Singled out again?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Singled out again?

It seems that when ever the rules are changed it seems to be particularly adverse to us, the AFL have changed the goal kicking time back down to 30 seconds and will police it harder next season. The article singles out Ahmed Saad for his long routine and the AFL is asking teams to work on speeding it up. Clarkson blames the poor current conversion rate on the hurry up. Will it have more effect on us because we have a few that do the slow build up?

we also seem to have been one of three clubs that copped the wrong end of the stick from the Free agency period with no incentive to get players in when it could cause an unfair penalty while teams like Collingwood seem to have an open checkbook and unlimited cap It also seems we didn't have a solid trade position because of the way free agency over lapped the trade period with out giving an indication of what we would receive.

for me I wish we could leave the rules alone and have one year when they didn't meddle in stuff that is of little concern, the umps can't seem to administer the rules we already have let alone adding some more.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

oh when the
Club Player

Re: Singled out again?

Does not the count stop once he starts the
Runup

wally
Club Player

that is how it was,sonds like its play on after 30 seconds full stop.
Matthew Lloyd took longer.

savatage
SS Life Member

Buddy's natural "arc" will still be allowed right?

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: for me I wish we could leave the rules alone and have one year when they didn't meddle in stuff that is of little concern, the umps can't seem to administer the rules we already have let alone adding some more.
This.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't see the problem in correcting this rule. It obviously wasn't working as intended. The rule was brought in to prevent time wasting. Saad's routine was wasting time. He was getting booed every set shot by the end of the year. Other than Lloyd, I can't remember a player getting booed for their set shot routine. It doesn't surprise me at all that they're changing the rule again - specifically because of Saad.

The rule change that baffles me is the fascination with the interchange. First the too many men on the field change, then the sub and now supposedly interchange caps. I'm not even sure what they're trying to achieve. If it's injury prevention, then that's pretty much a bust. If it's a decrease in congestion, then I'm failing to see the link. I know interchange numbers have been on the up for some time, but at the same time, I don't understand how that's a problem. The AFL are amazingly secretive with their data, which makes me question whether they have any at all. Perhaps we can't handle the truth. All I know is that the interchange is a far more complicated place than it was five to ten years ago and I don't see the game being better for it.

The game could do without Ahmed Saad's run up though. And rushed behinds. Pity they didn't get that change right either.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
gringo wrote: for me I wish we could leave the rules alone and have one year when they didn't meddle in stuff that is of little concern, the umps can't seem to administer the rules we already have let alone adding some more.
This.

Everyone says that but most rule changes are good for the game. Wouldnt it be great without a centre square and you could kick it out on the full all the time. Or role the ball along ground as slowly as you like after a free kick.

paddy
Club Player

I guess it makes sense, a bit annoying that our most accurate set shot may lose his magic though.

As far as caping interchange, I get the idea but if they want to stop 36 players in one 50m arc, then they are going to have to put in netball zones....

otherwise just run with it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:that is how it was,sonds like its play on after 30 seconds full stop.
Matthew Lloyd took longer.
Fred Fanning probably did too. What's your point?

bergsone
SS Life Member

imo Saad should be able to adapt his run up,and still be very accurate

But do agree,too many rule changes

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If Saad didn't wear our jumper we'd probably all think this was a pretty good rule change.

He'll adapt.

MrCordz
Club Player

gringo wrote:It seems that when ever the rules are changed it seems to be particularly adverse to us, the AFL have changed the goal kicking time back down to 30 seconds and will police it harder next season. The article singles out Ahmed Saad for his long routine and the AFL is asking teams to work on speeding it up. Clarkson blames the poor current conversion rate on the hurry up. Will it have more effect on us because we have a few that do the slow build up?

we also seem to have been one of three clubs that copped the wrong end of the stick from the Free agency period with no incentive to get players in when it could cause an unfair penalty while teams like Collingwood seem to have an open checkbook and unlimited cap It also seems we didn't have a solid trade position because of the way free agency over lapped the trade period with out giving an indication of what we would receive.

for me I wish we could leave the rules alone and have one year when they didn't meddle in stuff that is of little concern, the umps can't seem to administer the rules we already have let alone adding some more.

I have the same feeling - After Goddard - no one else will wait till 2 weeks into the trade period to receive compensatioln picks. After Baker no one will cop 13 weeks for an incident no on saw. After siren gate, no team will lose a match 3 days after the event. After our 6 wooden spoons in the 80's and 90's no team would ever finish on the bottom without being duly compensated with high draft picks. I could go on!!

Humbly St. Kilda
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:
gringo wrote:It seems that when ever the rules are changed it seems to be particularly adverse to us, the AFL have changed the goal kicking time back down to 30 seconds and will police it harder next season. The article singles out Ahmed Saad for his long routine and the AFL is asking teams to work on speeding it up. Clarkson blames the poor current conversion rate on the hurry up. Will it have more effect on us because we have a few that do the slow build up?

