Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

St Ick wrote: I heard we arent into Boston
I think you are right - It's more than a Feeling.

How could you be into garish images like this

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I always said he was trying to bring in some guys to fill that 21 to 25 age bracket that we lack in. We still need to be competitive now not in 5 years so the brief has been to get players ready to roll. I'm not sure a gun in 5 years when 2 teams will dominate is much good to us. If they both just become very good players it's a win. Goddard had 2 just serviceable years two players giving five years of above average performance would see us ahead from the trades. Anything we get from the picks from the trade might make it better.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pick 13 :shock:

I'm admittedly ignorant, but why did we have to throw everything else in as well?

We still need a big defender, hopefully they don't get silly....

So I guess I'm happy with the pickup of a ruckman, but just a bit cautious about the pricetag.
What do you mean by ........but why did we have to throw everything else in as well?

IT APPEARS 2 of our PICKS ARE UPGRADED!!
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
rexy
SS Life Member

Whilst I am realistic about the loss of Goddard and believe that we can have just as much success without him as we could with, I find the " below par " and "serviceable type comments rubbish. If you could not recognise how good BJ is because he didn't live up to the 2010 GF1 on a weekly basis than you are looking through the opposite of rose coloured glasses!

A rare talent IMO

Maybe this year?
Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Saw Hickey in a game last season and thought that the Suns had a superstar in the making. Remember thinking that we didn't have anyone like that on the horizon. Can't remember what game it was, but he was everywhere.

If he develops consistency, we will do very well indeed.

He sont being stupid but could you be talking about zac smith

battye
Saintsational Legend

If he's such a gun, why were GC happy to let him go?
saintspremiers wrote:We paid overs for Hickey but at 21 and a developing ruckman he's exactly what we need right now.

Hickey could be a ten year player for us.

With Hickey and Lee in, assuming they'll be in our 22, where does that leave Kosi? Is he no out of the side I assume??

Does Lee free Roo up to go further up the ground more often?

Can McEvoy float back if Hickey plays and allow Fisher to run out of defence which we need more of?
It's a bit premature to say he could be a 10 year player for us. The other side of the coin is that he was quite happy to part company with GC after 2 years, what's to say that if his circumstances change he won't be equally as happy to part company with St Kilda?

I'm not convinced about this trade yet. I hope it's not Barry Brooks all over again. I guess time will tell, but I'd be more comfortable investing pick 13 in someone from the draft than an also-ran from Gold Coast.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:O.k I've had a big day at work, had a few and have tried to digest the first three pages and then skipped to here.
So please cut me some slack...
My thoughts..

We need a back up ruckman big time.
One that has a tank, can leap and will be ideal considering the new interchange rules. Tick

Have we already done our homework on the draft prospects and see there are no other good ruck options available ? Hickey could be rated as the best ruck option available even considering the draft. Tick ?

We got some good second round picks as well. Could they be used with Cripps to get Brown from WCE ? Thus potentially fixing another glaring gap we have at full back ? Tick ?

We still have a few good options to rotate through the midfield. We can hang for a year or three there. Ruck and full back are the priorities atm.

Can we ever be sure young draftees are going to end up better than Hickey,Lee and maybe Brown ? Doubt it. Tick

Lastly, we got Goddard under a lucky circus pants thanks to our dear friends at Carltank. TICK !
We got 10 great years out of him as an absolute bonus and now we roll the dice with Tom Hickey in exchange who could potentially be a winner for the next 10 years. Tick ?

20 years out of nothing. Tick ?

On the flip side, I must admit plugger's thoughts did cross my mind. He could get homesick and want out early. ??

In the end, it's a roll of the dice to some extent. There are plenty of good news stories and bad in trading/drafting. No club are the exceptions.

Overall I'd say in a very difficult trading period for all clubs (apart from the Filth) we did o.k

gringo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Whilst I am realistic about the loss of Goddard and believe that we can have just as much success without him as we could with, I find the " below par " and "serviceable type comments rubbish. If you could not recognise how good BJ is because he didn't live up to the 2010 GF1 on a weekly basis than you are looking through the opposite of rose coloured glasses!

A rare talent IMO
who said below par he had two serviceable years- he was regularly getting 30 touches a week pre 2011. I think he was serviceable, not poor, not bad -serviceable. Gram gets 20 to 25 touches and should be delisted, goddard does the same and is elite? He is measured on his past just like most players that aren't as good as their past form. I called it when he was still with us.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

SuperDuper wrote:More precisely
In: Lee and Hickey + 25 + 26 + 46 + 47

Out: Goddard + 12 + 37 +57
Yep, the more I look at it, the more I think they are playing a numbers game...

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
rexy
SS Life Member

25 BJ touches worth a lot more than 25 gram touches! Wasn't directed solely at you and nothing personal mate, just think many have been quick to down play his ability due to his leaving!

Maybe this year?
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:One question, would these two guys have been picked up for 12 and 13, or even earlier.
RE Hickey:

Emma Quayle who is one of the most respected spotters of junior talent in the land, who wrote "The Draft: inside the AFL's search for talent" and has won numerous media awards in regards to her draft articles and knowledge has stated that Hickey would be the first big-guy taken in this years draft. She also said that Hickey is better or at least on par with Brodie Grundy (likely top 3 pick) and a better investment than Josh Caddy (Gee gave up more for his services). I think most fans upset with this trade are biased because Hickey is 21 with 2 years development (which is a benefit) and not an 18-19 year old from this years draft.

