Captain 2013

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Captain 2013

Legendary wrote: Ben McEvoy is incredibly highly rated around the club for his leadership skills (source: current assistant coach) and a lot of the playing group think he is a future captain.

Your captain doesn't have to be a gun player - look at Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell, or Richie Vandenberg back in the day.

Leadership has nothing to do with footballing ability.

Although I happen to think McEvoy is a great young ruckman and will only keep improving.
Great post. I didn't Think Big Ben deserved it just yet - but reading your argument and having Roo as his mentor for the next 2 years makes me think it might be the right time next year to elevate him to captain.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
lefty
Club Player

Roo should be....

Otherwise Fisher

Thats it.

Goddard was never really a captain in my eyes, he gets too angry on the field etc, good player, but I don't think leader... just my opinion.

aaron82
Club Player

I'm of the belief that McEvoy is a terrific leader and could very well be a future captain of the club.
But as many have mentioned earlier his tap work particularly in the middle needs a lot of improvement.
Only have to look at how many opposition ruckman polled votes against us in particular the maximum in the brownlow.

and that's the bottom line
kalsaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Lenny is the only one I would take it off Roo for, but he has had his turn. Did well as our Captain too. Of the rest Armitage is the one who I see to have the character to be a good captain, but he is a few years away yet.
Lenny is the right choice until he retires. He is all over the ground and has the same selfless acts as Roo.

His turn again until others can semionstrate why they are challengers. Lets look at the Leadership list at the end of 2013 before any possible change.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency