How many more do we need to de-list?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scoop
Club Player

Re: How many more do we need to de-list?

With our new inclusions of Lee, Hickey and TDL, coupled with our delistings, we currently have 36 on our senior list, which includes 2 players on the veterans list.

This will allow us to draft 4 players.

Raph will be delisted and Nick Winmar will probably be added to the rookie list, although he may be delisted, given that we now have a lot of room in our cap and we will be able to 'carry' his smallish salary. Clint Jones and Tom Ledger are also a chance to be delisted (would then need to also carry Jones' salary). That means we can add 2 more players (or 3/4 if Jones/Ledger is/are delisted), either in the delisted FA, ND, pre-season draft or upgrade of rookies.

Assuming that Jones/Ledger not delisted, unless there is someone available in the FA/drafts that cannot be overlooked, we will probably upgrade 2 rookies. As has been pointed out, we have 6 players on our Cat A rookie list and 1 on the Cat B list (Ferguson).

I believe that we will upgrade Dunell and Curren and leave Ferguson on the Cat B list. That will then leave 4 on the rookie list to keep, delist 1, to make way for Winmar or delist more to add a rookie or two.

Well that's my take anyway.
Last edited by Scoop on Sun 28 Oct 2012 12:56am, edited 1 time in total.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
defacto
Club Player

Scoop wrote:With our new inclusions of Lee, Hickey and TDL, coupled with our delistings, we currently have 36 on our senior list, which includes 2 players on the veterans list.

Raph will be delisted and Nick Winmar will probably be added to the rookie list, although he may be delisted, given that we now have a lot of room in our cap and we will be able to 'carry' his smallish salary. Clint Jones and Tom Ledger are also a chance to be delisted. That means we can add 2 more players (or 3/4 if Jones/Ledger is/are delisted), either in the delisted FA, ND, pre-season draft or upgrade of rookies.

Assuming that Jones/Ledger not delisted, unless there is someone available in the FA/drafts that cannot be overlooked, we will probably upgrade 2 rookies. As has been pointed out, we have 6 players on our Cat A rookie list and 1 on the Cat B list (Ferguson).

I believe that we will upgrade Dunell and Curren and leave Ferguson on the Cat B list. That will then leave 4 on the rookie list to keep, delist 1, to make way for Winmar or delist more to add a rookie or two.

any extra player you add to the senior list via the extra allowance because of a veteran means you -1 from the rookie allowance.

Scoop
Club Player

defacto wrote:
Scoop wrote:With our new inclusions of Lee, Hickey and TDL, coupled with our delistings, we currently have 36 on our senior list, which includes 2 players on the veterans list.

Raph will be delisted and Nick Winmar will probably be added to the rookie list, although he may be delisted, given that we now have a lot of room in our cap and we will be able to 'carry' his smallish salary. Clint Jones and Tom Ledger are also a chance to be delisted. That means we can add 2 more players (or 3/4 if Jones/Ledger is/are delisted), either in the delisted FA, ND, pre-season draft or upgrade of rookies.

any extra player you add to the senior list via the extra allowance because of a veteran means you -1 from the rookie allowance.
Correct, however, unless something else has changed, my understanding is that a club can have a Primary list of 38 players and up to 6 Cat A rookies and 3 Cat B (International, NSW Scholarship, etc) rookies. You can then nominate up to 2 veterans outside the list of 38, bringing up to 40, with a consequent reduction in the number of rookies. So if a club had 38 + 2 vets, it can only have 4 Cat A rookies.

See this: http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/Mem ... sAug14.pdf

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Scoop
Club Player

BTW, I have sent an email to the AFL seeking clarification of the list numbers.

If I receive a reply, I will post here.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Shenton has got to go.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Be good to know how many spots we have…

So far then:

(5) OUT: CRIPPS, CROCKER, GODDARD, PEAKE, POLO

(3) IN: LEE, HICKEY, TDL

You would assume Clarke will not be offered another contract on list numbers, so we have 6 out, 3 in so far without any rookie upgrades.

Surely we need to use at least our 4 - 2nd round picks… so still need another delisting. Winmar to the rookie list?

Be a shame if Dunell or Curren don't get upgraded because we decided to draft our 5th small forward IMO.

shmic_s
Club Player

Just to confuse things even more.

I thought Dunell was our mid season rookie upgrade that every team had available. This was a permament upgrade not temporary like what occurs with a long term injury. Therefore he is on the senior list, or so I thought.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Just to confuse things even more.

I thought Dunell was our mid season rookie upgrade that every team had available. This was a permament upgrade not temporary like what occurs with a long term injury. Therefore he is on the senior list, or so I thought.
It is confusing… He is currently listed on our 'senior' list on the saints website. But then again so are the 5 that have left.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

add Gram to the list....

