Rumour Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Rumour Thread

Ahhhh....no, doesn't it mean we can then sign someone via free agency & still receive our original Goddard compensation?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Ahhhh....no, doesn't it mean we can then sign someone via free agency & still receive our original Goddard compensation?
Not comfortably, as no-one knows what anyone is worth until FA window closes.

FQF
SS Life Member

Stillwaiting wrote:
FQF wrote:
savatage wrote:Surely it would be as a free agent. A club would want to grab him if it meant no commitment to draft picks and that would be a great scenario for us.
Teams are compensated for the net worth of all their FA signings and losses, not each individual deal. Therefore it would be the net worth of raph and Goddard, meaning it probably wouldn't change our compensation.
So do you mean we would still get the 1 pick but it would be improved by the loss of another player?
Well from my understanding we would already be getting the top tier compensation for Goddard anyway. I'm not sure how it would work if say we lost Goddard and Lenny. Maybe we would get an earlier first round pick. But the AFL made it pretty clear that its all calculated from the Net Loss or Gain.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Is that right? How is that even fair? What if we lost 2 Goddard types - you'd get just one first round pick after your first allocated pick?

i guess that's why they don't tell you what you will get. They can say you get pick 20 for the loss of two players but we were going to give you 36 for goddard alone. they can make it up on the hope just like MRP and the tribunal.

jmac101
Club Player

If Raph goes to GWS as an uncontracted Free Agent do we then get a pick under the expansion team scheme? Im pretty sure that is still relevant this year right?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well Goddard + Clarke = more than Goddard alone at any rate, hopefully we get a 3rd rounder too.

savatage
SS Life Member

Well I guess we'll all find out soon enough. I'm sure the club will look after our interests best no matter what scenario.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I hope someone gives Raph an opportunity if we're not going to...

Been always prepared to play a role, courageous...

Will miss him, but understand perfectly that he is looking around.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Brett Anderson‏@BrettAndersonIF
Raph Clarke set to leave St Kilda via #FreeAgency. Both GWS & Carlton showing interest. Great fella who just needs a clear run at it.
Just another top 10 pick, and first round draft pick on his way out the door. We are the best in the business at it. I'm sure someone has a list.

Compo would be ? 4th round I'd assume. Would most likely not even use it.

I like Raph. He has a crack. I know not many will be sad to see him go. I am not one of them.

Raph is by far the worst player on our list and his courage is severly underrated.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I hope someone gives Raph an opportunity if we're not going to...

Spot on K. I think he should move on but I wish him well

I love this club
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Demons promised to be big players in FA and trade this year, their fans must be stoked with a midget 28YO forward - in Byrnes :shock:

savatage
SS Life Member

I can't work out that deal at all.....aiming low I guess.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

does a 2nd believe cancel out the first believe
AFL Off Season ‏@AFL_Off_Season
Raphael Clarke (@stkildafc) is believed to be testing Free Agency with Carlton & GWS believed to be interested. #AFL
I can understand GWS but Malthouse and carlton>?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
SainterK wrote:I hope someone gives Raph an opportunity if we're not going to...

+1...always stuck up for him...he's been a saints supporter all his life...a change will do him good....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:does a 2nd believe cancel out the first believe
Raphael Clarke (@stkildafc) is believed to be testing Free Agency with Carlton & GWS believed to be interested. #AFL
Might be looking for a replacement for Russell and Thornton who both played half back

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

+1...always stuck up for him...he's been a saints supporter all his life...a change will do him good....
Hope he goes to another team, but i dont think he will get better. In saying that, good bloke. I like him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saint6
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:does a 2nd believe cancel out the first believe
raph is not as bad a player as a lot on here would believe. He was originally drafted as a forward and would do well on a half forward flank. At least he actually gets the ball. Courageous player who in my opinion was punished this year for our lack of a full back. Was killed in the game against north by a far bigger opponent and not given a go since. I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

alternate theory

are the 'commentators and FA watchers' just checking lists and noted that he was still there- along with JB- who has said Saints if we need him or Retire I would imagine.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dont think you can fairly question Raph's courage.

You can however question his disposal and decision making.

I am surprised Malthouse wants him. Very surprised. That said, MM is now in the Sheedy class of coaching, with barely a single marble rolling around up top.

PS.... Raph is currently featuring in an advertising campaign for "Click" in NSW. Lots of TV ads. It is a charity raising awareness for Children dealing with epilepsy.

