Why BJ left St.Kilda: Facts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why BJ left St.Kilda: Facts

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Better facilities about 5 hours from his home. He was playing in the midfield for us in longer periods but I agree they have more chance of winning a flag than us. Reckon the money was a pretty good reason why he left and was probably the main reason.
He lives in Port Melbourne, Essendon Fields is 1/2 the time than Seaford from there.
Why do the Bombres have a better chance than the Saints at winning a flag.
Their only decent defender is 38, their only A grade player is 28 before the season starts and their best up and comer can barely string 3/4 of a season together.
They won't make the finals next year.

It's Melbourne Airport Tullamarine not Essendon fields. And you are right, from Port Melbourne city link all the way is a very quick trip.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I can understand and forgive someone for leaving for huge financial gain…

However I would find it pretty ordinary for a 200 game player to leave his mates and club for any of those 3 reasons.
This

PJ
SS Life Member

The reasons for BJ leaving will become irrelevant and only important to him. The fact is this will be a regular occurance and something supporters will have to get used to. Regardless of the emotional spin we put on it to them it will be a job and how they are going to financially get through a large period of their life.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Spinner wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Better facilities about 5 hours from his home. He was playing in the midfield for us in longer periods but I agree they have more chance of winning a flag than us. Reckon the money was a pretty good reason why he left and was probably the main reason.
He lives in Port Melbourne, Essendon Fields is 1/2 the time than Seaford from there.
Why do the Bombres have a better chance than the Saints at winning a flag.
Their only decent defender is 38, their only A grade player is 28 before the season starts and their best up and comer can barely string 3/4 of a season together.
They won't make the finals next year.
It's Melbourne Airport Tullamarine not Essendon fields. And you are right, from Port Melbourne city link all the way is a very quick trip.
Can't comment on the relative merits of the physical facilities (once completed) of each club. I'd assume though, that both will be excellent.

What I don't get is why Efffn'dum would move to the same basic site as Tulla airport and be breathing all those av-gas fumes!?! If I was an AFL-standard footballer, I'd be doing whatever it took to not to be at a club based at Melbourne airport.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, the club freely invited him to test the market and hear what people had to offer.

Could also name a few of our guys who struggle with a tag, wasn't exclusive to him...and most teams aren't going to tag Jobe and BJ.

I think he'll have a decent chance at it with a ruck combo like Bellchambers and Ryder. A lot of talk about BJ struggling last year when Lenny was absent, but most mids did...I never saw the mids held responsible, I saw Ben dropped...and I saw Ross take over from Harves with the stoppages.

That is no offence to Ben who isn't quite there yet in setting up our mids to advantage (can't help that Lenny is a freak and can read anything) and was certainly thrown in the deep end.

I thought when BJ was in the midfield from the Dogs game until when Roo got injured, he was really good personally.

Legendary
Club Player

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Scott Watters sat down with BJ in early October, and told him that if his form in 2013 repeated what it was this year, he would be "playing VFL by Round 5". SW told him that he wasn't in the first dozen picked for most of 2012.

Other side of the coin is that what we offered BJ would have made him the 2nd highest paid at the club next year, and the highest paid in 2014.

Don't let a good story get in the way of your facts!!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that Scott Watters sat down with BJ in early October, and told him that if his form in 2013 repeated what it was this year, he would be "playing VFL by Round 5". SW told him that he wasn't in the first dozen picked for most of 2012.

Other side of the coin is that what we offered BJ would have made him the 2nd highest paid at the club next year, and the highest paid in 2014.

Don't let a good story get in the way of your facts!!

is that true, or was that your interpretation?

Legendary
Club Player

That quote is apparently the exact words SW used.

Source is a current employee at the club (and no, it wasn't some part-time gossipy receptionist) - I can't be more specific than that as I don't want to identify the person.

seano1
Club Player

Money....he may even do his knee 1st game so will sit on his butt and received a higher salary

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:That quote is apparently the exact words SW used.

Source is a current employee at the club (and no, it wasn't some part-time gossipy receptionist) - I can't be more specific than that as I don't want to identify the person.
Gee...that is big if it was what happened (not that I doubt).

