Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

70s sainter
Club Player

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

What is the condition of his knee. Could that be a factor re the forth year. Can't remember him jumping on anyone's shoulders for two years now . Maybe the club took this into consideration as they know his body . Ess wouldn't have a clue as to the true condition of it. Hopefully this backfires on them big time. We still owe them for Lovett who was recommended by hird.

Sainterman
Club Player

Just got an email from the club. He is gone! See below:

As a valued member of St Kilda Football Club we wanted to advise you first of the outcome relating to Brendan Goddard.

We can confirm that Brendon has accepted an offer from Essendon Football Club as a restricted free agent and will be departing the Saints.
Despite a significant three year offer made by the Saints, which appropriately respected the Club's player payment model, he has elected to leave the Club.

We made a significant offer to Brendon that was relative to both his position and most importantly, other players within the team. While we are disappointed at his decision to leave the Saints, we are absolutely committed to our 'team first' philosophy in relation to player contracts.

St Kilda Football Club thanks Brendon Goddard for his service to the Saints, which was recently acknowledged with life membership at the Trevor Barker Medal function. While we were keen to retain Brendon's services, the Club respects his right to exercise his options under new free agency rules.

We look forward to your ongoing support and loyalty to the St Kilda Football Club for 2013 celebrating our 140 years of history.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:What is the condition of his knee. Could that be a factor re the forth year. Can't remember him jumping on anyone's shoulders for two years now . Maybe the club took this into consideration as they know his body . Ess wouldn't have a clue as to the true condition of it. Hopefully this backfires on them big time. We still owe them for Lovett who was recommended by hird.

We owe them nothing for Lovett. That was our doing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:What is the condition of his knee. Could that be a factor re the forth year. Can't remember him jumping on anyone's shoulders for two years now . Maybe the club took this into consideration as they know his body . Ess wouldn't have a clue as to the true condition of it. Hopefully this backfires on them big time. We still owe them for Lovett who was recommended by hird.
Hip, it's his hip. It's not been hidden, he was on crutches for 8 weeks the start of the season.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

We owe them nothing for Lovett. That was our doing.
Agree, and we dont owe them for Goddard, we are better off just getting on with things, and if we have the chance to raid another club for a appropriate player then we should, but this is over now

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Hip, it's his hip. It's not been hidden, he was on crutches for 8 weeks the start of the season.

And he started the season in good form.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Now I can officially slot him into the Team of Lost Souls ... its a crowded list and hard to get a game.
And Pelchen is about as excited as if he just dug his hand into a bag of soggy donuts!
When people say things like: plenty of upside - they really mean - yeah we know we are f***ed for most of the forseeable future.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Many opinions here and no one is right and no one is wrong.

Am I happy that Goddard’s gone? No. I really liked the bloke and it’s always sad when a long time player leaves.

However I am comfortable with how the club has acted and how this has played out in this new era of Free Agency.

I believe we offered him good money and that he left for silly money. Just my opinion. However the money being bandied about in regards to the offer made by the Bombers is not money I would want to give to BJ. It would greatly inhibit our ability to retain talent and to recruit talent necessary to take our club forward over the next four years.

$750,000 - $800,000 pa is the sort of money you offer to only 1 category of player. And it doesn’t matter what type of player they are or what position you play. You offer it to a player who can win you games off their own boot. It may be a Jonathon Brown or it may be a Gary Ablett.

Goddard’s form over the last 2 years has been the subject of much conjecture. It’s neither been as good as some say or as bad as others have made out. However at best it’s been good/pretty good. But I certainly can’t recall leaving the ground over the last 2 years and hearing fellow supporters say things like “Thank God we had BJ out there today” or “Goddard was the difference”. Yes he got into the best players on numerous occasions but I don’t believe he ever got us over the line through a brilliant 4 quarter effort. Some players do, and they’re the ones who get the really big bucks.

If Goddard’s gone to Tullamarine for the money then good luck to him.

Maybe this is what the club and the supporters really need (even if some of those in the latter group don’t realise it yet). Maybe this is the moment where we finally say this is the end of that 2009-2011 era and we can finally move on.