I have the same feeling - After Goddard - no one else will wait till 2 weeks into the trade period to receive compensatioln picks. After Baker no one will cop 13 weeks for an incident no on saw. After siren gate, no team will lose a match 3 days after the event. After our 6 wooden spoons in the 80's and 90's no team would ever finish on the bottom without being duly compensated with high draft picks. I could go on!!

Yes poor us. When did Bakes get 13 weeks for something no one saw?

MrCordz
Club Player

THe Jeff Farmer incident - (maybe it was 7 but 13 sounded better)

Humbly St. Kilda
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:THe Jeff Farmer incident - (maybe it was 7 but 13 sounded better)

Thats right got seven for Farmer running into the back of him.

Also got 3 for being stomped by Allesio

Got about 12 for tapping Johnsons had a couple of times.

Also got weeks for "attempting" to punch (while the likes of Judd actually drew blood and Kerr punched a bloke in the balls twice and got nothing due to insufficent force).

But nah, the AFL weren't after Baker were they P66? :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
savatage wrote:
This.

Everyone says that but most rule changes are good for the game. Wouldnt it be great without a centre square and you could kick it out on the full all the time. Or role the ball along ground as slowly as you like after a free kick.

So everyone should have to wear a safety helmet when they drive their car because all rules are good rules. If we can't have helmets in cars all the rules should be dropped. If we can't have helmets we should drive drunk with no seat belts .....makes sense to me?

If it's already so complicated that it is "the hardest game in the world to umpire" why make the rules more complex so that even the players and umpires aren't clear on it. It's like some draconian eastern block government trying to legislate stuff just to show it's authority.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote:

Also got weeks for "attempting" to punch (while the likes of Judd actually drew blood and Kerr punched a bloke in the balls twice and got nothing due to insufficent force).

did you even bother watching baker's interview with sheahan?

Seeya
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

did you even bother watching baker's interview with sheahan?

Got nothing to do with it.

Nobody saw it, the Freo runner LIED that he saw it (should have been thrown out then and there) Farmer dodn't dob, Baker said all he did was stop in front on Farmer.
Absolute stich up.

And if you want to quote Sheahan interview, talk about 3 weeks for Alesio trying to brake his ankle, and weeks for attempting to punch. Baker said he was stiched up by the AFL.

So the question has to be asked - Did YOu even see the Sheahan interview :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote: So the question has to be asked - Did YOu even see the Sheahan interview :roll:
yeah i did and you can roll your eyes all you like
no one in their right mind who saw baker's performance in that interview could ever say he was stitched up
the guy was a thug, he started his career as a thug and it finished that way

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
savatage wrote:
This.

So everyone should have to wear a safety helmet when they drive their car because all rules are good rules. If we can't have helmets in cars all the rules should be dropped. If we can't have helmets we should drive drunk with no seat belts .....makes sense to me?

If it's already so complicated that it is "the hardest game in the world to umpire" why make the rules more complex so that even the players and umpires aren't clear on it. It's like some draconian eastern block government trying to legislate stuff just to show it's authority.

Why would you even argue about a rule by mentioning something that isnt a rule. Tell us all the bad rules please and not a generalisation statement that means jack.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why would you even argue about a rule by mentioning something that isnt a rule. Tell us all the bad rules please and not a generalisation statement that means jack.

Changing clear way times, excessive policing of speed cameras for revenue raising. Some safety flog actually was lobbying for helmets in cars by the way.

Why would you even argue when all you do is make stupid generalised statements in emotive ways?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Changing clear way times, excessive policing of speed cameras for revenue raising. Some safety flog actually was lobbying for helmets in cars by the way.

Why would you even argue when all you do is make stupid generalised statements in emotive ways?

Did you fail common sense? What are all the bad rules that have been put in place by the AFL? Really I shouldnt challenge you. it isnt fair o you. My dog should be the one. Woof woof.

Rosco
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
joffaboy wrote: So the question has to be asked - Did YOu even see the Sheahan interview :roll:
yeah i did and you can roll your eyes all you like
no one in their right mind who saw baker's performance in that interview could ever say he was stitched up
the guy was a thug, he started his career as a thug and it finished that way
but he was OUR thug

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Did you fail common sense? What are all the bad rules that have been put in place by the AFL? Really I shouldnt challenge you. it isnt fair o you. My dog should be the one. Woof woof.

Sorry but you've mistaken me for someone who gives a f***. I can't be bothered listing them all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Did you fail common sense? What are all the bad rules that have been put in place by the AFL? Really I shouldnt challenge you. it isnt fair o you. My dog should be the one. Woof woof.

Sorry but you've mistaken me for someone who gives a f***. I can't be bothered listing them all.

Yep good answer. Woof woof.