Ray looks set to stay!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

Ray looks set to stay!

Brief report today's Age
Farren Ray looks set to stay a Saint, according to his manager, Marty Pask

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ray looks set to stay!

starsign wrote:Brief report today's Age
Farren Ray looks set to stay a Saint, according to his manager, Marty Pask
Good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

that's good news

I love this club
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

good

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I still think we will trade him… he deserves to play senior footy consistently which might not happen with us… If we don't get hold of Brown and/or HIckey, they will probably try to use Ray to secure a KPD or back-up ruck I imagine.

However if we lose Goddard, Cripps, Peake & Clarke then our overabundance of back flankers has disappeared, so maybe Ray is needed?

SaintTom
Club Player

dragit wrote:I still think we will trade him… he deserves to play senior footy consistently which might not happen with us… If we don't get hold of Brown and/or HIckey, they will probably try to use Ray to secure a KPD or back-up ruck I imagine.

However if we lose Goddard, Cripps, Peake & Clarke then our overabundance of back flankers has disappeared, so maybe Ray is needed?
From what I read somewhere yesterday, that is what Pask said. That he's in the best 25, and after Goddard and Cripps leaving, and with what he believes (and I tend to agree) was good form in many of his 2012 games, he should get more regular games.

I hope he does stay, I think he's a really worthwhile player. I don't see the same as other people though, because I don't see him have too many terrible games, and I actually think he's a pretty reasonable kick.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think that was just Marty PASK's way of saying to Melbourne that he wants more $$$ to move across !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Stay, Ray !

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

hope he stays

#1 Ryder fan
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: he deserves to play senior footy consistently
with st kilda

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
with st kilda
well not necessarily, if we are re-building (which I think we are) then we may be better off getting games into Newnes, Dunell, Siposs, Milera & Simpkin

Ray is behind Geary, Gwilt, Dempster, Fisher & Gilbert for mine… which only leaves one backline spot, plus we are looking for a full back… Gram seems to be a wingman these days.

I like Ray too, but he just might get more opportunities at another club unfortunately.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
with st kilda
well not necessarily, if we are re-building (which I think we are) then we may be better off getting games into Newnes, Dunell, Siposs, Milera & Simpkin.
I disagree, as I've said repeatedly on another thread.

We should play our best available team every week next season unless/until we cannot mathematically make the finals.

Then, and only then, is it time to give young players games at the expense of seasoned professionals such as Farren.

If there is someone who can come in and consistently do it better then that's fine.

I'm not convinced that we ought to be conceding next season as a "rebuilding" year.

A bit of tweaking, the addition of a forward like Lee and perhaps a tighter defence helped by the addition of a big defender and we might be right in the mix.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 16 Oct 2012 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
with st kilda
well not necessarily, if we are re-building (which I think we are) then we may be better off getting games into Newnes, Dunell, Siposs, Milera & Simpkin

Ray is behind Geary, Gwilt, Dempster, Fisher & Gilbert for mine… which only leaves one backline spot, plus we are looking for a full back… Gram seems to be a wingman these days.

I like Ray too, but he just might get more opportunities at another club unfortunately.
There will probably be a heap of retirees over the next couple of years (maybe 8 or so ?) at which point Ray (presuming we are wise enough to keep him) will only be 28 or 29 and around to help out the kids as they develop.

Meanwhile the mighty Hawks included Paupolo in every match this year and have recruited a player that everyone thought was past it - Lake - whilst we struggle to find a spot for a good player like Ray ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:…untill we cannot mathematically make the finals.

Then, and only then, is it time to give young players games at the expense of seasoned professionals such as Farren.

If there is someone who can come in and consistently do it better then that's fine.

I'm not convinced that we ought to be conceding next season as a "rebuilding" year.
No worries, we can disagree here…

You obviously don't think we have a cataclysmic lack of experience in our under 25 year old players like I do.

After a long period of top 4 "success" we've just finished 9th after a great draw and very little injuries, our best 6-7 players average age is around 31, logic would suggest we are probably not going to be the best side next year.

