Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

BigMart wrote:OK JB

It's OK for you to label a young untried fella as a NOBODY and condemning his career upon trading, yet jump on a high horse and call me for labelling known AFL failure a retard (in a footy sense)

You've also bagged the living s*** out of me for going off early......

Seems a little hypocrisy at work..... But not for the first time though is it??!!
OH

MY

GOD!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There are some gullible, stupid people on this forum :roll:

You and Jimmy_slats tie for first place.

You fools :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
spot on wrote:Our rebuild isn't gonna come with just 1 very good player at pick 12, if we can get 3 good players at that price I will be happy with that. So we don't have players like Robert eddy running around in our grand finals.
Yes, I agree, I think that our list is in such a phuct up place at the moment that Pelchen is trying to multitask all of our decent picks to bring as much talent in as he can in a few years… last year it was a slight pick downgrade for Saad/Milera… this year a large downgrade, but to 2 picks… and Lee… Jury is of course out on Lee ATM, but I really like the premise of churning as much young talent in as possible…

An 18 YO, "potential" A-grader who is probably 5 years from excellent football may not as good for us (right now) as 2-3 B-graders.

That is true but also surely that is only for the people who think the window is still open.
Not really, to me it looks like we are re-building, but in 3 years, rather than 7-8…

Taking one 'gun' with your first pick a year to re-build is just too slow… and also too many eggs in one basket… instead we are downgrading picks but adding 2-3 'good' players at a time, hopefully it is smart recruiting, otherwise we will never hear the end of it in 2 years time :wink:

I thought we might be stuffed for a very long time, but if we can 4-5 solid players to the list per year, we aren't going to fall to complete uncompetitiveness like I had envisaged.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:If Low picks were the answer Melbourne FC would be winning premierships every year! Instead they just collect great young juniors and turn them into crud.
We had lots of low picks and never won a flag either.

We also had plenty of players like Dal and Lenny, and Fisher etc who were not classed as elite, but have turned into elite.

Our current AA's were a rookie from Essendon and the steak knives on the Schneider trade.

Hope young Lee turns into one of them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
savatage
SS Life Member

True JB but we've been bloody good value & always competitive. Melbourne have stockpiled more picks than us & are even worse than they were a few years ago when they got into this predicament.

Austinnn
Club Player

Can someone clarify what is meant by a 'Strong Draft'? I have it in my head that a strong draft means that the quality lasts longer, i.e. pick 24 in a strong draft is more or less equal to pick 12, whereas in a normal draft there is a noticeable drop off of quality.

Or does it just mean that the quality is a lot better across the board, but the differences in the different ranks are as noticeable as usual?

The impression I've formed over the last few months of people talking about this draft is that it's the former situation, in which case I'm not too cut up about swapping our top picks for proven players.

Having said that, maybe it's a good thing that we don't know what pick we'll get for Goddard, it might stop up trading it away, and then we might actually be able to use it on a gun kid.

Although we don't have a great history with first picks, we seem to be much better with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th selections!

So far I'm happy with Tom Lee, as I have said previously we need rucks and FBs but more than that, we need a marquee KF to join Stanley in taking over from Roo and Kosi in a few years, just as they took over from Loewe and Hall all those years ago. Let's hope that he's our man.

I don't know enough about Him Hickey Caddy Brown Martin or any of the other players on our radar to know if they are worth what we are offering or not but I do know that I like Cripps and really like Ray, they will both be big losses if they leave. Ray has been really stiff this year, but though his talent will leave a hole, similar to Goddard, his position is coverable and if he could find a good home and with a good trade, he'd leave with my blessing.

Cripps is fast and good forward or back, something that we need. Still not sold on his durability yet, but he is quality and if we were to lose him, I'd want his replacement to be a strong KPP, a fullback to beat the Franklins, Walkers, Kennedys and other types of fowards that have thrashed us this year. Is Brown that good? If not, I'd want steak knives.

If I'm right about the draft, late picks are ok by me, but in the end I trust the Pelican and all the other chaps to do the necessary and to whoever we get; welcome to St Kilda, the best years of your lives!
Last edited by Austinnn on Mon 08 Oct 2012 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
chook23 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:TAC future stars phantom draft had Lee going at pick 11
which year?
2012, this year.
Can you provide that list showing him at 11?

saint4life
kimberly saint
Club Player

maybe the saints new another club was going to possibly take him early ??????
we could hung onto 12 and rectruited the next jack watts, show bit faith in our guys. Be positive people be positive

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone of repute said this was a strong draft, i keep hearing that there is depth in all first round draft picks and then it's like any other year...

I have also heard there is a lack of quality talls from the u/18 sides this year, hence the reason Pelican went for Lee, hence the reason they want Hickey and Brown

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone watch his highlight reel? He has some nice touch. I think he looks amazing and I said when we got Saad I thought it was a good trade because he went well at VFL and should be able to bring that speed and quick thinking to the AFL. I would think from the Foxtel cup game and the highlights reel he looks a pretty solid pick if not slightly brilliant and has that same quick reflex that translates very well to the real deal.

