Considered criticisms of the Thommo years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: Considered criticisms of the Thommo years

BackFromUSA wrote:Just backing up StThomo (Grant) here on one point in particular.

Bevo always said that Grant gave him the freedon to make his choices ... much more so than previous coaches. He gave many examples at the chinese restaurant dinner I hosted to help raise the initial funding to continue Saintsational so that it didn't all have to come out of Damo's fathers pocket. God bless John. I still see him at Saints functions.

IMHO the recruiting during this era was more hit than miss with some absolute beauties late in the draft e.g. Sam Fisher, but other early valuable draft picks cruelled by injury.

The perception of Grant wearing too many hats came from his justifiably heavy involvement in list management / contracts which was fair enough IMHO because he was trying to ensure the playing list stayed together physically, spiritually and mentally.

Interestingly I believe the financial divide at Essendon and Swans due to their recruitment of Goddard and Tippett will potentially give an insight why massive individual salaries can be culturally difficult to manage in a TEAM game ... and the Old Saints and hopefully New Saints model of spreading the share of cap in a more even manner (less massive peaks) is the way to go. If I was a top 5 player at Essendon, I would certainly be wondering how much I was missing out on $ wise, now multiply that by stars of a Premiership team?

One final memory ... the team mantra of 100% effort and it's various permutations was something that Grant and I discussed in depth in the good old days of Saintsational and Saints Chat (the AFL run chat room) prior to the bickering of today ... when intelligent and meaningful discussion was valued amongst the die-hards amongst us and encouraged the coach of the time (Grant) to communicate this way with the fans. I sincerely hope that the stupidity and bickering will now disappear and be replaced with football discussions!
seriously mate, you need to post more. every post of yours is very level headed, you dont take shots at people, and its very informative.

another great post!!!

lefty
Club Player

I personally liked Grant. 2004 we really should of won it, same as 2009. 2005 and 2010 we were always just slightly off.

1. Player relationships
I remember Hamil was upset when Blight left, but soon after was getting along well with Grant, in fact most of the players liked Grant, and thats the key point. If your players don't like the coach, their attitude and heart for the club and team are not there. When that happens, your players are not on the same page, and they're not striving for that success. All it takes it one or two to disagree or hate, for the links to start falling apart, look at Ball. Ball would of never left the club with GT in charge. I think one person that probably didn't like GT was Fiora, but I think to be honest, Fiora needed a kick up the arse to get going, and its what some players need. Black was a good player, but he had personal issues and drinking problems, I don't think its fair to put the blame on him.

2. Game style
Smashing Geelong in the NAB cup by 100+ points, and then in round 1 of 2004 was awesome. Our game was really quite exciting to watch, and to be honest, it got us going places. There was not as much "gameplan" awareness as it is now, it was really Sydney who took that to the next level with the crappy flood style game. Unfortunately Ross took that to us as well, and 07 and 08 were wasted years, where we definitely under performed. I'm also still angry Ross got rid of Attard when he was really looking like a player before doing his knee and never got a chance, like a lot of others under him.

In terms of Ruckman, I don't think it was critical. Most of our Ruckman were very slow, if the ball hits the ground, forget it. You really need those Nick Nat fast tall running players. Ours was Blake. The main thing is you want a ruckman to win the tap outs, and to be honest, I don't think McEvoy does so very much at all. He's a good overhead mark around the ground though. I think trying to play Hamil in the 2005 prelim against Sydney was a roll of the dice, you could tell he was struggling, but there was really no one else to pick, we lacked some depth and key positions.

Ross did the same playing Eddy (IMO Armo should of been playing) and then playing Baker in the 2010 reply when you could clearly tell he was stuffed before the game began. The important thing to note here was Ross had some decent choices to pick (including Max), Grant didn't really have the depth in 05 as Ross did to cover for Hamil etc.

3. Wears his heart on his sleeve.
Always bleed for the club, and stood up for it. Stood up against the dodgy umpiring which in hindsight cost us a bit, but if you dont stand up they just get away with it. I thought the resting of players in 2004 to the movies was a pretty good idea tbh. You'll be surprised how a day or two off training can give your body. It was unfortunate that we lost that week, but it wasn't the end of the world, in fact, probably highlighted the fact to always keep on your toes.

