Rumour Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rumour Thread

Dr Spaceman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Was'nt Jody Arnol from S.A.?
Pretty sure it was Tassie.
BB you may be thinking of Milan Faletic

saint4life
Bardon Saint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Over the years we have had most success with our Tassie recruits. I would like to see more Tassy and N.T. recruiting by the Saints.
How's our recent NT recruiting? :?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bardon Saint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Over the years we have had most success with our Tassie recruits. I would like to see more Tassy and N.T. recruiting by the Saints.
Rossy T and the Clarke brothers. All had/have enormous talent, but sadly at least two, and arguably all three, don't have bodies that can weather AFL footy. :(

We should have recruited DesertSaint, but he was (and apparently still is) plotting the shifting of Canberra to Alice. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:
Rossy T and the Clarke brothers. All had/have enormous talent, but sadly at least two, and arguably all three, don't have bodies that can weather AFL footy. :(

We should have recruited DesertSaint, but he was (and apparently still is) plotting the shifting of Canberra to Alice. 8-)

I think you will find NT stands for no tatts so Grammy is gone this year.

SuperDuper
Club Player

If Dennis-lane is testing with us I agree it must indicate Milera to port. Port have a lot of 2nd rounders. 2 extras from FA compo and something from North for Jacobs. Saints may see D-L as a replacement with an upgrade of draft Order via port. They would only do it if they think they need that lower pick

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:If Dennis-lane is testing with us I agree it must indicate Milera to port. Port have a lot of 2nd rounders. 2 extras from FA compo and something from North for Jacobs. Saints may see D-L as a replacement with an upgrade of draft Order via port. They would only do it if they think they need that lower pick
I wont be happy with D-L, thats a step backwards imo. Noone really knows butbecause its accumulated compo, Port will probably just get the one pick, maybe end of first round, hopefully not tier one. I think thats why very few trades have been done with the lower end of the picks, this wait to see what we actually have is excrutiating...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:If Dennis-lane is testing with us I agree it must indicate Milera to port. Port have a lot of 2nd rounders. 2 extras from FA compo and something from North for Jacobs. Saints may see D-L as a replacement with an upgrade of draft Order via port. They would only do it if they think they need that lower pick
I wont be happy with D-L, thats a step backwards imo. Noone really knows butbecause its accumulated compo, Port will probably just get the one pick, maybe end of first round, hopefully not tier one. I think thats why very few trades have been done with the lower end of the picks, this wait to see what we actually have is excrutiating...
Pretty sure it's one pick per player, not accumulated into a super pick

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
"It will be one draft pick for every player lost to free agency"

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Pretty sure it's one pick per player, not accumulated into a super pick

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
"It will be one draft pick for every player lost to free agency"
I stand corrected. I guess thats why noone has swapped low picks for players like Stevens as pick 40 could be closer to 50 by the end of FA...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Movement on the trade fron starting again. Reported that Geelong have picked up Rivers as a FA, and have got McIntosh from North (no details of the trade yet). That would probably see them unloading one or both of Brown and Gillies and maybe why we are reported as being into Gillies. Although I don't know much of Gillies, at 192 cm and around 90kg's, I can't say he inspires great confidence in me, based purely on physical dimensions. Would much rather Martin from the Dees. Bigger and more postional flexibility.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
sax
Club Player

Jay Clark from the Herald Sun dropped a rumour that GWS want Sam Fisher & are willing to give pick 2 for him. Thoughts?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Jay Clark from the Herald Sun dropped a rumour that GWS want Sam Fisher & are willing to give pick 2 for him. Thoughts?

Done.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Jay Clark from the Herald Sun dropped a rumour that GWS want Sam Fisher & are willing to give pick 2 for him. Thoughts?
It is tempting however I have far too much respect for Sam Fisher to ever consider trading him. Great club man, great bloke and a club legend. F*** that.

SaintTom
Club Player

I would be against it for emotional reasons. Haven't had enough time to weigh it up, but it's potentially the case that he's not part of our next premiership, and pick 2 doesn't come around all that often. On top of that, he hasn't exactly come of his best year ever. I suppose I would only do it if we had someone in the draft who we absolutely knew we could only get with pick 2 and was that amazing we couldn't pass it up.

