Raph de-listed??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Raph de-listed??

Some disgraceful posts in this thread.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Decent footballer who has given heaps and a quality bloke, more than I can say for most of our s*** supporters. We are really becoming worse than even the Pies supporters these days. in our most successful era we have booed our players during winning games, derided half our list, then wondered why they don't have any loyalty to our team. the internet make dickheads feel tough as they can bag out anyone they like with out repercussions.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:If Ray leaves, I'd give Raph another year on a minimum contract. There's nothing wrong with having a couple of experienced guys running around at Sandy for depth.
Yeah there is. They take up a spot on the list which could have been used for a speculative kid.

If we hadn't signed Dean Polo two years ago - as "depth" - then we could have taken an extra player in the rookie draft. Jonathan Giles or Josh Jenkins? Joel Tippett, Cam Pedersen, Ed Curnow or Luke Dahlhaus? A few OK options there who would have been running around at Sandy for depth and then could actually have become players later.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

He's not the worst player, and hes nowhere near the best. but just not up to AFL standards. He has to go like it or not, we are already 1 man down next year with the re-signing of Kosi we cant afford to be 2.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:He's not the worst player, and hes nowhere near the best. but just not up to AFL standards. He has to go like it or not, we are already 1 man down next year with the re-signing of Kosi we cant afford to be 2.
You should use that for the cheer squad banner in round one.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Jeff
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
saintdooley wrote:He's not the worst player, and hes nowhere near the best. but just not up to AFL standards. He has to go like it or not, we are already 1 man down next year with the re-signing of Kosi we cant afford to be 2.
:D

Delist another one, just like the other one, axe. axe. axe. wooh!

Yeah, that chant is just as embarrassing as their regular stuff...

FQF
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Why am I such a baddy-bad if I dislike and have disliked Raph Clarke being around multiple years than what he should have?

His errors are awful and at times he struggles to kick the ball 15 meters to another player who is free in the back pocket.

I can understand the issue of him making mistakes compared to other players however Raph's mistakes are just so elementary they just botch whatever movement we have going on.

But he played a good second half of the Prelim in 09 right??

Spare me the Epilepsy bulls*** too, Raph Clarke would not use that as an excuse and neither should anyone else.

If he could not manage it remotely well then he would not be playing or the club would have told him not to via medical assistance.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The Jeff wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
:D

Delist another one, just like the other one, axe. axe. axe. wooh!

Yeah, that chant is just as embarrassing as their regular stuff...
The moustached middle-aged single women are getting cranky...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:
thanks for that K.

My memory of this game is hazy as I have never been more nervous at a football match and spent halftime pacing the concourse.

Was Raph injured early then came back on?
He was so significant that game, but as people can see in the dying moments he had so many crucial influences on the match.

People can whinge about a run down tackle in the first few minutes of the GF, but he was important to the Saints even getting there in the first place.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
St Chris wrote:If Ray leaves, I'd give Raph another year on a minimum contract. There's nothing wrong with having a couple of experienced guys running around at Sandy for depth.
Yeah there is. They take up a spot on the list which could have been used for a speculative kid.

If we hadn't signed Dean Polo two years ago - as "depth" - then we could have taken an extra player in the rookie draft. Jonathan Giles or Josh Jenkins? Joel Tippett, Cam Pedersen, Ed Curnow or Luke Dahlhaus? A few OK options there who would have been running around at Sandy for depth and then could actually have become players later.
Signed Polo last year didn't they?

Polo, Peake....

Gwilt was coming back from an ACL so personally I really don't think keeping Raph was foolish at all.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
ok.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saintersss
Club Player

Unfortunately as much as I try and tell myself, we are no longer vying for a premiership, therefore our 'depth' players should be kids. If an injury happens and someone needs to be replaced from the 22, I'd much rather an inexperienced kid than Raph. Although Raph will probably do a better job, the fact is we are in a developing stage and it's better a kid gets that game time rather than someone we know isn't part of the future.

Raph, tried his heart out, gave it his best, but unfortunately his time is up at the Saints. Hopefully he can get picked up by another club and give them some service.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Why is all the attention on Raph? Wny not C.J.? Or even Sam Gilbert who makes as many stuff ups as Raph ever did. Why is all the hatred poured out on Raph?

rexy
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Why is all the attention on Raph? Wny not C.J.? Or even Sam Gilbert who makes as many stuff ups as Raph ever did. Why is all the hatred poured out on Raph?
Early draft pick, high hopes, his highlights are more corageous acts than flashy brilliance?