4. About Guerra, whilst he's done wonders at the Hawks, most here in 2005 were already wanting him gone IIRC. He struggled playing up forward during finals and had little impact. Imo, it was a correct decision to move on.

5. I disagreed about trying to delist Milne (although at the time, there were others on here saying exactly the same thing). Yes he's struggled during finals and ultimately you need to perform, but his output is good and I don't think you'd find someone similar or better.

6. In terms of the Butters dispute, I don't know the full story, however if you are owed money, from any organization, for whats been agreed to, then its fine to take the employer to court. Butters obviously was angry at GT over a personal dispute and decided not to pay him what he was due. In reality, Butters should of been more professional than that and left his personal life affairs out of the workplace. In the end, IIRC, Grant got his money. I have no issue with that.

Overral I was happy with what Grant achieved. I really think hes sacking was still due to the personal dispute between Butters and himself. I really didn't feel it was due to finishing 8th or whatever it was. You could just feel and tell it. One day I'd be happy to see Grant as an assistant role or something again. I really think point #1 is the hardest thing to achieve, it really doesn't matter what gameplan you have, if your players don't believe in you, then it just wont work.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

lefty wrote:I personally liked Grant. 2004 we really should of won it, same as 2009. 2005 and 2010 we were always just slightly off.
<snip>
points 1 & 5 I think are related,
Black did have off-field issues and his girlfriend wanted to go back home to WA
Milne had issues - dare I say moral ones
I reckon GT didnt want that sort of behaviour at the club & has tried to justify it with poor away stats

Seeya
Kickit
Club Player

Just joined the forum particularly for this thread.

To me at the time 2004/2005 it was really exciting seeing the Saints become contenders.
In hindsite now, it almost seems as if we were too ambitious too soon. When you look at the ages of players like BJ, Ball, Riewoldt and Kosi, wow they were green.
The trouble was that the timing was off. Gehrig, Hamill, Thompson were all past their best while the younger players were yet to peak.
It probably didnt help that the draft in 2003 , 4, and 5 was as shallow as the previous ones were deep.

At the time Thommo left I was disappointed. ( we'd just made finals ).
At the time Lyon left, I felt there were a number of things that needed to be adressed. ( And I saw the appointment of Pelchen as a positive prior to Lyon moving on ).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Just joined the forum particularly for this thread.

To me at the time 2004/2005 it was really exciting seeing the Saints become contenders.
In hindsite now, it almost seems as if we were too ambitious too soon. When you look at the ages of players like BJ, Ball, Riewoldt and Kosi, wow they were green.
The trouble was that the timing was off. Gehrig, Hamill, Thompson were all past their best while the younger players were yet to peak.
It probably didnt help that the draft in 2003 , 4, and 5 was as shallow as the previous ones were deep.

At the time Lyon left, I felt there were a number of things that needed to be adressed. ( And I saw the appointment of Pelchen as a positive prior to Lyon moving on ).
Yeah was pretty devestating when Thommo got sacked. I thought we had chucked away any chance for a long while. It all seemed over his soap opera dealings with Buterss too which made it really hard to swallow.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

hungry for a premiership wrote:GT brought somewhat of a revolution to the St.K FC and did a lot of great things, but he would be the first to admit he's not without his flaws. What are they?...

... StThommo, ... I hope you stick around and of course, I'd love to know what you think of my three fair, considered criticisms of your time as coach!

-HFAP
Hi HFAP, well you've even lured the man himself (... and also StThommo, I noticed 8-) ) over to post in this thread.

One little request for your consideration... in the interests of encouraging continued detailed analysis and assessment from all our posters..., :wink: I think that this thread's title would more accurately reflect your intentions if it read... "Considered critique of the Thommo years".
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Wed 12 Dec 2012 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:Just joined the forum particularly for this thread.

G, Hamill and Thomo were not passed their peak in 04/05/. That is false.

2006 and 2011 coaching changes were the right moves.

Anyway, welcome to sainsaitional.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't understand why Ross sacked Brett Voss - he was still playing good footy when he left. I still remember thinking he was cutting the list way too hard and getting rid of way to many solid players. I think Vossy might have been too good a bloke and didn't have the same killer competitive drive his brother had.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

GT - you're biggest problem in the last half of 2004 was combatting The uber flood That most teams emloyed against us to stop our run.