The future stars team had him at 11 in their fantasy draft- they believed carlton would not be able to pass up a key forward of that quality. I like the way he plays and has a bit of Franklin about him- tall but plays like a goal sneak but can still pull down nice marks when needed. I think we will be pretty happy in 2 years time. He might be the Jack Riewoldt / Darling that we actually got guys.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:maybe the saints new another club was going to possibly take him early ??????
we could hung onto 12 and rectruited the next jack watts, show bit faith in our guys. Be positive people be positive
No he will be a spud selection just like thoses duds Saad and Milera were last year.

Oh and BTW whomever we select with our #13 I hope has a photo on the AFL website, BigMart will have a stroke if they dont.

Lance or James??

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
chook23 wrote:
which year?
2012, this year.
Can you provide that list showing him at 11?
http://www.supercoachhq.com/14/post/201 ... draft.html

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Emma Quayle reckons we did pretty well on this one. I rate her opinion, so thats reassuring for me anyway....
She certainly knows more than most (and probably more than any here on SS) when it comes to rating young talent. She has superb contacts and does her homework. So if she rates it asa plus, then looks ok to me.

Wilkes may be the unhappiest guy at the Saints at present. His late season form looked to have got him past Kosi, but now Lee may go past him. From first 22, back to be a back-up player.

A 3 tall forward line of Roo, Lee, and Stanley looks to be a good balance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Did anyone watch his highlight reel?
Yes, but I thought Shenton looked pretty super in his highlights reel too… speaking of Shenton, why didn't we take Lee as a rookie instead of him last year? Let's take the next 'Lee' as a rookie this year… can we?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Can someone clarify what is meant by a 'Strong Draft'? I have it in my head that a strong draft means that the quality lasts longer, i.e. pick 24 in a strong draft is more or less equal to pick 12, whereas in a normal draft there is a noticeable drop off of quality.

Or does it just mean that the quality is a lot better across the board, but the differences in the different ranks are as noticeable as usual?

The impression I've formed over the last few months of people talking about this draft is that it's the former situation, in which case I'm not too cut up about swapping our top picks for proven players.

Having said that, maybe it's a good thing that we don't know what pick we'll get for Goddard, it might stop up trading it away, and then we might actually be able to use it on a gun kid.

Although we don't have a great history with first picks, we seem to be much better with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th selections!

So far I'm happy with Tom Lee, as I have said previously we need rucks and FBs but more than that, we need a marquee KF to join Stanley in taking over from Roo and Kosi in a few years, just as they took over from Loewe and Hall all those years ago. Let's hope that he's our man.

I don't know enough about Him Hickey Caddy Brown Martin or any of the other players on our radar to know if they are worth what we are offering or not but I do know that I like Cripps and really like Ray, they will both be big losses if they leave. Ray has been really stiff this year, but though his talent will leave a hole, similar to Goddard, his position is coverable and if he could find a good home and with a good trade, he'd leave with my blessing.

Cripps is fast and good forward or back, something that we need. Still not sold on his durability yet, but he is quality and if we were to lose him, I'd want his replacement to be a strong KPP, a fullback to beat the Franklins, Walkers, Kennedys and other types of fowards that have thrashed us this year. Is Brown that good? If not, I'd want steak knives.

If I'm right about the draft, late picks are ok by me, but in the end I trust the Pelican and all the other chaps to do the necessary and to whoever we get; welcome to St Kilda, the best years of your lives!

Yeah I believe it's where there are quality picks outside the top 5 to 8 players with quality players running deep. Most years there at least that many that would be pretty solid. Some years there is a dearth of quality outside a few. I think Goddard was in a shallow draft from memory (don't hold me to that as I didn't check). Some years picks into the high teens are still producing very good players and some stragglers even drift out later, that's when it's a super draft. This year has been revised from super to pretty good apparently. Last year there was a suggestion that this draft would have some great talls when last year there wasn't. Apart from Jaksche there aren't that many real gun big players (Stringer isn't actually that tall).

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How has he grown 3cm after 20yo??

Anyways, no one has confirmed we have pick 13 have they???

JB.
Cripps gone, Darling 3rd in WCE best and fairest.... Just outstanding selection there??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:Did anyone watch his highlight reel?
Yes, but I thought Shenton looked pretty super in his highlights reel too… speaking of Shenton, why didn't we take Lee as a rookie instead of him last year? Let's take the next 'Lee' as a rookie this year… can we?

Hey I love Shents but his highlight reel looked ok but a long way off Lee. Lee has some weapons to his game, can mark, has speed for size, can turn on a dime, thinks quick and has super clean hands and an accurate kick. Shents looked like a guy who could run into space and load up long goals but not in the same league.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How has he grown 3cm after 20yo??

Anyways, no one has confirmed we have pick 13 have they???

JB.
Cripps gone, Darling 3rd in WCE best and fairest.... Just outstanding selection there??

All because he didn't have his photo up.

WOW :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saintlee wrote:Emma Quayle reckons we did pretty well on this one. I rate her opinion, so thats reassuring for me anyway....
She certainly knows more than most (and probably more than any here on SS) when it comes to rating young talent. She has superb contacts and does her homework. So if she rates it asa plus, then looks ok to me.

