 games for East Fremantle in 2012 and averaged 20 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles and 1 goal per game

He had a game high 38 disposals vs Perth in Round 8

Played in the WAFL GF for the Sharks against Claremont (Claremont won by 26pts)

Excerpt from wafootball.com.au - Re: Koby Stevens game in the GF against Claremont (played last week)

Started on the ball and spent most of the day in the midfield and as usual, didn’t shirk the issue and had no trouble putting his body on the line to try and win the hard ball. Finished with 15 possessions, five marks, seven tackles and a terrific goal in the second quarter.

On the other hand -

Cripps played 7 games for Sandringham in 2012 and averaged 15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal per game

He had a game high 23 disposals vs Frankston

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have no idea - but o the surface it appears we have lost here.
the guy is a year older. played less games. kicked less goals and generally not as good as cripps.
You begin by saying you have no idea and then say he is not as good as Cripps

Which one is it??

I suspect the first bit

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Would be a great pick up.Same shape and style as Josh Kennedy. Takes a good overhead grab also.

Except for the 13 KG differnce in weight. Know idea about this guy but I know what we are losing and that is speed and goal kicking. 2 things we cant lose.
and 6 possessions

Another opportunity awaits!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have no idea - but o the surface it appears we have lost here.
the guy is a year older. played less games. kicked less goals and generally not as good as cripps.
In you humble opinion!

I have a West Coast mate who reckons he's going to be good. Only reason why he can't crack it in their midfield is because it's so good. Was groomed to take over from Kerr. Cripps certainly didn't set the world on fire at St.Kilda. Too much of an outside reciever for my liking.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dissapointed that Cripps is gone and if we get Stevens I need to look on the optimistic side.

Lenny is just about gone. Probably one more season. Joey and Dal are getting older and will not get any better. We need to look at our next lot od in and unders.

Armo is coming on, jack Steven continues to improve, and we have youngsters like Ross, and Ledger coming through. Steven sounds like a tough in and under, and from reports doesn't shirk the hard ball get. One critisism (which I always thought harsh) was that Cripps wasn't hard at it.

So we look to the future for opur in and under ball winners. We may need to look for some outside recievers with a bit of toe.

If Caddy has gone to North and we have got a similiar player in Stevens, and if we lose bj, we will have picks #12 and probably #13. these can be used for speedy outside type mids if necessary.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Really think we lose out if it's just a straight swap.

Would love to see Stevens + 2nd rounder (Currently 38) for Cripps + 3rd rounder (Currently 53)

Stevens certainly has ability, but I just feel that Cripps is far more likely to succeed.

Saints43
Club Player

Outside of WCE & Freo no club would know more about WA players than our staff. I'm comfortable with any decision they make. Especially considering Cripps has limited our options a bit.

Why can't he be homesick and willing to play for Freo?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Dissapointed that Cripps is gone and if we get Stevens I need to look on the optimistic side.

Lenny is just about gone. Probably one more season. Joey and Dal are getting older and will not get any better. We need to look at our next lot od in and unders.

Armo is coming on, jack Steven continues to improve, and we have youngsters like Ross, and Ledger coming through. Steven sounds like a tough in and under, and from reports doesn't shirk the hard ball get. One critisism (which I always thought harsh) was that Cripps wasn't hard at it.

So we look to the future for opur in and under ball winners. We may need to look for some outside recievers with a bit of toe.

If Caddy has gone to North and we have got a similiar player in Stevens, and if we lose bj, we will have picks #12 and probably #13. these can be used for speedy outside type mids if necessary.
It really is not the end of the world with Cripps going as I have no idea what he did on the field most of the time.

That being said, your average half back with average skills is one of the easiest players to replace on the field. I am happy with the idea of Koby Stevens coming in as a hard inside player. He probably will not play that many games in 2013 however he will be given a few solid patches to see what he can do. Like the other kids, if he plays well he stays, if not, back to Sandy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Stevens and Steven in the same midfield. If only Jack Dyer was still around to commentate.

Shame Cripps is going. I think he's going to be a good player and hope we haven't been presented a spud in return

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Guess I'll just have to have faith in the Pelican.

I thought that Jamie Cripps looked bigger, stronger and hence more confident towards the end of this season. He can certainly kick a goal, and continues to do so. I had high hopes that he would be a very good player.

Koby Stevens... I gave up half way through that supposed highlights reel. How is it a highlights reel just coz it shows when a bloke appears infront of the camera...? Please don't tell me those where his highlights...!

