Interesting comment from PELCHEN..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Interesting comment from PELCHEN..

When interviewed following the draft Chris PELCHEN was asked about the pre season and rookie drafts and he said at this time we dont have a choice in either draft.

(PSD and rookie draft) "At the moment we don't qualify for either of those drafts, but we'll revisit our list in coming days."

I believe the Saints thought that at least one of the young key talls would get through to our pick #40 and when they didn't it resulted in the pause before the selection.

The pause before pick #75 I believe was the result of Hawthorn taking Kaiden BRAND an 18 y/o 198cm athletic KPD - SANFL that we had an interest in. He played FB in a SANFL final and played very well apparently.

The club obviously understands we need a proven tall full back so I would suggest that there will be at least one more senior list delisting & possibly a rookie list delisting before the pre season & rookie drafts.

In the gun - Nicholas Winmar, Clinton Jones, Cam Shenton.

Staley may remain if they believe he can develop into a key back!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: Interesting comment from PELCHEN..

Going by that you would assume that there will be atleast 1 more delisting to come.

They were suprised with some of the talent that remained i.e Pierce so thought it was too good to pass up and will need to cut someone to use a pick on the psd and rookie drafts.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Clint Jones is contracted...

S.A Saint
Club Player

[quote="SainterK"]Clint Jones is contracted...[/quote]

Do you think that curren play a similar shutdown role to him until he gets more familiar with the rigors of being an afl mid?

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Clint Jones is contracted...
pay him out and delist him.
he doesn't have any value anymore

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Clint Jones is contracted...
Do you think that curren play a similar shutdown role to him until he gets more familiar with the rigors of being an afl mid?
Dunno, I just doubt they will delist him and pay him out...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jones is still needed and is a decent player. We can't afford to lose more senior players as well as Goddard and Gram.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Jones is still needed and is a decent player. We can't afford to lose more senior players as well as Goddard and Gram.
CJ has been a good servant however he is now a list clogger - he will not be the dfference of us playing finals or not...Agree pay out his contract & ask him to play for Sandringham?

The other thing of interest is I think the club felt burnt by Cripps going back to WA & Milera also wanting to return to SA. All our young recruits are VIc kids except for Murdoch who has a brother at Geelong. Zero 'go home' factor !

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

CJ a list clogger ... are you for real ? CJ has lots of value to the team he is still one of the best run with players in the comp. yes he has his flaws but delisting him for some kid for the sake of delisting is madness , a team rebuild has to be done in waves you cant just cut the whole team in one year or you run the risk of doing a Melbourne .... as for the comment of paying CJ out and then getting him to play for sandy what world are you living in ? if your an office worker and you get told your not required by the boss your not exactly going to go work as a cleaner in that office are you

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
gringo wrote:Jones is still needed and is a decent player. We can't afford to lose more senior players as well as Goddard and Gram.
CJ has been a good servant however he is now a list clogger - he will not be the dfference of us playing finals or not...Agree pay out his contract & ask him to play for Sandringham?

The other thing of interest is I think the club felt burnt by Cripps going back to WA & Milera also wanting to return to SA. All our young recruits are VIc kids except for Murdoch who has a brother at Geelong. Zero 'go home' factor !

Why the hell would he play for Sandy and who said Milera wanted to go back to SA?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Playing CJ next year will prove nothing than to slow the development of a young midfielder. If he is kept on it should be only to reward his previous service...We will not improve playing blokes like CJ with such poor skills.

Schillaci
Club Player

CJ is one of the best taggers in the game. Certainly no list clogger.
First I have heard about Milera wantn to leave as well. WTF

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Pelchen I think it was during the trade period indicated that Milera's partner wasn't happy in Melbourne & wanted to home. The club tried to work a trade but the Saa clubs weren't interested so he's staying.