It seemed our team of the time had no idea how to break it.

Your take?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'd say Grants biggest flaw was not knowing when to step back and relinquish power.

Came in as a caretaker coach after the Blight mess (we p!ssed away a cool $1m don't forget ...) and was the right person to help stabilize us at that time but thereafter should have focused energies on finding a seasoned, pro AFL career coach.

Of ourse hindsight is great and plenty history being written in this thread but (and I know some will jump to Grants defense) I'm convinced had we had a side with seasoned Hamill, Gehrig, Harvey's, Hayes, Everitts etc on top of youth like Roo, Dal, Fishers AND Lyon as coach we'd have a flag by now.

“Yeah….nah””
StThomo
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:GT - you're biggest problem in the last half of 2004 was combatting The uber flood That most teams emloyed against us to stop our run.

Your take?
"No idea" is a tad harsh but generally speaking it is difficult to dispute your claim.
The teams that defeated us in the last half of 2004 were serious final contenders such as Port, Lions, Cats, Swans, Demons etc (WB was a bad day mentally after not reacting well to our first defeat of the season in Rd 11 to Swans). We were still relatively immature as a footy team so were a vulnerable target after an imposing start to the season. They did their research and we didnt handle it well enough and thats my fault. Our performance early 2004 was slightly inflated by a soft draw (7 of the 10 games were against non-finalsists). It gave the serious teams ample time to plot a plan against an emerging team. We failed to adapt quickly enough however after a disastrous first final up at the Gabba we rallied to come pretty close to getting a GF spot.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Someone mentioned that GT didn't rate ruckmen. I don't remember that as being fact at all. I think you'll find that he doesn't rate 'immobile, dinosaur" ruckmen. I think I remember him quoted as saying words to that effect. Remember, we nearly had Dean Cox at our club during GT's time.

We also nearly had Peter Matera at the club during Kenny's time.....but that's another story!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

StThomo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:GT - you're biggest problem in the last half of 2004 was combatting The uber flood That most teams emloyed against us to stop our run.

Your take?
"No idea" is a tad harsh but generally speaking it is difficult to dispute your claim.
The teams that defeated us in the last half of 2004 were serious final contenders such as Port, Lions, Cats, Swans, Demons etc (WB was a bad day mentally after not reacting well to our first defeat of the season in Rd 11 to Swans). We were still relatively immature as a footy team so were a vulnerable target after an imposing start to the season. They did their research and we didnt handle it well enough and thats my fault. Our performance early 2004 was slightly inflated by a soft draw (7 of the 10 games were against non-finalsists). It gave the serious teams ample time to plot a plan against an emerging team. We failed to adapt quickly enough however after a disastrous first final up at the Gabba we rallied to come pretty close to getting a GF spot.
Makes sense what you're saying.

Isn't it amazing to think how far the game has progressed tactically since then?

Even the poor teams of now have structures in place probably on par with the very top sides of 2004 vintage!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

StThomo wrote:

Your take?
Thomo, remeber when you started lenny on the bench that day against the dogs and the stir that caused? These days that wouldn't even get a mention.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

SENsaintsational wrote:Someone mentioned that GT didn't rate ruckmen. I don't remember that as being fact at all. I think you'll find that he doesn't rate 'immobile, dinosaur" ruckmen. I think I remember him quoted as saying words to that effect. Remember, we nearly had Dean Cox at our club during GT's time.

We also nearly had Peter Matera at the club during Kenny's time.....but that's another story!

I think GT has been vindicated if you look at the 2012 team stats re: - tap/hitout stats vs clearances.

The team stats showed WCE had 15 extra hitouts on average (compared to the overall AFL team average) - thanks to their 2 "master" tap ruckmen - but that clear hitout advantage didn't translate into an advantage in clearances. WCE only had an average amount of clearances! !!

These are damning stats.

So, I agree with GT - the best ruckmen are athletic, quick, high marking types who can gather their fair share of possessions - say 15-20 disposals per game. Tap/Hit out numbers (even from the 2 best ruck combination) are meaningless - and I reckon we rate "tap" ruckmen way too highly.
Conversely, the clearance players don't get enough praise.

