Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome to the St Kilda FC Tom Hickey

We gave up Goddard and Pick 12 and as a result we now have Lee and Hickey, plus the first two picks in the second and 3rd rounds. Not too bad at all, although I would now like us to trade an older player with GWS for one of the top picks.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Paying slightly overs (or not) is less relevant when it's something you desperately need.

During a battle Richard III was prepared to trade his kingdom for a horse.... I once paid $12 for a small bottle of water at a kiosk near the eiffel tower.

He's what we needed, he's what we got... good news.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:He's what we needed, he's what we got... good news.
This I agree with...

Hopefully we can fill the other glaring need.

hayes66
Club Player

I am continually amazed how people are so critical of past decisions. If everything was so bad previously then we must of had a lot of luck to play in the 09 and 010 grand finals. As for previous trade and draft decisions, yes there were mistakes. For example McEvoy why the hell do we pck me? Can only mark and has no potential for improvement. Steven pick 40 something surely there was a better player. Stanley at pick 47?.. Please there must of been better athletic prospects than that. And who was the clown that picked Simpkin as a rookie? I fail to see why we picked Siposs at pick 70 what posseed them? Trades, Schiender, Dempster and Ray, hacks. Ah yeah Lynch at pick 13 well at least we where able to trade him to those dumbo's Adelaide for a pick in the thirties.
All in all a pathetic effort by past recruiters and administrators.
For what it's worth I think The Saints have done ok in this recent trade period. I am a little concerned with the Tom Lee decision but believe Hickey, whilst coming at a high cost, will be good.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i am prepared to wait and see on this kid...one thing i do know...we needed to go into next year with another ruckman ready to play....

"like most clubs across the competition, we follow opposition players. Tom has been developing quite well at Gold Coast. He played 10 games this year and really bore the mantle of No.1 ruckman up there ahead of some fairly handy players in Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon,'' he said.

"Ultimately, we'll get two players for what would have been our pick 13. Getting Tom through the door initially and then pick 26. So it's not a stand-alone pick that we've traded away.

"We did something similar last year with picks 20 and 25 (last season) and picked up Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera. So it has been worthwhile.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6502095839
Last edited by stinger on Wed 24 Oct 2012 11:32am, edited 3 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintTom
Club Player

markp wrote:Paying slightly overs (or not) is less relevant when it's something you desperately need.

During a battle Richard III was prepared to trade his kingdom for a horse.... I once paid $12 for a small bottle of water at a kiosk near the eiffel tower.

He's what we needed, he's what we got... good news.
Well, according to Shakespeare anyway. What did he know? He was just some guy who made up words.

Certainly agree though. We're using our picks to grab players who are promising, young, and fill holes going forward. Often the most difficult holes. There will always be a bunch of good midfielders in the draft. A good ruckman or full forward comes around much less often.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:gee whiz- hed want to be a gun.
what does it say about macca?
we use 12 on macca and a few years later chuck 13 at hickey.
I am NEVER comfortable spending a high pick on a ruckman. risky with a capital R
carlton used their no 1 pick on a ruckman....west coast no2....gardiner was a no 1 pick.....there have been others.....the filth's fraser was a dud though....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

With all of this talk of his basketball career on here... I thought I'd bring up that my understanding was that he was an elite Volleyballer. Am I thinking of someone else or was that Hickey?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
The Jeff
Club Player

St Ick wrote:With all of this talk of his basketball career on here... I thought I'd bring up that my understanding was that he was an elite Volleyballer. Am I thinking of someone else or was that Hickey?
You are correct. He was an elite Volleyballer, from all reports.

FQF
MrCordz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Not a great move IMO. Pick 13 shouldnt be let go for an unproven ruckman. Got to say we have punted our future this trade period. If it comes off it sets us up in a few years. if it doesnt we will be down for even longer than I originally thought. Surely GC are laughing at us now. Pelchan and his crew have lost BJ and pick 12 for Lee, Hickey and 25 and 26. Huge price to pay.
We used a lower pick than that to secure the unproven macevoy

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

stinger wrote:i am prepared to wait and see on this kid...one thing i do know...we needed to go into next year with another ruckman ready to play....

