Congratulations to SW, CP and St.Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Congratulations to SW, CP and St.Kilda

Guys, could someone clear this up for me. Have looked in the papers and on SS but can't see any clear reports that STKFC has elected not to match the Bummers' offer. Is this the case?

Moolie
Club Player

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Moolie. Cheers.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If BJ couldn't lift us to a flag in 2009/2010, with our other stars in their prime, it's highly unlikely he'd be able to do so in the next 4 years or so.

Something had to give. Paying overs for Goddard to stay would have meant that we'd never be able to make a play for any talented players looking to move. We would have been locked into a team of aging stars with a few promising kids coming through.

This could be the making of our club. Or it could make no difference at all. We could even come out of it worse. I don't care. We had to do something because a failure to do so would have ensured we continued to decline.

I can fully understand some fans getting upset by BJ's departure. In fact I'd be both shocked and disappointed if that was not the case. But I really think this is for the best.

As much as I like BJ I like the Saints more. In fact I love the buggers. And I love it even more when they're successful. How successful we'll be over the next 10 years only time will tell however I'm rapt that we're getting our house in order and signaling that we're going to be a player when the trading period begins.

2013 - bring it on. :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

TJMcCarthy wrote:IMO to win a premiership you must find players who are deadly by foot. BJ is deadly by foot. Saints must fill this quality skill gap IMMEDIATELY!
We have no premiership yet with excellent footskill players like Goddard, NDS, Montagna, Milne. We need tough hard-ball winners with those skills, not outside receivers who are easily tagged out of a game. There is more to premierships than silky skills, and lot of it is toughness below and above the shoulders.

oh when the
Club Player

Its the second string of players that win grand finals

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

TJMcCarthy wrote:IMO to win a premiership you must find players who are deadly by foot. BJ is deadly by foot. Saints must fill this quality skill gap IMMEDIATELY!
This statement is very accurate, but the problem I think for most people is that they are treating the outside wold like it's our club, and it's not. BJ may have been the best of very few at Seaford with great footskills, but he's not the only footballer that's got good skills. Hawthorn's got a team full of them. I am sure one of the criteria we have in recruitment under Pelchen is good footskills.
I think that is what generates a lot of the angst for people is the fact that we diodn't fight to retain one of the few on our list that is a good kick - newsflash folks, there's plenty of kids out their that can kick well these days.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint6709
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I have very mixed emotions on this. I'm sad to see B J Goddard leaving the club, and wish him nothing but good luck and thanks for all your efforts of the last ten years. On the other hand, I heard Scotty Watters speaking on 774 this afternoon and to hear his views expressed in such a calm and measured way, gave me a lot of optimism about where we are headed as a club.
Thanks for everything Brendon, and ONYA Scott Watters!
I agree - sad to see Goddard go - even though people are saying he's done nothing the last 2 years he still polled 4th in our b&f this year - I really hope pelchen is working hard to make things work for us - I think the club is making the right noises and am confident there will be some pleasing signings

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My feeling is all of our improvement this year came from Steven, Armo, Saad etc. the only of our old boys that gave above average service was Milney. Paying big money for low output because of sentimentality doesn't win fans long term. If we continue to pay big dollars while output drops away it's madness.
Considering he was coming back from a knee reconstruction, and played the whole year with heart problems, and won our best and fairest again, also our top brownlow vote winner for the 3rd time in 4 years, I would say Lenny may have gave above average service.