That being said a free-wheeling halfback is the easiest spot on the ground to replace.

Plus we saved money and can now purchase the world at the conclusion of 2013.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will this go for four years?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

My source is from Essendon. And rock solid. They of course paint the other side of the equation. Yours makes sense also. Sounding a bit like RL and Ball isn't it???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

So it's hearsay rather than fact. Still, your form is consistent.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I assume part of the deal was that Essendon agreed to pay his citylink account?

As for comparing this scenario with the Ball one I don't recall BJ (or anyone from his management or family) publicly bagging the Saints.
So whilst I believe that money was the driving force for both decisions I much prefer the way BJ went about it

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I assume part of the deal was that Essendon agreed to pay his citylink account?

As for comparing this scenario with the Ball one I don't recall BJ (or anyone from his management or family) publicly bagging the Saints.
So whilst I believe that money was the driving force for both decisions I much prefer the way BJ went about it
If only FA was around when Ball left it would've been much easier!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I assume part of the deal was that Essendon agreed to pay his citylink account?

If only FA was around when Ball left it would've been much easier!
Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that people around Ball felt the need to 'bag the Club' whereas BJ (or his people) did not.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:What I don't get is why Efffn'dum would move to the same basic site as Tulla airport and be breathing all those av-gas fumes!?!
Actually most of the avgas is burned at Essendon Airport. The big birds run on jet fuel, which is basically kero, so that's what they'll be breathing at the new facilities.

Anyway, aren't the St Kilda facilities right near a major road junction? Which would make the choice between breathing kero and breathing carbon monoxide.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:What I don't get is why Efffn'dum would move to the same basic site as Tulla airport and be breathing all those av-gas fumes!?!
Actually most of the avgas is burned at Essendon Airport. The big birds run on jet fuel, which is basically kero, so that's what they'll be breathing at the new facilities.

Anyway, aren't the St Kilda facilities right near a major road junction? Which would make the choice between breathing kero and breathing carbon monoxide.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Neither is good for the old lungs. I know Seaford isn't the most bucolic of settings, but the noise, location, pollution and the generally barren appearance of "Essendon Fields" might turn a few off. FA and revenge awaits next year!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:My source is from Essendon. And rock solid.
lol - it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nothing more.

And if ledgendary is to be believed he was called on by Watters.

No wonder the Saints ditched him within seconds of hearing the OTT deal Essendon offered.

Maybe some payback on the Lovett s.hit. after all 8-)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Saintspremiers you do talk a lot of rubbish. Your source of info (impeccable), from the Bummers, is proberbly the bootstudders grandson because your points sound childish. To travel each day on the Tulla freeway to and from Essendon Airport in all that traffic will be worse than the freeway to Seaford - he won't be able to crank up the white AMG Benz unless he wants to finish up like Buddy Franklin, without a licence. He won't enjoy training out of a Builder's shed next year on a new playing surface not as good as Seaford.
The Bummers will also make sure BJ earns his $800k and work him harder than he knows how and will find pressure on and off the field. Many on the Bummers list will also be dissatisfied with the deal BJ has been given thus creating a lot of disharmony within the Club.
Bendigo could see a bit of BJ next year.
Well done Saints in sticking to your values.

Saints43
Club Player

GoSaintersGo wrote:Bendigo could see a bit of BJ next year.
Have you really talked yourself into this?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I dont recall club or players publicly bagging goddard
I just hope that someone from the saints tries to drive his knee through goddards' head when he is lying on the ground

Seeya
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The FACTS are that nobody on this thread has any idea why BJ left the club.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Fact..the most overused and tenuously applied word in any football forum

Unless BJ told you these things to your face (or at the very least were publicly announced by a Club representative..like they would..NOT) they arent facts they are hearsay.

Please learn the difference

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Fact..the most overused and tenuously applied word in any football forum

Unless BJ told you these things to your face (or at the very least were publicly announced by a Club representative..like they would..NOT) they arent facts they are hearsay.

Please learn the difference
Thankyou saint66au.