Hickey needs to be a player with the potential to gather many possessions around the ground, first and foremost.
Otherwise, we have Blake. :|

aaron82
Club Player

I think GT has been vindicated if you look at the 2012 team stats re: - tap/hitout stats vs clearances.

The team stats showed WCE had 15 extra hitouts on average (compared to the overall AFL team average) - thanks to their 2 "master" tap ruckmen - but that clear hitout advantage didn't translate into an advantage in clearances. WCE only had an average amount of clearances! !!

These are damning stats.

So, I agree with GT - the best ruckmen are athletic, quick, high marking types who can gather their fair share of possessions - say 15-20 disposals per game. Tap/Hit out numbers (even from the 2 best ruck combination) are meaningless - and I reckon we rate "tap" ruckmen way too highly.
Conversely, the clearance players don't get enough praise.

Hickey needs to be a player with the potential to gather many possessions around the ground, first and foremost.
Otherwise, we have Blake. :|[/quote]

I agree with Samoht to an extent. You don't want a triple bagel style Trent Knobel ruckman running around.
Our ruck stocks have been a weakness for some time. Hopefully McEvoy will continue to improve. Recruiting Hickey will certainly help us in that area.
Our clearance work isn't too bad after the intial bounce.

I'd love to know the figure's on a clean take away from a centre bounce. We have been terrible in this area in recent years. I cannot recall any of our ruckman hitting a clean tap straight to a midfielder on the burst to have a shot at goal. Not only that some of the opposition ruckman have monstered us over the past 2 years picking up their only votes of the season against us.

and that's the bottom line
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

aaron82 wrote: My favourite day at the football was when we poleaxed Carlton at Optus Oval in late 2003. As GT stated they had over the years given us some fearful hidings and to kick them whilst they were down on their home turf was as good as a finals win.

Agreed, that day late in 2003 stands out like a beacon in my memory, too. I had never in my life up until that point expected to see us go over to princes park and absolutely own carlton like we did. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen, and instilled a sense of belief previously unknown.

And, here's a bit of trivia for you.... that day was particularly memorable for another reason, too.... I'll give you a hint: Pura Milk.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

StThomo wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:GT brought somewhat of a revolution to the St.K FC and did a lot of great things, but he would be the first to admit he's not without his flaws. What are they?

His strengths were great: He was/is first class when it comes to dealing with / teaching young men how to grow and mature into adults - he's a great teacher of kids - and his brand of footy is an exciting one to watch.

IMHO, he had 3 clear flaws / weaknesses -

1.) Not enough credence given to sports-science / player management / coaching infrastructure.

2.) Lack of match-day tactical nous

3.) Too much love given to only a certain few players who he would select above all others even if they were carrying injuries. As evidence of this I cite Brent Guerra and Heath Black, two gun players who I felt weren't given a fair opportunity by Thommo because they weren't a part of his special group.

StThommo, as I said on your other thread, I am thankful from the bottom of my heart for those great times in 04-05 that you brought us, and its absolutely saintsational that would would come on here and talk to us, but OMG the grovelling on that last thread was enough to make me want to puke, and I just had to bring some balance back. I hope you stick around and of course, I'd love to know what you think of my three fair, considered criticisms of your time as coach!

