Farren Ray - gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Farren Ray - gone?

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: no way will they get away with that?
viney will be long GONE by 26. they cant do that.
They can and they have. Only GC could have trumped them because of the draft order, so they have done a deal with GC, so Melbourne don't have to bid their first round pick for Viney, they only have to bid their second round pick. It's done.

26 is off the table.
Man thats annoying. Sounds to me like Melbourne have won and the Suns have been way too generous.
I effing hate the Dees.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
They can and they have. Only GC could have trumped them because of the draft order, so they have done a deal with GC, so Melbourne don't have to bid their first round pick for Viney, they only have to bid their second round pick. It's done.

26 is off the table.
still dont get why gc dont say - ok peeps well take pick 11 for caddy plus well spend 3 on viney

wally
Club Player

I reckon Farren Ray has been good while at the saints.Is there no longer a spot for him?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:I reckon Farren Ray has been good while at the saints.Is there no longer a spot for him?
He wants out as I hear Wally.

Sainterman
Club Player

Could we use our new pick 24 and Farren Ray for pick 13 from Melbourne?

SaintTom
Club Player

Just watching the Carlton game - Farren absolutely dominated. Easily bog in the first quarter, and from what I can remember was basically best on...

Might be biased because he's my favourite player, but I really don't want to lose him/wish he didn't want to go.

Sainterman, I think our pick 24 might be used for something like that. I'm thinking it might be used toward Brown, though, rather than an upgrade of picks.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's a battler rather than class. Watching him at Sandy he just looks so close but just lacks something intangible. He would be a good fit at the Dees because he won't kill you with s*** output but he's not going to be our future. Great bloke and good clubman but like Raph it's a shame to see them rotting in the VFL, give him a go at another club.

savatage
SS Life Member

He's been good for us but is replaceable & a way for us to attain more draft selections/pathways to our targeted players. I'd wish him all the very best & Thank him for his efforts.

Austinnn
Club Player

gringo wrote:He's a battler rather than class. Watching him at Sandy he just looks so close but just lacks something intangible. He would be a good fit at the Dees because he won't kill you with s*** output but he's not going to be our future. Great bloke and good clubman but like Raph it's a shame to see them rotting in the VFL, give him a go at another club.
I agree with everything you say. If only all fans were as gracious.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Can be great, but often goes missing for an entire qtr....nothing! Just that inconsistency costs him a walk up spot, his best is certainly top 22. Love his overhead marking.

Nee!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

i have alsways had time for Ray, always trys and is a good player imo.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
matrix
Saintsational Legend

id like to keep him too
great mark over head i thought for a small guy
will back into it too
good courage

guess he wants out for some reason or another
club saying he is required
so im guessing he signed last year ? so his coin is already determined this year.
maybe he wants a change of environment or thinks he wont crack the 22 reg with joey dal hayes ledge dunnell newnes steven etc coming thru???

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:id like to keep him too
will back into it too
good courage

so im guessing he signed last year ? so his coin is already determined this year.
maybe he wants a change of environment or thinks he wont crack the 22 reg with joey dal hayes ledge dunnell newnes steven etc coming thru???
I noticed he didn't get a lot of game time this season ... but i'm sure watters is working everyone out. as metioned played great for us against the blues!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
suss
Club Player

True Believer wrote:

26 is off the table.
Is it just me or does that look a lot like draft tampering? You would think Anderson would've thought about this scenario before changing the f/s rule. Then again...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

can someone explain why they use a later pick and not their first?

i heard that port called them and the bombers out saying we'll take viney or daniher with our first pick which forced the bombers to use 10 on daniher but how come melb can nominate to use 26 and not their earlier pick??

im sure theres some simple reason with 15 subclauses that im missing

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seems to be me that the longer AD has been in the more interventionism has slowly and insidiously crept in. I think it is a function of power that the longer you are in the more you intervene. Perhaps the AFL commission should seriously consider a 4 or 6 year maximum term for CEO?
For example the compo rules on FA seem very discretionary and in this case the father/son seems stacked in Melbournes favour. Clearly the AFL want to see Melbourne come up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:can someone explain why they use a later pick and not their first?

i heard that port called them and the bombers out saying we'll take viney or daniher with our first pick which forced the bombers to use 10 on daniher but how come melb can nominate to use 26 and not their earlier pick??

by the sounds of it the teams directly before you in the draft order can nominate to use their pick on a father and son which then forces you to use your next pick.

If we had pick 6 in the draft and we had young Connor Harvey who is a potential number 1 in a free market -any of the 5 teams before us can nominate to take him with their picks which then means we need to give up pick6. If they don't nominate him , he just keeps drifting out until the next pick- even last pick if no one nominates him in the draft.

We did it with the Dogs a couple of years ago when we said we would take Ayce Cordy, it meant they were forced to use their next pick. Melbourne obviously didn't have another pick until 26 or what ever it was as any club before just bumps you to the next pick.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:can someone explain why they use a later pick and not their first?

As I understand it - and I could be very wrong - If a team nominates to take a F/S player, the club wanting to pick him as F/S must use their next available pick after that which was nominated by the bidding club. So if a team had pick 1,2 or 3, and bid Melbourne would need to use pick 4 but teams with picks after 4 but before 20, who bid in this range would force them to use pick 20. It is a case of letting the bidding team determine the value of the F/S player and the original team then matching it with their next pick. If no-one rates the player, or bids on them, it is then up to the club to use their last live pick to select the F/S player.

It makes you think before bidding, if GWS had bid pick 3, and Melb said too steep, GWS would have been stuck with Viney for pick 3, most commentators believe he was a 5-10 player. So Melb get a bargain because he was not good enough to risk a pick 3 on and I guess Port thought Daniher was the better player so bid their 7 for him forcing the Dons to use their 10 to take him.

As it stands, we could not have influenced this decision at all, not having a live pick below 24 at present.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

will back into it too
good courage

He signed the end of last year, for dogs biscuits....and can't really get a game.

I want him to stay, but understand his desire to go up the pecking order a bit.

SuperDuper
Club Player

I like Ray.. but if he wants to go.. then GET GYSBERTS..... and then use 13 on another KPP (one of Stringer, Janksch, Plowman and Shaw will be available)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
will back into it too
good courage

He signed the end of last year, for dogs biscuits....and can't really get a game.

I want him to stay, but understand his desire to go up the pecking order a bit.

My guess would be 200K. Bloody expensive dog biscuits.