He is a nice guy Raph. Been our whipping boy for years.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lefty
Club Player

Raph is ok, he just gets caught holding the ball a lot which frustrates people. This year in one game I can't remember how many flips he did, was quite a few, he plays alright, but he is also injury prone, I think that's him main issue, injuries.
When you have Simpkin, Fisher, Geary, Gilbert, Gram, Blake, BJ, Dempster, Ray it made it hard for him to get a spot, however now that BJ has gone, possibly Blake, then we're not as strong, especially if Ray goes, then we'd have lost a few defenders.... so either Ray or Raph must stay, if both go, hope we don't get injuries.

I like Sipposs in the forward line and around the ground tbh.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

What is the latest on Hickey? i AM STILL KEEN ON THAT ONE~

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sen.com.au/display-insidefoo ... N8.twitter
Clarke's manager Tim Hazell confirmed that the former first round draft pick was assessing his options.

"Raph is in a position in where if he could get another opportunity at another club and get a fresh start, he would welcome that," he said.

Both GWS Giants and Carlton are two clubs who are said to have shown interest in acquiring his services, but the sagas involving Adelaide’s Kurt Tippett and Collingwood’s Chris Dawes are holding up any deal.

"Its been mainly those two that have expressed interest in him, but we are just going to see how the big boys play out and then hopefully something pops up for Raph"

"Now that Goddard's gone, that obviously opens up space maybe for Raph to stay at St Kilda, but Raph's thought is that if an opportunity presents itself (elsewhere) he'd welcome it. "

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

DAY 4 WRAP:

Another day, another player changing clubs. It's taken me four days to realize now that all the action happens in afternoon, so instead of eagerly refreshing my twitter feed every 5 minutes for news to pass onto you guys, it's that time again where I wrap up all the days Free Agency news and trade rumours for those of you who haven't caught up with today's advancements.

FREE AGENCY:

It went down to the wire, but Richmond fans can rejoice that they've finally recruited Troy Chaplin. His stats stand up, but apparently he won't after he has knee surgery according to Port Adelaide. Is it sour grapes? Who cares, Richmond finally got their man, and Port Adelaide have again lost another player.. and still don't have a coach.

28 year old Shannon Byrnes, a dual Premiership player at the best club of the modern era, has decided to part ways with Geelong and seek more opportunity at Melbourne. Byrnes has been a dominate player at VFL level in 2012, but was starved of opportunities this season at the cattery.

This is a great example of a win/win situation for both clubs. The cats really needed to cull their list to make room for new rookies and draft picks, and in anticipation of the arrivals of Jared Rivers, Josh Caddy and Hamish McIntosh. They also get themselves a draft pick, which is still yet to be determined as the AFL will assign a pick based on a formula. (That formula, I do no know).

Other than deals for Melbourne and Richmond, there was no new news on the free agency front.

TRADE RUMOURS:

BRISBANE:
I'm going to start by saying i'm happy to finally see Brisbane talked about, and secondly because i'm going in "alphabetical order" based on news today, it means I don't bore everybody BUT Collingwood supporters' life's by starting off with the team everybody, apart from their own, hate.

Brisbane's list manager stated today that they were still in the hunt for Tippett, however given the trade week doesn't start until next week, they will spend between now and Monday morning deciding on what deal they will put in fornt of Adelaide to gain his services.

Brisbane also indicated that they were looking to add (apart from Tippett) another two players to the lions, in an attempt to bring in more hardened bodies, and mature age players to a young line up.

Brent Moloney has been offered a 4 year deal as an unrestricted agent, and Clinton Young is also on their radar.

CARLTON:
Mick Malthouse has officially lost it. Sheedy went mad towards the end of his time at Essendon, and now he's passed that baton onto Malthouse.

The blues this afternoon confirmed that they were very interested in recruiting Raph Clarke from St Kilda.

*Que Raph Clarke Jokes here*

I don't know why, or how.. but I can only imagine the only people happy about this are St Kilda supporters.

COLLINGWOOD:
Sorry pies fans, no new news for you today! Sharrod Wellingham could still be West Coast bound, but nothing new to report in regards to Wellers and Dawes.

ESSENDON:
The bombers were quiet today, but what we can confirm is that they're now officially out of the race for Brent Moloney and Josh Caddy.

FREMANTLE:
The dockers are close to signing up McPhee and McPharlin which is great. However they've told rival clubs that Jon Griffin is off the table, but Zac Clarke has requested a trade back to Melbourne which should spark quite a bit of interest from rival clubs.

GEELONG:
Hamish McIntosh has officially been offered the Geelong ruck role, As long as North Melbourne and Geelong come to an agreement.

What does this mean for Trent West I wonder?

