HS Phantom Draft - Tanner Smith at #25, Ben Jacobs at #26

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

HS Phantom Draft - Tanner Smith at #25, Ben Jacobs at #26

First 30 picks are in the hard copy this morning..

Would we be happy with these two first off the bat? Smith read as a taller Simpkin, Jacobs has a laser left boot and appears to be a more physically imposing replacement for Gram.

The concern re Jacobs would be he's stated openly that he wanted to get to North Melbourne, but as long as he's 'home', it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Uncle Barrels on Fri 16 Nov 2012 10:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: HS Phantom Draft - Tanner Smith at #25, Ben Jacobs at #2

I don't know whether Jacobs is any good. I certainly don't know whether he's worth using our 2nd pick on.

But regardless, this bit conserns me:

"St Kilda and Western Bulldogs are best placed to spoil North Melbourne's party and steal homesick Port Adelaide defender Ben Jacobs.

But it shapes as a hefty investment given Jacobs, 20, is tipped to lump a mega price on his head ahead of Thursday's national draft."

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/nort ... 6517900642

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:I don't know whether Jacobs is any good. I certainly don't know whether he's worth using our 2nd pick on.

"St Kilda and Western Bulldogs are best placed to spoil North Melbourne's party and steal homesick Port Adelaide defender Ben Jacobs.

But it shapes as a hefty investment given Jacobs, 20, is tipped to lump a mega price on his head ahead of Thursday's national draft."

Has had a fair few injuries apparently too. I'm getting Xav Clarke bells ringing in my head.

I'd much rather someone like Lonergan (if he lasts that long)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters said on 3AW the other night that we will probably use all our picks on 18 year olds. That would rule Jacobs out (probably) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Uncle Barrels wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I don't know whether Jacobs is any good. I certainly don't know whether he's worth using our 2nd pick on.

Has had a fair few injuries apparently too. I'm getting Xav Clarke bells ringing in my head.

I'd much rather someone like Lonergan (if he lasts that long)
Wasn't glandular fever the reason why he missed so much footy in his first year. If we don't pick him up its because of either his attitude or someone better is available.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Scott Watters said on 3AW the other night that we will probably use all our picks on 18 year olds. That would rule Jacobs out (probably) !!
Probably, maybe or you think so?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Personally these two wouldn't be on top of my wish list but at the same time I wouldn't be entirely shattered either.

I'd say we would be fine to accomodate the $s that he puts on his head.

But if we took him over a Lonegan or someone rated in a similar way i'd be shocked.

I'm moving onto Corr or Clury over Smith but honestly its too hard to judge who may or may not be available. I'd love for us to publicly state we have no interest in Jacobs so that Norf get cocky and pass on him with pick 38 (to pick up later) only to take him with 41.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

it sounds like he's got a shite attitude.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:Scott Watters said on 3AW the other night that we will probably use all our picks on 18 year olds. That would rule Jacobs out (probably) !!
I will be disappointed if we dont pick up a mature aged key defender - it will mean another year of a struggling under sized defence getting smashed !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
shmic_s
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
I will be disappointed if we dont pick up a mature aged key defender - it will mean another year of a struggling under sized defence getting smashed !
I like what Post offers.
I was apprehensive at first (another Richmond reject), but speaking to some Rich supporters and watching a couple of games of his I've come around.
With Fisher, Gwilt, Dempster by his side, think he would provide us with what we are missing. A big tall body that can outmark or punch away from the Mitch Clarke, Tippet, resting ruckman types.
But the brains trust knows best, looking forward to seeing what they come up with next week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote: I like what Post offers.
I was apprehensive at first (another Richmond reject), but speaking to some Rich supporters and watching a couple of games of his I've come around.
Apparently he hasn’t nominated for the Draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfo ... 6517442679

“JAYDEN Post is the latest big name to hook up with a Western Region Football League club.

The key position prospect will return to reigning Division 1 premier Altona after being delisted by Richmond this year.Post, who notched 30 AFL games across four seasons, opted against nominating for the coming AFL Drafts.The 22-year-old will add versatility to Altona’s talent-laden side, after the club claimed its first premiership in the top grade this season.“One of the great things about Posty is that he has the ability to play in a number of roles,’’ Vikings coach Anthony Eames said.“We certainly know how strong he is overhead, he has a wonderful running capacity and a great work ethic. I think all those things combined, at 195cm, probably opens the door for us to do a number of things.’’

Eames said the signing of Post would not provide an instant recipe for further success. A leadership role for Post is yet to be considered, but Eames said the former Western Jets best and fairest winner would not be burdened by an official tag.Post also trained with Altona a handful of time this year while at Richmond.”

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I will be disappointed if we dont pick up a mature aged key defender - it will mean another year of a struggling under sized defence getting smashed !
No point picking one up unless they're likely to be in our next proper finals side, which isn't next year. Anyone of 22 or below would be fine, but above that you'd have to start to worry that they might not quite be there in five years when we're next close to challenging.

shmic_s
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
shmic_s wrote: I like what Post offers.
Apparently he hasn’t nominated for the Draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/localfo ... 6517442679

“JAYDEN Post is the latest big name to hook up with a Western Region Football League club.

