Saints Should Target Ben Jacobs from Port Before Caddy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Should Target Ben Jacobs from Port Before Caddy?

plugger66 wrote:
andrewg wrote:If anything he seems less trouble! Seriously Caddy seems a little precious to me, too far to drive to seafood, only wont to go to certain clubs, Jacob other other hand seems content to be a footballer.

I missed where he said it was to far to Seaford. Was that in the paper or on radio?
Didn't even know Josh loved his fish & chips that much :P

sax
Club Player

Ben Jacobs has confirmed he wants to return home to Melbourne to continue his AFL career. Full story: http://bit.ly/ST0pwP #AFLTrades

AFLNews ‏@AFLNewsInsider
Just to clarify it's Ben Jacobs. Yet to nominate a preferred destination.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
gringo
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Ben Jacobs has confirmed he wants to return home to Melbourne to continue his AFL career. Full story: http://bit.ly/ST0pwP #AFLTrades

AFLNews ‏@AFLNewsInsider
Just to clarify it's Ben Jacobs. Yet to nominate a preferred destination.

we should trade that little s*** Cripps there- he's no free agent and WCE don't want to play ball with us. It's on the way west so he can fly home and he'd play every game. Win win for us and port and stuff those WCE fools and the homesick Cripps. Cripps for Jacobs.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

we should go for jacobs now do it stkilda.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's looked alright as a half back flanker and took up a lot of the kick out duties at Port. I'm not sure he's what we're after and he's not a direct replacement for Cripps, who is more of a line-breaking outside mid who can kick goals. I suppose Jacobs could be a replacement for Goddard, obvisously as massive downgrade though. He'd probably cost us a pick around 30 too.

sax
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:He's looked alright as a half back flanker and took up a lot of the kick out duties at Port. I'm not sure he's what we're after and he's not a direct replacement for Cripps, who is more of a line-breaking outside mid who can kick goals. I suppose Jacobs could be a replacement for Goddard, obvisously as massive downgrade though. He'd probably cost us a pick around 30 too.

Pick 24 or 34 for Jacobs
pick 24 or 34 for Hickey
Cripps & 43 for Brown

C'mon Saints, get it done!

howlinwolf
Club Player

At least he's a left footer. We could do with a few more.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SuperDuper
Club Player

This could change completelly once Free Agency is over

For example:
Goddard compo (13) > Port adelaide
Jacobs+Pearce compo (23?) > st. kilda

then pearce compo > GC
Hickey+ later pick > st. kilda

I dont know how they rate Jacobs, but possibilities will open up

the AFL should get his Free Agency compo sorted!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
Old Mate wrote:He's looked alright as a half back flanker and took up a lot of the kick out duties at Port. I'm not sure he's what we're after and he's not a direct replacement for Cripps, who is more of a line-breaking outside mid who can kick goals. I suppose Jacobs could be a replacement for Goddard, obvisously as massive downgrade though. He'd probably cost us a pick around 30 too.

Pick 24 or 34 for Jacobs
pick 24 or 34 for Hickey
Cripps & 43 for Brown

C'mon Saints, get it done!
Would leave us with 13, 53 & 71 in the strongest draft for a long time… I hope we use 24 & 34 in the draft, I would prefer to see more Markworth/Newnes type-talent at the club…

matrix
Saintsational Legend

for some reason i thought he was another ruckman :shock: dont really (try to) watch many port games

anyone know his TOG from the last couple of years by any chance?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacobs is a 22 yo SANFL player on the fringe of the leageus biggest rabble?
I am happy getting him as he looks like he can play - but just think maybe he is only worth our pick 53?

sainters4eva
Club Player

He's only 20. Not 21 until early 2013.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Jacobs is a neat and tidy player. Nice left foot, can run and carry, and isn't too bad overhead. Would be a very shrewd pick up for the right price. He can find the ball too. I think that we could do with a few players around that 20-22 bracket who've spent a couple of years of development in the system and won't take so long to make the senior side.