-HFAP
There are a lot of myths in footy - more than any other industry ive been involved in. To continually hear the way we played as "exciting to watch" doesnt clearly define the courage and effort of the playing group and I know that doesnt sit well with them. The team was incredibly brave and selfless. I tend to put it down to the supporters being starved of dominating teams like Carl, Ess, Coll & Rich who historically "owned" us. Your comments are fair and understandable however I have more than 3 clear flaws so I appreciate the favorable consiuderation there. I relation to the points I make the following remarks:
1.) We initiated altitude training in Potchestroom Sth Africa along with overseas training camps (also founded community camps you may remember). For memory we were either 14th or 15th in footy department spend which severely affected our ability to research, develop and invest in sports science albeit we implemented several intiiatives such as the "Wellness Program". I clearly remember pleading to the Board from 2000 as a Director until 2006 as coach that we must support our emerging, talented list with a commensurate level of off-field infrastructure & support to maximise their potential. I consider our player management strategies to have been "in-front-of-the-game". We must remember that most of the, lets call them "key" injuries - without any disrespect to lesser lights - were a result of knees, shoulders, broken legs, broken jaws and collision injuries. The soft tissue legend is exaggerated. Our Doctor is still there. Our physio was recruited by the Suns and still heads up their training regime. I still made some poor decisions in Training Services and contrary to popular belief it was by delegating and giving autonomy rather than too much control. Ask them, ask Bevo ask any staff member of the time. I completely subscribe to delegation. I was/am demanding - no mystery there. Our coaching/management regime was ahead of its time.
2.) Agree completely. I was heavily focussed on attitude and effort and at times it was to the detriment of game nuances. However I would like to think that the number of games "affected" by A&E against "match-day nous" was unanimous. I can equally remember several instances of terrific strategic planning that impacted the result and most would never have picked it up. Match day is tactically over rated outside what you have planned for and changing the outcome with matchups or a tactic during the game is more legend than fact. In essence I made sure they came to play. Whilst I was responsible for overall performance I allowed Bundy, Crippa, Jason, Burkey, Wal, Micky & others manage their responsibilities be it offence or defence when we coached to that structure or forwards, backs or midfielders under that system.
3.) Guilty as charged your Honor! Blacky & Goo were coached and managed very hard by me. I would equally be surprised if they didnt appreciate it in hindsight. Sometimes players need another last chance environment - such as Goo - for the penny to drop whilst others had some private issues that made preparation and commitment to the game difficult such as Blacky. We were an anywhere, anytime, anyhow team and the leaders just lost confidence in consistency of effort and reliability. Both on their day were terrific players and very valuable - some get through the net. Regarding the "love' thing? I'll wear that albeit its not a term that is usually related to my coaching style. Im like everyone else I suppose & can get seduced by effort & attitude of some such as Lenny (guilty), Roo (guilty), Vossy (guilty), Goose (guilty), Sammy (guilty), Neil (guilty), Bally (guilty), Powelly (guilty), Max (guilty), Bakes (guilty) etc etc to name a few.
Your views are considered, respectful and have merit. I had some weaknesses and some strengths. Undoubtably some things could have been handled better which affected the results. Equally there was some outstanding things achieved beyond expectation that have somewhat clouded external reality.
Great questions "HFAP" and thanks for the opportunity to discuss them with you and the fans. Hope they provide some clarity and understanding - maybe even some other robust debates which is fine!!
Cheers

Wow, thanks StThommo!!! You should know that I feel privileged and honored to get your personal thoughts and opinions to my questions.
I know that for me personally, and I'm pretty sure for every footy fan, I'd in all honesty probably give my left testicle to be a 'fly-on-the-wall' in the inner-sanctum of my footy team, to be there in the rooms for the pre-match adresses, to be in the coaches box during a game, to be in the 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles, etc, to gain insight into the minds and lives and workings of this team that, for reasons outside my control, is so fundamental to life as I know it! When St.Kilda wins, I am happy and life is more or less good. When we lose, a cloud gathers over my head and I have to suck up my frustration all week and wait for the weekend when we have another chance to win. Basically what I'm saying is that I really really appreciate the oppurtunity to engage with you here, and your words and opinions are very valuable to me!... And please, I am no judge and I charge you with nothing! If you grant me the credence to make judgements, then my judgement of your time as coach is nothing less than a commendation of almost the highest order! In fact, in all the time I've been a saints member (since 1990), your my 2nd favourite coach, behind Ross Lyon. 3rd is Stan Alves and then Ken Sheldon. Malcolm Blight is hands down at the bottom of the list, and I can't imagine I'll ever see a worse St.Kilda coach than him (at least I certainly hope not).

In response to your response:

1.) Very interesting. From what you've said, it would seem that it was not you, but the board who didn't give enough credence to the footy department. On the one hand, you were bringing in cutting-edge initiatives, whilst on the other, the board languished in last / 2nd last place on the footy dept. spending ladder. Okay, cool, I can blame the board for those injuries that cost us if not the flag, then at least a GF berth in '05, from now on (the last quarter of the '05 prelim was the most gut-wrenching 30 mins of my life, and I need someone to blame, and I don't blame the players. We had that frigging game in our pockets only to humbly lay down and die as we were literally bent over and molested. At least, that's how I recall it).