Go Saints 2013!!!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Am I happy that Goddard’s gone? No. I really liked the bloke and it’s always sad when a long time player leaves.

However I am comfortable with how the club has acted and how this has played out in this new era of Free Agency.
Agreed, good post.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree - we have done the right thing in the current circumstances.
Doesnt stop me from being fuming that we are paying Gram and Kosi big bucks for 4 looong farking years.
Infuriating.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Am I happy that Goddard’s gone? No. I really liked the bloke and it’s always sad when a long time player leaves.

Agreed, good post.
This.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Agreed, good post.
This.
Agree Doc

I love this club
70s sainter
Club Player

I think you ve summed it up pretty well dr spaceman.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree - we have done the right thing in the current circumstances.
Doesnt stop me from being fuming that we are paying Gram and Kosi big bucks for 4 looong farking years.
Infuriating.
Agree
Hopefully this is pelchen's influence , not paying players more than there worth !
Going on his form for the last two years , BJ worth half what essendon will pay him .
kosi and gram's deals done pre-pelchen , so hopefully at the end of next year we'll have plenty of salary cap room .

In red white and black from 73
sainter#4
Club Player

Brendon Goddard, You Bought me the joy of watching you in full flight >>

But since the siren sounded the week after, ive never seen that type of performance from you again. I wish you all the best at essendon ...Except when it is against the saints.

But fact of the matter is, You told us the supporters you loved our club you wanted to be a one club player?? Well let me make something known, Hayes,Harvey,Loewe,Roo,Dal and Milney Have all ether stayed for considerably less and in milneys case He has i think spent the best part of 5 years on 1 year deals.They didn't hold the club to ransom, they didn't seek out offers from other clubs.

Infact Loewe had a Mega deal offered to him in the 90's by i think(correct me if im wrong) Freo, Roo was offered a deal bigger then scully and abletts to be gold coasts marquee player, they stayed for considerably less.

You would have still be the highest paid player at the club and in my mind would of signed a new deal in 24 months time anyway.But enough of you now, goodbye and good riddance..You'll never be a stkilda great.

As for the club,Im very proud of the way they handled this.They will not suffer as one player does not make the team.They will grow and prosper and will get to this elusive flag before goddard gets one.I have today re-signed as a member after receiving my renewal a few days go,I unlike brendon will be in it for the long haul and support us week in week out.

Lastly for those supporters frustrated or disappointed at the club for not resigning him, then i think you guys need to wake up alittle bit. if rumours are to be believed 800k is too much to be playing goddard,Espicially considering sydney,hawthorn and the benchmark GEELONG have all successfully kept there players together under this type of pay structure.

Goddard let us but ultimately the club down today, Stkilda didn't let him down.

Buckets
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:

Agreed, good post.

+1

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
oh when the
Club Player

Can someone explain what we get for him, how is it worked out?

linmarnic
Club Player

Well said sainter#4. Fully agree with you.

Never give up
mohannair
Club Player

oh when the wrote:Can someone explain what we get for him, how is it worked out?
Looks like pick # 13 in the national draft.

How it works is,

All the players are classifed into different bands between 1 & 5. Band # 1 is for the top rated players & Band 5 is the bottom end of the spec.
BJ will fall into Band 1.

Based on the Band class the club will get a pick next to the current pick in the round belonging to the class of the player. Which means we will get a pick # 13 (since we have pick 12).

Hope this helps (though it is bit confusing)

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

we also get a end of round 2 pick i think?

StGoddard18
Club Player

I need some help, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Is it at all possible for me to be able to change my username?

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
loris
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:I need some help, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Is it at all possible for me to be able to change my username?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P :P :P

jays
Club Player

gone for the big bucks glad to see him go if he has that attitude imo

StGoddard18
Club Player

loris wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:I need some help, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Is it at all possible for me to be able to change my username?

Haha I'll take that as a no. Hmmm well I can change my display pic to go along with the name :P

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

StGoddard18 wrote:
loris wrote:

Haha I'll take that as a no. Hmmm well I can change my display pic to go along with the name :P

I will do it for you when you become a free agent :D

I love this club