I'm a Raph fan, don't like his chances of survival this time though, hope I'm wrong!

Maybe this year?
Scoop
Club Player

rexy wrote: I'm a Raph fan, don't like his chances of survival this time though, hope I'm wrong!
....will be delisted, unless a trade can be arranged this week....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Saintersss
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Why is all the attention on Raph? Wny not C.J.? Or even Sam Gilbert who makes as many stuff ups as Raph ever did. Why is all the hatred poured out on Raph?
Raph is out of contract and so far hasn't been offered a new contract, while Jones and Gilbert are contracted.

And I must be reading a different forum if Jones and Gilbert don't cop nearly as much as Raph. Plus the fact that both players are better than Raph.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote: Plus the fact that both players are better than Raph.
Indeed.

Gilbert had one year when he was arguably good enough to be AA....and CJ was for a time justifiably acknowledged as the best tagger in the game.

Raph has never been better than fringe.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Signed Polo last year didn't they?
In the 2010 draft, which is almost two full years ago.
SainterK wrote:Gwilt was coming back from an ACL so personally I really don't think keeping Raph was foolish at all.
Neither do I. However, every year we need spare spots on the list and this one is no different. One way or another we need to lose another couple of players, and at this point I think Blake is more valuable as a backup defender because he's a bit bigger and stronger than Raph.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Raph had his chances. Was good in some games, terrible in others. Seemed too slow on occasions for AFL football.

He was perservered with for longer than most because of his potential. Unfortunately it never eventualted the way it could have.

So I think it is time to go. Thanks for the efforts,which despite what small minded fools say, were always at 100%.

Cheers.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Solar
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Raph had his chances. Was good in some games, terrible in others. Seemed too slow on occasions for AFL football.

He was perservered with for longer than most because of his potential. Unfortunately it never eventualted the way it could have.

So I think it is time to go. Thanks for the efforts,which despite what small minded fools say, were always at 100%.

Cheers.
THIS

Thanks raph for that 2009 prelim, will never forget that. Could have been anything but the combo of injuries and lack of confidence neve allowed him to be the player his talent would have allowed.

Disgusting that people cannot see what he gave us.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:Signed Polo last year didn't they?
In the 2010 draft, which is almost two full years ago.
SainterK wrote:Gwilt was coming back from an ACL so personally I really don't think keeping Raph was foolish at all.
Neither do I. However, every year we need spare spots on the list and this one is no different. One way or another we need to lose another couple of players, and at this point I think Blake is more valuable as a backup defender because he's a bit bigger and stronger than Raph.
Yeah I realise we picked him up in 2010, I was just pointing out he got a new contract end of last season...

barrel-it
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Funny how some people like to bang on about Raph costing us the 09 GF by getting run down from behind.

Wasn't that very early on in the first quarter?

Didn't we hit the lead after that?

Didn't we lead for most of the game until well into the final quarter?

Never mind :roll:
Good point.
It still didn't when it did and somehow Sam Fisher gets blamed for it despite Raph Clarke getting rundown from behind.

Now go away Raph.

8 years of crap and getting paid very well to be crappy.
paid how well to be exact ?? please elaborate as a part of the St Kilda Financial List managment team. i look forward to your response.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I think Raph's biggest problem was that he struggled to get the continuity he needed. It seemed as though he would have an interuppted pre season or get injured during the year. The times he seemed to play his best footy was when he could play for a couple of months without injury. It just doesn't seem to have occurred often enough.
As to whether we keep him or not, that will probably depend on who we get during the next week and the draft and whether the club think they've his position covered.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some people are a disgrace. Raph may not be the best footballer we have had but he didnt pick himself to be on our list and he didnt pick sides with him in it. Why do people feel the need to completely rubbish a player who is leaving the club or even worse is still at the club. Why not just say well done Raph and hope life turns out well instead of crap footballer, no idea, pathetic, lost us a GF and so on. I know who is pathetic and it aint Raph.

Chubby chequer
Club Player

If raph had a feel and found his balls, he may be a good player again