We can still aim for finals next year as well get experience into our younger players, however if we wait until our stars have all retired before playing more younger guys, our longer term outlook will be very painful IMO.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:There will probably be a heap of retirees over the next couple of years (maybe 8 or so ?) at which point Ray (presuming we are wise enough to keep him) will only be 28 or 29 and around to help out the kids as they develop.

Meanwhile the mighty Hawks included Paupolo in every match this year and have recruited a player that everyone thought was past it - Lake - whilst we struggle to find a spot for a good player like Ray ?
Farren will be 27 at the beginning of next season, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to wait a year or two to get regular games… that is why he is asking to be traded.

I'm sure we would be happy to keep him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:There will probably be a heap of retirees over the next couple of years (maybe 8 or so ?) at which point Ray (presuming we are wise enough to keep him) will only be 28 or 29 and around to help out the kids as they develop.

Farren will be 27 at the beginning of next season, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to wait a year or two to get regular games… that is why he is asking to be traded.

But the point is Paupolo, who is an average footballer, gets games for the mighty Hawks - whilst Ray is being overlooked ? Lake will be 31 next year (February) - everyone thought he was past it - the mighty Hawks thought otherwise.
Why is Ray being overlooked? We are beggars behaving like choosers.
The mighty Hawks would have valued someone like Ray.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:But the point is Paupolo, who is an average footballer, gets games for the mighty Hawks - whilst Ray is being overlooked ? Lake will be 31 next year (February) - everyone thought he was past it - the mighty Hawks thought otherwise.
Not sure what Hawthorn has to do with anything?

Hawthorn finished on top of the ladder, will be flag favourites next year, they are in a completely different position to us who would have the most inexperienced group of under 25 players in the league, easily.

Lake fills a need, dual AA key backman.

If we were realistically challenging for a flag next year - like Hawthorn, then Ray would be kept, no doubt at all.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:But the point is Paupolo, who is an average footballer, gets games for the mighty Hawks - whilst Ray is being overlooked ? Lake will be 31 next year (February) - everyone thought he was past it - the mighty Hawks thought otherwise.
Not sure what Hawthorn has to do with anything?

Hawthorn finished on top of the ladder, will be flag favourites next year, they are in a completely different position to us who would have the most inexperienced group of under 25 players in the league, easily.

Lake fills a need, dual AA key backman.

If we were realistically challenging for a flag next year - like Hawthorn, then Ray would be kept, no doubt at all.
Maybe a good, solid player like Ray shouldn't even be considered a fringe player ?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Maybe a good, solid player like Ray shouldn't even be considered a fringe player ?
What's his position? Who does he get a game ahead of? I can't find an obvious spot for him in my best Saints 22 so he's always going to be a fringe player for mine.

creepypolar
Club Player

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:

But the point is Paupolo, who is an average footballer, gets games for the mighty Hawks - whilst Ray is being overlooked ? Lake will be 31 next year (February) - everyone thought he was past it - the mighty Hawks thought otherwise.
no offence, buddy but calling them the mighty hawks seriously irks me. :evil:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

WinnersOnly wrote:I think that was just Marty PASK's way of saying to Melbourne that he wants more $$$ to move across !
or maybe there was no real interest from melbourne anyway...

Seeya
spert
Saintsational Legend

If Ray stays, then it will be interesting to see what position he gets, as the midfield and onball group just played in their comfort zones this season apart from Lenny who busted his gut, so to me, lots of those positions are up for grabs, and Steven and Armo need to get some kind of consistancy in their games for 2013. I wouldn't mind seeing Ray on a HFF with his experience as I think we just need a lttle bit more down there.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If Ray stays with no guarantees of getting a spot in the starting lineup, well my opinion of him will go up even more.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If Ray stays with no guarantees of getting a spot in the starting lineup, well my opinion of him will go up even more.
He's contracted though, so he can't move unless we deal…

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:

Why do you mention a player that plays in a tiotally different position to Ray and try to compare them. I reckon there are some ordinary ruckmen getting games and Ray isnt. Not relevant at all though. If Milne is out injured we wouldnt be looking at Ray to replace him.