The cats still believe they can land Caddy, and still believe they can get Rivers across, despite speculation that Rivers is considering recommitting to Melbourne.

MELBOURNE:
I don't care what you say, but the best part of the day on a somewhat of a "Melbourne Front" are the fighting words from prospective father/son selection Jack Viney.

He promised to make Melbourne pay if they didn't select him, and also said he'd never come back to Melbourne, with the only thing connecting to the demons, is that his dad player there. BAM!

Oh and when asked about his physicality at a media conference this morning, he had this to say:

"If I didn't want to be physical I would be playing soccer or something like that."

Double BAM!

I like the kid, in fact I love him. If Melbourne pass up the opportunity to recruit him, they deserved to be embraced as the "marshmellow squad" from here on end. It'd be terrible decision to let him slip, even if it meant that Melbourne had to use pick 3 on him. Still, i think it's a good chance that Melbourne will get to use their second round pick, with Gold Coast emerging to be non-committal to taking with him with their pick 2 overall.

The good news for Demons fans today is the recruitment of Shannon Bryrnes, a premiership player at Geelong, who will add quite a bit of zip to the Melbourne forward line, and add another seasoned body and some leadership to the younger guys.

Colin Sylvia's Manager Tom Petroro also confirmed that he will be staying at the Demons in 2013, which closes the door on speculation that he might be on his way out of the club.

Melbourne are still gunning hard for Wellingham and Dawes, and although there was word of Melbourne trading pick 4 to Collingwod to get the pair, that's not entirely the truth. It was more of a hypothetical thrown up by Terry Wallace.

PORT ADELAIDE:
Another day, another Port Adelaide player gone. They still don't have a coach, but the positives are looking up with Angus Monfries and Henry Slattery Port Adelaide bound. Jordan Russel and Brent Thornton have also been linked to the power.

Reports coming through this afternoon from Triple M Adelaide is that Ken Hinkley has been spotted at Adelaide airport, and on arrival was met by Port Adelaide officials.

Funnily enough, we said that about this time yesterday, except with Leon Cameron and he being greeted by GWS officials at Sydney airport...

ST KILDA:
It happens in waves. First it was Richmond and Essendon whom in which everybody was linked to. Then for a 24 hour period it was Collingwood, but now St Kilda, being "aggressive" as they promised, have now got their fingers in just about every pie when it comes to out of contract players.

They've made inquires about Mitch Brown from West Coast, they still desperately want Ben Jacons (PTA), Josh Caddy (GCS) and Koby Stevens (WCE), yet really want to retain Jamie Cripps.

Good on them for being active, and for assessing their options, but just how on earth are the saints supposed to satisfy Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and the Eagles to secure those players? It's anybody's guess.

SYDNEY:
Sorry swans fans, but you can expect, not to expect Kurt Tippett with the swans next year. Despite the fact Sydney have put over $1 Million a season in front of Tippett, they must satisfy a trade with Adelaide to get the deal done.

They haven't got any players that Adelaide are interested in, nor have low enough draft picks to remotely spark some interest.

If Tippett went into the preseason, he'd land at the Suns.

WEST COAST:
I'm convinced that the media are giving us all the ring around, because Triple M confirmed today that West Coast had now reconfirmed their interest in Sharrod Wellingham.

The eagles also have EVERY Victorian club now interested in gaining the services of highly touted youngster Koby Stevens who is looking for a return to Victoria in a bid to gain more opportunities.

It's expected that Stevens will go to either Carlton or St Kilda, as Carlton will do a straight swap for Kane Lucus, and the Saints the same but for Jamie Cripps.

DRAFT COMBINE NEWS:

The new Brad Johnson kicking test was unveiled today, with 3 perfect scores. Queenslander Andrew Boston, Tasweigen Jesse Lonergan and Bendigo's Jake Stringer all kicked perfect scores in the Brad Johnson kicking test, which is a 5 kick "shot on goal" a bit like the old basketball game of "around the world".

It assess a players ability to kick a goal from different points on the ground, using different techniques eg: Drop Punt, Banana, Snap, Torpedo etc.

The beep test also was underway in day 2 of the combine. The test was done in the beaming 28 degree sun on Etihad stadium, with most draftees believing that it should've been done in the shade, and that it knocked a complete level off their scores.

Suck it up I say, you're out there to impress so that you can play AFL football, a chance most of us would dream about! Harden up lads!

Nonetheless, it was a Vic Country defender by the name of Tom Clurey who took out the honours today with a score of level 15.0 - an incredible job.

And that's a wrap!!

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

No news on frawley...

#1 Ryder fan