2.) As usual, I admire your honesty and integrity. But, I've gotta say, I disagree with your comments about A&E vs tactical ability. Maybe in days past, when footballers weren't exactly what you'd call elite, world-class athletes, in those days the team with the greater A&E would win most games, but in this day and age, they indeed are elite, and you can be nigh on certain that every team is going to "come-to-play" (with the exception of port), and that the players of every team will give 100% effort all the time. The thing that I noticed when RL became our coach was that when the opposition got on top of us, they would rarely ever break us, and this enabled us to go on to win games that we would have previously lost. Now, I don't think for a second that the players were giving more effort for Ross than they were for you, so I can only put this down to tactics. And when I say "tactics", I'm not purely talking about match-day decisions like match-ups and interchange rotations and who to tag and positional moves etc... I'm also talking about the tactical mindset that has been ingrained into the players from pre-season. As football becomes increasingly more proffesional, the more the tactical ability of a coach will be worth its weight in gold, IMO.

3.) As I am not in the club, it's impossible for me to know what the A&E of players like Black and Guerra was like... all I can talk about is what I saw on the field, and I could never understand why either of them was allowed to go. Yes, it has since come out that Heath was in a severe battle with depression, and it may well be as Stinger said that he's a tool of a bloke, but the thing is this: St.Kilda exists to win games of football, not to foster Nobel Prize winners. I would have thought that we want good footballers 1st on our team, with the matter of what kind of bloke they are a distant 2nd. With Guerra, you say that "the penny dropped" after he left st.kilda and went to hawthorn, but from everything I saw on the field, he was every bit as good a player at St.Kilda as he has been at Hawthorn. Probably the 'tough-love' you gave him has indeed been good for him in the long run and turned him into a better off-field performer, but at the end of the day, it's what you do on the field that counts, and I was bitterly disappointed when he was shown the door, because I thought he did more than enough on the field to warrant his continued place in the team....

StThommo, I've got one more question, but I'm almost afraid to ask, because it feels as though its a personal question, but really it isn't. Still, though, I won't be offended if you don't answer (even though I'd really like it if you did!)

My question is this: Why, in all honesty, were you fired? Your performance in terms of win/loss certainly did not justify your sacking. You'd just taken us to 3 successive finals campains, something that hadn't happened for eons. I was sure that you'd eventually take us to a flag, and I still believe this to quite a large degree. So why were you sacked? I think the "too-many-hats" thing was the official reason given, but its pretty obvious that this was just a smoke-screen for the real reason.....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

what i said about black and i quote was ..

"black didn't want to be there....."

i think you will find someone else called him a prick...not me...

it's hard enough on here without being credited with insulting a saints player when you haven't.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...now if you want to talk about guerra..... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints43
Club Player

hungry for a premiership wrote:And, here's a bit of trivia for you.... that day was particularly memorable for another reason, too.... I'll give you a hint: Pura Milk.
I don't know how anyone could hate the yellow jumper after smashing carlton at pp that day.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Hungry. I believe that the dispute between Grant and Rod was deeply personal (and best described as philosophical differences in life) and the whole topic should be left alone as it derives no benefit being discussed. The unfortunate element was that a personal dispute spilled over into the running of the football club. Realistically that happens at every club and within most organizations - although perhaps not as publicly as this one did. Both contributed to the club with the very best of intention and both left the club better off than they found it - so both should be thanked for their efforts.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:But, I've gotta say, I disagree with your comments about A&E vs tactical ability. Maybe in days past, when footballers weren't exactly what you'd call elite, world-class athletes, in those days the team with the greater A&E would win most games, but in this day and age, they indeed are elite, and you can be nigh on certain that every team is going to "come-to-play" (with the exception of port), and that the players of every team will give 100% effort all the time.
I think you're wrong on this.

In the old days, footballers weren't elite and some were therefore naturally fitter/stronger/better than others. So there were two ways to succeed. If you were Plugger or Gazza, even if you didn't train hard, you could just rely on your natural gifts to carry you through on the particular days were you weren't quite mentally focused. On the other hand, if you were Harvs or Hird, you could prepare better than anyone else, give 110% every time out and be a champion thanks to your effort rather than so much your natural ability.

