YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Re: YOU'RE KIDDING YOURSELVES....

Austinnn wrote:The question is surely why we spent all our energy on Brown, when it was clear WCE weren't gonna let it happen for anything but a silly deal... and if we'd done a silly deal the club would have been crucified by forumites who know how to do other people's jobs so much better.
A deal was agreed to but it involved Hooker from Ess going to WC ..... Hooker said no and stuffed the whole deal up ..

thefatdork
Club Player

Kiedis wrote:I must admit, in the lead-up to this last week of trade the majority of forumites seemed quietly confident 'The Pelican' had a few cards hidden up his sleeve, reassuring all that we'd see some action.

TDL for 47.

I don't know. After the loss of Goddard I was kind of expecting/hoping for something big. Having said that, I don't believe the sky is falling and I'm fairly quick to accept and see the positives in how things have turned out. All I'm saying is, reading all the hopes & expectations on here the past few weeks.. People now proudly stating how well we've done, doesn't quite sit right with me. Give me time.
I reckon we've done OK.
The Pelican & co tried to get Brown from West Coast, but apart from kidnapping him and bringing him to Seaford, there was no way WC were going to let it happen.
The selections are good ones - certainly with the present and future in mind.
The Saints will be an exciting prospect in the next few years - maybe 2013 will be a little early - but we are building.
Go Saints!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Flog
Bloody cheap Chinese birthday candles.

I've spent the last 40 years waiting for a Flag to come along! :x

SinCitySainter
Club Player

TDL is a direct replacement for Cripps.
He is a fast wing/forward with good disposal who can kick a goal.
Does not really get his own ball and did not suit the small/tight ground that is the SCG.
We effectively lost Cripps for TDL and upgrading two early third rounders to late 2nd.

Hickey and Lee are both 1st round selections so no problem there.

All in all I give us a B.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I think it's obvious now that plan B was Blake. And for those with very short memories, he actually went OK down back until we had to throw him in the ruck when our very limited options were injured.
We have seemingly addressed the ruck issues so expect tp never see Jason play there again. He is a very cheap, and capable, stop-gap defender.

Given he is staying we can deduce two things:

1) Raph is a goner
2) We won't be recruiting a mature age KPD.

I would expect to see all four draft picks go on kids. I would also expect to see us chase Brown at the end of next season, unless a better option presents before then, or we recruit a KPD kid who comes along much quicker then expected.

I also expect Shenton to be gone and Andreoli. Winmar is on thin ice I would think but may get pushed onto the Rookie list.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Simmo2 wrote:I AM FILTHY. I was worried last week, and it NEVER improved. If you think we've done well- you are absolutely kidding yourselves.

We were promised "aggressive" trading with salary cap room, and we were nothing short of pathetic. AND THE CLUB'S POSTING ABOUT MITCH BROWN'S SITUATION IMPROVING WAS A FECKING DISGRACE.

Lee, Hickey and Denis Lane............. You have got to be gagging.

2 forwards (the least of our problems), and a 21 yr old ruckman.

Well done Saints............... well done.

Don't hit me with "draft picks"- we'll get flogs at picks 25 and beyond and everyone knows it. They come off rarely.
Yes. Yes we are. We are kidding ourselves.

You forgot that we are also all muppets.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We got Lee, who hopefully can do what we all want Kosi to do as the second big forward, actually I hope that Kosi still does some good, but he probably only has one season.
He will also release Stanley as another tall option, maybe further up the ground, Wilkes will join Kosi as back ups.
We get Hickey, as a second ruck for McEvoy, also releases, limits Stanley and Kosi's ruck requirements, and insures Blakey can just be a defender.
Dennis-Lane, well he replaces Cripps, also a relief player for Milne, 30+, and Schneider who has had two injury prone seasons.
No we didn't get a big defender, not through lack of trying, West Coast didn't want to deal and it will probably bite them next season if they don't give Brown much game time.
As for our draft picks, gee wasn't Sam a second round pick, Gwilt a third rounder, plenty of hidden talent down the order, first round draft picks don't come with guarantees.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Blake is the full time full back next year too. I would look seriously at nick Rodda now. The kid is huge and is like Daniel merrett in that he comes at a size to play an immediate KPD role.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

i am hoping like hell there is some kind of moneyball methodology in play because it looks like we paid overs on face value.

Also get the feeling we are played some kind of numbers game here with these 1 for 2 trade deals .. ie spreading the risk by picking two late first round /early 2nd round picks rather that putting all your eggs in 1 mid first round pick.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am happy with our first two gains. They both look promising. I am not sure why we bothered with the third.
I am concerned with who is to be de-listed now, as we only have 2 vacancies and we need about 5 if we are to promote our rookies, which they deserve.
I would rather have kept the draft pick than pick up TDL.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Not that it matters....but Saints got a 'D' grade for our trading period from Damien Barrett, and a "C" from Terry Wallace.............failing to get a FB costing us, and in both said we paid overs for Hickey.

