Big Beau

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Big Beau

Everything works in partnerships. Beau compliments the small forward squad we have. He also compliments Riewoldt. If you think of him in isolation you're not looking at the big picture - our forward structure.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

PJ wrote:Everything works in partnerships. Beau compliments the small forward squad we have. He also compliments Riewoldt. If you think of him in isolation you're not looking at the big picture - our forward structure.
complements (as in completes). :wink:

karnak
Club Player

He had me at hello :D

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
avid
Club Player

Moods wrote:
avid wrote:I like what people have been saying about the Beaumeister here, but I didn't see very much of it at all on Sunday.
Yes he got to contests, and contested, and contested again. Which is more than Kosi gave us most of last year.
But .... he couldn't hold a mark, and he couldn't kick a goal (except for that one exceptional snap from the boundary!)
He was well beaten by experienced defenders. Just because they were experienced doesn't suddenly mean Beau did really really relatively well.
I do think The Meister is our best bet for full forward this season. But Sunday left me slightly concerned, not celebrating, like some here.
What game were you watching? He wasn't close to BOG but he certainly created stacks of chances for our plethora of small blokes. He also got himself to the right positions plenty of times as well, just failed to hold the mark. Certainly didn't look out of his depth or that Mundy or Richards were monstering him at all. He kicked straight like he normally does, he would have had at least 3 goals and everyone would have been raving about his game.
Obviously the same game as you! We saw all the same things.
But "just failed to hold a mark", "didn't look out of his depth" and 'would have kicked 3 if he'd kicked straight' isn't what I'd call a stand-out audition for the job, let alone a "close to BOG" performance, as you'd have it.
I think we're arguing how half-full or -empty the glass is on the very same evidence. Even by your own account, I wouldn't think our confidence should be anywhere near brimming over.

My better hopes for the Beaumeister are based on previous games.
Last edited by avid on Thu 07 Mar 2013 4:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Quixote
SS Life Member

My opinion is he'll have his off days, but bigger picture we know what we'll get from him and across the board he'll be pretty consistent. I also think that occasionally, he'll rip a game apart.

Just save that last one for the GF Beau.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
matrix
Saintsational Legend

in my 22

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beau looks a different player now -he is so much fitter and making more contests and chasing. We sat behind goals and watched him up close and he was Rooey like in the amount of running he did.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Will be a valuable player for us, not necessarily a star, but he will either take a mark, or make a contest for the smalls to crumb. Much more effective than a big forward who doesn't take a grab or is slow to get to a contest. Seems like a good bloke to have at the club.

Saints43
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:All I ever ask from any Saints player is they give the best with what theyve got.
Agreed. I don't know why anyone could expect anything more. As long as a player works hard and gets stuck in then they deserve our full support.

Any other issues are for the football club rather than the individual.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Moods wrote:
avid wrote:I like what people have been saying about the Beaumeister here, but I didn't see very much of it at all on Sunday.
Yes he got to contests, and contested, and contested again. Which is more than Kosi gave us most of last year.
But .... he couldn't hold a mark, and he couldn't kick a goal (except for that one exceptional snap from the boundary!)
He was well beaten by experienced defenders. Just because they were experienced doesn't suddenly mean Beau did really really relatively well.
I do think The Meister is our best bet for full forward this season. But Sunday left me slightly concerned, not celebrating, like some here.
What game were you watching? He wasn't close to BOG but he certainly created stacks of chances for our plethora of small blokes. He also got himself to the right positions plenty of times as well, just failed to hold the mark. Certainly didn't look out of his depth or that Mundy or Richards were monstering him at all. He kicked straight like he normally does, he would have had at least 3 goals and everyone would have been raving about his game.
But "just failed to hold a mark", "didn't look out of his depth" and 'would have kicke 3 if he'd kicked straight' isn't what I'd call a stand-out audition for the job, let alone a "close to BOG" performance, as you'd have it.
I think we're arguing how half-full or -empty the glass is on the same very evidence. Even by your own account, I wouldn't think our confidence should be anywhere near brimming over.

POssibly need to read my post again. I said he WASN'T close to BOG.... Also I believe his performance in a practice match can be rated on more things other than marks and goals kicked. Kosi for instance, is becoming too one dimensional. If he doesn't mark the ball he can't compete. The other concerning thing about him is that he's becoming weak in a one on one contest, therefore his opponents are not only spoiling but actually outmarking him, hence creating turnovers. I'm not saying that you reckon Kosi is a better option, but I think the comparsons are relevent to our fwd structure and what Watters is trying to achieve down there.

