betting - involves saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

betting - involves saints

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/footbal ... 6499621361

EXCLUSIVE: DOZENS of AFL footballers are among investors feared to have lost up to $1 million in betting syndicates run by a smooth-talking horse racing industry figure.
..Some of the biggest names in the game are furious after ploughing money into the punting schemes.

Gold Coast's Campbell Brown is known to be one of a number of players owed as much as $20,000.

As many as 50 players have been hit, including possibly a dozen each from St Kilda and West Coast owed money.

The biggest creditor, a star among the game's elite performers, is said to be down $200,000.

Michael Doughty, recently retired from Adelaide Crows, also is owed thousands of dollars.

Players and coaches nationwide are becoming increasingly frustrated by a lack of returns after being lured by the Queensland-based operator's promises.

As the scheme's operator moved to reassure investors, it emerged among those to sink in money were players from St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Fremantle.

Some investors believe bets were never laid on their behalf, generating speculation they were the victims of a scam.

Many players have given up hope they will get their money back.

Many were lured into the scheme after exchanging tips with the man that were often successful.

They were then advised to invest a sum of thousands of dollars, of which 10 per cent was gambled each week.

Their initial investments grew weekly, with detailed accounts information emailed to them each week.

But suspicions grew when some horses were listed in incorrect races, with many believing the bets were never laid.

Players say the operator has for months refused to answer calls, promising returns on specific dates then failing to deliver.

One former champion said some had lost six-figure sums.

"We started winning with him but we couldn't get our money back. After a while, we realised this just wasn't adding up," he said.

"I haven't got a cent yet. A couple of clubs had syndicates of 10 or 12 players. You just keep hearing more stories."

Mum and dad investors have also been left out of pocket.

One of them told the Herald Sun he and syndicate mates were down $50,000 and feared they would never see the money again.

"We just can't get the money. (The operator) won't take calls," the man said.

Another told a consumer rip-off website he had dropped almost $80,000.

"He plays the nice guy and I think that most people have just decided to let the money go," the investor said.

Some are understood to have contacted police and sought advice on how to recover their money through civil courts.

The operator last night said he was confident everyone could get their money by next week. He said the situation "hasn't been ideal", but he had inherited the situation from principals previously involved.

"I'm fully confident everyone will be fine," he said.

strange article.....Starts of with probably losing a mil.....................to end of article they will prob get back soon?

saint4life
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: betting - involves saints

The words "punting", "scheme" and "Queensland" in the 1 sentence should have been enough warning. Then, when I read this "Their initial investments grew weekly, with detailed accounts information emailed to them each week", I immediately thought "Isn't Bernie Madoff in gaol.....in New York".
Just give it to charity if you've got it to waste.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

You don't "invest" in a betting syndicate. You are still gambling.

What fools. If in doubt, just park your cash in a term deposit or donate some. Very dull and boring but not a bad idea in the current environment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The OtherThommo wrote:The words "punting", "scheme" and "Queensland" in the 1 sentence should have been enough warning. Then, when I read this "Their initial investments grew weekly, with detailed accounts information emailed to them each week", I immediately thought "Isn't Bernie Madoff in gaol.....in New York".
Just give it to charity if you've got it to waste.
The rings really true to me.

I have previously worked as an analyst for a stockbroking firm down the coast.

The 'salesmen' that used to pitch stock to unsuspecting people also used to work as 'salesmen' for the racing syndicate rubbish.

Most stockbroking firms or advisory services on the coast are scams and run by people under ASIC investigation or have been in trouble previously.

The band disbands, the band gets back together, the band disbands again.

When I found out what I was involved with I ran far far away as to not get caught up that a bunch of cheap, poor, bogan conmen who pray on other bogans.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The most obviou question to someone with a surefire betting strategy would be;
If your system is so great why the need to bring others on board and reduce your own odds?
Whether it's races or stocks and shares you are betting into a finite pool and the more "winners" the less the payout.
Most footballers not that smart?

SuperDuper
Club Player

Seriously doesn't the club give advice about this sort of thing? So obviously a scam from get go.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Lyon's financial adviser got them into it!

savatage
SS Life Member

Should I seriously give a fk about what other people do with their money??

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Should I seriously give a fk about what other people do with their money??

not really but indicative of their intelligence levels.
what's the chances Milne, Baker and Gilbert were involved?

savatage
SS Life Member

But who actually cares?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about most of the crap on these pages, doesn't stop me typing between poker hands!
LOT CHEAPER

savatage
SS Life Member

Lol fair enough.

Chubby chequer
Club Player

chook23 wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/footbal ... 6499621361

EXCLUSIVE: DOZENS of AFL footballers are among investors feared to have lost up to $1 million in betting syndicates run by a smooth-talking horse racing industry figure.
..Some of the biggest names in the game are furious after ploughing money into the punting schemes.

Gold Coast's Campbell Brown is known to be one of a number of players owed as much as $20,000.

As many as 50 players have been hit, including possibly a dozen each from St Kilda and West Coast owed money.

The biggest creditor, a star among the game's elite performers, is said to be down $200,000.

Michael Doughty, recently retired from Adelaide Crows, also is owed thousands of dollars.

Players and coaches nationwide are becoming increasingly frustrated by a lack of returns after being lured by the Queensland-based operator's promises.

As the scheme's operator moved to reassure investors, it emerged among those to sink in money were players from St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide and Fremantle.

Some investors believe bets were never laid on their behalf, generating speculation they were the victims of a scam.

Many players have given up hope they will get their money back.

Many were lured into the scheme after exchanging tips with the man that were often successful.

They were then advised to invest a sum of thousands of dollars, of which 10 per cent was gambled each week.

Their initial investments grew weekly, with detailed accounts information emailed to them each week.

But suspicions grew when some horses were listed in incorrect races, with many believing the bets were never laid.

Players say the operator has for months refused to answer calls, promising returns on specific dates then failing to deliver.

One former champion said some had lost six-figure sums.

"We started winning with him but we couldn't get our money back. After a while, we realised this just wasn't adding up," he said.

"I haven't got a cent yet. A couple of clubs had syndicates of 10 or 12 players. You just keep hearing more stories."

Mum and dad investors have also been left out of pocket.

One of them told the Herald Sun he and syndicate mates were down $50,000 and feared they would never see the money again.

"We just can't get the money. (The operator) won't take calls," the man said.

Another told a consumer rip-off website he had dropped almost $80,000.

"He plays the nice guy and I think that most people have just decided to let the money go," the investor said.

Some are understood to have contacted police and sought advice on how to recover their money through civil courts.

The operator last night said he was confident everyone could get their money by next week. He said the situation "hasn't been ideal", but he had inherited the situation from principals previously involved.

"I'm fully confident everyone will be fine," he said.

strange article.....Starts of with probably losing a mil.....................to end of article they will prob get back soon?
+1

jays
Club Player

wow a bit rough