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint6709
Club Player

winmar stays purely on his surname I would think, think shenton would need to go and maybe 1 other

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:I thought Dunell was our mid season rookie upgrade that every team had available. This was a permament upgrade not temporary like what occurs with a long term injury. Therefore he is on the senior list, or so I thought.
Nope, that's not how it works. Players only get permanently promoted at the end of the year. The mid-season thing is just an extra spot which can be used for one rookie for the remainder of the year, but they never actually leave the rookie list.

sax
Club Player

I think it will now be Gram & Clarke off the primary list.

Shenton & Andreoli will go off of the rookie list.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

This whole draft pick business is obviously confusing so here's my take on it.

Please feel free to tell me if I've got it wrong. :)

People keep talking about how many picks we've got, as if the AFL hands them out. That seems to be supported by media stories that show each club's picks.

As far as I'm aware we can have as many picks as we like. It is limited only by the list size which I believe is currently 38. 

So if we had 38 on the senior list in 2012 and we then delisted all 38, we would have 38 picks in the Draft. In the early rounds we'd get to select a player every 18 picks, but as clubs dropped out of the draft (because their lists were now filled) our picks would become closer together. Eventually all 17 other clubs would stop drafting and we'd end up with the final 32 or so selections.

That is my simplistic take on it. So all things being equal, that is we continue to trim our list as we would have prior to Gram's sacking, we will have one more opportunity to draft a player, or to pick up a delisted player, or to upgrade a rookie.

Scoop
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:This whole draft pick business is obviously confusing so here's my take on it.

People keep talking about how many picks we've got, as if the AFL hands them out. That seems to be supported by media stories that show each club's picks.

As far as I'm aware we can have as many picks as we like. It is limited only by the list size which I believe is currently 38. 

So if we had 38 on the senior list in 2012 and we then delisted all 38, we would have 38 picks in the Draft. In the early rounds we'd get to select a player every 18 picks, but as clubs dropped out of the draft (because their lists were now filled) our picks would become closer together. Eventually all 17 other clubs would stop drafting and we'd end up with the final 32 or so selections.

That is my simplistic take on it. So all things being equal, that is we continue to trim our list as we would have prior to Gram's sacking, we will have one more opportunity to draft a player, or to pick up a delisted player, or to upgrade a rookie.
That's pretty much it....

villasaint
Club Player

Great discussion, I now understand why the clubs are not happy withmthe reduction in Rookie places. Hope they lobbyntoget it back up to six.

sax
Club Player

From what I understand we can have 38 on the primary list, 2 veterans outside of the list & 4 rookies + Ferguson NSW scholarship.

Maximum list size is 44 including rookies & vets plus you can have a certain number of International/Scholarship rookies.

If we delist Clarke aswell as Gram & promote Dunnell, this will leave us with 5 draft picks, but no rookie draft picks.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

De-list Jones as well, that will get us involved in the rookie draft anyway.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:De-list Jones as well, that will get us involved in the rookie draft anyway.
His kicking is so bad he should not play another AFL game.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Superstar
Club Player

Scoop wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:This whole draft pick business is obviously confusing so here's my take on it.

That's pretty much it....

Yeah basically keeps going till you have filled your list, or you pass on your picks. Carlton in 2002, when they lost their draft pick were still able to fill thier list at the end of the draft. So even though they lost thier first 4 picks, they still were able to fill those spots just at the end of the draft.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:If we delist Clarke aswell as Gram & promote Dunnell, this will leave us with 5 draft picks, but no rookie draft picks.
I may be a bit slow but…

I'm only getting 3 free spot on the main list, 7 out, 4 in

OUT
Clarke, Cripps, Crocker, Goddard, Gram, Peake, Polo

IN
Lee, Hickey, TDL, Dunell

Am I missing something here?

noob
Club Player

Think you might be right dragit Might be one more to delist? I'd say they would be pick 4 new players in the draft.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Think you might be right dragit Might be one more to delist? I'd say they would be pick 4 new players in the draft.
Another de listing....oh...more tears

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Delist Winmar. Easy fix.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scoop
Club Player

dragit wrote:
sax wrote:If we delist Clarke aswell as Gram & promote Dunnell, this will leave us with 5 draft picks, but no rookie draft picks.
I may be a bit slow but…

I'm only getting 3 free spot on the main list, 7 out, 4 in

OUT
Clarke, Cripps, Crocker, Goddard, Gram, Peake, Polo

IN
Lee, Hickey, TDL, Dunell

Am I missing something here?
sax is right....

With the upgrading of Dunell to the primary list, the saints have:

35 on the primary list (which includes 2 veterans outside the list)....that means we have 5 vacancies on the primary list.
4 Cat A Rookies (Shenton, Staley, Minchington, Curren) and 1 Cat B Rookie (Ferguson)....that means we have no Cat A Rookie vacancies, but can take 2 more Cat B Rookies (i.e. Irish, other international, etc)

I believe that we will draft 4 and pick up 1 delisted FA.

rexy
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Delist Winmar. Easy fix.
Think Winmar is contracted, makes it unlikely we will delist him, his and grams wage in salary cap but neither on list seems like a waste of coin for no return?

Maybe this year?