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Not that it matters....but Saints got a 'D' grade for our trading period from Damien Barrett, and a "C" from Terry Wallace.............failing to get a FB costing us, and in both said we paid overs for Hickey.

I would say C is about right.

beartalbot
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Here's a tip for all you sooks lamenting no first round picks...

When the draft is on & Demetriou is about to announce pick 12, turn the volume down & announce loudly-

"St Kilda pick player 35876 Tom Lee- Claremont Football Club".

Then imagine Shifter Sheahan commenting that the Saints have got a ripper on their hands here, with a 195cm athletic forward who kicked 70 goals in the WAFL.

Keep the sound down & announce "Pick 13- St. Kilda"

"Player 23457 Tom Hickey Gold Coast Suns"

Cue Shifter "The Saints have gone tall again with this athletic ruckman, 201cm, strong contested mark & big engine"

Turn the telly back up & enjoy as we add another 4 kids to the exciting bunch we already have!
Excellent AE :)
Yes good response AE
I agree, sounds more promising than our more recent draft selections. I for one, find selecting young developed players like Lee and Hickey as our first round picks smarter than relying on unproven players like Lynch etc selected over previous years.

BEAR
lloyd21
Club Player

We are good shape. Just stop the negative. Hickey was on his way to Collingwood for pick 18

They got him we did not pay overs we improved our draft prospects give me break Terry Wallace killed Richmond's list.
Lee was going to Carlton. In the 1st round of the draft. We got him too. We did not get the one we were really after we will next year. His name is James Frawley. Just relax

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:We are good shape. Just stop the negative. Hickey was on his way to Collingwood for pick 18

They got him we did not pay overs we improved our draft prospects give me break Terry Wallace killed Richmond's list.
Lee was going to Carlton. In the 1st round of the draft. We got him too. We did not get the one we were really after we will next year. His name is James Frawley. Just relax

Sounds like rubbish.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Think about it

Outside the 8

List is ageing and a year older..... We lost our most versatile player (and only A Grader) in his prime....

We gave up two first round selections for 10 games AFL experience

We couldn't secure a player to fill the biggest concern

The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe our list management after this trade period.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Think about it

Outside the 8

List is ageing and a year older..... We lost our most versatile player (and only A Grader) in his prime....

We gave up two first round selections for 10 games AFL experience

The word disgraceful and incompetent are two words I would use to describe our list management after this trade period.

Yes but you have no idea. Actually you have less than no idea. I dont know what that is but it means your comments should be laughed at. BJ our only a grader. Joke.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In their prime?!

But carry on regardless....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:In their prime?!

But carry on regardless....

I thought you were a teacher. Why would you put that in brackets if you wanted it to also include in their prime? Can you answer that instead of your usual running away when you are wrong. I have noticed you havent been on here as much lately. Must have got a lot wrong.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I can't believe some of the negativity and drivel that is part of this thread...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

This thread is has nearly been derailed by our resident thread Farkers..

does it need to exist........................do they more to the point.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
beartalbot
Club Player

OK, could we please cease the constant negativiity against our Club that seems to have crept into this forum.
Although only a recent contributor here, due to my previous poor computer skills, I have been a tragic Saints supporter since 1960.
This has caused negative comments from opposition supporters over the years, much of it light hearted.
To hear it coming from confessed StKilda supporters causes me some distress.
I, for one, feel that our achievements during the recent trade period were positive as we picked up seasoned youngsters in Lee and Hickey with our first round selections 12 & 13. Our previous record around these picks, Lynch etc were not successful.
I truly believe that Watters, Pelchen etc deserve some credit in trying to cover deficiencies, using selections on players within the correct age group to ensure a smooth transition once mature players careers end.
We still have four selections in the second round of the upcoming draft to find a mature aged defender, as well as adding more skilled youth to our squad.
Lets get back to more positive posts, and show confidence in those in power to make decisions necessary to keep this great Club of ours a feared member of this competition.

BEAR
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:This thread is has nearly been derailed...
It wasn't exactly railed to start with.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
bobmurray wrote:This thread is has nearly been derailed...
It wasn't exactly railed to start with.
It started as a train wreck with th op using uppuer case to make a starement

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Well that was always going to be difficult.

Who exactly were we supposed to get? We tried to get Mitch Brown but he was contracted. We couldn't really go after any FAs because of the BJ comp situation? What other genuine, classy full backs were available? Ones that we could have realistically traded for? We did what we could including offering what many consider to be "overs" for the West Coast fella.

Other options exist however they need to be secured during the Draft period, not the Trade period.