Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

Re: Tom Lee Traded for our pick 12

Devilhead wrote:
|Andy| wrote: I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.
Do you sincerely think that they would be stupid enough to do that??
No I don't, but it was in response to another poster that suggested that is what could've happened. Maybe reading the full quote would give you some context as to what I was really saying.

SuperDuper
Club Player

that's making the assumption that a pick 12 is worth 2 second round draft picks and a third round
No it is not. It is making the assumption that pick 12 is worth tom Lee + a second round draft pick + a 3rd round draft pick.

there is a big difference between trading a general 2nd rounder, where the club do not know who would be available.. and actually getting a player your club wants.
Tom Lee may have not made it to the second round, or may have gone early 2nd round and not made it to the saints 2nd round choice

|Andy|
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:
that's making the assumption that a pick 12 is worth 2 second round draft picks and a third round
No it is not. It is making the assumption that pick 12 is worth tom Lee + a second round draft pick + a 3rd round draft pick.

there is a big difference between trading a general 2nd rounder, where the club do not know who would be available.. and actually getting a player your club wants.
Tom Lee may have not made it to the second round, or may have gone early 2nd round and not made it to the saints 2nd round choice
Maybe, but I was working under the assumption that the club ranked him as around a second round draft pick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty content with our trade and have high hopes for Tom Lee now. But it was suggested that we spent our first round on him instead of our second round so that we could gain another second round + third round to use as a bargaining chip. And I'm just questioning whether it was worth it, instead of just sending our second round to GWS (assuming Saints think that he's worth there abouts).

SuperDuper
Club Player

GWS would have no interest in our 2nd rounder.. they would not even use it.. that is why this is a clever trade IMO, because GWS dont really want their 2nd or 3rd rounders, so Pelchin saw an opportunity to get both of them.... creating win-win situations is good practice... we will need those later picks in our attempts to get Brown and Hickey (although again, later picks are not attractive to GC..... so i think the Hickey trade is complicated)..... and I would also suggest the club rates him higher than selection 36 or whatever our 2nd rounder is...,

|Andy|
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:GWS would have no interest in our 2nd rounder.. they would not even use it.. that is why this is a clever trade IMO, because GWS dont really want their 2nd or 3rd rounders, so Pelchin saw an opportunity to get both of them.... creating win-win situations is good practice... we will need those later picks in our attempts to get Brown and Hickey (although again, later picks are not attractive to GC..... so i think the Hickey trade is complicated)..... and I would also suggest the club rates him higher than selection 36 or whatever our 2nd rounder is...,
I agree with you on this, and it definitely makes more sense rather than suggestions we used our first rounder because another club was going to. I hate losing first rounders but I guess we'll see if it was worth it with more time.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
|Andy| wrote: I sincerely hope that they recruited Tom Lee on his merits and not on what another Club was about to do. If they thought he wasn't worth more than a 2nd rounder and recruited him on the basis that they thought Carlton would get him first, then I would've preferred they let him go to Carlton.

I think they would do it because they rate him highly not just because they thought someone else might get him. If they thought there is a gun forward that might not last until pick 12 in the draft because they rate him it might inspire some tricks to get him first. I would guess someone at WAFL level has told Watters or micale that they have a gun kid who is worth getting as a first rounder and they have made it happen. I like the fact that Pelchens team seems to conjure trades from nowhere but gets them right most times.
Wasn't McPhee his coach at Claremont in 2011?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Wasn't McPhee his coach at Claremont in 2011?

Yep

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/st ... 6490784785

The kid seems like he has put in the work and earnt another crack at the big league. He was going to be in the mix and a lot of good judges wouldn't have been surprised if he he went anywhere from pick 11 to pick 20. The fact that we get the extra picks is a bonus

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... screening/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... nal-berth/

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=148251

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
saintbob wrote:Any video footage???
Yes
http://www.saints.com.au/multimedia/tab ... fault.aspx

and

:D :D
Where did this come from? I haven't seen any of the media outlets mention this. He also has a Port power footy under his arm.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i like this decision

seems committed
seems able
touted as a decent future forward

slipped under the radar a bit this one huh
no one on here even had a sniff about this trade

re caddy
i think he'll end up at the catters with them using that ablett compo pick they still have up their sleeve

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Devilhead wrote:
suss wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

How did we waste the first pick?

Goddard was going to go to a club like Essendon, rather than the one we'd have wanted him to go to for a trade, so we got the best we could have there, Rolls or not.

