Possible Saints Draft Picks - Who Do You Want?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Possible Saints Draft Picks - Who Do You Want?

Based on three phantom drafts, there's a set of players who we seem pretty likely to miss out on:

Lachie Whitfield (Herald-Sun: 1, Age: 1, AFL: 1)
Jono O'Rourke (2, 2, 2)
Lachie Plowman (3, 3, 3)
Jimmy Toumpas (4, 4, 4)
Jackson Macrae (5, 5, 5)
Ollie Wines (7, 7, 8)
Jake Stringer (14, 6, 6)
Sam Mayes (11, 8, 7)
Nick Vlastuin (9, 9, 9)
Troy Menzel (6, 11, 11)
Joe Daniher (10, 10, 10) (father-son)
Kristian Jaksch (8, 14, 12)
Aidan Corr (12, 12, 13)
Taylor Garner (13, 19, 14)
Josh Simpson (16, 17, 17)
Nathan Hrovat (15, 15, 21+)
Tim O'Brien (17, 18, 18)
Jesse Lonergan (20, 13, 21+)
Brodie Grundy (19, 20, 16)
Ben Kennedy (18, 21, 19)
Jack Viney (26, 24+, 21+) (father-son)

So rule all those out. Hrovat and Lonergan are the only ones of these who look like they could maybe possibly slide as one of the drafts didn't include each of them.

Then there's a set of players who are definite possibilities. They were included in one or more of the drafts at or around our first two picks, 24 and 25:

Mason Wood (22, 24+, 15) (192cm key forward)
Tim Membrey (21, 24+, 21+) (189cm marking forward)
Tom Clurey (24, 24+, 20) (193cm defender)
Nick Graham (23, 24+, 21+) (182cm inside midfielder)
Dayle Garlett (25, 24+, 21+) (180cm outside midfielder with "off-field problems")
Tim Broomhead (27, 24+, 21+) (182cm midfielder)
Nathan Wright (28, 24+, 21+) (185cm defender)
Tanner Smith (29, 23, 21+) (196cm defender)
Sam Colquhoun (30, 24+, 21+) (179cm running defender)
Jackson Thurlow (31+, 16, 21+) (189cm running defender)

Do you want any of these ten? And then there's everyone else. Register your preferences here and then you can avoid being accused of being a hindsighter!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible Saints Draft Picks - Who Do You Want?

Ashby, Colquhoun, tall mature from state league and a young tall defender to develop. Any good mid left at our pick like Garlett or another slider.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Presumably if Clurey and Smith are both available at 24/25 then we'll take one of them. I'm not massively convinced on Garlett but that's just because we've had enough off-field issues in the last few years - if the club takes a chance on him then I won't be too unhappy. Sounds like Wood is solid so we'd take him if he was still there even though he's more of a forward than defender. Membrey strikes me as being too short at AFL level for the role he knows how to play. I don't know much about any of the smalls so can't confidently predict on that front.

But overall I reckon 24 and 25 would be one tall and one small, so:

24: Wood/Clurey/Smith
25: Garlett/another small

After that, probably another tall and small, but maybe a mature player - I don't doubt that Pelchen has an ace up his sleeve that no-one else has thought of.

40: best available small
43: jack in the box tall from a state league

And then I reckon we'll not use 77 and leave it until PSD/rookie draft.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

One of Clurey, Smith, Liam McBean, even possibly Corr still around at 24, is a must. We need a tall defender to start developing on our list, cause right now there are zero. McBean is an interesting one, a 203cm tall defender. Any is rated anywhere from 20 to 40.

A tough inside mid would be nice. I'd love Lonegan to be available.

I think Garlett will go to the Pies before we get a chance, but if not, I'll be happy to follow the club on him. They know the true story more than any of us.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Even though I think we'll go FA for a KPD after next season, I still think we should add some KP depth. If Clurey slips to us, that'd be great. Otherwise Smith. Take the best player available with the other picks. If nobody slips, then maybe Nick Graham. Dean Towers is another one who might interest people.
Last edited by vacuous space on Thu 22 Nov 2012 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:One of Clurey, Smith, Liam McBean, even possibly Corr still around at 24, is a must. We need a tall defender to start developing on our list, cause right now there are zero. McBean is an interesting one, a 203cm tall defender. Any is rated anywhere from 20 to 40.