Then there's the pre-draft assessment... aren't these usually written to get the reader salivating? On reading Koby's... I'd be getting out the big thick black pen and inking him out.

Finally... tough strong inside mid??? He's 7cm taller than me, I'm slim build, never been fat... yet I am 2-3kgs heavier! I don't fancy my chances of busting too many AFL packs, but I reckon I could push Koby aside (though I'd have to catch him first... :wink: )

Stijk's (sp?) highlights looked much better to me.

Hope I'm wrong... :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The positive thing is that WC are disappointed and its not like Stevens has been shown the door, he has walked. It doesnt mean he will be a success but it means we arent getting a recycled reject which is important to me.

Also, just because we have media reports of Caddy touring Norths premises it doesnt mean there isnt a lot of water to go under the bridge. With Bastinac, Swallow, Cunnington and one or two more that escape me I would still think we are a better fit for him, even with Stevens. One would think he will tour most clubs facilities who are interested just to get a feel for the club, just a thought.

Our pick is still better than Norths so I dare say if we want him we still have a chance, for all we know we could have already given him a tour we just didnt include the Herald Sun in the invitation.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Best we traded him before it was worked out!!

Bardon Saint
Club Player

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Don't see the same good stuff for Cripps.
I see an injury prone player who can't take hard hits because of his body size not courage.
Reckon he will end up a Clarke.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Do we have to sign someone with the name Koby? FFS.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Outside of WCE & Freo no club would know more about WA players than our staff. I'm comfortable with any decision they make. Especially considering Cripps has limited our options a bit.

Why can't he be homesick and willing to play for Freo?
because he was a WCE supporter

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kaos theory
Club Player

The issue with cripps is that most here are looking at his last game, which was ok. Pior to that, he did very little to show any great qualities. Came on as sub and pinched a few goals here & there on the end of handballs sitting in the forward line when we were going well.

Time will tell, but I don't think anyone can say we have lost much in comparison to Stevens at this stage.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:The issue with cripps is that most here are looking at his last game, which was ok. Pior to that, he did very little to show any great qualities. Came on as sub and pinched a few goals here & there on the end of handballs sitting in the forward line when we were going well.

Time will tell, but I don't think anyone can say we have lost much in comparison to Stevens at this stage.

He has only been on the list a short time if you looked at Goddard at the same point in his career he would look disappointing. He will be a player if he can break into the line up at the WCE.

mohannair
Club Player

maverick wrote:Don't see the same good stuff for Cripps.
I see an injury prone player who can't take hard hits because of his body size not courage.
Also he is diabetic & that hampers his preparation. Club was not aware of this till he was drafted.

cross2012
Club Player

Big preseason wraps on Koby from WA and was expected to play plenty of games. Justed needed some luck and a few key injuries at WCE to get a chance. i think he will be a great pick up.
Dont like losing Cripps though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mohannair wrote:
maverick wrote:Don't see the same good stuff for Cripps.
Also he is diabetic & that hampers his preparation. Club was not aware of this till he was drafted.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. He would need to watch his diet and lifestyle to keep his diabetes under control but shouldn't have any really serious issues.

kaos theory
Club Player

gringo wrote:
kaos theory wrote:The issue with cripps is that most here are looking at his last game, which was ok. Pior to that, he did very little to show any great qualities. Came on as sub and pinched a few goals here & there on the end of handballs sitting in the forward line when we were going well.

He has only been on the list a short time if you looked at Goddard at the same point in his career he would look disappointing. He will be a player if he can break into the line up at the WCE.
I could say the same in defence of stevens. that's my point, there is nothing shows we are worse off in this trade.

sainter45
Club Player

If Cripps is unsettled and wants to go back to Perth, then we would have to be better off getting in someone who would be settled living in Melbourne.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
gringo wrote:
I could say the same in defence of stevens. that's my point, there is nothing shows we are worse off in this trade.

Hey he looks talented and might be a great pick up, I'm just saying that just because Cripps hasn't shown himself as the new Dal Santo that he's a spud. I think he showed plenty for the stage of his career.

kobe looks like a player but with cripps I've had time to know what we've got and rate him. A bit like trading your Rolex for a lucky dip. The more I read about Kobe the less stressed by it I am. Wish he was quick though.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Considering Sharrod Wellingham has already talked to West Coast

This could possibly be a bad career decision by Cripps

If wellingham moved there also, Cripps would have to get past Shuey, Gaff, Selwood and Wellingham for the rest of his time at west coast