Don't see it happening though, and personally, I wouldn't do it.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

So not are we only going to miss out on gaining a key back, which we seemingly need desperately, but we are also going to part with our best defender in general (by a mile), and the gaping hole in defence will now be the size of the Grand Canyon.

I wouldn't do this deal... Fisher is far too good and important IMO... I have so much love for him..

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

No - you would have to ask for a second first rounder, or DOm Tyson and pick 2 or something. That would be both our "quarterback" types in BJ and Chips gone, plus we would be back where we started on height in the back half.

I'd be prepared to do a trade for him, but a single first rounder simply isn't worth it. Pick 2 and 3, or pick 2 and Tyson (or someone of similar ilk) and i would think about it.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
sax
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
No - you would have to ask for a second first rounder, or DOm Tyson and pick 2 or something. That would be both our "quarterback" types in BJ and Chips gone, plus we would be back where we started on height in the back half.

I'd be prepared to do a trade for him, but a single first rounder simply isn't worth it. Pick 2 and 3, or pick 2 and Tyson (or someone of similar ilk) and i would think about it.
I'd take it!

As much as I love Chips, he's 30!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Legendary
Club Player

Not enough - even though he's 30 he started late, and will have 3-4 years left IMO.

I would want pick #2 + a genuine key defender aged under 25 (e.g. Talia, Frawley etc.). I know that seems extreme, but he's worth an enormous amount to us over the next 3-4 years.

He's 2 x AA and B&F winner and still has some excellent footy left in him.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 2 & 12 would be very tempting.

It's a sad fact of where we are currently at that the opportunity to trade our long time stars must be considered. We all hate the thought of blokes like Chips in other colours but I suppose you must ask if it is in the long term interests of the club? In two years time when Chips is retired & we potentially have a 20 year old Jimmy Toumpas or Jake Stringer playing their 30th games.... well it might be worth the short term pain to get the absolute creme of this year's young talent.

Personally I think we should offer Montagna & Gilbert but if Chips gets us a top 2 pick & maybe our pick 12 back it would be an outstanding result.

jays
Club Player

id take it

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Pick 2 & 12 would be very tempting.
Where do we sign???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Yes. We have Dempster, Gwilt, Gilbert and Simkin who can play the same role.

Dont get me wrong, Sam is a great player and AA, but we need a gorilla in the backline and #2 for him would be a great result.

think it is tosh though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
paddy
Club Player

pity its not another melbourne based club, unfortunately he would have to agree to the trade, and cant see him wanting to move to western sydney...

gosaints
Club Player

We would have to be out of our minds to knock that back.
You just don't get a top two pick for a 30 year old.

Love Sammy Fisher but if that was offered we'd bite their hands off.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Devilhead wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Pick 2 & 12 would be very tempting.
Where do we sign???
Playing along with the rumour...
... and also assuming it would include a hefty pay rise for Chips to finish his career on...
then a deal along these lines for any 30 year old footballer (Rob Harvey and Vic Cumberland aside) would be too good to knock back...
... a complete no-brainer!

But, this is Chips, who has been and is a great player for us. He has also been and is very loyal. Re-commits to the club without any contractual stuffing around... and for far less than he could command elsewhere.

If I was the club, I'd take Chips aside, and emphatically reaffirm the theme of the preceeding paragraph to him. I'd then add that if it were pretty much any other player on the list we'd (almost) automatically take the deal.

But in Chip's case... it's totally your call mate, as we feel that you have more than earnt that right. Go away and have a think...

If you decide yes, you go with our blessings, best wishes and eternal gratitude for your career at this club. You are always a Saint, and we view any twighlight years at the Wogans as superannuation for you. Make damn sure that you know that you are always welcome through the doors of this club!!!

If you say no, then that's the end of it. Sure, maybe we loose some picks in the lottery, but we ver happily keep your experience, your example, your mentoring and so much more as well at this club.

Maybe it's a good thing that I too am not a list manager...?
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Thu 18 Oct 2012 4:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Would be silly not to take that. But I have extreme doubt that the offer is real. Perhaps #2 for Chips and 13.

In which case I would still take it.