2013 how do we improve ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

2013 how do we improve ?

If you review the games we lost last year, generally there were three things that occurred -

1. The opposition tall forwards dominated us;

2. The opposition small forwards got away and kicked too many; or

3. The opposition ruckman dominated the game.

The other issues the club will need to address is how to pick up the ‘team defence’ and how to fill the roles Goddard and Gram played in defence?

The club made recruiting another ruckman a priority and attempted to recruit a ready to go key position backmen. Having said that we will need a marked improvement from McEvoy in hit outs to advantage, which hopefully Hickey will also improve.

It would appear that Watters intends to play Stanley as a tall defender. The fate of our defence shutting down the opposition tall forwards will largely depend on his success and the improvement of Simpkin. Simpkin still has a way to go but his development will be important as we will need Fisher to play his defensive roving - chop out role.

Replacing Goddard and Gram will not be easy as some might suggest. Goddard played a great steadying role across the back line and was dangerous when running through the centre. It looks like Siposs is being groomed to fill that role, but in the short term Gwilt will be released to do the job.

Geary improved last year but a number of small forwards got away and kicked a lot more than they should have. To assist him it looks like Ledger is being groomed to fill the role, this appears to be a great move by the coaches. Ledger needs game time and this is the perfect position to use his talents and develop him at the same time. He could provide the run from behind that Gram did on occasions. It has been mentioned before but I believe it is a role Schneider would also excel at !

In the main our ‘team defence’ seemed to put under the most pressure by the oppositions ability to win clearances far too readily. We need our ruckman to become more competitive and introduce more mobility through the midfield! Lets hope Newnes and Ross can have break out years. Geary uses his run through the middle, TDL, Dunell, Gilbert and Schneider give us some run across the wings and Jones can return to his confident aggressive self - if so we can expect the improvement required to take us back into finals contention.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2013 how do we improve ?

We won't

But a lot will develop....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We won't

But a lot will develop....
I'm with Marto here... I didn't want to say it for risk of always being negative.

We are not only short on players in the 20-26 bracket, we don't have any stars in this bracket, the guys (stanley, siposs, newnes, markworth, lee) we are banking on to become stars have a very long way to go.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought they improved considerably between the start of last season and the end...hopefully we see more of that.

irinajackeb

Hi! I really like your page very much. It contains a very usefull information. Thanks

alexjack
matrix
Saintsational Legend

hi
i really like your post very much
'it contains f*** all info
cheers
:D

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:If you review the games we lost last year, generally there were three things that occurred -

The other issues the club will need to address is how to pick up the ‘team defence’ and how to fill the roles Goddard and Gram played in defence?

The club made recruiting another ruckman a priority and attempted to recruit a ready to go key position backmen. Having said that we will need a marked improvement from McEvoy in hit outs to advantage, which hopefully Hickey will also improve.

It would appear that Watters intends to play Stanley as a tall defender. The fate of our defence shutting down the opposition tall forwards will largely depend on his success and the improvement of Simpkin. Simpkin still has a way to go but his development will be important as we will need Fisher to play his defensive roving - chop out role.

Replacing Goddard and Gram will not be easy as some might suggest. Goddard played a great steadying role across the back line and was dangerous when running through the centre. It looks like Siposs is being groomed to fill that role, but in the short term Gwilt will be released to do the job.

Geary improved last year but a number of small forwards got away and kicked a lot more than they should have. To assist him it looks like Ledger is being groomed to fill the role, this appears to be a great move by the coaches. Ledger needs game time and this is the perfect position to use his talents and develop him at the same time. He could provide the run from behind that Gram did on occasions. It has been mentioned before but I believe it is a role Schneider would also excel at !

In the main our ‘team defence’ seemed to put under the most pressure by the oppositions ability to win clearances far too readily. We need our ruckman to become more competitive and introduce more mobility through the midfield! Lets hope Newnes and Ross can have break out years. Geary uses his run through the middle, TDL, Dunell, Gilbert and Schneider give us some run across the wings and Jones can return to his confident aggressive self - if so we can expect the improvement required to take us back into finals contention.

I agree with point 1 and 3 and on occasions 3 turned into 1, but I could not remember too many smalls doing the job on us but could be wrong.

In 2013 our improvement will come from our coach learning and building from last year.
Finally we have a coach to make the hard decisions like drop Kosi, Jones, and fire Clarke, Polo, Peake and Gram (continuing to break the law).
Although the above players have played some good games for us, but for too long we have been waiting for improvement and consistancy which all of the above bar Jones have delievered.
Jones is on the list as we can no longer carry players that can not kick as opposition teams use that against us but would definately keep him as depth.

Plus we did not give in and pay overs for a non-accountable finger pointing utility. Boy do I hope it back fires on Essendon.

Already this is an improvement.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

I think history tends to repeat itself.

If you negative lot think back to Ross Lyon's first year, didn't we finish the year in 10th spot with a pretty good list of champions at our disposal. One can expect a shakey start to a Coach's first year because he has a lot to learn about the players and the players have a lot to learn about the coach including a new game plan. We did pretty well after that in the years following under Ross Lyon.

Now , take last year being Scotty's first year as coach, we finished 9th. Scotty had the same problems as Ross - learn about the playing list, a new game plan etc.
Scotty, like Ross, has a full year behind him and in that year, I believe he has accomplished more than Ross did in that time when you compare the playing list now, the coaching panel now and the way the Club is progressing in developing for the future - don't forget we also have a new top rated Board at the top of the tree as well.

So, I'm not as negative as a lot of you guys and will see history repeat itself by making the eight, proberbly 6th, in 2013.
Last edited by GoSaintersGo on Tue 05 Feb 2013 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Chris Scott and Brenton Sanderson rang. They want to discuss the "shakey start to a Coach's first year" theory.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think Lyon had squeezed every bit of energy out of the senior core and Watters inherited an emotionally jaded squad. That on top of the clubs lack of developed replacement players caused our decline last year ! Having said that I believe that there will be improvement this year - whether it is enough only time will tell !

This article shows that we simply couldn't match it with the top 8 teams, lets hope things change -

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... 2duje.html

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:If you review the games we lost last year, generally there were three things that occurred -

I agree with point 1 and 3 and on occasions 3 turned into 1, but I could not remember too many smalls doing the job on us but could be wrong.

In 2013 our improvement will come from our coach learning and building from last year.
Finally we have a coach to make the hard decisions like drop Kosi, Jones, and fire Clarke, Polo, Peake and Gram (continuing to break the law).
Although the above players have played some good games for us, but for too long we have been waiting for improvement and consistancy which all of the above bar Jones have delievered.
Jones is on the list as we can no longer carry players that can not kick as opposition teams use that against us but would definately keep him as depth.

Plus we did not give in and pay overs for a non-accountable finger pointing utility. Boy do I hope it back fires on Essendon.

Already this is an improvement.
Lol i didn't think this would happen to essendon. Oh well BJ, hope you like the bottom of the ladder the next few years

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

That Danks dude could really help us improve........................................

Rosco
Club Player

Or we could stay clean and hope all of the other clubs get nailed for performance enhancing drugs.

felix
Club Player

Dunnell will improve the saints in 2013. Combined with Stanley and Saad their pace and evovlving class will make us a better team in2013.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dank and Robinson will be available....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

suplements aparantly works wonders