I reckon you need to look at the bigger picture. Very rare for inexperienced KP Fwds to dominate AFL matches. In fact it's hard for them to even have an impact at all. Beau's game can be easily rectified from 'contributing' to a very good game, by clunking the marks he was getting his hands on and normally takes, as well as kicking those goals he would normally kick. If he was getting out bustled easily and being run off by opposition defenders then I would fully agree with you - even if he did kick a couple of goals. We just need that sort of effort from WHOEVER plays down there to keep the pressure on the opposition.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

gringo wrote:Beau looks a different player now -he is so much fitter and making more contests and chasing. We sat behind goals and watched him up close and he was Rooey like in the amount of running he did.
:?

Now I'm confused Gringo. A fellow poster who's opinions (IMHO), far more so than not, do not match his initials, recently was adamant that Beau has not changed his appearance...?

Maybe we should insert a referendum question re this into either the upcoming federal or Victorian election, and let the people settle the matter...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bernard

He did not get votes against Meblourne. He was ridiculously subbed off by mistake...

What is the definition of a power forward?
A 6'4" inch 100kg fwd who contests high ball and busts packs...

He fits the bill
He is not an A Grade player.....by any means, but a Chris Dawes, Quentin Lynch style competitor...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
gringo wrote:Beau looks a different player now -he is so much fitter and making more contests and chasing. We sat behind goals and watched him up close and he was Rooey like in the amount of running he did.
:?

Now I'm confused Gringo. A fellow poster who's opinions (IMHO), far more so than not, do not match his initials, recently was adamant that Beau has not changed his appearance...?

Maybe we should insert a referendum question re this into either the upcoming federal or Victorian election, and let the people settle the matter...?

He looked like he was a piss pot tradie last year with a barrel shape. I don't think it's just the jumpers this year but they all look chiselled. Perhaps the lack of cafe facilities means all they can do for 6 hours in seaford is bench press. He looks in magnificent condition now as does Rhys and Armo. He also has changed his name to some thing more Germanic so he can continue the bizarre teutonic line of kraut power forwards- Loewe, Nietz, Schwartz, Gherig etc. I think with his new name he has announced he's ready to roll.

We should encourage the corrupt guy from frankston so that he demands several annexes onto the linen house now the vic libs need his votes. i can see Ted Bailliau driving hardware deliveries in the state car in the next few weeks, so why not get some infrastructure around our new house.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What is the definition of a power forward?
A 6'4" inch 100kg fwd who contests high ball and busts packs...

He fits the bill
He is not an A Grade player.....by any means, but a Chris Dawes, Quentin Lynch style competitor...
Yeah, I'm more convinced about this than I was previously. I don't expect him to kick more than about two goals a game on average, partly because he's not a great kick, but he now looks like an honest competitor who'll hit more packs than Kosi and also put on more pressure at ground level. He's not a particularly good mark but he's big and strong enough that he won't get outmarked very much, so that makes it potentially tricky for the opposition defence with a few small guys buzzing around. And he'll also present up to the wing a fair bit. Could easily fill a role in twenty games this year.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
BigMart wrote:So the game he kicked 5 was a shocker.... Because he got 3 Brownlow votes?!

Averaged 10 disposals, 1.5 goals, 1.2 tackles....not disgraceful... He was not AFL fit

VFL... I have it on good authority, that he was rated the best power forward in the VFL at midway point of the season....

I said he had a lucky one against Melbourne, got 3 Brownlow votes and what would the umpires know anyway.

If he was not AFL fit why was he selected?

I have it on good authority that he is not a power forward, except in the WAFL, the VFL, the SSFL or the Ammos.
So you would prefer Kosi in the team instead of Beau?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Really positive to see a new player putting his hand up for a spot.

And, I've got my fingers crossed that Lee can own full forward.

With Stanley, Kosi & Roo, we have tall options up forward, and the addition of Hickey means that McEvoy or Hickey could rest in the tradional forward pocket.

If Saad & Milera continue their development, and Trent Lane is any good, they can join Schnieder & Milne as small goal kickers.

We can look forward to a multi dimentional forward line, with lots of options.

Hopefully some of the small guys can rotate through the middle, and one of the big guys, like Nick, may even play back.

linz
Club Player

FORGET THE "G-TRAIN" NOW WE HAVE THE "BEAU BUS"

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:And, I've got my fingers crossed that Lee can own full forward.

With Stanley, Kosi & Roo, we have tall options up forward, and the addition of Hickey means that McEvoy or Hickey could rest in the tradional forward pocket.

