Free Agency For Delisted Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free Agency For Delisted Players

prwilkinson asked..Anyone know when we'll be announcing our delistings? 31.10.12 is First List Lodgement. Should see some more de-listings then. If not, List Lodgement 2 is on 15.11.12, a week before the draft.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think that you will find that the players to be delisted by the Saints will be among the better players available in this delisted player thing.

evo
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
sax wrote:I'd pick Jayden Post!
I'd be far less enthusiastic about that selection!
I'm sure he would be as good for us as Plapp, Polo, Pattison and Fiora.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Tom Gillies
And simpkin i hope we look at...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:And simpkin i hope we look at...
Do we really need another small forward?

bozza1980
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Who were those players taken from us in 2000 and 2001 who shone once they let us?
Funny I thought Hall could play before he left us. As could the Wakelins who are also mentioned. Who are the young guys who once they left us in those years who really improved because of us being a poor club back then.
Joel Smith? Matthew Lappin?
Neither were better, than we already thought they were, after they left.

This is not to say that Hawthorn and Carlton wouldn't have been happy with their pick ups, I'm just saying they were handy players before they left.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jayden Post should be good long term and is highly rated by the tigers fans. He's big and a contested marking player- led the TAC in CM by a huge margin if I remember right. Sherman would be a like for like replacement for gram and would only be about 26 you would think. He was really good at Brisbane but wants out from the dogs and they mutually parted ways.

sax
Club Player

gringo wrote:Jayden Post should be good long term and is highly rated by the tigers fans. He's big and a contested marking player- led the TAC in CM by a huge margin if I remember right. Sherman would be a like for like replacement for gram and would only be about 26 you would think. He was really good at Brisbane but wants out from the dogs and they mutually parted ways.

I agree!

My best mate is a Richmond fan & really rates Post. He doesn't understand why he didn't get more of a go!

He would certainly be worth a look. Great size! 195cm, 93kg. DOB - 5/12/89, so will be 23 at the start of next season.

Can play both ends from what I've seen.

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Jayden Post should be good long term and is highly rated by the tigers fans. He's big and a contested marking player- led the TAC in CM by a huge margin if I remember right. Sherman would be a like for like replacement for gram and would only be about 26 you would think. He was really good at Brisbane but wants out from the dogs and they mutually parted ways.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No to both. Would prefer we use our five picks on kids.

rexy
SS Life Member

Definitely no to Sherman!

Maybe this year?
nw7
Club Player

I think Jayden Post would be a good option for us, he moves well for a big guy and will fill a need as a key back and wont be expensive.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Tom Schneider sounds unlucky to be cut from hawthorn, we could do with more genuine midfield depth, anyone seen much of him?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Tom Schneider sounds unlucky to be cut from hawthorn, we could do with more genuine midfield depth, anyone seen much of him?
Nah; we already have a Schneider.

And 26 Toms :P

ace
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote:A player delisted by his club can between Nov 1 and Nov 13 be treated as a free agent and can go to the club of his choice, as he has been delisted, the club who did the delisting doesn't get any compensation.

If a player delists himself (that is the club still wants him but he wants to go elsewhere) like a Josh Toy, then he has to go into the preseason draft. This would have been the case with Cripps if the deal hadn't been done.

Are you sure about Toy.
He may have turned down a contract offer but then he was delisted by his club.
He is then a delisted player.
My reading is that delisting should make him a free agent.
If however Gold Coast had kept him on their list without contract he could then nominate for the National Draft before 2PM Novemeber 13 but he would not be a free agent.

It means little to the club losing the player to free gency or the draft because they lose him without compensation anyhow.
It affects the club claiming him in the draft because they must use up a draft pick whereas free agency only deactivates a late daft pick.
Free ageny is better for the player because he gets his choice of club (if any club wants him).

Ben Jacobs was not delisted by Port Adelaide, he is not a free agent, he can only re-sign with Port or go into the National Draft or go into the Pre Season Draft.
A club selecting him at either draft must use up a pick and Jacobs must go where he is drafted.

In practice taking Toy would deactivate St Kilda's pick 77 unless a further player were delsted by St Kilda.
Taking Jacobs may cost pick 25.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint58
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Would we look at anyone? Cook? Rounds?
We wont look at anyone acording to our list manangement no one is on the radar.YOU carnt tell me that there isnt a key bock that either has been delisted or is playing in one of the state leagues.

Iam anoyed that our list managers couldnt find a key back in all the trade period from any club there were a few around but we were to focused on Mitch brown.

We need to look at developing someone like Jay lever he has played back before or staley,ferguson so we will have a few coming through,as well as drafting some other players.

Scoop
Club Player

ace wrote: Are you sure about Toy.
He may have turned down a contract offer but then he was delisted by his club.
He is then a delisted player.
My reading is that delisting should make him a free agent.
If however Gold Coast had kept him on their list without contract he could then nominate for the National Draft before 2PM Novemeber 13 but he would not be a free agent.
Correct....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

A few names being tossed about here. However the general feeling is that the Saints won’t participate in picking up any of these delisted FAs. And with no deals reported yet I suspect that will in fact be the case.

Although we have until Nov 13 to do a deal I would assume that if we are going to pick up anyone we would be doing it early in the trade period. Let’s face it, we know exactly who’s available. These are players who have been cut free from their former clubs and are desperate to continue their careers. As such they won’t be demanding too much remuneration. We don’t have to give up anything for them (apart from a list spot) and we don’t have to deal with their former clubs. And if we pick one up it won’t affect any compensation from the AFL.

So unlike other trade periods I expect most of the deals to be done early rather than at the death knell.

saint6709
Club Player

saint58 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Would we look at anyone? Cook? Rounds?
We wont look at anyone acording to our list manangement no one is on the radar.YOU carnt tell me that there isnt a key bock that either has been delisted or is playing in one of the state leagues.

Iam anoyed that our list managers couldnt find a key back in all the trade period from any club there were a few around but we were to focused on Mitch brown.

We need to look at developing someone like Jay lever he has played back before or staley,ferguson so we will have a few coming through,as well as drafting some other players.

where did the list management info come from ?? I would be pretty annoyed if they aren't looking into everyone available - some of the de listed guys are as big as mitch brown , younger and actually played more games for their club - and they'll come for virtually nothing - why not roll the dice ??