The key position prospect will return to reigning Division 1 premier Altona after being delisted by Richmond this year.Post, who notched 30 AFL games across four seasons, opted against nominating for the coming AFL Drafts.The 22-year-old will add versatility to Altona’s talent-laden side, after the club claimed its first premiership in the top grade this season.“One of the great things about Posty is that he has the ability to play in a number of roles,’’ Vikings coach Anthony Eames said.“We certainly know how strong he is overhead, he has a wonderful running capacity and a great work ethic. I think all those things combined, at 195cm, probably opens the door for us to do a number of things.’’

Eames said the signing of Post would not provide an instant recipe for further success. A leadership role for Post is yet to be considered, but Eames said the former Western Jets best and fairest winner would not be burdened by an official tag.Post also trained with Altona a handful of time this year while at Richmond.”
Thanks for that Doc.
Wow, though he still had a bit to offer.

Good luck to him. Think he will dominate back there.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I will be disappointed if we dont pick up a mature aged key defender - it will mean another year of a struggling under sized defence getting smashed !
No point picking one up unless they're likely to be in our next proper finals side, which isn't next year. Anyone of 22 or below would be fine, but above that you'd have to start to worry that they might not quite be there in five years when we're next close to challenging.
That's why we also pick up couple of 18 y/o lads who can develop into replacements in 2-4 years. To be honest I think there is a lot of 'cat & mouse' stuff in media leading up to the draft. Scotty was just as likely just attempting to throw a curve ball to other interested clubs!

There is no garuntees we will get Brown next year and we don't have any other full backs in the wings so the club would be mad not to look at a ready made full back this year. Having said that blind Freddy could see we needed a full back and another ruckman this time last year and they didn't change so it may happen again - hopefully not!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ben Kennedy at pick 30.....WTF? Surely we would select him if the draft pans out that way.....Kennedy will be gone in the first 20 IMO.

paddy
Club Player

If we going to pick up 18year olds, my guess is we will be just getting the best available.

They have us picking up a tall defender, but we all know that it is very unlikely that an 18 year old will get a game first year, let alone make an impact...

Take best available to build for the future...

ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:it sounds like he's got a shite attitude.
He does not like playing for a bunch of losers who refuse to put in, he likes winning - how is that for attitude.

He would make an excellent replacement for Gram but without the booze, tattoos and half hearted efforts.

The great pity is that the club would have to sacrifice pick 26 just to replace Gram and not gain an addition to the team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Ben Kennedy at pick 30.....WTF?
It will be very interesting to see where Kennedy and Nathan Hrovat go. They may get cast as small forward/wings at AFL level. Then again, thanks to Jetta and the like I think those types are as valuable as they've been for several years. I think somebody takes a chance on both before our pick. It wouldn't be a horrible shock if either slipped though. Very few make it at that size.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
gringo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
It will be very interesting to see where Kennedy and Nathan Hrovat go. They may get cast as small forward/wings at AFL level. Then again, thanks to Jetta and the like I think those types are as valuable as they've been for several years. I think somebody takes a chance on both before our pick. It wouldn't be a horrible shock if either slipped though. Very few make it at that size.

Yeah both have a distinct possibility of sliding out. If Post hasn't nominated i think we should look at Scott Cloustens, he's a forward but could play back instead, very athletic and already played AFL with Brisbane and unlucky to get cut a few years ago when still a kid and has been ok at a lower level. Has the size and athleticism to be a good player and gets plenty of the footy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ben Kennedy was close to going to the Crows last year in the mini draft however they chose Crouch instead. Kennedy's value has gone down as his 2012 season didn't improve as much as some thought it should based on his 2011 season. Saying that, he was still very good and on talent alone he's considered at least a top 15 pick, even higher. He also has question marks over his attitude. Personal I hope we pick him if he's available cos the scope is there....He'll be gone tho IMO.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Kennedy is top 10 on record, but is simply labelled "too short".... but hey, Parker was top 10 on record but "too slow" and Sydney got him at 40.. so you gotta be careful... fact is, Kennedy has been near the top of the tree in juniors for 2 seasons and has played seniors at SANFL level with some success already.... he will be AFL ready even next year and will most likely be a good AFL player....if he gets to 25 then it may be a good get ..

lloyd21
Club Player

Too slow Kennedy hope not

SuperDuper
Club Player

Kennedy may be the next Brent Harvey.. who knows.. but if he is still around at 25, if anything that would make him a "slider"
It seems Adelaide will stay in the draft.. so I recon they will nab him if he makes it to 20

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Yeah both have a distinct possibility of sliding out. If Post hasn't nominated i think we should look at Scott Cloustens, he's a forward but could play back instead, very athletic and already played AFL with Brisbane and unlucky to get cut a few years ago when still a kid and has been ok at a lower level. Has the size and athleticism to be a good player and gets plenty of the footy.
Scott Cloustens??

This guys name still gets thrown around

gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Scott Cloustens??

This guys name still gets thrown around

He is a nice size and can play well at lower levels, he was cut at the Lions before getting to show what he could do. He has nominated after finishing his uni degree in Queensland and is supposedly a pretty good bloke. He's got good speed and athleticism but is a forward and might not translate into a defender as easily. He averages about 18 possessions as a forward at QAFL level and probably feels he's too good for the state league but may not be AFL standard but we need someone who can play as a tall defender from day one next year and if we could even get him in as a mature aged rookie it would at least be a possible. He is more likely to be Dawson like than Darren Glass but if cheap he is an option until Clurey, Rodda or Jakshe etc come on