CJ was a worthy player in the LYON lock down period, but he has no current value to the team. He simply doesn't hurt the opposition with the ball. Name one finals team who had a player running around with skills as poor as CJ?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:CJ a list clogger ... are you for real ? CJ has lots of value to the team he is still one of the best run with players in the comp. yes he has his flaws but delisting him for some kid for the sake of delisting is madness , a team rebuild has to be done in waves you cant just cut the whole team in one year or you run the risk of doing a Melbourne .... as for the comment of paying CJ out and then getting him to play for sandy what world are you living in ? if your an office worker and you get told your not required by the boss your not exactly going to go work as a cleaner in that office are you
I'll bet London to a brick that St.Kilda won't renew Jones contract next year

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I'll bet London to a brick that St.Kilda won't renew Jones contract next year

“Chuck in Birmingham and you're on magnifisaint”

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I'll bet London to a brick that St.Kilda won't renew Jones contract next year

“Chuck in Birmingham and you're on magnifisaint”
I'll raise you half of Europe

saint6709
Club Player

CJ has one of the biggest hearts going around and has value BUT he is 29 - we need to get tough - delist a couple more and make a couple more moves pre season - Roberton and a mature age FB in - someone has gotta go

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:CJ a list clogger ... are you for real ? CJ has lots of value to the team he is still one of the best run with players in the comp. yes he has his flaws but delisting him for some kid for the sake of delisting is madness , a team rebuild has to be done in waves you cant just cut the whole team in one year or you run the risk of doing a Melbourne .... as for the comment of paying CJ out and then getting him to play for sandy what world are you living in ? if your an office worker and you get told your not required by the boss your not exactly going to go work as a cleaner in that office are you
I'll bet London to a brick that St.Kilda won't renew Jones contract next year
your prob right he more than likely wont get a contract extention next year .. being 29 and the driection the club is headed he will prob be like Polo and Peake were this year but i still dont see him being delisted while he still has something to offer yes Scott will more than likely have younger players in his spot for round one and majority of the year but im sure there will be times when the younger blokes hit poor form or suffer injury or structure wise dont fit where CJ will get a run ... to the comment that keeping CJ on the list will hamper the kids development i think it will be the exact oppersite CJ has played in multiple finals in three grand finals has run with and beaten the best mids in the comp and has the reputation as one of the hardest trainers in the team ... i think the kids working next to a bloke like that will be better then a speculation pick that realistically EVERY SINGLE CLUB over looked at least 3 time in the draft ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Do we need a full back or not? I think the general consensus on here is that we do? To select another player we will have to delist a player. Moving forward in years who is most likely excess on the list? Kosi possibly but he would cost too much to delist - CJ or Winmar are the next most likely victims. Footy can be a tough industry and there is no longer room for sentiment with players !

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dony think we've done ourselves any favours playing CJ over the last 2 years. Overall has played about 10 really good games in 3 years

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

CJ is okish. I'd keep him for one last season.

But Winmar is no good IMO and should be cut.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbob
SS Life Member

CJ and Winmar were IMO VERY, very lucky to survive as it was.
I reckon one or both will be delisted to give us a few picks in the PSD

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Dony think we've done ourselves any favours playing CJ over the last 2 years. Overall has played about 10 really good games in 3 years
Maybe but that is because of the state of our list and that is not exactly his fault.

I was told that they wanted to drop him in 2011 for the game against Melbourne (which we won) but they decided against it as there was no one to replace him with.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Not really relevant, but the club had a favourite player in Brent Guerra, with a fair bit of skill and a lot of heart.
He got cut.
Different coaching panel, different circumstances, but nevertheless, a favourite son was cut.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St.Roly
Club Player

I must say, I've not previously heard it suggested that Goo was a "favourite son".

What I distinctly recall is the verified report that in an exercise where the players were asked to anonymously rate each other from most respected to least respected, Goo was taken aback to find that he was bottom of the pile. This was shortly before he was cut and is credited with turning around his attitude to giving maximum effort.