Wilkes may be the unhappiest guy at the Saints at present. His late season form looked to have got him past Kosi, but now Lee may go past him. From first 22, back to be a back-up player.

A 3 tall forward line of Roo, Lee, and Stanley looks to be a good balance.
This sound sacrilegious but I would look at Stanley down back with those guys able to hold the forward line down. He could monster tall forwards and has reach and closing speed.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Very happy to have Lee at the club. Was very good for Claremont and played very well in the Foxtel Cup Grand Final.

However... pick 12 is extortionate. Pick 30-40 would have been more appropriate.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Hey I love Shents but his highlight reel looked ok but a long way off Lee. Lee has some weapons to his game, can mark, has speed for size, can turn on a dime, thinks quick and has super clean hands and an accurate kick. Shents looked like a guy who could run into space and load up long goals but not in the same league.
Just checked out the highlights. Can take a good contested mark, seems a balanced runner with a good turn and a handy and accurate kick.

Good luck to the kid. If Emma Quail reckons he is good value, I would certainly defer to her. She knows her stuff.

Lance or James??

Austinnn
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Has anyone of repute said this was a strong draft, i keep hearing that there is depth in all first round draft picks and then it's like any other year...

I have also heard there is a lack of quality talls from the u/18 sides this year, hence the reason Pelican went for Lee, hence the reason they want Hickey and Brown
gringo wrote:Yeah I believe it's where there are quality picks outside the top 5 to 8 players with quality players running deep. Most years there at least that many that would be pretty solid. Some years there is a dearth of quality outside a few. I think Goddard was in a shallow draft from memory (don't hold me to that as I didn't check). Some years picks into the high teens are still producing very good players and some stragglers even drift out later, that's when it's a super draft. This year has been revised from super to pretty good apparently. Last year there was a suggestion that this draft would have some great talls when last year there wasn't. Apart from Jaksche there aren't that many real gun big players (Stringer isn't actually that tall).
Thanks fellas. I stand corrected.
gringo wrote:Did anyone watch his highlight reel? He has some nice touch. I think he looks amazing and I said when we got Saad I thought it was a good trade because he went well at VFL and should be able to bring that speed and quick thinking to the AFL. I would think from the Foxtel cup game and the highlights reel he looks a pretty solid pick if not slightly brilliant and has that same quick reflex that translates very well to the real deal.

The future stars team had him at 11 in their fantasy draft- they believed carlton would not be able to pass up a key forward of that quality. I like the way he plays and has a bit of Franklin about him- tall but plays like a goal sneak but can still pull down nice marks when needed. I think we will be pretty happy in 2 years time. He might be the Jack Riewoldt / Darling that we actually got guys.
Exciting!

I think BigNote is imagining the AFL turning around to us and saying "Pick 13 for Goddard?? Tell 'em they're dreaming. Nahhhh, you're getting pick 30 you deaf pricks. And if we hear any whinging, we'll give that to bloody Collingwood, alright?"

I'll go with Quayle's judgement too. Knows a million times more than anyone else on this forum.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

My reading is that Pick 12 was needed to get ahead of the other interested parties, he's a big strong forward with a lot of potential, plus he's a Saints fan judging from that photo, which sweetens the pot. Him and Sippa in the forward line thumping the crest every time they score a goal. Bleeding for the team they have always loved. Never leaving to move to a 'big club'.

I'm happy to give pick 12 for that and 2nd and 4th round picks.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
SuperDuper
Club Player

How has he grown 3cm after 20yo??
who knows, but it is a huge positive.... means he was super raw at Adelaide...

And there is no doubt about the 194cm listing as he was at Draft camp last week and the measurement would be 'mm perfect"

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:My reading is that Pick 12 was needed to get ahead of the other interested parties, he's a big strong forward with a lot of potential, plus he's a Saints fan judging from that photo, which sweetens the pot. Him and Sippa in the forward line thumping the crest every time they score a goal. Bleeding for the team they have always loved. Never leaving to move to a 'big club'.

We also have pick 13 by all accounts for BJ. Why not offer them that and keep 12. There is still 3 weeks to sort this out. Who can get in between those 2 picks? Still don't understand why we had to go so early. 12 was always ours. 13 is 99% ours. At worst we would have got 13 and 14 if the Power's compo is judged 1st round.

8856brother wrote:
Austinnn wrote:My reading is that Pick 12 was needed to get ahead of the other interested parties, he's a big strong forward with a lot of potential, plus he's a Saints fan judging from that photo, which sweetens the pot. Him and Sippa in the forward line thumping the crest every time they score a goal. Bleeding for the team they have always loved. Never leaving to move to a 'big club'.

We also have pick 13 by all accounts for BJ. Why not offer them that and keep 12. There is still 3 weeks to sort this out. Who can get in between those 2 picks? Still don't understand why we had to go so early. 12 was always ours. 13 is 99% ours. At worst we would have got 13 and 14 if the Power's compo is judged 1st round.
maybe so we can use the two picks we picked up to trade out ???