The Saints are coming!
sax
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Jacobs is a 22 yo SANFL player on the fringe of the leageus biggest rabble?
I am happy getting him as he looks like he can play - but just think maybe he is only worth our pick 53?
He'll be 21 in January & was pick 16 in 2010. He has played 26 games in 2 years, averaging 16 disposals a game & if it wasn't for an injury set back, probably would have played at least half a dozen more this year.
You really think Port will give him up for 53? Don't think so!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

A couple of years ago Armo and steven were fringe players. You need to look into what their potential is not the output. The guys we draft are guys who have only played junior footy with a few getting state games. They are just still developing at this point. The average would be around 50 games or 4 years to make regular senior selection so if we draft this year we are looking at that next 5 years to challenge- by then GC and GWS should play in about the next 5 GFs. We are desperately grabbing mature talent to try a quick rebuild before we are out of the race for quite a while.

kimberly saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:A couple of years ago Armo and steven were fringe players. You need to look into what their potential is not the output. The guys we draft are guys who have only played junior footy with a few getting state games. They are just still developing at this point. The average would be around 50 games or 4 years to make regular senior selection so if we draft this year we are looking at that next 5 years to challenge- by then GC and GWS should play in about the next 5 GFs. We are desperately grabbing mature talent to try a quick rebuild before we are out of the race for quite a while.
id like to think we are grabbing older talent 20 22 etc to fill a gap so we dont get out of the race, be nice to think few these guys may turn into guns and we can build side around them in next 5 years with constructive recruiting...

but yes stinks to think gold coast and gws in all these grand finals in future years, bit luck we and other teams can poach sum there palyers

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:
gringo wrote:A couple of years ago Armo and steven were fringe players. You need to look into what their potential is not the output. The guys we draft are guys who have only played junior footy with a few getting state games. They are just still developing at this point. The average would be around 50 games or 4 years to make regular senior selection so if we draft this year we are looking at that next 5 years to challenge- by then GC and GWS should play in about the next 5 GFs. We are desperately grabbing mature talent to try a quick rebuild before we are out of the race for quite a while.
id like to think we are grabbing older talent 20 22 etc to fill a gap so we dont get out of the race, be nice to think few these guys may turn into guns and we can build side around them in next 5 years with constructive recruiting...

but yes stinks to think gold coast and gws in all these grand finals in future years, bit luck we and other teams can poach sum there palyers
they will be a talent pool with heaps leaving for opportunity but the ones they keep should keep them in the hunt for years. I just hope we can find some josh Kennedys etc that are wasted at other clubs and will just take off when we get them. I find it weird that players get written off because they are at a bottom club when in all likelyhood it is the crap clubs that have a pool of highly rated youngsters that want out. Complete lack of logic. A kid that came high in the draft that wants to go home is better than taking the slops from someone like Collingwood.

kimberly saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:
kimberly saint wrote:

they will be a talent pool with heaps leaving for opportunity but the ones they keep should keep them in the hunt for years. I just hope we can find some josh Kennedys etc that are wasted at other clubs and will just take off when we get them. I find it weird that players get written off because they are at a bottom club when in all likelyhood it is the crap clubs that have a pool of highly rated youngsters that want out. Complete lack of logic. A kid that came high in the draft that wants to go home is better than taking the slops from someone like Collingwood.

crack hore from kingscross would be better than collingwoods slops

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Classy, real classy. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lucasro
Club Player

Some people are overstating the potential impact of Jacobs-saw a fair bit of him in SA over 2 years and he has struggled to cement a position in a very ordinary side-mostly played across half back which doesn't appear to be a real area of need for Saints

westies1953
sax
Club Player

lucasro wrote:Some people are overstating the potential impact of Jacobs-saw a fair bit of him in SA over 2 years and he has struggled to cement a position in a very ordinary side-mostly played across half back which doesn't appear to be a real area of need for Saints
I watched him a fair bit too! You must of watched different games to what I did!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

sax wrote:
lucasro wrote:Some people are overstating the potential impact of Jacobs-saw a fair bit of him in SA over 2 years and he has struggled to cement a position in a very ordinary side-mostly played across half back which doesn't appear to be a real area of need for Saints
I watched him a fair bit too! You must of watched different games to what I did!
I reckon we should offer whatever we get for Ray... Late second rounder should do it. Remember he was pick 16 in a compromised draft, so push that 16 out to 26 I'd say when recruited. He was recruited when GC got all their kids wasn't he?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
Well it will all come down to what games the St Kilda recruiting team have been watching.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
sax wrote:
Well it will all come down to what games the St Kilda recruiting team have been watching.
Does Jacobs offer more than Stevens? We are in talks with WC so I'd think it would be easier to get him over to us...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd take Jacobs but wouldn't give up pick 24 let alone pick 13. I don't see him being any/much better than Ross, Ledger or Curren in 2013 so he's not a priority, but would be a worthy addition to the list if cheap.