I think Garlett will go to the Pies before we get a chance, but if not, I'll be happy to follow the club on him. They know the true story more than any of us.
All the phantom drafts have Corr going at 12 or 13, so don't get your hopes up on him! Same with Lonergan.

They also all have Garlett sliding at least past 20, so maybe the Pies have gone cold on him?

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

bergholt wrote:Membrey strikes me as being too short at AFL level for the role he knows how to play.
Everything written about him reminds me of a young Aaron Hamill, who conveniently enough is back at the club and could be an excellent mentor for him. There's also been some discussion as to whether he could play up the levels as a part-time strong bodied mid.

Hamill (184cm, 94kg)
Membrey (188cm, 87kg)

Regardless, talent is talent and everyone agrees he has it. Would certainly be happy with him. Even with the fruity tough stickers.

Give me:
#24 Clurey
#25 Membrey/Lonergan/mid
#41 mid
#44 best available
#77 Jesse Wells
#91 Dunell U/G

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:One of Clurey, Smith, Liam McBean, even possibly Corr still around at 24, is a must. We need a tall defender to start developing on our list, cause right now there are zero. McBean is an interesting one, a 203cm tall defender. Any is rated anywhere from 20 to 40.

Aren't both Lever and Ferguson developing tall defenders? Not that I disagree with you. I hope we pick the best available tall defender with 24 or 25. And best available mid with the other. If that happens to be Garlett, then pick him IMO.

SS Hall of Fame

Garlett
Clurey
Lonergan
----
Take any combo of these 3 at 24/25 if they are still on the board,

If Clurey is gone then take a KD at 40 or 43.
If we get Clurey then take best available KF at 40 or 43

Not sold on Smith & wouldn't be surprised if Corr falls & is available at 24/25.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

24 St Kilda, Tom Clurey, Murray Bushrangers, 193cm
25 St Kilda, Dayle Garlett, Swan Districts (WA), 180cm
40 St Kilda, Michael Close 196 85
43 St Kilda, Tom Temay 180 78
75 St Kilda, Jack Frost, Joel Tippett, Justin Hardy or Wells (tassie).

3rd list installment.
St Kilda delisted Nicolas Winmar

Pre Season
Adam Cockie or Michael Sikora

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:Garlett
Clurey
Lonergan
----
Take any combo of these 3 at 24/25 if they are still on the board,

If Clurey is gone then take a KD at 40 or 43.
If we get Clurey then take best available KF at 40 or 43

Not sold on Smith & wouldn't be surprised if Corr falls & is available at 24/25.
Agree. If both Corr and Clurey are gone, it means a mid will be squeezed to us.

But I'd be happy with your selections and its similar to what I said about a week ago. One thing is for sure I cant wait til 7pm tonight!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote: 3rd list installment.
Why do you think we'd wait until the 3rd list lodgement to delist Winmar? Wouldn't we have just dumped him before the trade period if that was the plan?

damienc
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:24 St Kilda, Tom Clurey, Murray Bushrangers, 193cm

3rd list installment.

Pre Season
I like your thinking but I would have Garlett at 24 and Clurey 25. I also think Emma Quayle may be right with Tanner going to the Lions at pick 23. Don't know anything of Michael Close but it would be good to get Temay because of his Dad. Sadly I reckon you are also on the money for Winmar and Sikora is a big unit. Wonder if he could be moulded into a KPP defender?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:

Aren't both Lever and Ferguson developing tall defenders? Not that I disagree with you. I hope we pick the best available tall defender with 24 or 25. And best available mid with the other. If that happens to be Garlett, then pick him IMO.
Always thought Lever was a forward, but he's probably not a bad choice to develop into a defender though. And I see Ferguson as more of a Fisher/Gilbert type, rather than a key position player. But he probably has a few years growth left in him, so we'll see.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Garlett, Clurey, Rodda and Warrell. That would do nicely, especially as three of them are Sandgropers. Roberton in the PSD, an honorary Sandgroper.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:I like your thinking but I would have Garlett at 24 and Clurey 25.
Can you explain what earthly difference it could make who we name at 24 and who at 25?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:

All the phantom drafts have Corr going at 12 or 13, so don't get your hopes up on him! Same with Lonergan.

