Big Beau

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big Beau

He's servicable and probably the best available we have to play at ff at the moment.

I was reasonably impressed with his game Sunday. Just the fact that he kept on presenting and running and getting to contests. He's strong and can do something with it when it hits the deck.

Lee gets another chance to show something Saturday and may well turn out a gun, but he hasn't knocked the door down so far. These things take time.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:...if Beau is the answer we're rooted.
Whether it's Beau, Kosi or someone else, I doubt the FF spot plays a major role in determining where we, or anyone else, finishes on the ladder. I don't believe a second key forward is anywhere near that important right now. Hawthorn was the only team to get 40 goals out of two talls. Most deep forwards were getting between one and two a game. Collingwood made top-4 with Dawes doing virtually nothing. My guess is we'll get about 30-40 goals out of our FFs, no matter where we finish on the ladder.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
karnak
Club Player

It's not the goals they kick - but the contests that they're able to compete in to get the ball to advantage.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
but if Beau is the answer we're rooted.
Don't think Beau and the Saints were invited to Rooty Hill................. that's only for Westies, not Seaford types :wink:

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Maister actually plays a bit smarter than Koschitzke and Riewoldt when the flight of the ball is not in his favour. The latter two are see-ball, get-ball types. That's not a knock on those two guys, but their focus is purely to attempt to mark the ball on nearly all occasions, except Kosi when crashing in from behind. Maister actually positions himself well to assist his small forwards when it's clear he is not in a very good position to mark the ball, particularly when he's got that front position. Note that he uses his body to make sure the ball falls to a particular side, normally the inside. Kosi, in particular, does not do this well at all

Maister was awful as a defender last year, and you could see that his aerobic fitness was way short until it improved later in the season. He's a hard worker and he gives everything he's got. The name Chris Dawes came up earlier in this thread. I'd have Maister over Dawes every day of the week, and Melbourne coughed up pick 18 for him!!!!!!

I'm confident Maister will be an important player for us this year. He'll have his quiet games, like most forwards, but we can all be confident that he'll leave nothing in the tank when he walks off the ground each week. He may have some doubters eating their words.