Experience & depth under 26

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Experience & depth under 26

Hey everyone,
Just wondering how far back we are for depth in players under 26,

I looked at a couple which is a bit alarming, but if anyone is interested in adding to the list that would be great

I've gone off this years list, players who end this year 25 and under,

Here's the three I looked at…

Saints
19 players
389 games
20 games average

Freo
27 players
926 games
34 games average

Carlton
1460 games
45 games average

For me it really highlights why we need to endure some short term pain or face a very bleak period in a few years time where we could be completely uncompetitive.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Experience & depth under 26

We should take a leaf out of the Bulldogs book. They off loaded Brian Lake this year. Next year he is eligible for restricted trade. Maybe we should look at our 8- 9 year players, and try for one of GWS top 4 picks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We should take a leaf out of the Bulldogs book. They off loaded Brian Lake this year. Next year he is eligible for restricted trade. Maybe we should look at our 8- 9 year players, and try for one of GWS top 4 picks.
Yes, well I think we should either tie up guys like Dal or deal them now, rather than wait for another Free Agency swoop, you can bet that the dollars will come for him at the end of next year from a club on the cusp.

We have to get smarter with players approaching FA.

Apart from him though, can't see any huge offers coming in for players.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I think we forget the past too quickly when we look to the future.

Carlton have played four finals in the last nine seasons, Freo seven. We've played 17 including three Grand Finals. They SHOULD be in a better position than us when it comes to youth. We've haven't finished below 9th for over ten years, makes drafting stars a little more difficult.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:I think we forget the past too quickly when we look to the future.

Carlton have played four finals in the last nine seasons, Freo seven. We've played 17 including three Grand Finals. They SHOULD be in a better position than us when it comes to youth. We've haven't finished below 9th for over ten years, makes drafting stars a little more difficult.
Well unfortunately we can't afford to bask in the past without a premiership…
At any rate, we are a long way behind the last 3 premiers, Sydney have a similar amount of under 26 players to us, but have twice as many games into them, but the Pies and Cats both have 13 more players in this bracket with the Pies having an unbelievable 50 game average for under 26ers…

collingwood
32 players
1613 games
50 Ave

Geelong
32 players
662 Games
20 Ave

Sydney
23 players
933 Games
40 Ave

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree - but the past should be irrelevant for making decisions today.
What is the best for the club looking fwd? Because we were good 3 years ago does that mean we should be content being a nice retirement village for guys in their twilight? Its a tough business and you have look fwd not rest on past (almost) glories. The competition will not have any mercy on us in 2 or 3 years time when our stars are all gone.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Agree - but the past should be irrelevant for making decisions today.
What is the best for the club looking fwd? Because we were good 3 years ago does that mean we should be content being a nice retirement village for guys in their twilight? Its a tough business and you have look fwd not rest on past (almost) glories. The competition will not have any mercy on us in 2 or 3 years time when our stars are all gone.
I agree- it is really is dog eat dog, and we can hold on to players on their past merits which means we stand still effectively, or get a rebuild across the lines happening ASAP so we can win that next bloody flag!

CarlD
Club Player

For what is was worth Terry Wallace gave a quite scathing appraisal on AFL Trade Radio of the Saints' list management practices (more so in the Ross Lyon years). He thought St. Kilda would not make the 8 next year and would then "fall off a cliff" (as the Bulldogs have this year) in 2014.

Not sure I agree with the total gloom and doom but it does mean that the heat is on Chris Pelchen and the recruiters to manage the list so that we remain competitive.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ia that multiple b
flag-winning coach Wallace?
The previous wonder-coach/media love child to Lyon?
Or the selfish footballer not rated/liked by most of his ex team mates?

Yaysaints
Club Player

Insults aside I think he is right.
We have lost bj, next year Lenny and kosi , then Milne, fish
Roo , dal, etc.
trade for gws pick two and three or risk being non competitive
For a decade.