They also all have Garlett sliding at least past 20, so maybe the Pies have gone cold on him?
Kevin Sheehan gave me hope with Corr this morning, his "Top 30" prospects on Fox Sports had Corr coming to us, with Clurey being higher rated...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Always thought Lever was a forward, but he's probably not a bad choice to develop into a defender though. And I see Ferguson as more of a Fisher/Gilbert type, rather than a key position player. But he probably has a few years growth left in him, so we'll see.
Lever is definitely a defender. Played TAC and Sandy as a defender. I agree Ferg will probably end up a Fisher type rather than a monster stopper. Both are defenders though with Lever a possible ruck option down the tack if he starts eating. :D

8856brother wrote: Always thought Lever was a forward, but he's probably not a bad choice to develop into a defender though. And I see Ferguson as more of a Fisher/Gilbert type, rather than a key position player. But he probably has a few years growth left in him, so we'll see.
Lever is definitely a defender. Played TAC and Sandy as a defender. I agree Ferg will probably end up a Fisher type rather than a monster stopper. Both are defenders though with Lever a possible ruck option down the tack if he starts eating. :D[/quote]

Lever was s*** as a ruckman and was apparently why he went from a guy with massive potential to guy who just got drafted at the back end of the draft. He is a tall defender who is tall enough to be a ruckman.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:24 St Kilda, Tom Clurey, Murray Bushrangers, 193cm

3rd list installment.

Pre Season
Would be very pleased with this outcome ^^^

Always nice to see Saints supporting kids get drafted by the club. With Clurey it just adds a nice element to it, but in the 40+ picks it becomes more of a crap shoot, and Temay (I assume he's a supporter via Dad) you bank on the fact that that personal connection to the club adds a harder edge of determination to succeed over and above its being his occupation.

In addition to Siposs, it gives the bloke in the stands a nice warm glow and more of an affinity with the player. There is still some room for romance left in the modern game.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Would be surprised if winmar was delisted but you never know. Cockie will get a go I reckon. Probs psd if possible??? Love to see garlett get a go - why bloody not I say! If you can't beat it embrace it!
Think we still have a prob with my man milera wanting to go home...

#1 Ryder fan
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i must admit the Garlett thing has me a bit suspisious ... conveniently its reported in todays newspaper over her that a photo of him with a beer and a ciggy in his hands was posted to his instagram account ... why would you do that on the day before the draft ?? i reckon there may be a bit of sneeky moves to put him off a few clubs radars ... got a very Jack Darling feel to it ... in my opinion

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:Would be surprised if winmar was delisted but you never know. Cockie will get a go I reckon. Probs psd if possible??? Love to see garlett get a go - why bloody not I say! If you can't beat it embrace it!
Think we still have a prob with my man milera wanting to go home...
Why not would be because in 3 years time, when Garlett is running around the WAFL after being delisted by the Saints for "behavioral issues", we'll all be on here saying "Stupid Pelchin, why didn't we take [insert 22 year old gun taken after pick 25 in draft] instead"....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I'd go for...
24. Clurey or Corr, whoever is available.
25. Garnett
40. Jack Frost or Harley Walshe
43. Spencer White or Michael Close. If both gone maybe Tim Sumner or Marvin Warrell.
75. Adam Cockie.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Why not would be because in 3 years time, when Garlett is running around the WAFL after being delisted by the Saints for "behavioral issues", we'll all be on here saying "Stupid Pelchin, why didn't we take [insert 22 year old gun taken after pick 25 in draft] instead"....
Or in two years time, when he's saying "I'm homesick, and I only want to play for the Eagles" and we get shafted and get pick 193 for him, we'll be saying "Why do we keep picking kids from WA?"