Pick 13 Are we certain to get it?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 13 Are we certain to get it?

vacuous space wrote:It's also going to depend on whether other teams in front of us in the draft are eligible for compensation. If the formula grants Melbourne a pick for losing Maloney or Port for Chaplin, then both our picks will get pushed back.

I can't imagine BJ will get less than band 1unless they're reserving it for teams that lose multiple players.
If the stories are correct regarding what Essendon have offered then surely that dictates what we get.

How can it possibly be less than band 1 if a club's offering to pay a guy something like $750,000 - $800,000 pa for 4 years?

philip
Club Player

Can someone explain to me why the best we can do is pick #13? Surely a no.1. draft pick who has consistently performed at the top and been in the top performers of his team is worthy of a top 10 pick, possibly even pick # 5.

I read the AFLPA info and it says the pick no is up to the discretion of the AFL. So can someone please set me straight on how the compensation pick is worked?

Thanks
philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
SaintTom
Club Player

philip wrote:Can someone explain to me why the best we can do is pick #13? Surely a no.1. draft pick who has consistently performed at the top and been in the top performers of his team is worthy of a top 10 pick, possibly even pick # 5.

I read the AFLPA info and it says the pick no is up to the discretion of the AFL. So can someone please set me straight on how the compensation pick is worked?

Thanks
philip
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the AFL doesn't allocate a pick for us per se. They put him in a bracket of compensation (I'm making up the terminology: as bracket one, bracket two, bracket three etc), where he would likely be put in bracket one. If that is the case, we get a first road draft pick directly after the first pick we already have (which is pick 12). So, if we were to have pick 4 due to our ladder position, and Goddard fell into 'bracket one' of compensation, we would get pick 5.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SaintTom wrote:
philip wrote:Can someone explain to me why the best we can do is pick #13? Surely a no.1. draft pick who has consistently performed at the top and been in the top performers of his team is worthy of a top 10 pick, possibly even pick # 5.

Thanks
philip
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the AFL doesn't allocate a pick for us per se. They put him in a bracket of compensation (I'm making up the terminology: as bracket one, bracket two, bracket three etc), where he would likely be put in bracket one. If that is the case, we get a first road draft pick directly after the first pick we already have (which is pick 12). So, if we were to have pick 4 due to our ladder position, and Goddard fell into 'bracket one' of compensation, we would get pick 5.
So hypothetically if we were to trade for a higher pick , let's say 6, does that mean we could get 6 and 7?

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

There are 9 clubs below us. Melbourne have 3 picks in the first round - Hun this morning says Melbourne have 3 of first 13 picks. They get pick 3 and another 2 first round picks which according to Hun are 4 and 13 for losing Scully. Bulldogs also get 2 of first 6 (5 and 6) with compensation for losing Ward. According to AFL site our fisrt pick is still pick 12 - but where the compensation for Goddard will be is stil up in the air and can't be determined until all the trades are finished. So I'm not sure we would get pick 13 for him just yet.

Saint John
Superstar
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:
SaintTom wrote:

Thanks
philip
So hypothetically if we were to trade for a higher pick , let's say 6, does that mean we could get 6 and 7?
No it will be after the official pick (pick 12).

Superstar
Club Player

SaintJohn1956 wrote:There are 9 clubs below us. Melbourne have 3 picks in the first round - Hun this morning says Melbourne have 3 of first 13 picks. They get pick 3 and another 2 first round picks which according to Hun are 4 and 13 for losing Scully. Bulldogs also get 2 of first 6 (5 and 6) with compensation for losing Ward. According to AFL site our fisrt pick is still pick 12 - but where the compensation for Goddard will be is stil up in the air and can't be determined until all the trades are finished. So I'm not sure we would get pick 13 for him just yet.

It works on net loss/gain. So in reality the only way the AFL won't allocate pick 13, is if the saints sign a free agent(s). So they can't allocate the picks to the end of the Free Agency window. Not sure how this works in regards to being able to trade this pick though?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blimey its all so friggin complicated

somewhere text me the picks we get when they know for sure