If Saad & Milera continue their development, and Trent Lane is any good, they can join Schnieder & Milne as small goal kickers.

We can look forward to a multi dimentional forward line, with lots of options.
It's definitely multi-dimensional as you've painted it!

F: Milne, Kosi, Lee, Saad, McEvoy/Hickey
HF: Milera, Stanley, Roo, Dennis-Lane, Schneider

We might be a little lacking in other areas of the ground, but good luck containing that forward line.

avid
Club Player

Moods wrote:
avid wrote:
Moods wrote:What game were you watching? He wasn't close to BOG but he certainly created stacks of chances for our plethora of small blokes. He also got himself to the right positions plenty of times as well, just failed to hold the mark. Certainly didn't look out of his depth or that Mundy or Richards were monstering him at all. He kicked straight like he normally does, he would have had at least 3 goals and everyone would have been raving about his game.
But "just failed to hold a mark", "didn't look out of his depth" and 'would have kicke 3 if he'd kicked straight' isn't what I'd call a stand-out audition for the job, let alone a "close to BOG" performance, as you'd have it.
I think we're arguing how half-full or -empty the glass is on the same very evidence. Even by your own account, I wouldn't think our confidence should be anywhere near brimming over.

POssibly need to read my post again. I said he WASN'T close to BOG.... Also I believe his performance in a practice match can be rated on more things other than marks and goals kicked. Kosi for instance, is becoming too one dimensional. If he doesn't mark the ball he can't compete. The other concerning thing about him is that he's becoming weak in a one on one contest, therefore his opponents are not only spoiling but actually outmarking him, hence creating turnovers. I'm not saying that you reckon Kosi is a better option, but I think the comparsons are relevent to our fwd structure and what Watters is trying to achieve down there.

I reckon you need to look at the bigger picture. Very rare for inexperienced KP Fwds to dominate AFL matches. In fact it's hard for them to even have an impact at all. Beau's game can be easily rectified from 'contributing' to a very good game, by clunking the marks he was getting his hands on and normally takes, as well as kicking those goals he would normally kick. If he was getting out bustled easily and being run off by opposition defenders then I would fully agree with you - even if he did kick a couple of goals. We just need that sort of effort from WHOEVER plays down there to keep the pressure on the opposition.
Completely agree.
(Can't figure out now where we were disagreeing!)

Sturgeon

Maister is gonna smash packs apart this year. Bring our mozzie fleet into the game with lots of crumbs. Provide a perfect decoy for Roo.
Clunk a few marks and snag a few goals himself. He´s our LRT and I love the blokes heart. Bring it on Maister Blaster.

What does not kill us ...makes the Saints stronger !
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

He's taken a step forward from last year and is now in front of koz... but that doesn't make him a real weapon yet.

The only way he'll ever approach any kind of legitimate A-grade status imo is if he does what Fraser did and stacks on 10-15kg over the coming years and becomes a gorilla FF. He looks to have the right body shape for it to me, barrell-chested like Gehrig, and he's only 24-25 and just now getting into the swing of AFL footy, he's still got time. Could be a great late-bloomer.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he puts on 15 kg he will be the second heaviest player in the AFL at 114 kg which is 4 kg heavier than tony locket and 8kg heavier than Travis Cloke.... Why would anyone need to be that big.

He already is about 98kg and in the KF role you need to be able to cover the ground.....

Plus Beau is turning 28.... He really is just a stop gap measure whilst we develop Lee/Stanley/White and find another...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:

Plus Beau is turning 28.... He really is just a stop gap measure whilst we develop Lee/Stanley/White and find another...
27 on March 20.

While it would be great if he became an A-grader...it will be more than satisfactory if that he is just a useful and solid, rather than great forward.

He may be just a season or two, or maybe longer (ie Roos knee may limit him to two years).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
BigMart wrote:So the game he kicked 5 was a shocker.... Because he got 3 Brownlow votes?!

Averaged 10 disposals, 1.5 goals, 1.2 tackles....not disgraceful... He was not AFL fit

VFL... I have it on good authority, that he was rated the best power forward in the VFL at midway point of the season....

I said he had a lucky one against Melbourne, got 3 Brownlow votes and what would the umpires know anyway.

If he was not AFL fit why was he selected?

I have it on good authority that he is not a power forward, except in the WAFL, the VFL, the SSFL or the Ammos.
So you would prefer Kosi in the team instead of Beau?
No, Kosi is gone for good, but if Beau is the answer we're rooted.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If Lee isn't better than Beau we should sack our recruiting department!