However, these days everyone trains hard or they find themselves out on the street. And every team has a similar distribution of natural talent because the draft is broadly efficient. So it all comes down to Attitude and Effort. The marginal benefit from being slightly more switched on is bigger than it ever has been because the off-field stuff is more similar than ever.

I reckon you can see the A&E rise and fall on a weekly basis. How else to explain - for example - our poor loss to North followed by our great win over Essendon? Did so much change in the training effort or the players' natural ability that week? Or was it just that the mental aspect can turn really quickly?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

One of GT's biggest "Pros" was before he was coach.

STAGE 1 was GT, MK, RB, WW and others

1/ The attitude & cultural change : to aim for excellence and be more professional. This wasa step-change for the better, and is still being improved on.

and 2/ and I do not think mentioned by others : the recruiting coup in securing so many stars and good players from other clubs in a short period of time. Hamill, GTrain, Penny as well as the Voss's.

10/10 Indeed make that a 12/10 as we were a mess.

..and then the coaching years

STAGE 2
Good fostering of the boon of an abundance of early picks, plus the BJ bonus from the Blue's cheating. This plus the players from other clubs, with the core of players from the 97 GF team gave a great basis to go forward.

Self-belief and greater work-rate lead to marked improvement once the younger talent started to thrive. The development of our shock and awe game plan made the most of our strengths. However like Achilles it also became our, and GT's coaching downfall.

One of the reason's I love AFL is that it is a moving feast. The game keeps developing and evolving. You either keep evolving, or you get left behind.

We were great on the attack, but grew impotent to stop other teams on a roll. With their flooding and pressing the Saints became easier to stop, but in reply we could not do likewise.

Exacerbating this was that our ability to draft good kids relative to where they were being taken was getting worse and worse and in the last part of the GT era it was dismal. A trait that continued in the early part of the Lyon era, where good trades rather than our poor pick selection allowed some improvement. JB was good in his time, but in the naughties the Saints were effectively using "horse & buggy" recruiting methods, whereas the best clubs had moved on. For whatever reason, the Saints had not and in both the latter GT years and the Lyon years this stymied us.

A stagnated gameplan, poor recruiting of kids was now biting. At the same-time the fractures off the field with RB and elements of the board were starting to bite. Not laying blame either way, but people pulling in different directions is not good for any club, or business. One of GT's early statements was along the lines of sustainable success. That he ushered in, but in the latter years the fractures was holding the club back.

Time for a change. As in the other thread where GT indicated that Lyon had a use by date. GT had reached his.

His early coaching years would be say an 8 or9/10, but finished on say a 6 or 7.

OVERALL

We are a better club for GT passing through. Of that is no doubt. He will not be the last coach, or player, to leave in a bit of turmoil. Unfortunately that is a common occurance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thought Thomas did a very good job in setting us up for sustained success and instilled a higher set of expectations around the place due to our improved performances under his tutelage. Thought his best game strategically was the final in Adelaide 2005, with the draw against Sydney in 2002 another strong coaching performance.

What I have always wanted to ask him is why did he allow and encourage the players to take their foot off the accelerator in 2004 when we were absolutely flying? We dominated the whole competition for the first half of that year. The decision to take the night off and go the movies robbed us of momentum in what should have been at least as good a season as 2009 turned out to be. Losing to the Swans in Sydney and the Bullies at the G in successive weeks ( four out of the next five weeks after giving the players the night off resulted in losses) allowed Port and the Lions back in with a sniff and cost us dearly.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Thought Thomas did a very good job in setting us up for sustained success and instilled a higher set of expectations around the place due to our improved performances under his tutelage. Thought his best game strategically was the final in Adelaide 2005, with the draw against Sydney in 2002 another strong coaching performance.

What I have always wanted to ask him is why did he allow and encourage the players to take their foot off the accelerator in 2004 when we were absolutely flying? We dominated the whole competition for the first half of that year. The decision to take the night off and go the movies robbed us of momentum in what should have been at least as good a season as 2009 turned out to be. Losing to the Swans in Sydney and the Bullies at the G in successive weeks ( four out of the next five weeks after giving the players the night off resulted in losses) allowed Port and the Lions back in with a sniff and cost us dearly.
going to the movies had absolutely nothing to do with it..lol...I can't believe you bought that HS crap. :D