"like most clubs across the competition, we follow opposition players. Tom has been developing quite well at Gold Coast. He played 10 games this year and really bore the mantle of No.1 ruckman up there ahead of some fairly handy players in Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon,'' he said.

"Ultimately, we'll get two players for what would have been our pick 13. Getting Tom through the door initially and then pick 26. So it's not a stand-alone pick that we've traded away.

"We did something similar last year with picks 20 and 25 (last season) and picked up Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera. So it has been worthwhile.''

Sensible Post Sting! +1

Humbly St. Kilda
stinger
Saintsational Legend

MrCordz wrote:
stinger wrote:i am prepared to wait and see on this kid...one thing i do know...we needed to go into next year with another ruckman ready to play....

Sensible Post Sting! +1
thanks mate... :D

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

MrCordz wrote:
stinger wrote: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/st-kild ... 6502095839
Sensible Post Sting! +1
not his words, and the link doesnt work :?:

Seeya
Megamaguire
Club Player

Welcome Tom, look forward to seeing you have a great career at our Saints.

Interesting reading the responses to our news. I must admit i winced a bit to learn we had used our rare Pk. 13 - too many grand finals!
Obviously the recruiting brains trust really believe in their summary of where the team can be most quickly and structurally improved (ie) quality RUCK backup and a TALL DEFENDER. This was a roll of the dice but perhaps we had little choice. If Hickey settles in; gets heaps of good support and demands a spot every week i will not care if we had to use a nb. 13 pick or higher to add him to our team. The likes of Simpkin; Saad; Newness; Siposs & Ross gives me confidence that the club knows what to look for.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

He's only listed at 87 kgs - would that be his current weight ?

savatage
SS Life Member

96KG last listed weight for Hickey.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

savatage wrote:96KG last listed weight for Hickey.
Thanks sav.
That sounds a bit better !

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

No doubt Hickey has potential.. and I am pleased to have him on the list.

But I would have preferred to use pick #13 on a player who slots straight into the team and is more than a fringe player / insurance policy.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:good ordinary players nearly won us a flag numpty...twice 8-)

Yep good call. We didnt have Lenny, Rooy, BJ, Dal, Chips, Joey and one or two others better than GOPS. Really you dont get it do you?

mordi
Club Player

I thought this was interesting from Suns bio....

Hickey started playing football late after being a Queensland junior volleyball representative.Hickey is a project ruckman who spent most of the season in the reserves before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.

He made a promising debut in round 22 against Adelaide, collecting 14 touches and kicking a goal.

The son of a former top-level Brisbane rugby league player, Hickey joined the GC SUNS as a Queensland Zone priority selection at the end of the 2010 VFL season.

Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.

What's the Point of it All?
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrix wrote:good ordinary players nearly won us a flag numpty...twice 8-)

Yep good call. We didnt have Lenny, Rooy, BJ, Dal, Chips, Joey and one or two others better than GOPS. Really you dont get it do you?

Lenny #13
Dal #13
Chips # 50 something
Joey # 48

All of these players as you can see were no lower than #13 and all much better than GOP's. Roo and bj are what they are champions, but Ball (GOP) X, Raph, Brookes, Kosi, Betham. All high dp's who were or are only GOP's

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mordi wrote:I thought this was interesting from Suns bio....

Hickey started playing football late after being a Queensland junior volleyball representative.Hickey is a project ruckman who spent most of the season in the reserves before suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for eight weeks.

He made a promising debut in round 22 against Adelaide, collecting 14 touches and kicking a goal.

The son of a former top-level Brisbane rugby league player, Hickey joined the GC SUNS as a Queensland Zone priority selection at the end of the 2010 VFL season.

Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.

Can you do that in another colour.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mordi wrote:

Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.[/color]

My good deed for the day. I feel better about myself.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
mordi wrote:

Despite his relatively late arrival to the sport, Hickey was a standout at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at the AIS in Canberra. He was the best-performed ruckman in the agility test and equal second best among ruckmen in the beep test. He also ranked second overall in the new 'clean hands' test.[/color]

My good deed for the day. I feel better about myself.

Thanks. My computer skills rank with my spelling.