Brown Alive

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Brown Alive

This trade period gets you thinking...not always in a good way.Patience has never been a strong point for me. But i am beginning to seriously think we are in (still) with a very good chance of getting Mitch Brown. Clearly the St Kilda brains trust are chasing him hard and for good reasons. We desperately need a KPP in defence. Brown is a close quarter defender with an excellent spoil and likes to get in the face of his opponent. He also has good upper body strength and has been known to nullify the superstars like Buddy Franklin. So why do I think we can get him when the weagles have said no way? Here's why: WC are playing hard ball for the best deal but that doesn't mean no deal. Brown is contracted but only for a year. He will get minimum game time in 2013 and that's why he wants to leave. There seems to be an unwritten rule that when a player wants to leave and has nominated a rival club, every effort will be made to make it happen. What follows is the hard negotiations for oompensation. I think that is what is happening now and has been happening behind closed doors. I am sure the Saints started off by offering a straight swap of Cripps for Brown but WC probably want a couple of picks thrown in as well. it is in everyone's interests for WC to do the deal. They risk losing Brown for nothing in a year's time anyway and that can be a massive incentive.
Last edited by damienc on Sat 20 Oct 2012 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Re: Brown Alive

I'm just wondering if he would have the time to squeeze in a game or two for the Saints, in between designing his metrosexual t-shirts and media appearances .... not to mention he would probably need to get a bionic leg fitted to be even able to run around for a quarter or two ...

Rosco
Club Player

So you have no news but have a grasp of what everyone has acknowledged for about a week?

ace
Saintsational Legend

West Coast's draft picks just became 41, 61, 62, 81, 99, 117, 135
St Kilda has picks 13, 25, 37, 46, 57 , 77, 95, 113, 131
That's after the free agent compensation picks are added in.

West Coast has nothing of value to trade for Cripps other than players.
Even in a 3 way deal they would still have to trade a player to the third party to make them interested.
In that case Port Adelaide could be a third party with St Kilda chasing Ben Jacobs.
But who would be traded from West Coast to Port Adeliade.
No one wants to play for Port Adelaide.
Jacobs for one is sick of playing for these losers.
They are like St Kilda of the 1980s, players take to the field expecting to lose, club management that doesn't have clue.

Put simply Mitchell Brown would have to be part of any deal for Cripps and West Coast would probably like to get their hands on an earlier draft pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:So you have no news but have a grasp of what everyone has acknowledged for about a week?
That's about it

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like Deal stalled whilst eagles waiting until we definitely got #13 for BJ. Surely we aren't giving up #13 for Brown in a straight swap.

So could it be some super package involving #13 in exchange for Brown, Stevens, and WC picks ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
damienc
Club Player

Hang on. Everyone including his manager has been saying he can't go anywhere because he is contracted. I'm saying it is still happening. If you think I am stating the obvious so be it.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

If he does get traded I will take great delight in going across to Bigfooty and giving it those hundreds of arrogant WCE supporters that bagged us for trying to pick up their contracted player and were so adamant & cocky that he wouldn't be traded!

Go Saints !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

From the thread yesterday - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78409

To this one today.. Poster has slightly changed their tune..

A lot can change in 24 hours.. Lucky trade period isn't over yet..

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I doubt it will happen, simply because West Coast are in a much better position than we are.

They know that they might lose him next year for zero. However, they also might not. If he stays on their list this year, and then Glass or Mackenzie or Schofield gets injured, he could easily play fifteen games. They're on track to be in contention so he could play finals. And if that happens and the Saints finish well out of the eight, which is likely, then which club is a more attractive place to be?

He'd have to really hate Perth to leave a club that's in premiership contention for one which is well out of it for the foreseeable future.

So I reckon we have a very poor negotiating position, and as a result it won't happen for less than pick 13. And I think it would be a mistake to give up pick 13.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They want Cripps and rate him. They will have to give something to get something. I think it's still on too. If we were desperate we would have done a deal on Cripps/ stevens and then traded out to the Bulldogs. The fact is we think we can negotiate on this one. If he doesn't come to us I would look at Tanner Smith from Ballarat (Jaksche will be gone I think)-he's a couple of years off but he will be a decent backman long term and maybe even a really good one. Leaves us short in the backline next year at least but he would get a chance from day one. Otherwise just bite the bullet and elevate jackson Ferguson and play him there all year to learn on the job. It worked for Simpkin, we never saw him slotting in the back line so easily and he accounted for himself better than I imagined.

savatage
SS Life Member

I think what is patently obvious is that the club did not rate Stevens at all. If they really were interested a swap would've surely been arranged between Cripps & Stevens. If Brown screams loudly enough that he will leave at the end of next season & WCE then faces the prospect of losing him for nothing - then hopefully they crack towards the end of trade week. Despite what Craig Vozzo keeps saying - I Really think this could still happen. I would hope they don't expect us to pay overs for Brown.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

pick 25 plus JC.... west toast should be keen on that imo.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:pick 25 plus JC.... west toast should be keen on that imo.
that would be a massive win for WCE and wouldn't be my preference. A pick in the 30s and Cripps is heaps. They might get Rodda or something to develop in his role for the next few years until they need to replace Glass.

