Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mick13
Club Player

Re: Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

Couple hours ago:

Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq
@courageousj absolutely worth a shot. esp knowing that goddard pick is coming. they've done well

Let's give the kid a chance!

suss
Club Player

It looks like we'll get pick 13 for Brendon Goddard, an absolute Rolls, and we just coughed up pick 12, a higher pick, for a guy who a) couldn't cut it at highest level in his first attempt and b) reminds me of Fergus Watts.

I think I fall into the minority here but this looks like a desperately risky strategy to me. And I don't buy the 'we've still got pick 13 argument'. Having one high pick left doesn't justify wasting the first.

I so hope I'm wrong on this - I would've loved picks 12 and 13 in a very strong draft.

Austinnn
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:What is stupid is that the FA period and the trade period should be separate.

1st & 2nd week - FA period
3rd & 4th week - Trade period

At least that way teams that were involved with FA will know what picks they have before the trade period starts

If anyone can tell me why the AFL have decided that the two periods need a crossover period it would be very much appreciated.

Because if they didnt crossover then we could have offered pick 13 rather than pick 12 and we would have been a pick ahead of GWS rather than behind - sure not a big a difference but enough that it could effect getting an intended target.
Agreed.

I'm all for FA, but to mix it up with the trade period is ridiculous. It's like starting a motor race with the drivers not knowing which car they'll be driving. Your suggestion is hopefully how it will change from now on. Amazing that the administration that gets paid millions to organise our game couldn't understand such a rudimentary thing. I hope that the clubs bail on the AFL one day and start a breakaway league.

Oh alright.

To the fool who can't type and expends energy using aggressive and inappropriate language for an all ages website, a FAIL is when you do something very poorly and don't succeed in your aim. When you try to make someone look stupid and end up making yourself look even more stupid, you have failed. Please don't bother again, you aren't up to it. Save your energy for stuff relating to the football team we support, I beg you.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Seventy goals at ff in the WAFL at age 21 suggests he is a good prospect. It's a speculative trade, but most are ... there are no guarantees.

I'm happy about this one
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 08 Oct 2012 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Opinions from fans don't mean much.

I'm happy to back blokes who are experts, who are full time talent people, who have spoken to whoever needs to be spoken to, have reviewed all tapes & data and who know exactly who is available to trade in or who we would be likely to get in the Draft.

Welcome Tom Lee :)

Austinnn
Club Player

suss wrote:It looks like we'll get pick 13 for Brendon Goddard, an absolute Rolls, and we just coughed up pick 12, a higher pick, for a guy who a) couldn't cut it at highest level in his first attempt and b) reminds me of Fergus Watts.

I think I fall into the minority here but this looks like a desperately risky strategy to me. And I don't buy the 'we've still got pick 13 argument'. Having one high pick left doesn't justify wasting the first.

I so hope I'm wrong on this - I would've loved picks 12 and 13 in a very strong draft.

How did we waste the first pick?

Goddard was going to go to a club like Essendon, rather than the one we'd have wanted him to go to for a trade, so we got the best we could have there, Rolls or not.

Tom Lee plus the pick that could get us Mitch Brown or another very decent kid is not a waste of a first round draft pick. He couldn't cut it first time round, big deal. Not everyone is a gun kid. We aren't drafting him as a kid. Loads of players don't do much for the first few years, do you really want a list? Lee is exactly the type of player that we will need when Roo/Kosi retires if he achieves his potential - risky yes, but definitely no waste. Who he reminds you of is irrelevant. Key Forwards don't fall into our lap very often; the last two we got came from Pick 1 and 2 of the same draft, and we will hopefully never in the position to be getting picks that juicy again, if you see what I mean. Yes, we got it wrong with Watts, same as Winmar and Clarke, (Too bloody sentimental with the family connection), That doesn't mean we are getting it wrong here. I trust Pelchen.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
savatage
SS Life Member

Exactly. Sam Fisher wasn't setting the world on fire at 21...he's a gun now. Not everyone is ready to go at 17/18/19.

suss
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:
suss wrote:It looks like we'll get pick 13 for Brendon Goddard, an absolute Rolls, and we just coughed up pick 12, a higher pick, for a guy who a) couldn't cut it at highest level in his first attempt and b) reminds me of Fergus Watts.