Tom Lee plus the pick that could get us Mitch Brown or another very decent kid is not a waste of a first round draft pick. He couldn't cut it first time round, big deal. Not everyone is a gun kid. We aren't drafting him as a kid. Loads of players don't do much for the first few years, do you really want a list? Lee is exactly the type of player that we will need when Roo/Kosi retires if he achieves his potential - risky yes, but definitely no waste. Who he reminds you of is irrelevant. Key Forwards don't fall into our lap very often; the last two we got came from Pick 1 and 2 of the same draft, and we will hopefully never in the position to be getting picks that juicy again, if you see what I mean. Yes, we got it wrong with Watts, same as Winmar and Clarke, (Too bloody sentimental with the family connection), That doesn't mean we are getting it wrong here. I trust Pelchen.
I'm not saying it is a waste, I'm just saying that having two high drafts picks doesn't, logically at least, justify taking an unnecessary risk with one simply because you have another. Each pick should be valued on it's merits. It sounds like people are happy to make a speculative trade because at least we'll get one gun. That is some seriously crazy logic.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
It is just as much an unnecessary risk taking an untried 18 year old with pick 12 - one who probably wont be ready for senior football for another 3 years

Instead of getting an untried 18 year old (who wont be ready to go for another 3 years) we are now getting a fast improving 21 year old KPP + pick 24 (1st pick in Round 2) + pick 43 (1st pick in Round 3)
Exactly, we needed to fill age gaps in our list, it is in preperation for the here and now and hopefully means we don't slide down the ladder further. With this kid we should still remain a highly competitive team.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:we will need those later picks in our attempts to get Brown and Hickey (although again, later picks are not attractive to GC.....
Actually, GCS currently have 25, 44, 81, 99, as they've traded out of the first round. They have to use three picks one way or the other, so they may well end up with a couple of live second round picks.

SuperDuper
Club Player

They have to use three picks
Does that include the mini draft? They have pick 1 in that. And will get a high pick for Caddy
So 1 (minidraft) + Caddy Pick + 25

If they only plan using 3 picks... then 24 is not very attractive

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Does that include the mini draft? They have pick 1 in that. And will get a high pick for Caddy
Hm, good question. I'd say no as Martin can't play in 2013, but I don't know what the official ruling is. As you say, if it is counted then second round picks get rapidly less attractive to them. If not then 24 might get something done.

bakes
Club Player

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I want to know whether Hickey is currently under contract with GC?
If not, he can walk to us in the PSD can't he?

elvis lives
Club Player

FWIW. in the short interview with Tom Lee on the AFL website, he mentioned his surprise at the pick/s that were given up for him. though he would be picked up for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Said the Saints' confidence in him gives him confidence he can make it worth the early pick.

I am marching in the Saints army
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
So 1 (minidraft) + Caddy Pick + 25

If they only plan using 3 picks... then 24 is not very attractive

they will be doing lots of pick 24 for pick 25 and 32 kind of deals again to use up some they don't want to use but better their position in the order I think.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Welcome aboard Tom Lee !
As a big Rooey fan i often get anxious when i contemplate his age getting the better of him and Rooey not being able to will his body into yet another contest or sprint around the paddock. but
having the prospect of a genuine forward who can slot home the 6 pters. is quietly exciting. I say quietly as i don't let potential convince me that we have a new lockett, Gehrig or Rooey just yet.
We all like a footy fairytale and seeing a Saad or Milera or Wilkes make it at AFL level just helps some of us love the team all the more - fingers crossed that T.Lee can absorb everything that Watters, Laidley and the coaching crew can communicate to him and make a big splash at the Dome and MCG and make the fans turn up to see him in the red, black and white.

interesting days.
Go Tom Lee !
GO SAINTS !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He kicks like Bruce Lee

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Can the person who claimed Tom Lee was No 11 in the TAC Cup Future Stars draft provide a link to verify that? Ive just checked and hes not in the Top 20. Not a big issue that he isnt Im just curious where the info came from :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
noob
Club Player

give him frazzzers number.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:FWIW. in the short interview with Tom Lee on the AFL website, he mentioned his surprise at the pick/s that were given up for him. though he would be picked up for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Said the Saints' confidence in him gives him confidence he can make it worth the early pick.
Here's part of it as Fox Report
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/saints- ... 6148037583

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
saintbrat wrote: Image

:D :D
Where did this come from? I haven't seen any of the media outlets mention this. He also has a Port power footy under his arm.
Ben Roberts‏@ben_roberts411

Was always on the cards! @stkildafc #tommylee pic.twitter.com/dd6frSi0

Retweeted by St Kilda FC

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BelfastSaint
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Can the person who claimed Tom Lee was No 11 in the TAC Cup Future Stars draft provide a link to verify that? Ive just checked and hes not in the Top 20. Not a big issue that he isnt Im just curious where the info came from :-)
I didnt post this originally ... but here it is again ..
http://www.supercoachhq.com/14/post/201 ... draft.html

70s sainter
Club Player

I heard on the radio today that he played if freos intraclub game at the beginning of this year and kicked 6 goals on Zac Dawson.
Now that i think back i remember some wafl forward kicking a bag on dawson and i was rapt. That person was Tom Lee. It was too late to include him on anyones list at the time. I hope he does it twice more next year!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:I heard on the radio today that he played if freos intraclub game at the beginning of this year and kicked 6 goals on Zac Dawson.
Now that i think back i remember some wafl forward kicking a bag on dawson and i was rapt. That person was Tom Lee. It was too late to include him on anyones list at the time. I hope he does it twice more next year!!

Yeah i remember that, it had the Freo fans getting sick in their hands for a few days. Some nobody WAFL player wiped his face in it seemed to be the consensus. He is the kind of player that will be very hard to match up on he has that pace and sharp movement that is hard for tall backs to play on and he has the size and height to be a handful for the shorter guys. I just can't wait to get him into the NAB cup I've got a feeling he will be up and about straight away.