South OZ Saint
Club Player

I agree as well , I was disappointed more in losing Ball to be honest.Just hope the AFL compensate decently for his departure

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Spot-on! absol-lew-ta-leee SPOT-ON!!!! BJ, I wish you nothing but good luck in your future endeavours (except of course when you meet the Saints!) but it was time to part company. A mature and professional approach to the whole process by all concerned. I don't like to make comparisons, but the one man ALL our opponents want to stop/negate is LENNY!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Jigging Saint. Lenny is streets ahead of B.J. Even though highly thought of, I think he is still under valued by the folks on here.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:
gringo wrote:My feeling is all of our improvement this year came from Steven, Armo, Saad etc. the only of our old boys that gave above average service was Milney. Paying big money for low output because of sentimentality doesn't win fans long term. If we continue to pay big dollars while output drops away it's madness.
Considering he was coming back from a knee reconstruction, and played the whole year with heart problems, and won our best and fairest again, also our top brownlow vote winner for the 3rd time in 4 years, I would say Lenny may have gave above average service.

fair point but it's unfortunately what I expect from Hayes. I would say his season wasn't above his best season -about normal for him and probably similar from Dal, Rooey and even Montagna if you were to be fair. But for me our improvement wasn't from that core of elite players. Added to the above good seasons were Simpkin, Milera, Dempster etc.

For me two of our senior core didn't performed at their average but below it- kosi and Goddard. Both had OK games but both were disappointing and looked spent or unmotivated.

i'm not saying he isn't amazing just didn't get above average service from him except in relation to the year he sat out.

Fisher, Gram, Schnieder and Big Mac all missed games so hard to rate their overall season and should come back better next year.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

one other thing....Essendon finished below us didn't they....what makes everyone think they're on the way up and not us?

Nee!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:one other thing....Essendon finished below us didn't they....what makes everyone think they're on the way up and not us?
In a sense, Essendon snaring Goddard could have been an act of desperation. With their capitulation this year, I'm sure their faithful were left with a bitter taste in their mouths. One way to remedy that is to introduce a high profile player to get membership sales back on track.

I'm not really sure Goddard will fit all that well into their team. Hird's plans for him as a midfielder seem vague :?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote: I'm not really sure Goddard will fit all that well into their team. Hird's plans for him as a midfielder seem vague :?
You could say the same about his game plan..... :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Sainternist wrote: I'm not really sure Goddard will fit all that well into their team. Hird's plans for him as a midfielder seem vague :?
You could say the same about his game plan..... :D

I thought Hird just walked around touching his hair a lot- isn't the sandwich man their real coach? I think he must have been busy trying to shag players wives. Well at least Hirdy was banging a TV celebrity's wife not his own players. I all looks very Latrobe Valley down at Tullamarine no wonder Goddard wants in.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hmmmm? Latrobe Valley reference to BJ is a wee bit of a cheap shot (IMHFO of course :x )

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:one other thing....Essendon finished below us didn't they....what makes everyone think they're on the way up and not us?
I guess it's not that hard a sell, they were 9-1 before a ridiculous amount of injuries hit.

BJ wants a go in the midfield, can't see why he wouldn't fit in there with Watson/Stanton/Heppell

Superboot
SS Life Member

SW's comment that it is all about the money is code for saying that BJ can't possibly believe that he stands a better chance of winning a Premiership at Essendon than with us. I can't argue with that.

I'm sad to see BJ go, but I don't want anyone who doesn't want to play for St Kilda playing for St Kilda. Simple as that really.
Last edited by Superboot on Thu 04 Oct 2012 9:17am, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hmmmm? Latrobe Valley reference to BJ is a wee bit of a cheap shot (IMHFO of course :x )

Hey I've got family in Traralgon and reserve my right to bag anyone from that area. Moe spreads it invisible tentacles far and yes it is a cheap shot but that's the way it's done down that way.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SainterK wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I don't get this list of players. Polo Peake and Ray were brought in years before Pelchen arrived, Clarke was a 1st rd draft pick. Polo and Peake have been delisted, Clarke and Ray remain on the list. What is the connection?
He gave them new contracts late last year
but that is still harsh on pelchin.
the players named were on Lyons required list, right up until he upped and left leaving us, and by then it was too late

Seeya
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Gringo, I've nothing whatsoever against anyone from Traralgon, Latrobe Valley, or timbuctoo (but if you want to bag your own that's your right) the "cheap shot" (IMHO) was to lump BJ in with the behaviour of the ex geelong coach and his mate.