The Under 23's

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

The Under 23's

If we look at the blokes under-or currently- 23, then going forward (as the list stands at the moment), we'd look something a little like this...

EDITED for perspective on height and weight. Sub-issue: kids are freakin' HUGE these days... Ave HT 189.58cm, Ave WT 84.95kg.

FB: Simpkin (191, 92) // Stanley (200, 96) // Roberton (194, 88)
HB: Wright (185, 77) // Lever (200, 87) // Ferguson (194, 89)
CR: Siposs (189, 90) // Ross (187, 86) // Newnes (184, 81)
RK: Hickey (201, 94) // Curren (178, 78) // Steven (180, 79)
HF: Murdoch (188, 78) // Lee (194, 91) // Markworth (189, 84)
FF: Pierce (202, 88) // White (196, 84) // Minchington (179, 82)

INT: Dunell (189, 84) // Saunders (180, 78) // Ledger (178, 79)
SUB: Shenton (188, 83)

EM: Webster (188, 78) // Staley (194, 93)

It's not the best team out there, and no doubt someone will come along and completely slate it, but its better than our future was looking 2 years ago.

There's a few potential A-graders in there, some very promising kids, and a super X-factor forward (White). We still look a little brittle down the spine, and Pierce will definitely need to come on, but I'm getting happier.

nb: McEvoy and Saad, while 23, were a touch too old for the hypothetical. Dunell just sneaks in.

And I'm well aware I posted this word-for-word in another thread, I thought it merited some wider discussion.
Last edited by Uncle Barrels on Fri 15 Mar 2013 4:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Under 23's

good op

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Did you realise that at the start of 2009 we had 23 players who were under 23 when the season started. Now if i named them, in hindsight we would say most were rubbish, but I reckon we would have had a similar thread back then. What is does prove is our recruiting was rubbish as there were plenty there who were young enough but it also suggests but not proves a lot of the players named here will also struggle to really make it.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

I'm not sure thats true P66. Back then I think the attitude was, well, we'll win one or a couple over the next few years, so who cares. I think people acknowledged our depth was rubbish.

Now its not. I hope most of them make it. I'm sure that won't occur. Ledger for instance seems to have started brightly and then gone nowhere. But its cause for (cautious) optimism.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Uncle Barrels wrote:I'm not sure thats true P66. Back then I think the attitude was, well, we'll win one or a couple over the next few years, so who cares. I think people acknowledged our depth was rubbish.

Now its not. I hope most of them make it. I'm sure that won't occur. Ledger for instance seems to have started brightly and then gone nowhere. But its cause for (cautious) optimism.

They acknowledge our depth back then was rubbish in hindsight. There were plenty of threads telling us how good Nick Heyne would be or Ross T or many others. Surely you dont think our recruiters didnt care because they thought we should win a flag. I agree our depth looks better but i can also remember people telling how good our recruiting was in 2010 and only Siposs has really kicked on. Others are struggling or gone.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

I'm not suggesting for a second the recruiters didn't care, and I think you know that. I was referring to the prevailing attitude of the supporter base at the time in response to your suggestion that we would have had similar threads back then. As I recall all that was said about Rossy T was that he was exciting, and that Heyne was well-credentialed. I don't think anyone was suggesting they were world-beaters, nor am I suggesting that the current crop necessarily are.

However to suggest that people were as bullish about our potential in the unders age category then as I am being now is simply not quite right

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im not going to doubt pluggs on this but i do recall there was a stat going around the AFL about games played by people under 23 and we were the lowest by miles and most people explained that way by sayign it was because were up the top of the ladder and sh*t clubs were just gifting games to youngsters because they were youngsters which is also probably true to a certain extent.

But I guess the facts of the matter are Siposs, Hickey, Newnes, Roberton, Simpkin, Steven, Dunell, Stanley are genuine senior players with actual real games to their names. Whereas in 09 I think only mcqualter, geary and eddie and armo had games to their names and 2 of those have gone and history tells us they were probably gifted games - so we were doing terribly any way you look at it. For instance the swans just won a flag but im sure they have more than 4 guys under 23 with actual afl games so the 'contender' argument is pretty weak.

Also - Tommy Lee & Nate Wright must be very very close to actually playing. So i guess if most of these 10 guys are good we are much better off. If most of them turn out rubbish we will turn out rubbish. But whether its rational or not I'm much more rosier about our future than i was 2 years back.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 15 Mar 2013 5:32pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thomas
Club Player

Agree with you cg add to the ones you mentioned Mac andSaad who are just over 23, there is potential for our team to climb up the ladder a few rungs.

PS: I still hope Ferguson might take the next step.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure every team in the league could produce a similar or better list.

Hard to get excited when the whole front six haven't played a game between them.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:I'm sure every team in the league could produce a similar or better list.

Hard to get excited when the whole front six haven't played a game between them.
*sigh*

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thomas wrote:Agree with you cg add to the ones you mentioned Mac andSaad who are just over 23, there is potential for our team to climb up the ladder a few rungs.

PS: I still hope Ferguson might take the next step.
Untimely setback, had surgery....

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Chances are that at least five of those guys will be gone in the near future. I'd say Siposs will be solid, as will Newnes and Simpkin. Hickey is a good tap ruckman and will get better. Wright will most likely make it. As for Curren, Lever, Minchington, Ferguson, Webster, Dunnell, Ross, Ledger, Webster, Markworth, Lee, Roberton, Saunders, Murdoch, Pearce, Staley, & Shenton, don't be surprised if only one goes on to be a top line player and three others become mid range performers like Farren Ray. That's 4 out of 17. The rest will, unfortunately, be playing in lower leagues in two years time. It's brutal, but based on the typical lifespan of an AFL player, a reality.

Which ones will make the grade? Perhaps we have a nearest to the pin / crystal ball competition and see who gets it right?

I'd love to see more of Minchington, Pearce, Murdoch, Webster, Saunders, & Staley to get an impression of them.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

I think Murdoch's got the tools to make it, and God help me I hope Sam Dunell makes it - got a soft spot for mature agers from the Ammos...

With all the comparisons to Buddy I'm also genuinely excited by the prospect of Spencer White too

saint-stu
Club Player

Uncle Barrels wrote:I think Murdoch's got the tools to make it, and God help me I hope Sam Dunell makes it - got a soft spot for mature agers from the Ammos...

With all the comparisons to Buddy I'm also genuinely excited by the prospect of Spencer White too
There was a lot to like about Murdoch in the Melbourne game.

He's only 19 but is a decent size and was very composed under pressure.

1ac46a38
spot on
Club Player

Yeah really looking forward to seeing Murdock this year, him and wright look ready to play 5 or so games this year each