Cripps- first round pick with plenty of games already in him and looking good as a quick forward or rebound defender. Brown a tall player with a broken down body and a brother that looks pretty good at the Pies. It's pretty risky to give up the equivalent of 2 good picks for him.

savatage
SS Life Member

Agreed totally Gringo.

damienc
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:From the thread yesterday - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78409

To this one today.. Poster has slightly changed their tune..

A lot can change in 24 hours.. Lucky trade period isn't over yet..

Yep. You are right. Patience is not one of my strong points unlike your good self.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:pick 25 plus JC.... west toast should be keen on that imo.
that would be a massive win for WCE and wouldn't be my preference. A pick in the 30s and Cripps is heaps. They might get Rodda or something to develop in his role for the next few years until they need to replace Glass.

Cripps- first round pick with plenty of games already in him and looking good as a quick forward or rebound defender. Brown a tall player with a broken down body and a brother that looks pretty good at the Pies. It's pretty risky to give up the equivalent of 2 good picks for him.
While in essence I agree with you...a KPP is wortha lot more than a flanker.

We can cover Cripps easily enough with a number of options : Dunnell, Ledger, Milera, Markworth, Ross etc.....
WC may value Cripps, but would not be phased if they did not get him

But we really really lack another key defender that can play now.....we know that and WC know that. Cripps can alo just walk, and so that is areal issue for us too. so our bargaining position is weak. Only upside wold appear to be that Brown would struggle to play senior footy at WC next year given their options, and so Brown could walk in 1 months for free. So would be some value for them to geta deal done this year.

So unless Pelchen and Co have another FB in mind, we may well have to pay overs for him.

Will quite probably come down to the wire on Friday.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
While in essence I agree with you...a KPP is wortha lot more than a flanker.

We can cover Cripps easily enough with a number of options : Dunnell, Ledger, Milera, Markworth, Ross etc.....
WC may value Cripps, but would not be phased if they did not get him

But we really really lack another key defender that can play now.....we know that and WC know that. Cripps can alo just walk, and so that is areal issue for us too. so our bargaining position is weak. Only upside wold appear to be that Brown would struggle to play senior footy at WC next year given their options, and so Brown could walk in 1 months for free. So would be some value for them to geta deal done this year.

So unless Pelchen and Co have another FB in mind, we may well have to pay overs for him.

Will quite probably come down to the wire on Friday.
I know what your saying but the KPP wants to be a good one to give up a good flanker, at the end of the day he is only as good as his potential and his performances to date. So far he's been ok and he's at the age that significant improvement isn't that likely. i would do the deal but to me he doesn't have as much potential as Cripps for improvement and his performance to date hasn't been outstanding. I would say that he is the opposite to Dawson in that he can stand the really big guys but doesn't have the speed and agility that Zac had. I can see him being only an average but handy footballer but I could be wrong. He's the best of a very limited number of guys that are likely to move, doesn't mean we should pay overs.

MrCordz
Club Player

***STOP PRESS***

My brother is a mad sainter and just caught a plane back to Perth this morning where he lives - sat in business class next to guess who - Trevor Nisbett CEO of WCE. They chatted the whole flight about footy etc. When discussion came to Brown, Nisbett said "There's still a week to go in trading" clearly was leaving it open. When asked if they'd take pick 13, he said they'd probably want a little more than that. I can see us trading Cripps and pick 13 for Brown and pick 41.

Humbly St. Kilda
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: ***STOP PRESS***

MrCordz wrote: I can't see us trading Cripps and pick 13 for Brown and pick 41.
Edited for common sense

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
rexy
SS Life Member

Hope we have very good intel on his physical condition if we are considering 13 at all to be included! Brown type exactly what we need but hate to see us throw baby out with bath water!

Maybe this year?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

St.Kilda are off their rocker if they trade 13. Can't see it happening

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

ace wrote:West Coast's draft picks just became 41, 61, 62, 81, 99, 117, 135
St Kilda has picks 13, 25, 37, 46, 57 , 77, 95, 113, 131
That's after the free agent compensation picks are added in.

Trade Cripps for brown, and we give them pick 37 in exchange for 41, and 57 in exchange for 81, and 77 for free, so that it becomes:

Stkilda: picks 13, 25, 41, 46, 81, 95
West Coast: 37, 57, 61, 62, 77, 99

So they get a slight upgrade on their existing two highest picks plus an extra pick thrown in to their top 5. Also we previously had 3 picks before them in the draft, now we'd only have two.

Anything more than that and it's a loss for us.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
The Jeff
Club Player

From a list management perspective, they really do need to consider getting their hands on some earlier draft picks. Obviously they'd also be mad not to make room for Cripps. If giving up a Victorian 'back-up' defender who wants to go home is what it takes, they'd be crazy not to negotiate.

However; Pick 13 for Brown, is not on the table. Surely.

I still like Cripps and pick 37 for Brown. Overs or not, it would be worse to line up next year with a key deficiency that hurt us enough this year.

FQF
evo
Club Player

We cannot expect to keep picks 13 and 24 and pick up Brown, Hicky and any of the other half dozen or so we have been linked to. We still probably will upgrade Dunnel and go to the draft with 37, 46, 57 , 77 or so. There is little room on the list for more as it is, allowing for the loss of Cripps and Ray (a problem a few clubs are having this year)