Goddard was going to go to a club like Essendon, rather than the one we'd have wanted him to go to for a trade, so we got the best we could have there, Rolls or not.

Tom Lee plus the pick that could get us Mitch Brown or another very decent kid is not a waste of a first round draft pick. He couldn't cut it first time round, big deal. Not everyone is a gun kid. We aren't drafting him as a kid. Loads of players don't do much for the first few years, do you really want a list? Lee is exactly the type of player that we will need when Roo/Kosi retires if he achieves his potential - risky yes, but definitely no waste. Who he reminds you of is irrelevant. Key Forwards don't fall into our lap very often; the last two we got came from Pick 1 and 2 of the same draft, and we will hopefully never in the position to be getting picks that juicy again, if you see what I mean. Yes, we got it wrong with Watts, same as Winmar and Clarke, (Too bloody sentimental with the family connection), That doesn't mean we are getting it wrong here. I trust Pelchen.
I'm not saying it is a waste, I'm just saying that having two high drafts picks doesn't, logically at least, justify taking an unnecessary risk with one simply because you have another. Each pick should be valued on it's merits. It sounds like people are happy to make a speculative trade because at least we'll get one gun. That is some seriously crazy logic.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

I'm not saying it is a waste, I'm just saying that having two high drafts picks doesn't, logically at least, justify taking an unnecessary risk with one simply because you have another. Each pick should be valued on it's merits. It sounds like people are happy to make a speculative trade because at least we'll get one gun. That is some seriously crazy logic.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
It is just as much an unnecessary risk taking an untried 18 year old with pick 12 - one who probably wont be ready for senior football for another 3 years

Instead of getting an untried 18 year old (who wont be ready to go for another 3 years) we are now getting a fast improving 21 year old KPP + pick 24 (1st pick in Round 2) + pick 43 (1st pick in Round 3)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Exactly. Sam Fisher wasn't setting the world on fire at 21...he's a gun now. Not everyone is ready to go at 17/18/19.
we could name hundreds of gun afl players not ready to go until 21/22. several on the saints list right now.
simpkin geary saad milney fisher come to mind for starters.

just like we could name hundreds of champion 17 year olds that were rubbish by 21/22.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My feeling is that we are looking at the list as a jigsaw puzzle like the Hawks did. They are looking for a forward to replace Rooey in a few years and even if he doesn't become a superstar he should give better service than the total output of our two first rounders in Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps before exiting the club. Someone at the club rates Lee very highly and time will tell if it's a hit or miss. I like the look of him myself and can see him surprising the way Saad and Milera did.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Exactly. Sam Fisher wasn't setting the world on fire at 21...he's a gun now. Not everyone is ready to go at 17/18/19.
yes.. and key forwards rarely make their mark until their 20s.
look at Fevola.. at age 21 (same as Lee this year) he played 9 and kicked 13
Lee has a trajectory that is quite normal for KPP

maybe he will be really good, maybe not, all picks have a degree of the speculative and risk, but taking a 21 year is in fact LESS speculative and LESS risky than taking an 18 year old.

Saints have much more idea about how good he will be and he has played well in WAFL finals and has dominated against VFL teams..
as opposed to playing against juniors in the TAC,

savatage
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
savatage wrote:Exactly. Sam Fisher wasn't setting the world on fire at 21...he's a gun now. Not everyone is ready to go at 17/18/19.
we could name hundreds of gun afl players not ready to go until 21/22. several on the saints list right now.
simpkin geary saad milney fisher come to mind for starters.

just like we could name hundreds of champion 17 year olds that were rubbish by 21/22.
Why am I getting flashbacks of Caydn Beetham...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My feeling is that we are looking at the list as a jigsaw puzzle like the Hawks did. They are looking for a forward to replace Rooey in a few years and even if he doesn't become a superstar he should give better service than the total output of our two first rounders in Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps before exiting the club. Someone at the club rates Lee very highly and time will tell if it's a hit or miss. I like the look of him myself and can see him surprising the way Saad and Milera did.

