Jimmy -wants to lead - AFL.com.au

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy -wants to lead - AFL.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2012-12-09/gwilt

ST KILDA defender James Gwilt hopes to continue his evolution as a leader in 2013 and remain in the Saints' leadership group for the second straight season.

Gwilt, 26, was appointed to the group for the first time in February, about halfway through his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction, joining Nick Riewoldt, Nick Dal Santo, Sam Fisher, Ben McEvoy, Leigh Montagna, Adam Schneider and now-Bomber Brendon Goddard.

The 2013 group is likely to be finalised in the New Year, and when it is, Gwilt hopes he's in it once again.

"I've been around for a few years now and I've gone from being on the fringe to playing seniors, so I sort of knew I could have a good relationship with those younger fellas and the older guys as well," Gwilt told AFL.com.au from the Saints' Colorado altitude camp.

"It was a good challenge and hopefully I'll be in it again this year."

>>>>>>>>
Right now, he's not concerned about the Saints' inability to secure an experienced genuine tall defender in the trade or free agency period, and said their stocks were capable of taking another step despite the lack of a big backman.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The day he spoke to AFL.com.au he had just had a massage after returning from a 24km, four-hour hike that started at 4.30am.

"I think the blokes were pretty tired adjusting to the time difference more than altitude - it was a long trip [over], but I think everyone's pretty good now," he said.

"Altitude itself where we've staying isn't too bad, but we noticed it a bit going on the hikes when we were up the hill with the air and the lungs, but I've been pretty good.

"We started the hike off in the dark but we watched the sun rise and we walked through lots of pine trees and it was really nice … and very cold."

Gwilt, who is scheduled to notch up 100 games in round four against Essendon if all goes to plan, signed a new contract in June that locks him in until the end of 2014.

The electrician apprentice, who has two exams and plenty of on-the-job hours to log before he is fully qualified, said it was important to him to remain a one-club player.

"That's probably always been my mindset right from the start. I just wanted to stay at the one club because they kicked off my career and gave me the opportunities," he said.
---------------------------------------------

Good Luck Gwilty

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
damienc
Club Player

Re: Jimmy -wants to lead - AFL.com.au

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear this. Gwilt is a good man.

saintjake
Club Player

Great Article,

Hopefully with a full preseason we can see Gwilt get back to the level he was in 2010.

Megsie
Club Player

Jimmy you are a true "role model" always trying never give up.
your attitude to be loyal & hardworking has helped our club
have a great culture. You are what we love about st.kilda.
May you have many good years ahead of you & fullfil your
desire to be a "one club player"

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah love jimmy
be nice to see him get his 100 up with a win over the bumbers

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Be a few changes this year...

Out BJ Fisher?

In Sean Geary?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

2013 is shaping up as a fascinating year.

There has been a lot of new blood over the last two trade periods. Some of it should be ready to bloom in 2013, and some like Hickey may take another year or two.

Others slightly older like Stanley look set to make their mark.

I suspect some will push into the team, and that some will be pushed out. A bit of re-positioning too is in the air.

The make-up of the leadership team probably being just part of a bit of a make-over of the Saints.

I have always liked watching younger players emerge, and I suspect 2013 will be a year when many will get a chance to shine.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Megamaguire
Club Player

Jimmy in what he has achieved so far is a great story coming from such a lowly draft pick. Sounds like he is enjoying the Colorado trip too.
Wishing Jimmy all the best for 2013.

GO JIMMY!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
jimmy_slats
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:2013 is shaping up as a fascinating year.

There has been a lot of new blood over the last two trade periods. Some of it should be ready to bloom in 2013, and some like Hickey may take another year or two.

Others slightly older like Stanley look set to make their mark.

I suspect some will push into the team, and that some will be pushed out. A bit of re-positioning too is in the air.

The make-up of the leadership team probably being just part of a bit of a make-over of the Saints.

I have always liked watching younger players emerge, and I suspect 2013 will be a year when many will get a chance to shine.

I'm starting to get the feeling that we should be pretty excited about the people coming up at this club i didn't even realise that Gwilt was only 26 and as it has shown or last few years of trading bar the last 3 trade periods have produced little to none. Now we come into an interesting scenario where we have retained alot of our young players and it seams that the coaches have alot of faith in them which would suggest that unlike the last few years before Watters where we barely seen a young player make serious gain i think we will in the next few years!
i for one am very excited!!!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'