RE Lee:

TAC Cup Future Stars lead by Kevin Sheehan, the most highly respected talent scout in the land, has Lee as the 11th selection in the 2012 Mock Draft - Ahead of other key forward prospects such as Jake Stringer and Mason Shaw.

Of course there are plenty of contradicting opinions out there however it's good to know that two of the most respected opinions in this field suggest that we have done very well with both trades.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:If he's such a gun, why were GC happy to let him go?
saintspremiers wrote:We paid overs for Hickey but at 21 and a developing ruckman he's exactly what we need right now.

Hickey could be a ten year player for us.

With Hickey and Lee in, assuming they'll be in our 22, where does that leave Kosi? Is he no out of the side I assume??

Does Lee free Roo up to go further up the ground more often?

Can McEvoy float back if Hickey plays and allow Fisher to run out of defence which we need more of?
It's a bit premature to say he could be a 10 year player for us. The other side of the coin is that he was quite happy to part company with GC after 2 years, what's to say that if his circumstances change he won't be equally as happy to part company with St Kilda?

I'm not convinced about this trade yet. I hope it's not Barry Brooks all over again. I guess time will tell, but I'd be more comfortable investing pick 13 in someone from the draft than an also-ran from Gold Coast.

Pelchen is in charge of the whole list -the days of the senior coach being responsible for everything from trades to contracts is long gone. They might still stuff it up but hopefully with a bit more process and thought to it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

I'm admittedly ignorant, but why did we have to throw everything else in as well?

So I guess I'm happy with the pickup of a ruckman, but just a bit cautious about the pricetag.
What do you mean by ........but why did we have to throw everything else in as well?

I said I was admittedly ignorant...

I was just asking why 13 37 and 57...couldn't of just 13 and 57 have got it done?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

:shock:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

As someone said earlier, where are our next A graders and elite players going to come from?

Our elite players are all 29 years plus....bunch of GOP's after that....keep trading our first round picks, and in a cpl of years GOP's will comprise the whole team.

Nee!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:

I said I was admittedly ignorant...

I was just asking why 13 37 and 57...couldn't of just 13 and 57 have got it done?
If it did not include 37 we would not have got 26

Obviously we were not prepared to do 13 for Hickey

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:If it did not include 37 we would not have got 26

Ok, I guess I was asking why though...

Why wouldn't of we have got 26 without giving up 37?

Who were we competing with?

I am not bagging picking up the kid at all, just want know....that's right, why.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:As someone said earlier, where are our next A graders and elite players going to come from?

Our elite players are all 29 years plus....bunch of GOP's after that....keep trading our first round picks, and in a cpl of years GOP's will comprise the whole team.
Peake, Polo, Gamble, Gardiner etc etc. I can see why people are p1ssed off with our trades in recent years.

But tell me why you are labeling Lee & Hickey as GOPs when they're yet to play a game for us? Both are highly rated and both could have easily gone top 15 if they'd been in the Draft.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:Whilst I am realistic about the loss of Goddard and believe that we can have just as much success without him as we could with, I find the " below par " and "serviceable" type comments rubbish. If you could not recognise how good BJ is because he didn't live up to the 2010 GF1 on a weekly basis than you are looking through the opposite of rose coloured glasses!

A rare talent IMO
This for sure. Goddard's not much good now that he's left.........

On the trades, who knows how Lee and Hickey will go, seems a massive price to pay, but they just might be worth it. Now they need a tall defender also ready to play.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 23 Oct 2012 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
fugazi wrote:As someone said earlier, where are our next A graders and elite players going to come from?

Peake, Polo, Gamble, Gardiner etc etc. I can see why people are p1ssed off with our trades in recent years.

But tell me why you are labeling Lee & Hickey as GOPs when they're yet to play a game for us? Both are highly rated and both could have easily gone top 15 if they'd been in the Draft.
GOPs I'm telling ya, GOPS!

:wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

My apologies but can someone tell me if this Hickey trade has been confirmed ie: have the papers been signed or is this all heresay???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Now they need a tall defender also ready to play.
...and everyone knows it

St Igmata
Club Player

Why wouldnt Hickey be rated around Grundy.. he has 3 years on him and been in an AFL club system.

Doesnt mean he is better than Grundy in 5 years :roll:

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:If it did not include 37 we would not have got 26

Ok, I guess I was asking why though...

Why wouldn't of we have got 26 without giving up 37?

Who were we competing with?

I am not bagging picking up the kid at all, just want know....that's right, why.
bargaining by both parties

as I said above ....plus GC not prepared to give Hickey and 26 for 13 without some further return their way....that being or 37

Was a sstrong rumour that Pies were talking using a pick before our 25...............their 19 or so
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 23 Oct 2012 10:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shame we didn't get Hombsch he looked ok in the game I saw him in. Big unit back went to Port Adelaide with a nice small forward Neade for 29 or something. Good gets IMO for not much out lay. He would have been better value than Brown and was obviously available.