Yes they are looking to build a balanced list.
Not saying that they will be as good but:

Lee = Roo
Saad = Milne
Brown = Zac/Max

I have a feeling that part of the logic for swapping Lee for 12 plus two picks was to use one of those picks to get someone else that we want.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kimberly saint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
gringo wrote:My feeling is that we are looking at the list as a jigsaw puzzle like the Hawks did. They are looking for a forward to replace Rooey in a few years and even if he doesn't become a superstar he should give better service than the total output of our two first rounders in Tom Lynch and Jamie Cripps before exiting the club. Someone at the club rates Lee very highly and time will tell if it's a hit or miss. I like the look of him myself and can see him surprising the way Saad and Milera did.

Lee = Roo
Saad = Milne
Brown = Zac/Max

I have a feeling that part of the logic for swapping Lee for 12 plus two picks was to use one of those picks to get someone else that we want.

yep i think so, or they inside mail lee was going to be snaped up by carlton or sum one else

lefty
Club Player

Hrm I'm worried about this, a player that has already once been delisted, yet we used pick 12....

Hope it pays off, I know nothing about the fella, hope he does us well :)

His highlights reel looks actually very good :D
Last edited by lefty on Mon 08 Oct 2012 11:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

|Andy|
Club Player

kimberly saint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Lee = Roo
Saad = Milne
Brown = Zac/Max

yep i think so, or they inside mail lee was going to be snaped up by carlton or sum one else

I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.

class of 2010
Club Player

The delisting Lee had is virtually irrelevant now, as is the fact he was initially drafted at 60. Firstly he was delisted after 1 year indicating he really wasn't settling in at the club and was in over his head (being drafted at 17 he was one of the youngest blokes in the afl, moving cities, immature) hence why he was drafted late/cut early. After finding his way in the wafl system he is now significantly better equipped to deal with the pressures/responsibility of being an afl footballer. He has shown he has skill (60 goals this year-6 in the foxtel cup gf and 6 in the one of the wafl final series games) and will be given every opportunity to vindicate his drafting at 12 (-24,43)

oh when the saints
kimberly saint
Club Player

I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.[/quote]

club might thought he was a second rounder, and planed on drafting him then. but instead use 12 get him and pick 24 43 aswell either cause they got news sum one was going to snare him and did not want miss him or wats more likely needed 24 to get another deal done. . its just not lee we got for pick 12 people are forgeting this i think, we are only all guesing any how

cheers

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

In a couple of years Claremont aren't going to have enough players to make up a team, if Watters and McPhee have their way.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: I hope that the clubs bail on the AFL one day and start a breakaway league.
not feasible

several reasons

the AFL own the rights to team colours mascot, names ect, team would have to change colours and names if they broke away.

AFL is a lot bigger than the NRL was back in the ninties requiring a lot bigger investment and risk

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

|Andy| wrote: I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.
Do you sincerely think that they would be stupid enough to do that??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

|Andy| wrote: I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.

I think they would do it because they rate him highly not just because they thought someone else might get him. If they thought there is a gun forward that might not last until pick 12 in the draft because they rate him it might inspire some tricks to get him first. I would guess someone at WAFL level has told Watters or micale that they have a gun kid who is worth getting as a first rounder and they have made it happen. I like the fact that Pelchens team seems to conjure trades from nowhere but gets them right most times.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:In a couple of years Claremont aren't going to have enough players to make up a team, if Watters and McPhee have their way.
Kane Mitchell next up???

|Andy|
Club Player

kimberly saint wrote:
I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.
club might thought he was a second rounder, and planed on drafting him then. but instead use 12 get him and pick 24 43 aswell either cause they got news sum one was going to snare him and did not want miss him or wats more likely needed 24 to get another deal done. . its just not lee we got for pick 12 people are forgeting this i think, we are only all guesing any how

cheers
I can see what you're saying there, but that's making the assumption that a pick 12 is worth 2 second round draft picks and a third round. I don't know what our recruiting staff think but I personally don't believe it is worth it. Now that we have 2 second round draft picks, I doubt we would be able to trade it for any picks near pick number 12 to other clubs.

And maybe having the pick 24 has put us into a better position to get a deal done with another club, but only time will tell if we even needed that pick, or if we could've done a swap of a lower ranked pick.